BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > MSS Adjustable Lowering Springs Review by Evolve Automotive

03-26-2020, 09:57 PM   #89
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
You say as if the suspension rides on the bump stop all the time...
The top hat does not hit the bump stop unless the travel is most extreme (like hitting a huge bump or pot hole).
The stock suspension has something in the region of 20mm off travel before the bump stop engages. If you lower by 15mm and don’t change the bump stops to shorter version you’re now at 5mm before engagement.

Do some more reading about it. Modern suspension systems are designed with a compressible bump stop and the bump stop is in use a lot more than you would think. The basic concept is that the bump stop is used to create a variable rate spring that reduces body roll by firming up rapidly under compression around turns.
Appreciate 1
Thevesh30.50
      03-27-2020, 11:53 PM   #90
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
The stock suspension has something in the region of 20mm off travel before the bump stop engages. If you lower by 15mm and don’t change the bump stops to shorter version you’re now at 5mm before engagement.

Do some more reading about it. Modern suspension systems are designed with a compressible bump stop and the bump stop is in use a lot more than you would think. The basic concept is that the bump stop is used to create a variable rate spring that reduces body roll by firming up rapidly under compression around turns.
I did not realize the stock suspension had that short of a travel range before hitting the bump stop.
From my experience of working on suspension components in the past, non of the bump stops showed any sign of stress marks, so I figured they’re there as a ‘crash pad’.
Thanks for sharing the information.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 08:31 AM   #91
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

That's crazy I thought bump stops were last resort energy reduction to reduce damage to shocks or chassis? According to above they're an integrally used part of suspension travel?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 12:30 AM   #92
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
That's crazy I thought bump stops were last resort energy reduction to reduce damage to shocks or chassis? According to above they're an integrally used part of suspension travel?
That’s what I thought too, but apparently it plays a crucial role in suspension tuning.
The MRC suspension on my previous Camaro didn’t even have one.
I guess it depends on the design.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 05:23 AM   #93
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

FWIW, on my MPerf coilovers even at oem ride height settings, there was plenty of free movement of strut damper rod before the b/stop came into play., enabling combo of v firm springs and good damping tweaks to be effective.

Not so at the rear, damper stroke minimal before rear b/stops came into play but prohibiting the damper effectiveness and weight transfer to the rear.

Trimmed 10mm off both rear bumpstops allows more damper stroke. With tweaking the damper settings, my car has more rear wheel travel with effective damping which translates to far better use of tyres - more traction and conering grip. In general, my car's manners have improved too esp if pedalling along a bumpy A or B road - both ends of the cars working more cohesively than before whether 1 up or 4 up.
      04-03-2020, 11:03 AM   #94
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Don't forget about motion ratios when thinking about damper stroke. With the rears in particular, since the damper is further inboard of the wheel carrier that means the damper moves less than the wheel does. On my F31 that motion ratio is about 0.84. In the front, since the damper mounts to the knuckle itself, it has a higher motion ratio and the damper travel is much closer to the actual wheel travel.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 06:04 PM   #95
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Don't forget about motion ratios when thinking about damper stroke. With the rears in particular, since the damper is further inboard of the wheel carrier that means the damper moves less than the wheel does. On my F31 that motion ratio is about 0.84. In the front, since the damper mounts to the knuckle itself, it has a higher motion ratio and the damper travel is much closer to the actual wheel travel.
Good point and probably why bstops are way more critcal with oem and aftermarket static dampers - as a way of stepping up damper bump response as rear springs compress.

With adjustable dampers, the bump response can be tweaked so bstops role is more to prohibit bottoming out. Chopping the bstops on my car has worked a charm but I wouldn't recommend as a default mod for everyone.
      04-06-2020, 03:02 AM   #96
bmwv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i Manual, M2 LBB DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
How is the balance of the car with these springs? Does it have more or less understeer?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 10:33 AM   #97
325smg
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 325i

Any news about the B8+mss combo?
      05-01-2020, 11:18 PM   #98
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Trabant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325smg View Post
+1

Bmp'd.

Cheers!

05-02-2020, 02:15 AM   #99
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorstein View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325smg View Post
+1

Bmp'd.

Cheers!

Lockdown probably messing up R&D plans just now 🤔
      05-04-2020, 06:13 PM   #100
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Anymore feedback from MSS owners if they are driving in lockdown?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 01:14 PM   #101
Irish_M2
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Just got some there from evolve. Will fit them when I'm home in about 2 weeks. Kinda wanted to do a drop of about 15mm on the front and 5 on the rear. As previous comment said anymore feed back would be great as this is the only info I could find on them !
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 10:43 AM   #102
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

I dropped the front about 15mm, and in order to achieve that drop, I had the height adjuster set to 16 1/2 turn from fully extended.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 05:49 PM   #103
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

How's it going for you two? @ Irish and nearwater
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 03:14 AM   #104
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
So did we ever find out if not replacing the rear bump stop (or at least trimming it) will be an issue? I'm about ready to pull the trigger on these but wanna be sure I'm not going to kill my stock rear bump stops...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 06:02 PM   #105
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C HS

Bump, wanted to see if anyone had long term updates here.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 06:50 PM   #106
OzWoz
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxified View Post
No real update Detox. My original review still stands, and now I've got used to them, they feel stock to me, which I think was their plan and my requirement.

I've noticed a couple of bad potholes transferring to the cabin, but then that's a fact of life in Sydney. My regular Sunday morning circuit is showing the same behaviour I reported above, with traction light (depending on mode of course) coming on later than stock.

There's no uncomfortable "bounce" that I've heard with other kits. Whether that's because I didn't slam it to the ground (15mm drop all round), I don't know, but I figure a medium drop will do the dampers a favor whilst Evolve hopefully come up with the matched Bilstein damper they said was being worked on.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 01:30 PM   #107
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxified View Post
Maybe worth subscribing to this thread

Video: MSS Height Adjustable Spring System for F8X https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1690765
      06-12-2020, 07:12 PM   #108
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

By the time I put PS4S on the car after doing the carbon brace not sure I feel the need for aftermarket springs MSS or otherwise now.

I wouldn't know what I'd be trying to achieve and not having a goal is pointless.

The car is so transformed by the brace at slow speeds and when getting on it in the Twisties. The car is intuitive and not skittish anymore.

So why upset things and spend cash without reason? I'd sooner update the intercooler now tbh as heatsoak seems apparent to me as an issue I'd like to go away.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 07:50 PM   #109
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
By the time I put PS4S on the car after doing the carbon brace not sure I feel the need for aftermarket springs MSS or otherwise now.

I wouldn't know what I'd be trying to achieve and not having a goal is pointless.

The car is so transformed by the brace at slow speeds and when getting on it in the Twisties. The car is intuitive and not skittish anymore.

So why upset things and spend cash without reason? I'd sooner update the intercooler now tbh as heatsoak seems apparent to me as an issue I'd like to go away.
I feel exactly the same way. I’m glad I didn’t spend the money on MSS springs when I was considering it. Not because they’re bad, I can’t comment on that, but because the brace retrofit is just so much of an improvement that I no longer feel that the suspension needs upgrading.

Please don’t misunderstand my comment that I’m trying to dissuade people from buying MSS springs... that’s not my intention at all. Whatever improvements the MSS springs (or any other after market upgrade) make will be further improved by doing the brace retrofit. And without doing the retrofit you’re not giving the stock suspension or any aftermarket upgrades the chance to work at their best.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 02:02 AM   #110
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Incremental improvements.

I agree 100% with yrs and Nezil's sentiments about the F8x alloy (and CFRP) brace retrofit.

It reads like on road you're happy with where yr car is at. No offence intended but perhaps the next area to focus on is driver tuition ?

If not, and wanting to fettle the cars hardware alittle further, any HAS is a cost effective way to add the ability to corner weight the car. Not to be dismissed if done properly and will help even a road car in the twisties.