BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > bootmod3 | Different ways to connect bootmod3 to you car | WiFi Adapter revealed

03-21-2023, 07:41 AM   #1
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

bootmod3 | Different ways to connect bootmod3 to you car | WiFi Adapter revealed

In this episode we will show you different ways you can connect to your vehicle! Most importantly we will finally introduce our latest and greatest Wireless connection method for your BMW F and G series vehicles and 2020+ Toyota Supra, the all new bootmod3 Wireless Adapter!

bootmod3 WiFi adapter is fully designed in-house by our engineers, built with the highest quality parts and modern chipset. It achieves perfect reliability and is the quickest adapter currently offered on the market.

Appreciate 1
F87source7235.00
      04-25-2023, 06:16 PM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Just wanted to let everyone know I got my BM3 wifi adapter in today and it is awesome! I have a review coming up soon about the adapter, but I do want to mention that it works perfectly with protool as well, incase anyone was wondering.

Also there is a small toggle switch on the back side that turns on and off the adapter, so make sure you toggle it to a different position if for some reason you cannot find the wifi hotspot that your adapter should be generating.
      04-26-2023, 06:52 AM   #3
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know I got my BM3 wifi adapter in today and it is awesome! I have a review coming up soon about the adapter, but I do want to mention that it works perfectly with protool as well, incase anyone was wondering.

Also there is a small toggle switch on the back side that turns on and off the adapter, so make sure you toggle it to a different position if for some reason you cannot find the wifi hotspot that your adapter should be generating.
if you leave it on for a while, 15+ minutes, does it get hot or overheat?
      04-26-2023, 04:06 PM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by designatedposter View Post
if you leave it on for a while, 15+ minutes, does it get hot or overheat?
I filmed some videos for my upcoming review, and my testing took over 15 mins and it didn't even seem to get hot at all, it wasn't even warm. I'll test it on longer drives and report back. My MHD adapter used to get warm, but never over heated, so I suspect the bm3 adapter will be fine.

Why are you concerned about over heating?
      04-27-2023, 10:04 AM   #5
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
I filmed some videos for my upcoming review, and my testing took over 15 mins and it didn't even seem to get hot at all, it wasn't even warm. I'll test it on longer drives and report back. My MHD adapter used to get warm, but never over heated, so I suspect the bm3 adapter will be fine.

Why are you concerned about over heating?
i have the first gen wifi agent built off rasperry pi that worked fine for years until the android app redesign. it disconnects after a few minutes, but if i shut it off and reconnect a few minutes later, works for a short time again. PTF won't approve my post on facebook looking for help..

whyd you change from your MHD adapter to this new PTF adapter? have you tested the MHD adapter with new PTF app for extended time to see if it gets warm?
      04-27-2023, 10:59 AM   #6
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by designatedposter View Post
i have the first gen wifi agent built off rasperry pi that worked fine for years until the android app redesign. it disconnects after a few minutes, but if i shut it off and reconnect a few minutes later, works for a short time again. PTF won't approve my post on facebook looking for help..

whyd you change from your MHD adapter to this new PTF adapter? have you tested the MHD adapter with new PTF app for extended time to see if it gets warm?
Email bm3's technical support instead, I'm pretty sure the facebook group is not meant for urgent technical support and is more of an enthusiast/forum-like group. Also the old raspberry pi design takes alot more power than this new OBD2 wifi agent, so the risk of over heating will have to be much higher than this OBD2 wifi adapter. I don't suspect there to be an issue with this obd2 wifi agent at all.

I switched from the MHD adapter because this new adapter is:

1) alot smaller so it greatly reduces my chance of kicking it (I drive stick so my left leg moves alot, and I keep kicking my MHD adapter).

2) the MHD wifi adapter doesn't have a sleep mode, so I keep having to unplug it and plug it back in all the time. This creates a risk of wearing out the OBD2 port over time. I would rather just have an OBD2 adapter stay in the port full time and never have to touch it. Also, it's not exactly easy to plug it into the OBD2 port from inside of the car, I always have to get out of the car to plug it in or else it'll be crooked and not connect.

3) the new adapter from bm3 has upgradeable firmware (through the app), so over time I'll be able to get new features - unlike with the black MHD adapter which doesn't have upgradeable firmware. It isn't even made by MHD, so it likely will never be updated, and if it was I doubt it'll be update-able by the end user.

4) I'm switching to bm3 from mhd.

No I've never tested the bm3 app with the MHD adapter for longer than 5 mins, and I don't intend to. I know it works with bm3, but now that I have my bm3 adapter im probably going to sell my MHD adapter. That being said, the MHD adapter did get very warm to hot, while using it with MHD gauges for hours of driving and again no issues. The adapter is super low voltage and current (and doesn't have crazy processing power) so I doubt it'll have over heating issues.