BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Another New M2 owner review and thoughts

03-23-2020, 03:46 PM   #1
bee500
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI BSM

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Hi everyone just purchased a used 2018 M2. This is my first M car and my third BMW. Figured I'd give my thoughts and impressions because Bimmerpost has helped me so much in making my car decisions and now I feel like I should keep it going and possibly help someone else.

My previous BMW's
2010 335i coupe
2012 335i coupe with M pkg and Cobb tune

I've always wanted an M2 since it first came out and knew that would be my next car. When the LCI came out that was it for me. The upgrades make it the one to get for DD. I have no intention of ever tracking or racing my car therefore to me the M2C would just be a waste for me. And to be honest I like the look of the LCI grille and rims so much better than the comp. Also the exhaust sound was a huge deal for me. There's no comparison IMO the way the N55 sounds compared to the S55. So the LCI vs comp decision was never an issue for me.

So that being said I was finally ready to make the move to an M2. I searched for a few months and found a BSM with 14k miles and a few goodies already installed for a really good price.
Car had one owner and I did my DD and found out all the history before making the purchase.

Options:
BSM
DCT
Executive pkg
Apple car play
Carbon fiber rear spoiler
M steel pedals
Black kidney grills
Black side gills
M carbon fiber mirror caps
Carbon fiber door handles

Waiting on delivery for:
Red start button
BSM front side delete reflectors
Black M2 rear emblem

First impressions:

Wow! I've always said to myself pictures do not do this car justice. It looks soooo much better in person. The 3 dementionality (not sure that's a real word) of the body work is something you just have to see in person. The car is a stunner. Those hips are just the sexiest thing to stare at.

Interior: I've read a lot of people complain about it being too cheap. I get it, but the interior is perfectly fine to me. Love the raw carbon fiber with Alcantara. It's just enough. If you're buying an M2 then you know you're not getting a 5 series interior to begin with. The LCI gauges are great and the Nav screen is perfect. The seats are IMO some of the best I've ever sat in. Coming from my sport seats in the 335i which were amazing, these M2 sports seats are even better. They are comfortable for short or long distance trips and the side bolstering is fantastic. I'm 6'2 and have plenty of leg room with enough to spare. Coming from an e92 yes the M2 is a tiny bit smaller but not by much. Still plenty of room to sit and relax while I write this post lol!

Technology:
I have no complaints. Car play is awesome, iDrive is the best. So easy to use. And wow it's so much faster than the iDrive in my 335i. Night and day difference. I used Bimmercode to enable a few things like DVD in motion, turning off ASD, auto folding mirrors after locking the car, but overall no complaints here. Everything I need as far as connectivity and info are there. I don't really need a heads up display or soft close doors. The I only thing I do miss is jeevs the seat belt assistant that my 335i had.

Oh yeah almost forgot....the HK stereo : I'm just glad it has one. Might have to think about upgrading it one day. Just listen to the exhaust there's no need to listen to music anyway lol!

Engine/driving:
Okay so here it is, the main reason most of us buy an Mcar. First this car is so damn fast I smile from ear to ear every time I accelerate. It throws you back in your seat and gives me the wholly shit that's crazy feeling. This car is a rev machine. It feels like it just wants you to rev the hell out of it at all times. There's a learning curve for a few days to find the sweet spots of where the gears like to shift in auto. For anyone who wants to bash the N55 as not a real m motor then too bad so sad. I love it and it sounds freaking amazing! The rumble and burbles are music to my ears. BMW took the best parts from the S55 and made the N55 special. IMO they should have just named it something different like M55. This is not a normal N55. I drove one for 6 years in my e92 so I know the difference. Comfort mode is great when you just want to ride normal. Sport and sport plus turn the car into an animal. It's really like having two different cars. Also I love driving in the traction MDM mode. The exhaust flaps stay open and I can't get enough of the burbles.
The handling and steering are just perfect. Like I said I'm not tracking or racing the car so on the streets as a DD I couldn't be happier. It's tight, has no body roll, and reacts instantaneously to the steering wheel. Yes the the ride is rough, but that's to be expected in a 2 series. This is not a car that's made for comfort driving. The cabin is noisy. My 3 series was much quieter. It's not terrible and once you turn off ASD the car is noticeably quieter inside and then after a week you just get used to it. I drive with the windows down anyways just to hear the exhaust more. Did I mention the exhaust sounds amazing! (Lol!) lastly the DCT is something I had to get used to. There's no park setting so that was weird at first, but it's not a big deal once it becomes routine. Driving at low speeds is kinda the only complaint I have. The transmission doesn't like to shift out of first gear unless you rev above 2k rpms. If you just want to creep and stay under 25 mph it's better to just shift up manually.

So those are my initial impressions after 2 weeks of ownership. Hope this helps anyone who loves the M2 and has questions. Overall the car is amazing and I've been blessed in life to be able to drive this truly amazing machine.

Here's some pics the day I got it.
Attached Images

03-23-2020, 04:48 PM   #2
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

congrats and enjoy

bsm on 437's rocks
Appreciate 1
bee50036.00
      03-23-2020, 06:54 PM   #3
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Nice review. Consider the carbon engine brace retrofit
Appreciate 1
bee50036.00
      03-23-2020, 07:35 PM   #4
bee500
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI BSM

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Nice review. Consider the carbon engine brace retrofit
Thanks. If it made the interior quieter I'd buy it right now.