BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Building the M2 CS (and others!) a home..

10-28-2020, 09:16 AM   #23
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Quote:
Here's mine! Just finished it last year. Love it and lots of little things that make it a great working garage.
Absolutely love this, and love the combo of cars you have. I've got a 4 bay garage that the previous home owner built himself, but I would have loved to have one that is an open space like yours. My garage is 1100 sq ft, but it's very partitioned.

So you mentioned you stack the cars so you can have space for the other stuff, but did you at all consider a 2 post? My ceiling is only 9 ft tall, so unfortunately I might just have to settle for a quick jack.

Keep the pics coming guys, these are easily my favorite type of threads!
I did consider a two post, but went four for a few reasons

- I can move the lift around if needed and it's not attached to the floor. I did pour the floor thick so I can do two post later though if I want to.

- storing the car for really extended periods with the suspension extended isn't great, so this resolves that.

- you can't see it in the photos but the lift is equipped with sliding jacks so I can lift the car off the deck to do suspension work while it is up on the lift.

So far I haven't found any drawback to this arrangement given the space I have and the work I do.
Can you comment on the dangers of storing the car with suspension unloaded?
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 09:23 AM   #24
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Can you comment on the dangers of storing the car with suspension unloaded?
It's one of those things that you get mixed opinions on, and I've never seen good technical evidence that really proves it. The general belief is that when the suspension hangs you are compressing the boots on ball joints, CV's, etc and can damage the rubber when left compressed for long times. Additionally, shocks and other arms end up at full extension with more surface area exposed to collect dust/corrosion if there is moisture in the air. You are also straining many of the bushings on cars like BMW, and plastic/rubber will creep and stress crack when left in strain for long periods of time. So that's the theory behind it.

The "ideal" way to store a car is wheels off, with supports under the suspensions knuckles so the suspension carries the weight of the car but you don't ruin tires from sitting too long. I don't go that far. I store the cars on the daily drive/highway tires, and always keep the track tires on the racks.

If you have a two post lift, though, there are a few companies that make decks that attach to the arms so you can drive the car onto the decks and store it that way. I think getting the balance right probably matters doing that though!
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 09:30 AM   #25
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Thanks.

This may be more of a concern with stock suspension which has excessive travel. The travel on my coilover set up is <10 cm, so it should not be putting much stress on the bushings and ball joints. Having installed the suspension myself, I also know that there is very little pre-load on the springs, just enough to keep them from moving out of position when unloaded. I have never even considered the possibility that this could harm anything, and have stored my 1M this way for two winters now.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 12:24 PM   #26
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

I sometimes wonder how much of an old wives tale the concerns are. Enough of it makes sense for me to take it seriously. My E36 will sit sometimes for 6-8 months without being touched, so this seemed like the safer route to go basically. Since I was able to do the sliding jacks to handle suspension service I felt like I got the best of both worlds so it worked for me. I get asked a lot though why I don't have a two post I'm just happy to finally have a lift after 17 years of racing and tinkering on my back in less than ideal conditions!
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 08:16 AM   #27
BMrDrmr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F-250, M2 CS

Heres some of the most recent pictures.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Hedoniste3773.50
CSBM52695.50
      11-11-2020, 07:44 AM   #28
BMrDrmr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here are some pictures from the past couple days. The electrician did the rough electrical and the driveway was paved to match the 3" difference of the garage lip and tie everything together. Sorry for the dark pictures but it gets dark long before I can get out of work anymore.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-11-2020, 08:40 AM   #29
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

It doesn't cost that much to have done after the fact, but I would talk to your garage door guy about having "high lift" kits put on the doors to have them run close to the ceiling. Makes a huge difference in the feel of the garage, especially when they are open, and makes it easier to add a lift later too.

Also, if you know you are going to put up any cabinets, it is worth putting in blocking between studs on those walls before drywall to make it easier to hang.

Nice to see it coming along!!
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 1
BMrDrmr311.50
      11-11-2020, 01:28 PM   #30
BMrDrmr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It doesn't cost that much to have done after the fact, but I would talk to your garage door guy about having "high lift" kits put on the doors to have them run close to the ceiling. Makes a huge difference in the feel of the garage, especially when they are open, and makes it easier to add a lift later too.

Also, if you know you are going to put up any cabinets, it is worth putting in blocking between studs on those walls before drywall to make it easier to hang.

Nice to see it coming along!!
I'll inquire with my door guy when they install the openers. As far as cabinets go I hadn't really given it too much thought yet but thanks for the suggestion probably a better idea to address it now.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 02:53 PM   #31
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

These openers are great as well for keeping the center of the area open, and incredibly quiet. Fair bit more expensive though than a traditional opener though at about 600 each versus 250 each. Battery backup, deadbolt lock, and WiFi are great features and I've used every one of them!

https://www.liftmaster.com/liftmaste...opener/p/8500W
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 2
CSBM52695.50
BMrDrmr311.50
      11-11-2020, 02:58 PM   #32
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
These openers are great as well for keeping the center of the area open, and incredibly quiet. Fair bit more expensive though than a traditional opener though at about 600 each versus 250 each. Battery backup, deadbolt lock, and WiFi are great features and I've used every one of them!

https://www.liftmaster.com/liftmaster-8500w-wall-mount-opener/p/8500W
Yup! I have those units on the "shop" side of my garage and I wish I had put them on the "daily driver" side also. They are quiet, and definitely more secure.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 12:22 PM   #33
BMrDrmr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Uh oh, my garage is being held up by my electrician/fire dept/inspectors.. Still have to get insulation, drywall/plaster/paint done. I wasn't worried until my SA notified me this morning that delivery will probably be between Dec 5-7 🥳 Time to start getting pushy!!

Heres most recent picture of front. At least its weather tight.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Hedoniste3773.50
      11-25-2020, 01:06 PM   #34
bngcruiser
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '89 Land Cruiser, '18 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMrDrmr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bngcruiser View Post
I'm in development, cost of wood framing rising is making our pro formas bust. It's pretty wild.
Where are you in the process? I started in February getting drawings and plot plans done.. Then covid. My garage required a special permit which added about 60 days onto the process(not to mention at least 5k in additional costs).
Threw in the towel on my own expansion. We are finally experiencing the turnover needed in our neighborhood to justify putting another $400k into our place.

But our commercial properties have been tough, wood prices finally coming back down to earth though - we are planning to break ground on an affordable project and a market rate project in second quarter of next year.
      12-07-2020, 06:01 PM   #35
BMrDrmr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well I passed the rough electrical inspection, hopefully I can get the pass from the building inspector tomorrow.. then drywall, plaster and paint.

In the meantime I ordered the IND painted reflectors for the front and rear as well as scheduled for window tints, PPF and ceramic coatings. I figure maybe I can buy myself another week on the garage since they said they will need the car for 4 days to do everything.

Appreciate 1
Hedoniste3773.50
      12-07-2020, 08:40 PM   #36
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2CS+GTS Targa+RRS SVR

Quote:
Mine was sub 100k with everything you see including lift, cabinets, floors, demo, etc.

Mine is 41'*26' if I remember correctly.
So I think I’m going to build a house and want a a garage like yours. Did you also build a drain in the floors? I was thinking that would be nice so you can wash the cars inside.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 09:18 PM   #37
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee View Post
So I think I’m going to build a house and want a a garage like yours. Did you also build a drain in the floors? I was thinking that would be nice so you can wash the cars inside.
Yep, floor drain, insulation under the concrete, softened hot and cold water, plus a separate sink too. The insulation under the concrete is super cheap and makes a massive difference in how the floors feel. Some friends recommended I do radiant heated floors instead of the gas heater i have, but the speed of the gas heater is hard to beat since I keep the garage pretty cool unless I need to work out there during winter.

The air conditioner has been amazing as well. It has a dehumidifying mode which helps with drying the cars and keeping the garage more comfortable even when warm, and can knock the heat out of it when I need to work in the summers - we get the 90 plus degrees and 80+ % humidity here which is brutal to work in.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 1
BMrDrmr311.50
      12-08-2020, 05:38 AM   #38
BMrDrmr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee View Post
Honestly just wasn't in the budget plus would have added another level of complexity to an already crazy build (also decided against lifts).. My aim here was to replace the carport and build a space to store cars and put my tools etc. This is really just a starter type home/project. I bought it in January and haven't moved in yet just been totally redoing it all.

As far as a drain is concerned I was on the fence about this mostly for cars driving in covered in snow/salt. I decided to just pitch the floor from front to back. The floor is 43 ft long and pitched 4.5 inches from rear to front so basically all the water will drain out the front. I may add a french drain in the front if ice is ever a problem but Ill likely be salting the driveway anyways.

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 05:38 PM   #39
BMrDrmr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

As an update, I passed the Framing inspection Thursday (done after electrical). And insulation is done and scheduled for inspection on Monday. Plasterers are coming Tuesday if I pass inspection Monday. Then gotta get electrician back next week to do finish and get final inspection. With any luck Ill have it all done before my PPF/tint/ceramic coats are done. 😁

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 07:49 AM   #40
BMrDrmr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I passed insulation inspection yesterday. Plasterers started today and I'm hoping to get my car by tomorrow night to get it to the PPF/CC/tints place before the Nor'easter hits..Always an adventure!

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 09:37 AM   #41
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Lot of action on all fronts for you! Exciting times!
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 1
BMrDrmr311.50
      12-15-2020, 03:02 PM   #42
BMrDrmr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here's pictures from today.. so close to being done!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
2taCoS279.00
      12-15-2020, 03:54 PM   #43
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Looking good!
Appreciate 1
BMrDrmr311.50
      12-18-2020, 02:03 PM   #44
BMrDrmr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Plasterers finished up today just need final electrical and final building inspections. Here's some pictures. I also had my car transported from the dealership to the PPF'er. Ill post some pictures once I figure out how to edit out the dealers name from the plate.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
2taCoS279.00