BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Well, lost my oil pan. Anyone had to replace theirs?

01-23-2020, 05:35 PM   #1
das_m2
Private
Rep
Drives: AW M2

Well, lost my oil pan. Anyone had to replace theirs?

I went on a road trip to AZ and happened to hit the oil change interval. In my haste, I took it to an oil change shop. I know better, but I still did it. I got home and removed all my luggage. I did a once over of the car and happened to see a fresh drop of oil on my garage floor. I got under the car and holy hell the bolt was on so tight. Once it became loose, it just spun. It won't come off at all. Anyways, I see the pan online going for $850-$1200. Most of them being priced in the upper $800's.

I've spoken to 3 shops and waiting on 1 to call back. The first shop said he would attempt to re-thread the pan, but couldn't promise it would work. He also stated he never accepts parts brought in by customers. He didn't provide a quote. The 2nd shop quoted me $3000+ for the pan, bolts, gasket, oil, etc. installed. They refuse customer provided parts as well. The explanation "We can't warranty the parts provided by the customer, therefore we do not accept them".

I'm in the SF Bay area and trying to find a shop that will re-thread the pan or accept customer bought parts. It doesn't make sense for me to purchase the same oil pan for $1200 when it is available for $850ish at a ton of online retailers. Also, if anyone has a link to a DIY for the pan replacement, that would be awesome. I have been looking for an hour now and don't see much of anything.
      01-23-2020, 05:59 PM   #2
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

Have you considered taking it back to the establishment that caused the damage and simply indicate that you noticed oil on the garage floor and you'd like it checked ? Bring in your original receipt showing date/time. At this point you'll have to adapt to whatever event(s) occur. If they claim it's damaged then ask to speak with a manager and calmly/politely discuss options. If they say everything looks fine then politely request if an employee can accompany you to look underneath (be inquisitive about where the oil is coming from). Key here is to stay calm and act as if you have no knowledge of the damage. Ultimately you want to walk out of there with a manager/owner acknowledging the damage and his commitment to rectify (in writing). Damage should be covered by their insurance. Timing is key, go back ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 07:24 PM   #3
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Monika View Post
Have you considered taking it back to the establishment that caused the damage and simply indicate that you noticed oil on the garage floor and you'd like it checked ? Bring in your original receipt showing date/time. At this point you'll have to adapt to whatever event(s) occur. If they claim it's damaged then ask to speak with a manager and calmly/politely discuss options. If they say everything looks fine then politely request if an employee can accompany you to look underneath (be inquisitive about where the oil is coming from). Key here is to stay calm and act as if you have no knowledge of the damage. Ultimately you want to walk out of there with a manager/owner acknowledging the damage and his commitment to rectify (in writing). Damage should be covered by their insurance. Timing is key, go back ASAP.
Not sure if that's worth a 1800mile/32 hour drive back from San Francisco to Arizona and back again. What you spend in hotels and gas and wasted time will undoubtedly cost the same/more. Seems much easier to just bite the bullet.

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 01-23-2020 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2020, 07:27 PM   #4
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Not sure if that's worth a 1800mile/32 hour drive back from San Francisco to Arizona and back again. What you spend in hotels and gas and wasted time will undoubtedly cost the same/more. Seems much easier to just bite the bullet.
If he used a chain like Jiffy Lube he can go to any local branch. If it was an independent shop he is out of luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 07:39 PM   #5
das_m2
Private
Rep
Drives: AW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Nail on the head right here. No way I'm driving back there as the calculations don't make sense.
      01-23-2020, 09:55 PM   #6
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

Wow, such a long day and somehow I managed to skip right past this being a road trip. Apologies and I do hope you can get this corrected somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_m2 View Post
Nail on the head right here. No way I'm driving back there as the calculations don't make sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 10:04 PM   #7
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

Re-thread it. Seal is with the crush washer anyways. Any bimmer tuner shop can do it. 5 bucks for new bolt and probably the minimum shop charge. I haven’t done a bmw pan but have done others myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 04:09 AM   #8
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by das_m2 View Post

Wondering how this turned out in the end?
      05-24-2020, 01:01 PM   #9
JggyM2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

any update?? sheeeet.
      06-19-2020, 02:05 PM   #10
ROBM2C
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C , DATSUN 260z, Porche

I would like to hear an update as well, i am thinking of just keeping my oil changes strictly to the dealer only if the pan is easily stripable.
Appreciate 0