BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Camber Plates Design Comparison

08-10-2021, 10:27 AM   #67
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfax028 View Post
Great video for starters. I to just install Ohlins with the GC camber plates. I love the Ohlins kit. The GC plates, I don't like at all. Tons of noise when driving slowly.

On my M235i I had the M2 Ohlins kit modified to fit the f22. I ran the Vorshlag Camber plates. Still a lil noisy but nothing like these GC plates.

LESSON LEARNED!!!! Now I need my CC .
May want to check your install - I have Ohlins / GC plates with zero noise what so ever.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 03:45 PM   #68
Doublej
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2022 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatingpizzainthef87rules View Post
May want to check your install - I have Ohlins / GC plates with zero noise what so ever.
Agree with this. I don't have Ohlins but I have the GC plates which have zero noise. I had GC plates on a prior vehicle as well, no noise.

Be sure you have the proper bushings on the strut shaft and that you've tightened the strut nut(s) to spec. Also check all of the other bolts on the plate. Mine were competition model so they had the strut brace plate on top. All the bolts were loose (and some fell out actually)

JJ
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 08:12 PM   #69
Shadowfax028
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

GC Conttol Plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublej View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatingpizzainthef87rules View Post
Agree with this. I don't have Ohlins but I have the GC plates which have zero noise. I had GC plates on a prior vehicle as well, no noise.

Be sure you have the proper bushings on the strut shaft and that you've tightened the strut nut(s) to spec. Also check all of the other bolts on the plate. Mine were competition model so they had the strut brace plate on top. All the bolts were loose (and some fell out actually)

JJ
Hmmmm the correct bushings!
have a pic for what they should look like?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 11:47 AM   #70
Doublej
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2022 911 GT3

Quote:
I don't have any right now since they're on the car but my GC plates came with MCS suspension specific bushings. (when you order the plates they ask you what suspension system you're using).

I'll try to find a pic.

JJ
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 09:51 PM   #71
Shadowfax028
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublej View Post
Quote:
I don't have any right now since they're on the car but my GC plates came with MCS suspension specific bushings. (when you order the plates they ask you what suspension system you're using).

I'll try to find a pic.

JJ
On my 2017 M2, I'm running Ohlins Coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 02:14 AM   #72
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Well finally fitted the negative camber hubs and took off the Millway camber plates. Not seen the camber settings but looks similar to Millway just a fraction less so guessing 2.25 degrees

Interesting I think the ride height dropped a few mm with the Millway and is now bang on the previous ride heights

Only done a few miles but nvh nicely back to the car I remember steering and grip feels similar, perhaps marginally blunter and less precise moderating steering mid corner. The front and rear seem more connected more together with damping as well.

I’ll be selling the Millway Camber plates after about 500 miles and a lot of labour fitment costs

In my view tick for a track Day focused car and cross for a road car I’ll write a longer write up after a week or so
Appreciate 1
CSBM52721.00
      08-28-2021, 12:46 PM   #73
vale007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e82 1 M coupe

bilstein clubsport allow -4 at the topmount :-) at the moment i‘m running-3.5 with pirelli semi slicks, they cope very well with the high camber
Attached Images

Last edited by vale007; 08-28-2021 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
CSBM52721.00
      09-24-2021, 09:43 PM   #74
alpineogm2
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 bmw m2, '91 318is, '03 e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
For a while I've thought, "All the monoball camber plates are pretty much the same." Having the recent luxury of having three different makes of monball camber plates (Ground Control, Vorshlag, and Millway) and inspecting them further I've found that my perception was really wrong. There are clear design differences with each, translating into strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Index
-0:00 Intro
-0:25 Ground Control Overview
-2:21 Ground Control Thrust Bearing/Spring Perch
-3:50 Ground Control Strut Brace Ring
-5:59 Ground Control Camber Adjustment
-6:58 Ground Control Monoball
-9:34 Vorshlag Overview
-10:48 Vorshlag Monoball
-12:45 Vorshlag Camber Adjustment
-13:05 Vorshlag Thrust Bearing/Spring Perch
-15:39 Millway Overview
-17:14 Millway Thrust Bearing/Spring Perch
-18:49 Millway Monoball
-21:50 Camber Plate Mounting Hardware
-23:26 Closing Thoughts
*EDIT*
As a follow up, if you're wondering how to replace the monoballs in your Millway camber plates I made the video below on the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Index
-0:00 Intro
-0:16 Monoball sleeve/shim removal
-1:26 Locking ring removal
-3:59 Pressing out the monoball
-6:09 Pressing in the new monoball
-9:25 Locking ring installation.
-11:51 Monoball sleeve/shim installation
-12:34 Monoball dimensions and closing remarks
hi, i have millway (street) camber plates i installed in april with Kw v3 coilovers. i'm running -3.0 degree's of camber up front and i tracked it quite often this summer... for the past three weeks or so i've started noticing a sound coming from my front right coilover like a busted link kit. yet i checked everything, and to my surprise, if i push the bottom of the wheel, then the top, my actual shock seems to be LOOSE inside the camber plate ?!?! has anyone else had this problem.
thanks !
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 01:50 AM   #75
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineogm2 View Post
hi, i have millway (street) camber plates i installed in april with Kw v3 coilovers. i'm running -3.0 degree's of camber up front and i tracked it quite often this summer... for the past three weeks or so i've started noticing a sound coming from my front right coilover like a busted link kit. yet i checked everything, and to my surprise, if i push the bottom of the wheel, then the top, my actual shock seems to be LOOSE inside the camber plate ?!?! has anyone else had this problem.
thanks !
You got a video of the play in the camber plate? Not just the top but loose?
      09-27-2021, 07:59 PM   #76
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
thanks !
Assume you've checked that your strut top nut & the plate adjustment screws are all torqued correctly?
I have Millway street plates with Ohlins R&T, go between -3.0 for track & -2.0 for street without any issues, have done 20K km since installing the Millway's.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 08:19 PM   #77
alpineogm2
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 bmw m2, '91 318is, '03 e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
Assume you've checked that your strut top nut & the plate adjustment screws are all torqued correctly?
I have Millway street plates with Ohlins R&T, go between -3.0 for track & -2.0 for street without any issues, have done 20K km since installing the Millway's.
yes i made sure the top nut didnt come loose, it happenned before!
my home track in qc is very harsh haha
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 04:27 PM   #78
oranzada_m2c
Enlisted Member
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: M2C 2019

Quote:
yes i made sure the top nut didnt come loose, it happenned before!
my home track in qc is very harsh haha
i have same problem... how did you finish? probably bad dampers from bmw kw?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 11:12 AM   #79
kthor703
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

So mid to late last year, I heard mention that Vorschlag and Millway (?) were making updates to their kits. Do we know if this happened already for each company?

Also, I saw mention of slider access concerns with Milway. Is this only with the street and OG M2s?

Looking to get ~3 deg at the front of a 2021 M2C and wondering the best option between Vorschlag and Millway. Could entertain the street option on the Millway plates.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 03:12 PM   #80
TripleU
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17 M2, 23 Ford F150 Raptor

Garage List
  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthor703 View Post
So mid to late last year, I heard mention that Vorschlag and Millway (?) were making updates to their kits. Do we know if this happened already for each company?

Also, I saw mention of slider access concerns with Milway. Is this only with the street and OG M2s?

Looking to get ~3 deg at the front of a 2021 M2C and wondering the best option between Vorschlag and Millway. Could entertain the street option on the Millway plates.

Thanks in advance.
Yes as to Vorshlag. I had the older camber plates for my stock suspension and since I was very happy with them, I decided to get a second pair for my Ohlins Road and Track suspension. My second pair of camber plates allow for more camber than my older ones.

FaRKle! made a video on the updated design.

Past: 2015 Lexus IS 250, 2014 Volkswagen CC R-Line
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2022, 07:49 PM   #81
kthor703
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

I got in touch with Millway via their email contact form. Turns out there is a new version for 2022, with a larger bearing. The website isn't fully updated yet, but the OG M2 part on their site indicates a "2022" version.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2022, 12:00 AM   #82
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthor703 View Post
I got in touch with Millway via their email contact form. Turns out there is a new version for 2022, with a larger bearing. The website isn't fully updated yet, but the OG M2 part on their site indicates a "2022" version.
That's great to hear! I also heard GC might've come out with an updated design to address some of my complaints.

See, when we highlight deficiencies in products, it motivates manufacturers to give us better ones!

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 4
CSBM52721.00
gphung193.50
TripleU170.00
      03-04-2022, 11:33 PM   #83
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

PM us with any questions you may have regarding Vorshlag camber plates. We are a stocking dealer and often keep Ohlins and MCS plates on hand.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 05:01 PM   #84
fleetfoot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2013 E92 328i

I wouldn't recommend Vorshlag

After doing my research and watching farkle's video, it seemed like Vorshlag was definitely the way to go for camber plates. They seem like a great small business with robust parts design. My race shop recommended Ground Control, but I was adamant that I wanted Vorshlag. Now I'm regretting that decision.

First Straw
I had to wait a month after purchase to receive my camber plates. This resulted in me running 2 more track days with stock alignment settings and prematurely killing a set of front tires.

Second Straw
The Vorshlag plates require a sketchy/unusual install method of using an impact wrench on the top nut, which is generally frowned upon due to the (apparently slight) risk of damaging the strut. I spent way too much time digging in to this process to understand it so I could explain exactly what I wanted to my shop.

Third Straw
A friend with fairly new Vorshlag camber plates on his 335i had ball joint failure even though the installer swears they used the impact wrench install method described above. Now I'm nervous about the lifespan of my plates. Rebuilds are cheap, but who wants to pay for the labor to uninstall/re-install?

The Last Straw
Vorshlag sent the wrong top nut for the kit that I ordered, but this wasn't apparent until my shop had my front strut disassembled. Apparently Vorshlag accidentally included an F22 OEM strut top nut, even though I specified my order was for an 2017 F87 M2. I called Vorshlag and they kindly overnighted the correct part at no cost. But I'll be without my daily-driver car for a couple days due to the install delay, which is resulting in $150+ in Uber rides (from the shop and to work) and lots of wasted time. I won't be surprised if my shop tacks on another hour of labor ($115) for the troubleshooting.

If I could go back in time, I would just purchase the Ground Control plates. With that life choice I'd still have:
1) a semi-fresh set of front tires
2) $265+ in my pocket
3) some hours of my life back
      10-20-2022, 10:25 AM   #85
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfoot View Post
After doing my research and watching farkle's video, it seemed like Vorshlag was definitely the way to go for camber plates. They seem like a great small business with robust parts design. My race shop recommended Ground Control, but I was adamant that I wanted Vorshlag. Now I'm regretting that decision.

First Straw
I had to wait a month after purchase to receive my camber plates. This resulted in me running 2 more track days with stock alignment settings and prematurely killing a set of front tires.

[COLOR="Red"]sounds like a first world problem or you didn't confirm availability before ordering[/COLOR]

Second Straw
The Vorshlag plates require a sketchy/unusual install method of using an impact wrench on the top nut, which is generally frowned upon due to the (apparently slight) risk of damaging the strut. I spent way too much time digging in to this process to understand it so I could explain exactly what I wanted to my shop.

[COLOR="Red"]I have never used an impact and never had an issue. If insisting using an impact I would not recommend their video approach however just a nip. Just my opinion[/COLOR]

Third Straw
A friend with fairly new Vorshlag camber plates on his 335i had ball joint failure even though the installer swears they used the impact wrench install method described above. Now I'm nervous about the lifespan of my plates. Rebuilds are cheap, but who wants to pay for the labor to uninstall/re-install?

[COLOR="Red"]see above[/COLOR]

The Last Straw
Vorshlag sent the wrong top nut for the kit that I ordered, but this wasn't apparent until my shop had my front strut disassembled. Apparently Vorshlag accidentally included an F22 OEM strut top nut, even though I specified my order was for an 2017 F87 M2. I called Vorshlag and they kindly overnighted the correct part at no cost. But I'll be without my daily-driver car for a couple days due to the install delay, which is resulting in $150+ in Uber rides (from the shop and to work) and lots of wasted time. I won't be surprised if my shop tacks on another hour of labor ($115) for the troubleshooting.

[COLOR="Red"]that sucks. Time to learn to wrench on your own car. Saves $$ in the long run. But yes, when you order something you expect to be shipped the correct item[/COLOR]

If I could go back in time, I would just purchase the Ground Control plates. With that life choice I'd still have:
1) a semi-fresh set of front tires
2) $265+ in my pocket
3) some hours of my life back
[COLOR="Red"]could be worse, you could have a deposit on a new G Series M2[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]personally I still believe you made the correct decision[/COLOR]
      10-22-2022, 01:08 PM   #86
fleetfoot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2013 E92 328i

So I've finally got the Vorshlag plates installed. I aligned the front to -2.8 degrees of camber and 0.04 total toe. No issues with NVH. I will say it's a little more work to keep the car straight on the interstate, but not too bad. My tires are still brand new, so no comments on performance yet.

The shop mentioned that the springs didn't seat properly on the camber plates the first time they took the car off the lift. They raised the car back up and manually guided the springs onto the plates with a pole or something like that, but it required 2 people. I'm planning to have my car jacked up regularly while swapping pads by myself, so this sounds like it could be a major pain.

I reached out to Vorshlag and asked if I could let the spring not seat properly, and then drive a couple turns until they drop into place, and they said there wouldn't be any risk from doing this, there would just be a loud clang when the springs drop. Does that approach seem reasonable to you all?
      10-22-2022, 06:39 PM   #87
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep

fleetfoot not sure on your setup but with a bit of toe in as you have it shouldn't wander to much.

If you are running c/o without helper springs then maybe look into this as it will stop the spring unseating at full droop.
      10-23-2022, 12:28 AM   #88
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfoot View Post
So I've finally got the Vorshlag plates installed. I aligned the front to -2.8 degrees of camber and 0.04 total toe. No issues with NVH. I will say it's a little more work to keep the car straight on the interstate, but not too bad. My tires are still brand new, so no comments on performance yet.

The shop mentioned that the springs didn't seat properly on the camber plates the first time they took the car off the lift. They raised the car back up and manually guided the springs onto the plates with a pole or something like that, but it required 2 people. I'm planning to have my car jacked up regularly while swapping pads by myself, so this sounds like it could be a major pain.

I reached out to Vorshlag and asked if I could let the spring not seat properly, and then drive a couple turns until they drop into place, and they said there wouldn't be any risk from doing this, there would just be a loud clang when the springs drop. Does that approach seem reasonable to you all?
There has to be enough pre-load on the strut spring to keep it properly seated when the car is jacked up otherwise every time a front wheel left the ground while driving you'd be at risk of the spring becoming unseated. Once installed & correctly seated you shouldn't need to worry about this again.
Appreciate 0