BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > My new HS M2C - build thread updated

10-07-2018, 10:35 PM   #23
Bimm3rM4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
Oh, yeah, yeah. There was some dude in an M2 with an after market exhaust who drove through our neighborhood and really gunned it. THAT was loud enough to wake the dead. Loud enough to be like a Harley.

Loud enough to get pulled over by the cop sitting on the corner too.

I don't need my exhaust that loud. Prefer not to be the dude who a) all the neighbors hate cause car is waking their kids, and b) all the cops love cause car (and tickets) is paying for all their donuts.
Did I say aftermarket ? I'm talking about the MPE exhaust.
And since the MPE is OEM the ticket will be dismissed
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 11:11 PM   #24
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimm3rM4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
Oh, yeah, yeah. There was some dude in an M2 with an after market exhaust who drove through our neighborhood and really gunned it. THAT was loud enough to wake the dead. Loud enough to be like a Harley.

Loud enough to get pulled over by the cop sitting on the corner too.

I don't need my exhaust that loud. Prefer not to be the dude who a) all the neighbors hate cause car is waking their kids, and b) all the cops love cause car (and tickets) is paying for all their donuts.
Did I say aftermarket ? I'm talking about the MPE exhaust.
And since the MPE is OEM the ticket will be dismissed
Oh, sweet. Then I'm definitely getting the MPE. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 11:56 PM   #25
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimm3rM4 View Post
Those who are saying the M2 competition is so loud,
1. They never drove a sport car and or an M car with the MPE
2. They are lying to themselves
Oh yes, it's not as loud as my WRX. It's all those pops and crackles that are the loud part. Maybe it's not that it's loud, it's more that it's not quiet. From what I've read from some others, I was under the impression I would be driving a padded cell. Other than the first 60 seconds which even I will admit is awful, it sounds lovely. I like the "volume" options too.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 12:18 AM   #26
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
More impressions:
I find many BMW's are under sprung and over damped. Well what happens when you keep the damping the same and increase the spring rates? If you do it just right, the right is slightly more taught, but is actually more controlled, less bouncy and simply a better ride.
You are right. There is no jiggle. You always expect to have some jiggle in a car that corners so flat. It's sort of freaky.

I just went for a drive on a "dangerous curves" fairly bumpy type road. Mid corner bumps are just absorbed as if not there. Nice.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 01:23 AM   #27
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I just love the M Performance CF diffusor. It really sets off the back of the car. And it looks much better on the C than the OG since the black tips are inset farther than the M4 performance tips were. You can hardly see the muffler when you take the pic from the right angle...

Can you please share more pics of the rear CF diffuser?

I can't make up my mind if I should go for it or not.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 03:25 AM   #28
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
More impressions:
The Suspension: I initially thought the damping was perhaps less. Now I'm thinking it could be something different. How about increased spring rates? I recall how many found the Dinan sprung OG cars to be interestingly more comfortable. I find many BMW's are under sprung and over damped. Well what happens when you keep the damping the same and increase the spring rates? If you do it just right, the right is slightly more taught, but is actually more controlled, less bouncy and simply a better ride. That's what I'm feeling. I wouldn't be surprised if the spring rates were changed slightly, but I don't recall reading about that change. Anyway, my perception is an improved ride over the OG car.

Exhaust: It seems the EU cars are too quiet. Well, the US is car is not. In S+ the cracks on decel are LOUD. Yes, offend the neighbors loud. Yet, in efficiency mode the car is quiet as if it is a Tesla. Yep, ridiculously quiet. Jekyll and Hyde at the press of the M button though. I like it that way. Acceleration noise is not great, but not bad. Revving next to an M4 Comp, the cars sounded VERY similar - no surprise. But I would also say that the M4 Comp really improved the S55 exhaust note and it is really not bad. Also, before the car warms up, the exhaust in S+ really sounds like shit. Raspy and tinny. The burbles and cracks after warm up are deep and loud though - I would find it hard to believe anyone would be disappointed.

Seats: The seats are straight out of the M4. I thought they were LIKE the M4, but they are straight out of that car. They are nice, but not overwhelming. No more adjustable thigh support. I have the side wings fully in and they are not that snug. (5'11", 170lbs) Integrated headrests are a little too far back and not adjustable (of course). Otherwise, I would agree they are comfy, but I don't find them a big improvement over the OG seats. Why didn't they take the Comp package seats with the slots? At least they look cool. And the release levers to move the seats forward are stupid levers that move in the wrong direction. The OG seat release is perfectly designed by comparison.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 12:36 PM   #29
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Just got my car and I have some interesting initial impressions that I haven't read elsewhere.
  • The Steering - significantly improved over my '17. This is not in respect to turn in and response. The electronic steering feel seems significantly improved. In my 2017 the electronic steering was horrible, very poor return to center feel and downright notchy on the highway. I even wonder if there was actually something wrong with it. The new steering has a much more analog feel to it, very close to a hydraulic feel. Really a huge difference. I have heard very few remarks about it. Furthermore, I think the steering wheel is actually THINNER. Someone measure their OG car. I'd love to compare, but I think the circumference of the rim is smaller. Actually an improvement to me, because I think BMW went to far in respect to making their rims too fat.
  • The suspension - Some have speculated about a slightly smoother ride due to the increased weight. I doubt that's the case, but I agree that the ride is different. I would speculate that the shock valving has been changed ever so slightly. I would even venture to say that if the part number is unchanged, it doesn't mean they changed the dampers and sell them under the same part number. The increased weight argument doesn't make sense because you add more weight than the difference simply by adding a passenger.
  • Doors - They close differently. Seem to seat better than the prior car. Perhaps it was just my prior car.
  • Trunk - They changed the trunk release. Perhaps this was just an LCI change. The electronic release was changed and it works more smoothly.
  • Exhaust valving - In similar fashion to the OG car, does everyone else notice that the exhaust note is different from Sport Plus to Sport? I thought the valving was on or off, but the difference between these two is very significant. Initially finding that Sport Plus throttle response is too twitchy, but that's only an initial reaction. The exhaust note is so much better, I'm keeping it in Sport Plus. I don't notice any exhaust difference in MDM however, unlike in the OG car. Other comments on the exhaust sounds?

Cool, thanks for the review.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #30
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
Can you please share more pics of the rear CF diffuser?

I can't make up my mind if I should go for it or not.
Get it, totally worth it.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 03:37 PM   #31
Phantom_9192
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I opted for the CF spoiler but against the diffuser (I also have HS on order). Reason why is that I believe the stock diffuser is already black, so CF would only look better very close up and save a bit of weight. If the diffuser was body colored, I'd likely go CF as well but since it's not, the value doesn't seem to be there for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 05:06 PM   #32
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks is CF more difficult to maintain?
As in, what about scratches and chips from debris on road. That's one more thing I'm not sure about.

Also will the CF fade over time?

Just not sure if it worth the extra maintenance.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 05:20 PM   #33
_Ack_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C, '02 330Ci

Quote:
As in, what about scratches and chips from debris on road. That's one more thing I'm not sure about.

I've had CF in my 330Ci since 2002 and it looks as good as it did when it was new. CF is covered in a clear epoxy. If it develops light scratches, it can be wet sanded.

Epoxy can scratch, chip, and crack, but so can paint.

If you're on the fence, I would go for it. CF looks great both inside and outside the car.
      10-09-2018, 06:34 PM   #34
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Had the diffusor on my OG car for a year and a half, still looks great. Even managed not to crack it getting it off!

What else is new?
Seats:
Did everyone know the seat colors are from the colored edges of perforations? Pretty cool, BUT... there are perforations in the base of the seat. Dirt is going to get in those perforations. Hmm, not so sure I like them, but they are cool.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 06:45 PM   #35
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

A carbon splitter, probably limited lifespan, best to wrap it in xpel. The diffusor? No chips from rocks and it's not exposed to the sun.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 06:59 PM   #36
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Had the diffusor on my OG car for a year and a half, still looks great. Even managed not to crack it getting it off!

What else is new?
Seats:
Did everyone know the seat colors are from the colored edges of perforations? Pretty cool, BUT... there are perforations in the base of the seat. Dirt is going to get in those perforations. Hmm, not so sure I like them, but they are cool.
I'll have to check out the seat perforations as I've not paid close attention to them yet. So far I'm really pleased with the seats as is my wife. Very comfortable on long trips. The longest stint I've done so far is about 5 hours. The bolsters don't squeeze tight enough though, and I'm 6'2" and about 195...at least compared to my E90 M3 which squeeze much tighter. The seating position in the M2C is fantastic with greater wheel adjustability than the M3 and closer shift knob location (6MT) however.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 08:28 PM   #37
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
I'll have to check out the seat perforations as I've not paid close attention to them yet. So far I'm really pleased with the seats as is my wife. Very comfortable on long trips. The longest stint I've done so far is about 5 hours. The bolsters don't squeeze tight enough though, and I'm 6'2" and about 195...at least compared to my E90 M3 which squeeze much tighter. The seating position in the M2C is fantastic with greater wheel adjustability than the M3 and closer shift knob location (6MT) however.
Agreed, guess we could say the seats are more like sofas. Wouldn't know how they are on the track and I would say they are a far cry from a Porsche bucket. (Not that I want to drive around in carbon buckets personally).
The biggest upside I find with the DCT is that the stupid armrest isn't in the way. The armrest moves up and locks, I needed to drive my manual that way because the armrest was right in the way of my elbow when shifting. No more shift lever with paddles! I have my seat all the way down, of course.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52715.00
      10-11-2018, 02:28 AM   #38
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Thanks for feedback, good review from ex M2 owner.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 03:33 PM   #39
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep

Audio impressions

Time for some serious upgrades to the sound system. Had the same system in my 2017 and I can tell you all of the drivers are the same. HOWEVER, along with the touch screen for the media system, they added more power to the amplifier! Anyone that has researched the prior HK audio system knows that you can almost turn up the volume all the way to produce a desirable listening level. In the C, even with higher ohm speakers, full volume will produce very serious listening levels. Nicely improved. However, I didn't hear much real improvement in sound through the OEM drivers. Big gains to be had by simply dropping in compatible drivers into the stock locations and use them with the stock system and good quality music.

Appreciate 4
devo755.00
02M3ForMe4257.00
      10-13-2018, 04:03 PM   #40
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Good move. I'm actually happier with the HK sound than I have been with any of my previous stock BMW audio systems (including the 340's "real" HK with too many drivers and the bizarre signal boost at 200Hz). But it's still pretty terrible. My plan was to wait until Spring and have MusicarNW shoe-horn all my stuff back in, but I'm not sure I can wait.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 12:48 PM   #41
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep

CF mirror caps

Wow, don't these just look badass? BMW has done a great job of sourcing very nice carbon fiber. Please note, "Made in China". Chinese production is a very basic factor of QC.

I recommend using a blunt ended trim tool to remove the caps. Steady, strong pressure slowly removes the clips. I'm getting used to removing trim. Beating on it breaks clips for sure. Much easier than doing the rear diffusor.

Mirror cap removal tool
Appreciate 3
CSBM52715.00
devo755.00
02M3ForMe4257.00
      10-15-2018, 12:54 PM   #42
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep

What happened to the other pedal? Ah, I really think the manual is overrated. I'm really liking the DCT coming from a manual car. Yes, believe it or not the brake pedal is exactly the same as on the manual car.

Oh, you'll need a titanium drill bit to drill through the brake pedal, it is really tough. The accelerator is plastic, of course.

My dealer threw in the all weather floor mats. They have a really cool M stripe on them that really nicely coordinates with the pedals. The cheap stock mats don't even have BMW or an M on them.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2aG7AqF]
Appreciate 3
devo755.00
dmboone254972.00
02M3ForMe4257.00
      10-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #43
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Lookin good!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 01:35 PM   #44
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep

MDM - M Dynamic Mode

Yes indeed, traction control was completely revisited on the car. I drove my '17 almost always in "Traction" mode. Nevertheless, I had the traction control light come on all the time and very quickly. Probably a good thing, I found the car pretty squirrely with the traction control completely off!

However, MDM is completely different. The car can really get pretty sideways without any intervention. Basically did a burnout in the wet and I don't recall even seeing the light come on. Curious how others find the setting. Another interesting difference is you can run sport plus without turning MDM. I'm still waiting for the response to smooth out - at the moment 3k RPM comes on HARD, the throttle is like on and off. This response isn't too surprising though given the dyno sheets showing the torque curve, there is a real peak at 3k RPM. On hard throttle in 2nd gear, it really lights up the tires when you hit 4k RPM!
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4257.00