BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Ferodo F87 M2 Track Pad Options - DS2500 DS1.11 DSUNO

06-07-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Ferodo F87 M2 Track Pad Options - DS2500 DS1.11 DSUNO

Ferodo has three different pad compounds for the F87 M2.

Ferodo DS2500:

The DS2500 is currently the best hybrid track/street pad on the market. It features the moderately high bite and solid fade resistance of a track pad, with the relatively low dust and noise levels of a street pad. When used as a street pad, it can produce some squeal on certain vehicle platforms. During aggressive driving the DS2500 is known for its flat torque curve, which means as temperatures go up, the response through the brake pedal remains consistent. If you drive aggressively on the street, do some canyon runs, autoX, and maybe some light track duty on street tires, the DS2500 is tough to beat.

When used on fast, heavy cars on the track with race tires, pad wear rates tend to be higher than some of the full track pad compounds. Under those conditions, Essex would recommend the Ferodo DS1.11.

Ferodo DS1.11:

The DS1.11 is one of Ferodo Racing's latest endurance race pad offerings. It has slightly less bite at high temps. vs their older DS3000, but doesn't decompose nearly as quickly under extended heavy use on the track. The DS1.11 is known for its extremely flat torque curve, which means that as temperatures go up, the response through the brake pedal remains consistent. The DS1.11 can be thrashed all day without having it burn up or fade, it's easy on discs, and doesn't have many of the judder or vibration issues that competing products have. If you want an extremely solid, all around race pad that will perform well and last a long time, the DS1.11 is the perfect choice.

DSUNO

Ferodo Racing has made great strides in pad development over the past few years, and DSUNO is their latest offering. For our customers who enjoy the performance of the DS1.11, but just want a little more bite, we recommend the DSUNO. It doesn't wear quite as long as the DS1.11, but it does offer a higher overall mu once it reaches track temperatures.

More information here:

http://www.hpashop.com/Ferodo-F80-F8...rodo-DS111.htm
Attached Images

Last edited by HP Autosport; 03-14-2017 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
specka71.00
      06-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #2
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport
Feared has two pads for the F87 M2.

Ferodo DS2500:

The DS2500 is currently the best hybrid track/street pad on the market. It features the moderately high bite and solid fade resistance of a track pad, with the relatively low dust and noise levels of a street pad. When used as a street pad, it can produce some squeal on certain vehicle platforms. During aggressive driving the DS2500 is known for its flat torque curve, which means as temperatures go up, the response through the brake pedal remains consistent. If you drive aggressively on the street, do some canyon runs, autoX, and maybe some light track duty on street tires, the DS2500 is tough to beat.

When used on fast, heavy cars on the track with race tires, pad wear rates tend to be higher than some of the full track pad compounds. Under those conditions, Essex would recommend the Ferodo DS1.11.

Ferodo DS1.11:

The DS1.11 is one of Ferodo Racing's latest endurance race pad offerings. It has slightly less bite at high temps. vs their older DS3000, but doesn't decompose nearly as quickly under extended heavy use on the track. The DS1.11 is known for its extremely flat torque curve, which means that as temperatures go up, the response through the brake pedal remains consistent. The DS1.11 can be thrashed all day without having it burn up or fade, it's easy on discs, and doesn't have many of the judder or vibration issues that competing products have. If you want an extremely solid, all around race pad that will perform well and last a long time, the DS1.11 is the perfect choice.
Interested. How do you bed these on the track. Can you swap back to stock pads when done for the weekend or do you recommend separate rotors.
      06-10-2016, 11:55 PM   #3
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrat 2 View Post
Interested. How do you bed these on the track. Can you swap back to stock pads when done for the weekend or do you recommend separate rotors.
Remember DS2500 is more or less a aggressive street and very light track day pad. DS1.11 is what you want for full track.

Having an extra set of rotors will be the most ideal that way you don't have to perform the bed-in process each time you hit the track.

The best videos out there on bedding in your pads, including if you want to use the same rotors and swap between street and track pads:

https://www.essexparts.com/support/learning-center--faq

Harold
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 05:20 AM   #4
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport
Quote:
Remember DS2500 is more or less a aggressive street and very light track day pad. DS1.11 is what you want for full track.

Having an extra set of rotors will be the most ideal that way you don't have to perform the bed-in process each time you hit the track.

The best videos out there on bedding in your pads, including if you want to use the same rotors and swap between street and track pads:

https://www.essexparts.com/support/learning-center--faq

Harold
Thanks Harold. The videos are excellent. My question assumed I was using the DS1.11 for track pads and something else like factory pads for my daily use. Sorry I wasn't clear.
      06-12-2016, 06:27 PM   #5
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Harold. The videos are excellent. My question assumed I was using the DS1.11 for track pads and something else like factory pads for my daily use. Sorry I wasn't clear.
One of the videos was about swapping between street and track pads.

Let me know if you have further questions.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 07:24 PM   #6
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

Do 1.11 squeel if you drive normal?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 09:00 PM   #7
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
Do 1.11 squeel if you drive normal?
Yes, just like all race pads.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #8
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Adding DSUno to the list of available pads for the F87 M2.

DSUNO

Ferodo Racing has made great strides in pad development over the past few years, and DSUNO is their latest offering. For our customers who enjoy the performance of the DS1.11, but just want a little more bite, we recommend the DSUNO. It doesn't wear quite as long as the DS1.11, but it does offer a higher overall mu once it reaches track temperatures.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 02:23 PM   #9
MayorAdamWest
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2

DSUno are addictingly awesome on the track. They will, however, snap your neck off on the street... and I'm ok with that.

Past: 991 GT3, 991S, F10 550i, 987 Cayman
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 05:39 PM   #10
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest View Post
DSUno are addictingly awesome on the track. They will, however, snap your neck off on the street... and I'm ok with that.
If you like the DS1.11, but looking for more bite and don't mind the very quicker wear, DSUNO may be your ticket!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 06:55 AM   #11
jritt@essex
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
If you like the DS1.11, but looking for more bite and don't mind the very quicker wear, DSUNO may be your ticket!
Ferodo's official literature all states that the DS1.11 is longer wearing than the DSUNO. However, based on all of the collective feedback we've seen over the past few years since DSUNO was introduced, we've actually found that the wear rates for both the DS1.11 and DSUNO are quite similar (and excellent). The DSUNO just has a higher coefficient of friction/more bite. They are both fairly gentle on discs. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #12
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritt@essex View Post
Ferodo's official literature all states that the DS1.11 is longer wearing than the DSUNO. However, based on all of the collective feedback we've seen over the past few years since DSUNO was introduced, we've actually found that the wear rates for both the DS1.11 and DSUNO are quite similar (and excellent). The DSUNO just has a higher coefficient of friction/more bite. They are both fairly gentle on discs. Thanks!
That is good information to know.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 07:25 AM   #13
jritt@essex
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

I just posted the notes below in a different thread, but thought they'd be helpful here with regards to selecting the appropriate compound. I was specifically referring to our BBK customers, but the same applies to the OEM calipers (Ferodo offers all three compounds in the OEM M2 shape):

Just about all of our BBK customers use a combination of Ferodo DS2500 for sport/autoX use, and either DS1.11 or DSUNO for heavy duty use. The great thing about all three of these compounds is that they are made from the same core materials. As such, you can run them back-to-back without having to worry about them contaminating each other on the disc face. Many times when you run different brands of pads on the same discs and get them up to temp, the pad compounds intermingle and create high spots, smearing, and resulting judder and vibration. That doesn't happen with the Ferodo compounds. When you swap pads, you therefore don't have to worry about scraping the discs completely clean and doing a bed-in cycle. After your initial bedding of the discs, you can just put the pads in and do a few hard stops to get the pads seated/mated to the disc face.

The DS2500 is an outstanding pad with a fairly high temperature threshold, but it still has good 'manners.' On some applications they let out a little squeal or chirp on the last bit of roll-up to a complete stop, but they're typically more or less noise-free. They're also fairly kind to discs, and won't chew them up when run cold. Ferodo supplies many large sports car manufactures with a compound that is nearly identical to the DS2500 as the OEM spec pad. For example, the C7 Z06 (with iron brakes) comes from the factory with pads that are nearly identical to the DS2500. For many years the DS2500 has been widely considered one of the best 'tweener' or dual-purpose pads on the market. It's fairly high temperature threshold combined with it's good manners make it a bit unique. It does have its limits for track use however, which can be met on very fast and heavy cars like the M2. As such, we never recommend for track use on the front of the M2.

I'd say our customers are split something like 70% running same pad compound front/rear, and 30% running a slightly higher mu pad front/slightly lower mu rear. Our brake systems very closely mimic the OEM brake torque output on both axles. If you run just our front-only BBK, there are no ill-effects. We recommend starting with the same pad compound front and rear, then tweaking from there. The combinations of Ferodo compounds people run are as follows:

Front-DS1.11/Rear DS1.11: DS1.11 is a moderate mu compound that has nice wear characteristics on both the pad and discs, and a fairly flat torque curve. You have to press a little harder on the brake pedal to get the same response out of these that you would with the DSUNO.

Front-DSUNO/Rear DSUNO- DSUNO has a higher mu across the entire range than DS1.11. If you like pads with a lot of bite, this is a great starting point. You won't have to press as hard on the pedal to get the same response out of them. All other aspects of the pad are similar to DS1.11.

Front DSUNO/Rear DS1.11- If you like a slightly staggered mu. This setup shifts a little brake bias towards the front of the car, and the rears won't be doing quite as much work.

Front DS1.11/Rear DS2500- Some customers who use their car in many different environments and like to swap pads as little as possible choose to leave their DS2500 in the rear at all times, and just swap out the front for heavy duty use. As with other staggered setups, this will shift some bias towards the front.

Front DSUNO/Rear DS2500- Because the mu of the DSUNO is higher than the DS1.11, this setup increases the gap in mu on the two ends of the car even further. In other words, this setup is even more front-biased than the DS1.11/DS2500 setup. We typically wouldn't recommend this as a starting point, but some customers wind up with this setup and like it. Keep in mind that if you start shifting more and more of the workload to the front, not only will the feel be affected, the wear rates on the front pads and discs will increase.

Front DS2500/Rear DS2500- A great sport setup, which would also work awesome for heavy duty use in one of our kits on a smaller, lighter, less powerful car. For example, we have FT86 customers running the DS2500 in our front brake kit. Again, we do NOT recommend this as a full track pad on the front of the M2. The car is too heavy and fast.

Hopefully the above all makes sense. Thanks.
Appreciate 3
      03-14-2017, 05:14 AM   #14
OLO-M2
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Ferodo has three different pad compounds for the F87 M2.
Hello Harold,
Could you please confirm me that the DS1.11 also exist for the REAR axle ?
I have been in contact with 1 supplier in Belgium and another one in France and both told me that it does not exist for the rear axle of my BMW M2 and they recommended using the DS1.11 for the front and the DS2500 for the back.

Could you please send me by PM your best price for
- DS1.11 front + rear
- DS 1.11 front + DS2500 rear
- shipping to Belgium (Zaventem)

Thx,
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 10:43 AM   #15
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLO-M2 View Post
Hello Harold,
Could you please confirm me that the DS1.11 also exist for the REAR axle ?
I have been in contact with 1 supplier in Belgium and another one in France and both told me that it does not exist for the rear axle of my BMW M2 and they recommended using the DS1.11 for the front and the DS2500 for the back.

Could you please send me by PM your best price for
- DS1.11 front + rear
- shipping to Belgium (Zaventem)

Thx,
Yes, it does.

FCP4663H

PM incoming.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 06:29 PM   #16
BM Creeper
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 MY17 (March 2017)

Hi Harold,
Is the topic still running?
From Belgium as well.

Could you please PM your best price for
- DS1.11 front + rear
- shipping to Belgium (Liège)

Thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 01:26 AM   #17
StefanV
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI LBB DCT

Is it possible to get brake pad deposit on the discs after a track day event with DS2500?
I have the car in a remote garage but I'll take a photo this evening and post it here.

Last edited by StefanV; 07-30-2018 at 01:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 10:55 AM   #18
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanV View Post
Is it possible to get brake pad deposit on the discs after a track day event with DS2500?
I have the car in a remote garage but I'll take a photo this evening and post it here.
Yes. I left my DS2500s on during a trackday with snow and rain, and once a dry line formed and I was able to brake harder I started getting some brake judder. I had to put my DS11’s on to clean the discs.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 11:26 AM   #19
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you can. Did you overheat the pads?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 01:16 AM   #20
StefanV
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI LBB DCT

I guess so... It was quite hot outside, 30+ celsius, since the M2 is like 1500kg and had to stop it from 210km/h at each lap at the end of the straight.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RpZyNN24wMXbc8WF7
How bad does it looks like? Do you think it's a good idea to get a pair of RS29 to run them in the front. Or can someone advice me better...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 06:11 AM   #21
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
I guess so... It was quite hot outside, 30+ celsius, since the M2 is like 1500kg and had to stop it from 210km/h at each lap at the end of the straight.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RpZyNN24wMXbc8WF7
How bad does it looks like? Do you think it's a good idea to get a pair of RS29 to run them in the front. Or can someone advice me better...
I use the DS2500s for the street and the DS1.11s for the track. I would get some 11s for track work.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 11:31 AM   #22
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
I use the DS2500s for the street and the DS1.11s for the track. I would get some 11s for track work.
Stay within the Ferodo line of pads will eliminate the need to bed-in the pads again!
Appreciate 0