11-22-2016, 10:21 PM   #67
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

It looks good in all variations

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos808 View Post
Good to hear the view of a owner of all M's, the 1M was out of my reach in 2011, I settled for a used 135i Coupe and thought "yeah" this suits me then the M2 arrived and that was it, Hooked..... Driven the M4 at Brands Hatch which was a blast but as I jumped into the M2 that was where I wanted to be.

I'd like to see more on the road, only seen one AW M2 at a show never seen any others on the road, soon hopefully.
It looks stunning in the dark Grey.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 10:32 PM   #68
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Garage List
Phewww! I was afraid he might crap all over the M2. It is a fabulous car but Clarkson can be a little unpredictable. All's well that ends well!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 11:40 PM   #69
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
This 'The Grand Tour' kick-off episode gets tremendous attention. The M2 being presented and getting accolades, may draw extra attention to the car.

That's what also happened in 2011 after the Top Gear episode where Jeremy Clarkson drove the 1M and (equally) gave it a rave review:
Agree, but the only things that will happen are:

Short-term:
- Increased awareness (e.g. more "car guys" standing, staring, pointing)
- Even deeper waiting lists
- "Market adjustment" gouging for a longer period, maybe indefinitely

Long-term:
- Possible bump in resale value
- Possible "classic" status
- Possible upward sticker price adjustment

Unless, of course, BMW increases production.
Right now, they're protecting M3/4 sales simply by not making very many M2's.
Because the M3/4 are higher-margin products.
And BMW doesn't want to undercut M3/4 profits.
Simple as that.
U think an m3 is a higher margin product than an m2? I would argue that heavily... throw an already made lsd, tranny and swap suspension components into an m235i and u have an m2... the m3 gets a completely different engine, and much upgraded interior from a regular 3.
You have absolutely no clue in costing a product from a manufacturer perspective.
      11-24-2016, 08:44 AM   #70
Murph335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 N54 e90, '10 N54 e93, TBSS

Garage List
2015 Tesla P85D  [0.00]
The comments on the M2 from their "american" race driver. LOL hilarious!

I actually believe thats what the general public thinks.
      11-25-2016, 03:37 AM   #71
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
This 'The Grand Tour' kick-off episode gets tremendous attention. The M2 being presented and getting accolades, may draw extra attention to the car.

That's what also happened in 2011 after the Top Gear episode where Jeremy Clarkson drove the 1M and (equally) gave it a rave review:
Agree, but the only things that will happen are:

Short-term:
- Increased awareness (e.g. more "car guys" standing, staring, pointing)
- Even deeper waiting lists
- "Market adjustment" gouging for a longer period, maybe indefinitely

Long-term:
- Possible bump in resale value
- Possible "classic" status
- Possible upward sticker price adjustment

Unless, of course, BMW increases production.
Right now, they're protecting M3/4 sales simply by not making very many M2's.
Because the M3/4 are higher-margin products.
And BMW doesn't want to undercut M3/4 profits.
Simple as that.
U think an m3 is a higher margin product than an m2? I would argue that heavily... throw an already made lsd, tranny and swap suspension components into an m235i and u have an m2... the m3 gets a completely different engine, and much upgraded interior from a regular 3.
You have absolutely no clue in costing a product from a manufacturer perspective.
The reality is that most of us M3/M4 drivers aren't cross shopping M2's, so I don't know that it would really cause a shake-up where M3/M4 sales are concerned. People looking at an M3/M4 are looking for different things in a vehicle than what the M2 can provide. The M2 is a cool little car though. I still would take a 1M over it all day however.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2016, 03:41 AM   #72
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Great praise from JC calling it the best M car BMW has ever made.
He freakin' says that about every new ///M car!!!
Basically! We've heard that statement regurgitated about four times now.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 04:23 AM   #73
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
The reality is that most of us M3/M4 drivers aren't cross shopping M2's, so I don't know that it would really cause a shake-up where M3/M4 sales are concerned. People looking at an M3/M4 are looking for different things in a vehicle than what the M2 can provide. The M2 is a cool little car though. I still would take a 1M over it all day however.
How is that? I was cross shopping M3/4 but chose the M2....

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 2
dt3450.00
Fraser71.00
      11-25-2016, 07:20 AM   #74
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Quote:

Cheers
Robin
Generally speaking.......more room, more power, a more upscale experience, more options, more bespoke, 4 doors [for practicality], etc. Notice that I didn't say ALL buyers, but it isn't hard to understand why most M3/M4 buyers opted for the larger sibling. It's not a rocket science proposition.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 03:12 PM   #75
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Quote:

Cheers
Robin
Generally speaking.......more room, more power, a more upscale experience, more options, more bespoke, 4 doors [for practicality], etc. Notice that I didn't say ALL buyers, but it isn't hard to understand why most M3/M4 buyers opted for the larger sibling. It's not a rocket science proposition.

I agree.

Buyers going to a dealer and looking for an M3 will buy an M3. Buyers looking for an M4 will get an M4. A very few may be tempted by the M2 lower price point but when they find out they likely will pay just as much (or less !) for the M4 versus the M2 they will get an M4 anyway.

It's a rare buyer that will come in looking for an M4 and walk out with the M2. @robin NL you already had owned a 1M so I wouldn't call you a traditional M3/M4 buyer in any sense.

There are many buyers that went to the dealer looking for an M2 and instead walked out buying an M3 or an M4.

The M2 is positioned at a price point where buyers that don't want to wait have the opportunity to move up to an M4 ( more power and gadgets ) , move up to an M3 ( four doors ) , or step down to an M240/M235 ( better initial purchase value , and available immediately ).
Appreciate 0