specka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
XPEL / PPF installers - Melbourne

Hi all,
I'll probably take delivery of my BSM LCI this week and I want to have PPF applied.

Hoping to get some recommendations of experienced installers in Melbourne ideally that have done an M2 before.

I've found the 3 official XPEL businesses and will be contacting them to assess their experience levels in the coming days but would love to hear of anyone with first hand experience.

Thanks
Simon
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 12:51 AM   #2
PASHN8
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 BMW M2

Speak to Damian @ Grafico, won't be cheapest, but if you have a look at the cars they work on, on a regular basis, you won't be disappointed.

Have had a few cars in there, and they always treat every car like it's their own.
      12-04-2017, 03:07 AM   #3
specka
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Much appreciated - I noticed they are one of the official installers listed on XPEL site. I have sent an inquiry. My challenge now is getting it done before xmas, as soon as the car arrives I want it straight in for the wrap.

Thanks for the tip.
      12-11-2017, 03:59 AM   #4
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Bit late to the replies on this topic Specka, so this may not be of much use, but I've got a reference for a Suntek PPF installer here in Melbourne.

The guy is very very good - from the sound of what he does, my M2 is one of the cheaper cars that he's worked on. Apparently, he's shortly going to work on a Bugatti Veyron!

Anyway, when I got in touch with him I asked for the XPEL product, but he thought that the Suntek gave a better finish (less orange peel was his advice, which I went with). He also creates his own patterns, and does not use the pre-cut kits that a lot of installers use. This gives better coverage and hides the cut lines - the front bumper bar of the M2 is a very complex wrap job if done properly. I'm totally delighted with the job he did.

If it isn't too late, and you'd like his number, drop me an IM and I'll connect you.

For what its worth, I PPF'd the following on my LBB:
  1. Front Bumper
  2. Rocker Bars (panel below the doors)
  3. Headlights
  4. Door Handle Cups
  5. Rear Bumper (behind the rear wheels)
  6. Rear Bumper (boot opening surface)
... and maybe I'll do the bonnet in the new year

Cheers!
Appreciate 1
specka71.00
      12-11-2017, 04:58 AM   #5
specka
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf View Post
Bit late to the replies on this topic Specka, so this may not be of much use, but I've got a reference for a Suntek PPF installer here in Melbourne.

The guy is very very good - from the sound of what he does, my M2 is one of the cheaper cars that he's worked on. Apparently, he's shortly going to work on a Bugatti Veyron!

Anyway, when I got in touch with him I asked for the XPEL product, but he thought that the Suntek gave a better finish (less orange peel was his advice, which I went with). He also creates his own patterns, and does not use the pre-cut kits that a lot of installers use. This gives better coverage and hides the cut lines - the front bumper bar of the M2 is a very complex wrap job if done properly. I'm totally delighted with the job he did.

If it isn't too late, and you'd like his number, drop me an IM and I'll connect you.

For what its worth, I PPF'd the following on my LBB:
  1. Front Bumper
  2. Rocker Bars (panel below the doors)
  3. Headlights
  4. Door Handle Cups
  5. Rear Bumper (behind the rear wheels)
  6. Rear Bumper (boot opening surface)
... and maybe I'll do the bonnet in the new year

Cheers!
Thank you for the info. It has come just a fraction too late as I have actually got the deposit paid for the front end to be done on Friday. Unfortunately due to workload at all the places I contacted that's all I could find to get done anywhere in Melbourne pre xmas.
It is XPEL, so fingers-crossed it comes up well. By all reports in the forums it is an excellent finish. My only disappointment is i'll be driving the car extensively on the open roads over the xmas period without the full wrap completed

Ill go in for the rest of the car in the New Year as soon as I can get a booking.

Cheers and thanks again.
      12-19-2017, 06:56 PM   #6
specka
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Ive hit a problem with the XPEL install, the adhesive is not taking to my brand new vehicle. I have confirmed 100% that there is no Ceramic coating or anything applied by dealership, the guys at the XPEL workshop have done their usual checks but for some reason the film is not adhering to my car.

I have no doubt about these guys abilities I've seen their work and the long line of amazing cars they have done and keep doing, but something with my new M2 is causing major issues. Seems it might be a no go
      12-19-2017, 10:24 PM   #7
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by specka View Post
Ive hit a problem with the XPEL install, the adhesive is not taking to my brand new vehicle. I have confirmed 100% that there is no Ceramic coating or anything applied by dealership, the guys at the XPEL workshop have done their usual checks but for some reason the film is not adhering to my car.
Bummer

Is it just problems attaching film to certain parts of the car (e.g. bumper = problem, bonnet =ok)...? It certainly seems odd - the Suntek my installer used didn't have any significant problems: he corrected some very minor defects with adhesion that popped up in the first couple of weeks. Its hard to believe one film has significantly superior (or inferior) adhesive performance. Are you going for a stealth (or some other non-conventional) finish...?

Quote:
...but something with my new M2 is causing major issues.
It's probably the colour ... I'm pretty sure that the film only works with LBB!!

Quote:
Seems it might be a no go
IM me if you want the contact details of the Suntek guy that I used. His work is fantastic, and his after-sales support has been top notch. I've not been able to fault it. Note: he may be more expensive than your XPEL guys as he doesn't use pre-fab stencils (he custom creates the pattern/stencils as he goes).

Cheers!

p.s. sorry about the crappy Dad Joke
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 04:34 AM   #8
specka
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Hi Smurf,
Thanks again for taking time out to offer some thoughts on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf View Post
Is it just problems attaching film to certain parts of the car (e.g. bumper = problem, bonnet =ok)...?
Actually yes, but the opposite. Large expanses such as bonnet and panels wont fully adhere, the bumper seems good. I suspect areas where the dealership may have used a certain polish or wax liberally could be the problem. They wouldn't have invested as much time or effort into tricky areas.

Quote:
It's probably the colour ... I'm pretty sure that the film only works with LBB!!
Haha you're probably right, I mean let's face it, LBB needs to be concealed by any means possible BSM is so good out of the box that it repels the film

Thanks for the offer re Suntek installer. After Christmas I will see how this film has held up and have a better idea of what to do next.The guys at current place have been good and straight up about it all, and making themselves available over the break if I run into issues with what has been done so far.

Have a good evening!
      02-13-2018, 05:27 AM   #9
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

How much is reasonable for just the bonnet? Ive messaged a few places, but noone seems to be interested in doing it
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 08:00 AM   #10
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who? View Post
How much is reasonable for just the bonnet? Ive messaged a few places, but noone seems to be interested in doing it
You’re doing but not bumper? Why?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #11
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Swirls annoy me, and bonnet is (to me) the only place i can usually see it
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 03:56 AM   #12
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Swirls annoy me, and bonnet is (to me) the only place i can usually see it
Hey guys, what prices have people been given for a front half job? Bumper, bonnet, front guards and inside door handles?

I have been quoted $4000 by 2 different company's.

I could not believe it was this expensive to have that done?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 04:24 AM   #13
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1 View Post
Hey guys, what prices have people been given for a front half job? Bumper, bonnet, front guards and inside door handles?

I have been quoted $4000 by 2 different company's.

I could not believe it was this expensive to have that done?
That does sound too much, in Sydney I had 3 quotes $3800-4k for the whole car (Suntek film which might be a little cheaper than Xpel), ended up leaving out the roof/boot lid for $3k. I went with Suntek due to reports of Xpel's slight orange peel affect being visible on BSM, the Suntek on my car is all but invisible.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 01:09 AM   #14
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep

got quoted 6500 for whole car xpel, and 7000 for matte..
a little excessive to spend on a 100k car I think unless youre going to keep it for 10 years
      02-19-2018, 03:47 AM   #15
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
got quoted 6500 for whole car xpel, and 7000 for matte..
a little excessive to spend on a 100k car I think unless youre going to keep it for 10 years
I agree mate! Stupidly expensive!

I had another quote today for the front quarter of the car.

-Headlights.
-Front bar.
-Half bonnet.
-top half of fenders.
-Underneath door handles.

All for $1350 in 3M material. I thought that was pretty reasonable!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 05:54 PM   #16
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I agree mate! Stupidly expensive!

I had another quote today for the front quarter of the car.

-Headlights.
-Front bar.
-Half bonnet.
-top half of fenders.
-Underneath door handles.

All for $1350 in 3M material. I thought that was pretty reasonable!
you should ask if its the pro version, im pretty sure the regular doesnt self heal?
      02-20-2018, 02:03 AM   #17
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
you should ask if its the pro version, im pretty sure the regular doesnt self heal?
So there is regular and Pro 3M vinyl is there?

I mean if it doesn't seal then surely they would have to do the job again? The job is guaranteed.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 04:00 AM   #18
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
So there is regular and Pro 3M vinyl is there?

I mean if it doesn't seal then surely they would have to do the job again? The job is guaranteed.
afaik there it, im not that credible of a source though haha

by heal i mean light scratches will heal, not adhere