BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Audi RS5. Who likes 'em, who doesn't? WHY!!?

05-16-2010, 06:04 AM   #89
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post

To slow. I think it needs a supercharger. But grip is good, as usually.

Last edited by BMW269; 05-16-2010 at 06:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 06:23 AM   #90
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post

To slow. I think it needs a supercharger.
If you class the M3 M-DCT too slow then you may will be right.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 06:31 AM   #91
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
If you class the M3 M-DCT too slow then you may will be right.
M3 never was a drag car, but the next might be better with FI and less KG.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 06:46 AM   #92
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
M3 never was a drag car, but the next might be better with FI and less KG.
Too true.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 05:54 AM   #93
Archon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT AW/BLK

Top Gear chimes in...

OUCH!

Overall, then, the Audi RS5 will be exactly what most people want most of the time. It goes faster than anyone will ever need, it pootles around town brilliantly, it's comfortable, well made, exclusive, looks good, grips well. But I still wouldn't buy one. I'd have a BMW M3 or Mercedes C63 AMG, simply because of the delicacy of the feedback in those cars. I prefer to be in constant touch with what the car is doing, not feeling isolated from it. Effortless is great, but there's no challenge, and that's where true satisfaction lies.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/audi/a5/road-test/rs5
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 06:09 AM   #94
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Since when feedback and MB go together...

j/k. Im just being childish.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #95
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
Since when feedback and MB go together...

j/k. Im just being childish.
Actually the latest C-class has quite a good helm and the C63 is exceptionally good. It's no surprise that both of these are better than the RS5 in this respect, that's a side effect of making the driven wheels do the steering and placing a lot of weight over them but it would be selling the RS5 short to say it's awful or lacks any feel what so ever because that isn't true.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 10:16 AM   #96
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
Actually the latest C-class has quite a good helm and the C63 is exceptionally good. It's no surprise that both of these are better than the RS5 in this respect, that's a side effect of making the driven wheels do the steering and placing a lot of weight over them but it would be selling the RS5 short to say it's awful or lacks any feel what so ever because that isn't true.
If there's ever a darn rs5 demo in toronto when it comes out, I'll be sure to test drive that, c63 and m3 all on the same day. I'll make my final judgements on that myself.

But in all seriousness, if someone really wants to drive a german car that's got 0% feel at the steering wheel, drive a E300 avant garde 2009 model. That's my mom's car and god it's such a shit ride. Luxury inside but everything else is shit.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #97
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon View Post
OUCH!

Overall, then, the Audi RS5 will be exactly what most people want most of the time. It goes faster than anyone will ever need, it pootles around town brilliantly, it's comfortable, well made, exclusive, looks good, grips well. But I still wouldn't buy one. I'd have a BMW M3 or Mercedes C63 AMG, simply because of the delicacy of the feedback in those cars. I prefer to be in constant touch with what the car is doing, not feeling isolated from it. Effortless is great, but there's no challenge, and that's where true satisfaction lies.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/audi/a5/road-test/rs5
Why "ouch"? They basically said the car is too easy to drive. No need to feel insecure by making something out to be more than it is. You have a nice car too.
      05-21-2010, 09:14 PM   #98
Archon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Why "ouch"? They basically said the car is too easy to drive. No need to feel insecure by making something out to be more than it is. You have a nice car too.
Let me clarify why "Ouch"

4 years after the M3 is released "2007 EU" Top Gear whom I respect to a degree gives an overall rating of the RS5 a 15/20 against the E92 M3's 16/20 and written comments of not buying the RS5 over the M3 or C63. To me, that is ouch as I expected almost universal trouncing of the M3 by the Media.....to date it has been nothing but mixed. That's why ouch IMO.

If you're AUDI and you read Top Gear basically is telling their readers...they wouldn't buy it over an M3...Houston we have a problem.

It has nothing to be insecure 135i guy. I firmly thought my car would be eclipsed in every way after 4 years.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 12:12 AM   #99
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:

In this video you will see launch control being used and it works properly, no bogging down, the car briefly spins and then rockets to the distance. Also you'll see it under full acceleration and reaches 275km/h, if you wish you can compare it's rate of acceleration to that of an M3 M-DCT because for those who reckon it's awd system and tall gearing will dull it's upper limits of acceleration and thus prove to be slower than an M3 will be rather surprised then.
That thing definitely pulls hard after 7000rpm. The exhaust note is wayyy too uninspiring. what the hell.. I've seen european video reviews and it sounded much deeper than this. My next car has to be better sounding than that in stock form.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 01:06 AM   #100
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Quote:

It has nothing to be insecure 135i guy.
Ouch. Low blow.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 05:44 AM   #101
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
If there's ever a darn rs5 demo in toronto when it comes out, I'll be sure to test drive that, c63 and m3 all on the same day. I'll make my final judgements on that myself.
It is the only true way to see which of these cars suit not only your particular driving styles but also your needs. All are great cars so which ever you would end up with you can never be disappointed.

Quote:
Correct, this car does easy to drive extremely well, much of this is down to it's wonderful gearbox and it's awd system that find incredible traction.

Quote:

4 years after the M3 is released "2007 EU" Top Gear whom I respect to a degree gives an overall rating of the RS5 a 15/20 against the E92 M3's 16/20 and written comments of not buying the RS5 over the M3 or C63. To me, that is ouch as I expected almost universal trouncing of the M3 by the Media.....to date it has been nothing but mixed. That's why ouch IMO.

If you're AUDI and you read Top Gear basically is telling their readers...they wouldn't buy it over an M3...Houston we have a problem.
If you can pick and chose which review you wish to believe in, some have given glowing reviews where they think it's exceptional and then they is some that like this one think it's not involving enough, frankly only a personal testdrive will confirm which review is true to you.

There is only thing that can't be subjective is the data, if the RS5 is quicker, corners harder, laps in less time and brakes shorter then these are all things that show if Audi haven't sat still in those four years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
That thing definitely pulls hard after 7000rpm. The exhaust note is wayyy too uninspiring. what the hell.. I've seen european video reviews and it sounded much deeper than this. My next car has to be better sounding than that in stock form.
May be once you had heard it in real life and then came to that conclusion then I could perfectly understand, but to base such an opinion on a short video from an mobile phone's footage is probably a bit to soon don't you think?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 07:17 AM   #102
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

It has nothing to be insecure 135i guy. I firmly thought my car would be eclipsed in every way after 4 years.
135i guy? I own both cars on my sig and could easily have purchased an M3 as well, but it's not worth the money. I'd rather have a GT-R or Z06, where performance matches/exceeds the price. Typical M3 douchebag response, but thats ok because the M3's I see here are always in my rearview mirror, since that engine isn't much to talk about. It sure does go through gas quick though, you got me there.

Now as for your "ouch" comment, save the clarification. You cut and paste that particular section because that was the part you wanted to focus on. The part where the writer states "But I still wouldn't buy one" based on feedback and ease to drive.

If you actually read the paragraph you copied, you'd see that it's the writers personal preference nothing more. Nothing concrete, no numbers, no comparison with an M3 or C63 around a track. Just how he feels.

Of course you're insecure. The RS5 beats your car all day/everyday....except for maybe the RWD "feeling". Anything else?
      05-22-2010, 07:49 AM   #103
Archon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
135i guy? I own both cars on my sig and could easily have purchased an M3 as well, but it's not worth the money. I'd rather have a GT-R or Z06, where performance matches/exceeds the price. Typical M3 douchebag response, but thats ok because the M3's I see here are always in my rearview mirror, since that engine isn't much to talk about. It sure does go through gas quick though, you got me there.

Now as for your "ouch" comment, save the clarification. You cut and paste that particular section because that was the part you wanted to focus on. The part where the writer states "But I still wouldn't buy one" based on feedback and ease to drive.

If you actually read the paragraph you copied, you'd see that it's the writers personal preference nothing more. Nothing concrete, no numbers, no comparison with an M3 or C63 around a track. Just how he feels.

Of course you're insecure. The RS5 beats your car all day/everyday....except for maybe the RWD "feeling". Anything else?
Woah Woah Woah, I have nothing against the 135i, My co-worker drives the vert and she looks very cute in it. All BMWs are cool man.

I cut and paste the overall summary and yes it is one reviewer's thoughts but it's there representing the magazine and there is an overall rating at 15 vs the M3's 16. If numbers alone dictate how well a car is, then the RS5 is even a further failure as it will cost close to GTR money in the USA and not even be close to the "Numbers".

Here's two more reviews for you, no copy and paste. You do the work and get to the part where they compare the RS5 to the M3. I don't get the insecure part you keep harping on, I fully expected the RS5 to be the universal pick over the M3 and it's mixed at best. If Audi really wants to stick it to BMW, the will have to bring their A game day one like Mercedes did with the C63, not this years later stuff and yet it's still not what some reviewers would pick over the M3...give me a break.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/...deo-road-test/

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...s_new_rs5.html
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #104
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
It is the only true way to see which of these cars suit not only your particular driving styles but also your needs. All are great cars so which ever you would end up with you can never be disappointed

Quote:
There is only thing that can't be subjective is the data, if the RS5 is quicker, corners harder, laps in less time and brakes shorter then these are all things that show if Audi haven't sat still in those four years.
It is obvious the RS5 will be quicker, corner harder, lap in less time and brake shorter, but there are NO FACTS YET. I shall wait until Auto Motor und Sport compares the RS5 and M3. (Even if the M3 is better in everything, the RS5 will win, as in this magazine all VW and Audi win. A very unobjective magazine, seams to be sponsored by VAG.)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 03:01 PM   #105
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It is obvious the RS5 will be quicker, corner harder, lap in less time and brake shorter, but there are NO FACTS YET. I shall wait until Auto Motor und Sport compares the RS5 and M3. (Even if the M3 is better in everything, the RS5 will win, as in this magazine all VW and Audi win. A very unobjective magazine, seams to be sponsored by VAG.)
I can't say what Auto Motor und Sport are like, I do know that SportAuto of Germany do like all of these brands and might offer the least bias of results but as I said here earlier, it's not a magazine's opinion that will decide whether you like it or not but you yourself and if you like what you experience then you might be converted.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 07:58 AM   #106
shitbrownMcoupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 z4 M coupe

the car looks too normal... but yet again, it's an Audi, they all look normal... like a bar of ivory soap.

the TT's fugly.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 12:24 PM   #107
bavarian beauty
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92

Quote:

hey armybimmerdude,
I dont understand you....in 2007 you go out and buy the 335I....im guessing you loved the car and loved the twin turbo motor and in 2009 you go out and buy the 135I. your profile name shows that you are a fan of BMW.
So what I dont understand is why does the majority of your posts are all negative towards BMW? you slam the brand...you praise others...you attack other BMW owners who say anything negative about Audi...its just so weird!
speaking of attacking...every other post coming from you is attacking other members...calling them stupid or condescending remarks...why are you so angry?...why so much hate?....if everything on the forum pisses you off....why dont you head over to the Audi forums...you can spend hours talking about the Quattro system.
perhaps you dont own any BMW's and your just a closeted Audi fanboy...or just another foot soldier of Footies.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #108
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian beauty View Post
hey armybimmerdude,
I dont understand you....in 2007 you go out and buy the 335I....im guessing you loved the car and loved the twin turbo motor and in 2009 you go out and buy the 135I. your profile name shows that you are a fan of BMW.
So what I dont understand is why does the majority of your posts are all negative towards BMW? you slam the brand...you praise others...you attack other BMW owners who say anything negative about Audi...its just so weird!
speaking of attacking...every other post coming from you is attacking other members...calling them stupid or condescending remarks...why are you so angry?...why so much hate?....if everything on the forum pisses you off....why dont you head over to the Audi forums...you can spend hours talking about the Quattro system.
perhaps you dont own any BMW's and your just a closeted Audi fanboy...or just another foot soldier of Footies.
I was here before you, footie and most people currently here, so being a "foot soldier" of Footies? No. I'm simply an open minded lover of all motor vehicles, not just BMW's. My family has owned at least one BMW for the past three decades and yes I am utterly in love with my car. You say I slam the brand and thats false.

When I respond to someone's idiotic comments attacking another brand(it's popular on this website to attack Audi), it's because there's some bullshit idea that BMW's are the greatest cars ever made and everything else is garbage. How many M3 owners have attacked this vehicle without ever seeing a comparo? Despite the fact that it's a near certainty that the RS5 will outperform the M3 in damn near every performance category, how many have truly praised the vehicle and how many nitpick at it because they need to find SOMETHING so they can tell themselves they still own the better car.

It's the same thing that happens whenever an American vehicle is released that outperforms it's Bavarian counterpart. "It's still a ford, chevy, etc". What kind of reasoning is that? Perpetuating the stereotype of BMW owners.

Your car is a sexy vehicle with a lot of great qualities, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't appreciate other vehicles just because "it's an Audi". Nevertheless, i'll keep my opinions to myself.

Last edited by ArmyBimmerDude; 05-23-2010 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #109
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
ArmyBimmerDude,

Like you I also get branded unfairly, more times than not I praise the brand and have probably owned more BMWs than the people who accuse me. But like you I see other brands as equals to BMW, yes they are different and in many way better or worse but I wouldn't nor couldn't claim that BMW were superior.

There is no doubt some here welcome the competition that the RS5 will bring and an equal number will seriously consider it if the price is right for them, but there is a minority on here that have an unhealthy belief that anything non BMW a shit and frankly no enthusiast would ever behave in such a manner.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #110
bavarian beauty
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92

Quote:
ArmyBimmerDude,

Like you I also get branded unfairly, more times than not I praise the brand and have probably owned more BMWs than the people who accuse me. But like you I see other brands as equals to BMW, yes they are different and in many way better or worse but I wouldn't nor couldn't claim that BMW were superior.

There is no doubt some here welcome the competition that the RS5 will bring and an equal number will seriously consider it if the price is right for them, but there is a minority on here that have an unhealthy belief that anything non BMW a shit and frankly no enthusiast would ever behave in such a manner.
get off it footie, I know who you are...give me a break!...car enthusiast my ass!
All of you Audi fan boiz gotta come to terms with what is said on this forum...this is a BMW forum...you will always have members defending their car/brand/model...especially when you say how great the RS5 is and how its going to crush the M3...members will jump all over you....THIS IS A BMW FORUM!...DEAL WITH IT!
Appreciate 0