BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > MPE Vibration Woes on M2 LCI

10-21-2021, 02:40 PM   #1
J4YSEPHINE
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

MPE Vibration Woes on M2 LCI

So my M2 started developing an annoying vibration during low 1-2K rev and gear change, took to local stealership at 11 months warranty (car purchase Sept 2020) who after a week of being without my car stated they couldn't hear any vibrations. Had to take the technician out myself and lo and behold the vibrations occurred.

So the technicians kept the car longer and was convinced the issue was with the back box , so they decided under warranty to replaced the entire exhaust , issue was though that BMW supposedly did not make this MPE anymore and it would have to be the OEM sports exhaust that came with the standard M2. Two days later, my service rep called me back and said good news, we've managed to get a direct MPE replacement from Germany (£4K). So again a few days later, get the call and the car was finally ready to collect.

Then, annoyingly, about two to three weeks ago, I noticed a strange vibration coming from the rear again, so now I'm pissed considering this was a brand new exhaust replacement. Booked the M2 in again and their technicians discovered an issue with the right side flap, something internally that needed to be investigated. Two days later (today) and my service rep calls me back saying that head office has come up with a suggestion but that I'm not gonna like it… this sounded ominous, the proposal was that BMW would have to replace the entire exhaust again but because I'm just out of warranty now ( three weeks ) that BMW will only pay 80% of the cost and I'd have to cover the rest (£700+) as you can imagine, I was livid and straight out refused this, the service rep said they don't blame me and felt it was unacceptable and that they would speak to their manager to try and resolve this FOC…

Sadly this has really put me off ever buying another BMW, the brand new exhaust was faulty and I'm expected to pay partly for a replacement !!! Whilst was originally within warranty, I don't think so…
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 03:18 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Sorry to hear of your problem. At least in the US replacement parts come with a warranty so we couldn’t have this problem.

I would call who ever is the distributor for the UK and have them fix the problem. I agree that you shouldn’t pay anything for a new defective part.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      10-21-2021, 03:20 PM   #3
J4YSEPHINE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Sorry to hear of your problem. At least in the US replacement parts come with a warranty so we couldn't have this problem.

I would call who ever is the distributor for the UK and have them fix the problem. I agree that you shouldn't pay anything for a new defective part.
Our parts have warranties here too and the fact that it was installed before the warranty ended deffo means I am covered…. I'll be raging if they refuse to resolve this properly
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 05:53 PM   #4
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J4YSEPHINE View Post
Our parts have warranties here too and the fact that it was installed before the warranty ended deffo means I am covered…. I'll be raging if they refuse to resolve this properly
If I remember right, replacement parts have a one year warranty from th time of installation in the US even if the car is out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 02:21 PM   #5
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Have they checked the mid-pipe connection point? Mine loosens up and rattles all the time...it rattles/vibrates against a subframe mount in the middle of the car - very annoying

Have to re-tighten every 2k miles or so
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 02:11 PM   #6
J4YSEPHINE
Rep

So, Sytner BMW in Maidenhead contacted me to say car would ready to collect today, I requested assurance that this exhaust was checked and tested for vibrations, according to the service advisor.

Collected the M2 and took it out for a drive to fill up the tank, then as I entered the car park, lo and behold, I heard another vibration 🙄

This time on the left hand side , slightly different tone and vibration, took it down to a private road near me to check it again. Heard the noise at around 1-2K , parked it in the garage to check underneath the exhaust and see where the noise was coming from, then to my horror this happened…

Both of the left exhaust tips had not been secured on, literally could pull them off with my hands !!! Going to BMW to complain tomorrow, this could have been incredible dangerous, especially as I had been travelling on the motorway, imagine one or two of those flying off and smashing into a car behind , I'd be busted by the police !!!

Tips have now been secured, loosen and retightened all four tips, checked again for noise and fortunately it appears the vibrations have all vanished, was clearly the tips causing the issue time. Won't be using this stealership again…
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      10-27-2021, 02:02 AM   #7
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Sorry to hear of your problem. At least in the US replacement parts come with a warranty so we couldn’t have this problem.

I would call who ever is the distributor for the UK and have them fix the problem. I agree that you shouldn’t pay anything for a new defective part.
In the UK, BMW parts you BUY come with 2 years warranty.

But parts replaced under warranty don't of course, they are only covered by the remainder of the warranty period under which they were replaced, be that the new car warranty or bought parts 2 year warranty.

Last edited by doughboy; 10-27-2021 at 02:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 02:06 AM   #8
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Op, try taking it to a good indy for a second opinion. Your problem seems to be the crap dealers. I know your want it fixed, but sometimes the people trying to fix it are the problem.

As you're down south, try Birds BMW in Iver. They're very good and will tell you what it is straight away.

Must be worth 1/2 an hours labour. Speak to Kevin there if you can he's the man.

Last edited by doughboy; 10-27-2021 at 02:13 AM..
Appreciate 0