BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > On the verge of ordering M2CS

03-26-2020, 11:21 AM   #1
Sharasuke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2C

On the verge of ordering M2CS

Hi guys,

Like the title I'm on the verge of saying yes to my dealer for a M2CS (blue one).
I'll be getting a huge discount (10%) on the CS.

But still have some questions/doubts:
I test drove a M2C for a whole weekend and found it a little bit on the stiff side on some roads, sometimes I just want to relax in the car. (Like I can do with my M135i with adaptive suspension).
Will the adaptive M suspension make a difference to the M2C? Like will it be softer in efficient but just as stiff on sport settings as the M2C? Also does it make any difference with handling in corners?

I can imagine myself getting tired of the carbon front splitter (looks and fear of breaking it on some bumps here), will that be removable?

Is it really worth it to get the CS? I find exclusivity, the adaptive M suspension, the hood, the roof and full options to be worth it, especially with the discount. (I would have specced a M2C as full option as well)

What I'm actually asking is can someone change my mind (with valid points) about buying the M2CS?

I have the funds btw, but having something extra like with buying the M2C is always nice.
I also plan to have the car the rest of my life and will not DD it, just for driving on weekends and evenings after work and some track time (not that much now, but in the future who knows..)

Thx

P.S.: I can still order one in my country, went to the dealer on monday for a quotation

EDIT: wrong forum ofcourse... but can't seem to delete it
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 01:04 PM   #2
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharasuke View Post
Hi guys,

Like the title I'm on the verge of saying yes to my dealer for a M2CS (blue one).
I'll be getting a huge discount (10%) on the CS.

But still have some questions/doubts:
I test drove a M2C for a whole weekend and found it a little bit on the stiff side on some roads, sometimes I just want to relax in the car. (Like I can do with my M135i with adaptive suspension).
Will the adaptive M suspension make a difference to the M2C? Like will it be softer in efficient but just as stiff on sport settings as the M2C? Also does it make any difference with handling in corners?

I can imagine myself getting tired of the carbon front splitter (looks and fear of breaking it on some bumps here), will that be removable?

Is it really worth it to get the CS? I find exclusivity, the adaptive M suspension, the hood, the roof and full options to be worth it, especially with the discount. (I would have specced a M2C as full option as well)

What I'm actually asking is can someone change my mind (with valid points) about buying the M2CS?

I have the funds btw, but having something extra like with buying the M2C is always nice.
I also plan to have the car the rest of my life and will not DD it, just for driving on weekends and evenings after work and some track time (not that much now, but in the future who knows..)

Thx

P.S.: I can still order one in my country, went to the dealer on monday for a quotation

EDIT: wrong forum ofcourse... but can't seem to delete it
The adaptive suspension should make a difference, but other than BMW employees and possibly some journalists I don't think many, if any, have actually driven a M2 CS so it's a bit too early to say for sure. Based on the comments from F8X M3/4 owners the opinions are mixed.

Assuming the carbon fiber front splitter is installed in a similar fashion to the M Performance variant it will likely use a combination of fasteners and adhesive, so it should be relatively easy to remove, but not something you're going to enjoy installing and removing on a regular basis.

It seems that most people on this forum would argue that the M2C is a better value. However, I do think that the M2CS has the potential to hold its' value better in the long term (I could be wrong).

I think the most compelling reasons for someone to get the CS are the factory installed carbon fiber roof, merino leather, extra HP and adaptive suspension.

Whether or not these things are worth it to you is only something you can decide.

Based on what you said (you have the funds, you found the M2C a bit too stiff, you like the exclusivity and you plan to keep the car for a long time) I say go for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 03:22 PM   #3
Sharasuke
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thx for the detailed reply, lots of useful information!
Leaning even more towards buying M2CS.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 03:43 PM   #4
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Thx for the detailed reply, lots of useful information!
Leaning even more towards buying M2CS.
No problem

It's easy to spend other people's money
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 04:14 PM   #5
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

Cayman GTS 4.0 is a way better car for the same money.
Appreciate 1
VIERsr2620.50
      03-26-2020, 07:51 PM   #6
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I'll add my 2cents. I think it's been answered fairly well above. I'm going to assume you have your reasons for choosing a 4 seater vs a 2 seater. Lot of folks say Cayman variants or bust, but haven't lived with one. Some who have or have had both have posted their experience.

The CS is a C with a lot of unnecessary fluff, and a few components that some find high value. Most of the carbon add-ons are likely adding very little performance gain, but some may add to the creature comforts (Merino leather and adaptive suspension). Some say/hope the CS will be an experience achieved by the sum of it's parts and not just one thing or the other.

The C can be made quicker for much less money. Simple tune and a suspension upgrade will likely surpass the CS on a track. You can likely come closer to building a CS but for less money.

Exclusivity is the wild car with the CS. For some it's worth a premium I say it's about $5k more than building a CS from a C. But why do that when again s tune plus suspension would make all the carbon fluff unnecessary.

Will the CS be special. I would sure hope so with the premium over the C. The C is a killer value. CS not so much, but you can play with a toy that most others can not play with. Only you can decide which flavor will float your boat.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 12:09 PM   #7
Sharasuke
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I'll add my 2cents. I think it's been answered fairly well above. I'm going to assume you have your reasons for choosing a 4 seater vs a 2 seater. Lot of folks say Cayman variants or bust, but haven't lived with one. Some who have or have had both have posted their experience.

The CS is a C with a lot of unnecessary fluff, and a few components that some find high value. Most of the carbon add-ons are likely adding very little performance gain, but some may add to the creature comforts (Merino leather and adaptive suspension). Some say/hope the CS will be an experience achieved by the sum of it's parts and not just one thing or the other.

The C can be made quicker for much less money. Simple tune and a suspension upgrade will likely surpass the CS on a track. You can likely come closer to building a CS but for less money.

Exclusivity is the wild car with the CS. For some it's worth a premium I say it's about $5k more than building a CS from a C. But why do that when again s tune plus suspension would make all the carbon fluff unnecessary.

Will the CS be special. I would sure hope so with the premium over the C. The C is a killer value. CS not so much, but you can play with a toy that most others can not play with. Only you can decide which flavor will float your boat.
Thx for the answer.
I did the maths again, specced a M2C full option to compare and it's a 21K euro surplus for the M2CS, thinking about that made me realize that it's way more expensive then what it's actually worth.
I don't actually need the carbon so in my mind I was paying 21K for a very nice hood and adaptive suspension.

That 21K can go to a classic porsche 911. So I have 2 awesome cars for the price of 1.

So a M2C it is!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 02:47 PM   #8
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
Cayman GTS 4.0 is a way better car for the same money.
Is it the same money? Around these parts (USA) I think (I don't know what it's going to sell for) the Porsche will be a lot more expensive, comparably equipped.

I do agree though, that it's a better car.

Quote:
So a M2C it is!
You've decided?!?!

I was going to suggest that the adjustable suspension, based on my limited experience with it in other BMW cars, would only marginally improve the ride quality.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 05:58 PM   #9
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Is it the same money? Around these parts (USA) I think (I don't know what it's going to sell for) the Porsche will be a lot more expensive, comparably equipped.

I do agree though, that it's a better car.

Yep. Absolutely the same price.

I configured both cars.
Cayman GTS 4.0 very well specced had the price of 102K euro.
And then I configured M2 SC same way as my current M2C is (fully loaded) and it showed the price of 101K euro.

Being a client of BMW VIP Sales department I have a discount of 25% on any BMW, which I order. So the price for me of this M2CS would be 76K euro (101K euro -25% discount).

Having a possibility to order an M2CS at such a discounted price, I didn’t find any strong argument for myself to upgrade from my current M2c.
Instead I am thinking of upgrading from my M2C and spending 75K euro for a preowned Cayman GTS 2.5 with low mileage as I believe it is a better buy than a new M2CS for the same price.

So I believe it says a lot when I prefer a preowned Cayman GTS 2.5 for the same price, which a new M2CS will cost to me. Logical conclusion is that I would NEVER spend the same money for a new M2CS, which a new Cayman GTS 4.0 is sold for.

Last edited by kart driver; 03-27-2020 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 08:06 PM   #10
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
Having a possibility to order an M2CS at such a discounted price, I didn’t find any strong argument for myself to upgrade from my current M2c.
Instead I am thinking of upgrading from my M2C and spending 75K euro for a preowned Cayman GTS 2.5 with low mileage as I believe it is a better buy than a new M2CS for the same price.

So I believe it says a lot when I prefer a preowned Cayman GTS 2.5 for the same price, which a new M2CS will cost to me. Logical conclusion is that I would NEVER spend the same money for a new M2CS, which a new Cayman GTS 4.0 is sold for.
And that sums up the beauty of choice. All it says is that you prefer the Cayman. I'll be putting my money on a CS, which says I prefer the CS. Follow your passion because that's the right choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 12:13 AM   #11
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
And that sums up the beauty of choice. All it says is that you prefer the Cayman. I'll be putting my money on a CS, which says I prefer the CS. Follow your passion because that's the right choice.
Same. I do not like the Cayman at all. It's a different type of car for a different type of person.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 04:41 AM   #12
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Here the difference in price between CS and C is 34000 euros. But for the CS you barely get a 10% discount, for the C the double. This makes the difference in price at around 40000 euros. You can do a lot of things with 40000 euros. A LOT. More than a tune and some carbon parts.
But your money, your choice!
Appreciate 0