BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Trade in Value thread

09-22-2021, 01:25 PM   #309
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewaterPete View Post
Lol! So true. I have a 7 year old that is itching to drive the M2 because it’s loud and fast. We are already hiding keys in our house.
My dad taught me to drive the old manual pickup truck when I was 9 so beware 😂.
Appreciate 1
NEfan5082658.50
      09-22-2021, 01:40 PM   #310
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwM2CLBB View Post
Just sold mine to CarMax for 57,4
Purchased two years ago for 58,5! All things considered this was a very nice two year cheap rental
Was this yours?
Holy smokes, that mark up. $67k lmao

https://www.carmax.com/car/21279619

2013 F30 328i (12/2015 - 09/2020) SOLD!
Appreciate 1
Bumpinjeep5466.50
      09-22-2021, 05:04 PM   #311
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
My dad taught me to drive the old manual pickup truck when I was 9 so beware 😂.
Yep, me too. Learned on my uncle’s farm. 1969 Ford F100 three on the tree!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 05:07 PM   #312
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTAR View Post
Was this yours?
Holy smokes, that mark up. $67k lmao

https://www.carmax.com/car/21279619
Prices are just insane right now. You scored huge on that trade. I probably have spent more of pizzas over the past two years than you spent to drive a great car!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 05:29 PM   #313
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I guess people don't include sales tax, title and dealer fees in the original purchase price? You don't get that back lol.
bromudez253.50
      09-22-2021, 06:33 PM   #314
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I guess people don't include sales tax, title and dealer fees in the original purchase price? You don't get that back lol.
Don't forget maintenance, insurance and yearly registration. Cars are not cheap to keep.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10131.00
      09-22-2021, 11:14 PM   #315
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pete View Post
Well. Got an offer of $57k for my 19 M2C with 58xx miles. Im tempted to take it...
That is an insane price on a 19 M2C , jump on it
A 19 is better because it's easier to tune.
Appreciate 2
M3R12164.00
      09-23-2021, 06:37 AM   #316
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
I didn’t forget it. In fact just for fun, I also included insurance cost ($612 a year) and gas for the two years and I still came out more than what I put in after two years. I almost got paid for loving and housing my M2C for the 18 months. I understand this moment in time is a anomaly in the car industry. Unless you “need” your M2C, I see no down side in taking advantage of selling it now. You can buy a clean example again if you miss it in 2 more years for $40k.

Last edited by MystroX5; 09-23-2021 at 06:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 07:59 AM   #317
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I didn’t forget it. In fact just for fun, I also included insurance cost ($612 a year) and gas for the two years and I still came out more than what I put in after two years. I almost got paid for loving and housing my M2C for the 18 months. I understand this moment in time is a anomaly in the car industry. Unless you “need” your M2C, I see no down side in taking advantage of selling it now. You can buy a clean example again if you miss it in 2 more years for $40k.
I guess no one has really answered my question here... in my scenario it would be approx a $6K cost over 2 years which is minimal... but again that's due to the given scenario that we are in. I ask again, if you're selling a car with the intention of buying another, what are you buying now and what kind of deal are you getting? If you're selling off items, you can make money on anything... check the prices of Rolex watches or frankly any major asset.

This is a sell high buy high market...
      09-23-2021, 09:34 AM   #318
Steelguin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HHS/DCT

Quote:
Don't forget maintenance, insurance and yearly registration. Cars are not cheap to keep.
Which is over 600.00 here behind the Orange Curtain in Kali.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 10:01 AM   #319
bromudez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Agreed. Definitely have to add any dealer bogus fees + freight/PDI + taxes.

Whatever that total comes out to... that's what you subtract your private sale price from. The difference is cost of ownership.

Not as sexy when you do it that way but with the market being as hot as it is Im sure the differential is still way better than what it would be in a regular market
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #320
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Cost of ownership is usually candy coated by car enthsiasts so as not to rain on their parade but that's ok, we humans are great at justifying anything that we really want 😂.
Appreciate 2
swampfox941186.50
jdubm2c169.00
      09-23-2021, 11:21 AM   #321
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I guess no one has really answered my question here... in my scenario it would be approx a $6K cost over 2 years which is minimal... but again that's due to the given scenario that we are in. I ask again, if you're selling a car with the intention of buying another, what are you buying now and what kind of deal are you getting? If you're selling off items, you can make money on anything... check the prices of Rolex watches or frankly any major asset.

This is a sell high buy high market...

I am not buying anything right now. The M2C for me was a fun car or toy that wasn’t a “necessity“. I don’t need another fun car as I have a garage of toys and classic 911. I wouldn’t sell anything that is really hard to replace. The M2C in the grand scheme is not really hard to replace. That said, I wouldn’t sell my M2C if it was my one and only toy.
When I do buy another “modern” fun car, it will be when the market is back to normal and I probably will go more upscale. Buying anything new now is crazy. Look into classic vehicles and out of the mainstream market if you do want to buy.
I am also killing it with my watch collection and have sold off a few that don’t get much wrist time. . As long as you’re well diversified, anything is really for sale at the right price. It’s when you have put yourself in a situation with limited options is when buying and selling becomes more complicated.

Last edited by MystroX5; 09-23-2021 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 11:30 AM   #322
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I am not buying anything right now. I don’t need another fun car as I have a garage of toys and classic 911. When I do buy another “modern” fun car, it will be when the market is back to normal and I probably will go more upscale. I am also killing it with my watch collection and have sold off a few that don’t get much wrist time.
Ahhh, I watch collector guy. I went down that road for awhile before I discovered that I was in over my head with so many savie collectors out there. I still love watches. I have to admit that these days I usually wear my smartwatch because it's so practical. I designed the screen display graphics myself including a BMW logo 😉.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 11:34 AM   #323
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ahhh, I watch collector guy. I went down that road for awhile before I discovered that I was in over my head with so many savie collectors out there. I still love watches. I have to admit that these days I usually wear my smartwatch because it's so practical. I designed the screen display graphics myself including a BMW logo ��.
Yup, I have into automatics for 30 years now and the entire hobby has changed the last 3 years. My collection lately has consistent mainly of Rolex and Panerai but I have owned them all over the years. The new Sub41 was my latest and I highly recommend it as Rolex got everything right with the design. It’s damn near perfect modern version of the Sub.

Last edited by MystroX5; 09-23-2021 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 12:13 PM   #324
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I am not buying anything right now. The M2C for me was a fun car or toy that wasn’t a “necessity“. I don’t need another fun car as I have a garage of toys and classic 911. I wouldn’t sell anything that is really hard to replace. The M2C in the grand scheme is not really hard to replace. That said, I wouldn’t sell my M2C if it was my one and only toy.
When I do buy another “modern” fun car, it will be when the market is back to normal and I probably will go more upscale. Buying anything new now is crazy. Look into classic vehicles and out of the mainstream market if you do want to buy.
I am also killing it with my watch collection and have sold off a few that don’t get much wrist time. . As long as you’re well diversified, anything is really for sale at the right price. It’s when you have put yourself in a situation with limited options is when buying and selling becomes more complicated.
If you don't need it and don't need to replace I get it... but that's now what most people are doing since they still need another replacement car.

As far as "replacing the m2", I can only think of the G80 and that's not the same car... so not really, there aren't many replacements right now that serve as a dual purpose GT in that package.
      09-23-2021, 01:47 PM   #325
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
I am not buying anything right now. The M2C for me was a fun car or toy that wasn't a "necessity". I don't need another fun car as I have a garage of toys and classic 911. I wouldn't sell anything that is really hard to replace. The M2C in the grand scheme is not really hard to replace. That said, I wouldn't sell my M2C if it was my one and only toy.
When I do buy another "modern" fun car, it will be when the market is back to normal and I probably will go more upscale. Buying anything new now is crazy. Look into classic vehicles and out of the mainstream market if you do want to buy.
I am also killing it with my watch collection and have sold off a few that don't get much wrist time. . As long as you're well diversified, anything is really for sale at the right price. It's when you have put yourself in a situation with limited options is when buying and selling becomes more complicated.
If you don't need it and don't need to replace I get it... but that's now what most people are doing since they still need another replacement car.

As far as "replacing the m2", I can only think of the G80 and that's not the same car... so not really, there aren't many replacements right now that serve as a dual purpose GT in that package.
For the price point and the practicality it offers it's hard to replace the M2C but if you go a notch up you can get into a Porsche (of course it will be still less practical) or the G80 which I heard is a great ride as long as you can live with the looks.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 1
ASAP10131.00
      09-23-2021, 02:08 PM   #326
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I am not buying anything right now. The M2C for me was a fun car or toy that wasn't a "necessity". I don't need another fun car as I have a garage of toys and classic 911. I wouldn't sell anything that is really hard to replace. The M2C in the grand scheme is not really hard to replace. That said, I wouldn't sell my M2C if it was my one and only toy.
When I do buy another "modern" fun car, it will be when the market is back to normal and I probably will go more upscale. Buying anything new now is crazy. Look into classic vehicles and out of the mainstream market if you do want to buy.
I am also killing it with my watch collection and have sold off a few that don't get much wrist time. . As long as you're well diversified, anything is really for sale at the right price. It's when you have put yourself in a situation with limited options is when buying and selling becomes more complicated.

For the price point and the practicality it offers it's hard to replace the M2C but if you go a notch up you can get into a Porsche (of course it will be still less practical) or the G80 which I heard is a great ride as long as you can live with the looks.
So there is no Porsche that is "like" an M2 if you lose the usability and the G80 is a boat in comparison...
      09-23-2021, 05:24 PM   #327
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So there is no Porsche that is "like" an M2 if you lose the usability and the G80 is a boat in comparison...
When you get a Porsche you won't care about the practicality. It's a different beast!

G80 is not a boat, it's far more capable than the M2C or CS, and I am an M2C owner.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 06:50 PM   #328
MeinZwei
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
When you get a Porsche you won't care about the practicality. It's a different beast!.
While I agree that a Porsche is a completely different fell, I don't think you can can into a Porsche for $60k that has 405 Hp and 406 ft-lb of torque?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 07:05 PM   #329
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hssnake View Post
Quote:
When you get a Porsche you won't care about the practicality. It's a different beast!.
While I agree that a Porsche is a completely different fell, I don't think you can can into a Porsche for $60k that has 405 Hp and 406 ft-lb of torque?
I dont get why people compare 2 seat impractical cars expensive cars to 4 seat 60k coupes... i just don't... throw a Lincoln Navigator in there while you're at it.
      09-23-2021, 07:06 PM   #330
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hssnake View Post
Quote:
No you can't but at the same time M2C is just another car and I don't know why people have this delusion that it can't be replaced or think of it as a LaFerrari.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 1
chris7197331.50