BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2 CS or E30 M3 etc?

11-26-2019, 03:53 AM   #1
yoboi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too many

Hey guys, I'm considering the M2 CS since my M2C is starting to get so track oriented. However I was kind of underwhelmed with my stock M2C, and I'd rather not do another "build". Getting an E30 M3 and building that instead sounds more appealing. Another option would be a 2020 GT350R. I own a modified S2000 that I also daily sometimes, but it's mostly turned into my laguna car now, as the M2C will get meat-balled immediately. What other raw options are there in the price range that can be dailies?

My current garage is a M2C, S2000 CR, Spec Miata, and a lotus Elise. The reason I'm considering this is because the lotus I was getting built seems to be a bit of a flake. I bought it from a shop and paid a hefty deposit. It was supposed to be done by the end of this month, now he is saying end of next month. I haven't gotten any pictures since the beginning of October either. So if he pushes the deadline any further, I might just buy a different car. I have rented from him 3 or 4 times, and it went great, but this hasn't been a stellar experience, and on the lotus talk forum he doesn't have a great reputation.

My requirements are these:

RWD
Sub M2C weight, or reviews that indicate it handles like a car weighing way less(eg ZL1 1LE)
Reliable on track
Good steering feel by modern standards
Decent sound: (doesn't sound like a popcorn machine or a blender like stock M2C)
70-85k(willing to stretch for the right car, not with ADM though)
Manual only

Thanks for your help, and if you have any hands on experience, that would be especially helpful.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 06:10 AM   #2
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

I think an E30 M would be amazing or even any E30 body with and engine swap would be cool. I almost bought the one on Bring-a-trailer that had the S54 in it... That would be fun!

Great group of cars you have. Light and fast...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 06:53 AM   #3
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

If you own an M2C not sure why you would buy an M2CS. Doesn't weight any less, still needs upgrades to be tracked properly.

Why do you care about how it sounds if its track car? You will have helmet on. Stick camber plates, pads, fluid, sticky tires on the M2C and its good to go. Wouldn't really call that a 'build'. The M2C fits your criteria and you already own it..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 06:58 AM   #4
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

Find a driver quality 911 RS America
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 07:37 AM   #5
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
I think you should just mod the M2C. I'm sure you can make it way better than the M2CS with the extra 20-25k.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 07:51 AM   #6
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Carphreak

Sounds like you want:

1. a track-focused car
2. a car you may daily on occasion in Northern California
3. a good soundtrack
4. rear wheel drive
5. good steering/handling
6. manual only
7. willing to stretch $70-85K budget
8. open to purchase of a used model

If I summarized your needs/desires then, as far as I can tell, you have almost perfectly described the purchase of 2016 981 GT4. Numerous purchase options online, most listed at about $95K price point, and I suspect you could negotiate to get even closer to your desired price point.

///AVM

Last edited by ///AVM; 11-26-2019 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 2
nomoracin761.00
A6bullet337.00
      11-26-2019, 08:33 AM   #7
yoboi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
If you own an M2C not sure why you would buy an M2CS. Doesn't weight any less, still needs upgrades to be tracked properly.

Why do you care about how it sounds if its track car? You will have helmet on. Stick camber plates, pads, fluid, sticky tires on the M2C and its good to go. Wouldn't really call that a 'build'. The M2C fits your criteria and you already own it..
Haha, thought it weighed much less due to cf parts. Kind of dissapointing to be honest. And already have those parts on my M2C, have tracked it plenty of times. Thanks for your input. Also sound matters a bit considering windows are open : P
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 08:35 AM   #8
yoboi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Carphreak

Sounds like you want:

1. a track-focused car
2. a car you may daily on occasion in Northern California
3. a good soundtrack
4. rear wheel drive
5. good steering/handling
6. manual only
7. willing to stretch $70-85K budget
8. open to purchase of a used model

If I summarized your needs/desires then, as far as I can tell, you have almost perfectly described the purchase of 2016 981 GT4. Numerous purchase options online, most listed at about $95K price point, and I suspected you could negotiate to get even closer to your desired price point.

///AVM
Will definitely research these, thanks for the idea!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 08:36 AM   #9
yoboi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COChris View Post
What is pricing like?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 08:38 AM   #10
yoboi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
I think you should just mod the M2C. I'm sure you can make it way better than the M2CS with the extra 20-25k.
I have a build thread on here haha, nearly done with mods.
Appreciate 1
nomoracin761.00
      11-26-2019, 08:40 AM   #11
yoboi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakas View Post
I think an E30 M would be amazing or even any E30 body with and engine swap would be cool. I almost bought the one on Bring-a-trailer that had the S54 in it... That would be fun!

Great group of cars you have. Light and fast...
Thanks! Also I have heard great things from friends who track about them.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 09:03 AM   #12
yoboi
Private
United_States
Rep

My take on this is that the m2 cs is a bad buy considering I own a modified m2c. I'll definitely check out the other options, hopefully the LA auto show doesn't sway me too much haha.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #13
beMtroubleYou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C '18

Garage List
2018 M2C  [0.00]
Just go M240 racing. I think they are discontinued now but there should be some racing teams selling theirs to get the CS racing.

Its kinnda complete package already done.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 10:49 AM   #14
mrdstr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 12 X5d

Garage List
The E30 M3 will be closest to the spec miata in your current fleet. When I ran mine in autocross, it was classed the same as the miata in C street prepared and ran comparable times. Given that you like to build most of your cars, the E30M3 likely isn't the right candidate. The 2.7 stroker with CF airbox setup sounds amazing, but again, power is substantially down to what you might be used to. If, however, you want the experience of owning and driving an icon, and don't mind that you won't be the fastest guy on road or track, they are great driving cars. I wouldn't trade my air cooled 911 for the world. The experience thus far has been unmatched to anything I have owned. Have you considered one of those?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 10:52 AM   #15
yoboi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdstr View Post
The E30 M3 will be closest to the spec miata in your current fleet. When I ran mine in autocross, it was classed the same as the miata in C street prepared and ran comparable times. Given that you like to build most of your cars, the E30M3 likely isn't the right candidate. The 2.7 stroker with CF airbox setup sounds amazing, but again, power is substantially down to what you might be used to. If, however, you want the experience of owning and driving an icon, and don't mind that you won't be the fastest guy on road or track, they are great driving cars. I wouldn't trade my air cooled 911 for the world. The experience thus far has been unmatched to anything I have owned. Have you considered one of those?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdstr View Post
Haven't considered an air cooled 911 yet, but I'm definitely going to research Porsche more considering I've gotten a lot of my friends/forum members recommending it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 04:38 PM   #16
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carphreak View Post
Quote:
What is pricing like?
Last I checked, about $80k and above for a driver quality example that you wouldn't feel bad taking to the track every now and then. And you probably won't lose money on one that has a good ownership history.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 05:25 PM   #17
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

My advice is to try something new to you

That pretty much eliminates the M2 CS

As much as I like the E30 M3 (I bought one off the showroom floor in 1989) and air cooled Porsches (I ordered a 993 Turbo in 1995 and took delivery in 1996) I think they are way overpriced these days (although I'm sure others would disagree)

///AVM could be on the right track with the suggestion of a late model Porsche (you could get a really nice 911, as well)

Then again, I am big fan of V8s which leads us to the GT350

The Voodoo sounds amazing, but it remains to be seen if the excessive oil consumption and reliability issues have been properly addressed

In the end, it obviously depends on your wants and needs

Decisions, decisions...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 07:59 PM   #18
yoboi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What is pricing like?
Last I checked, about $80k and above for a driver quality example that you wouldn't feel bad taking to the track every now and then. And you probably won't lose money on one that has a good ownership history.
Looked into the RS America, seems to fit me really well. What would you say this one will go for? It's local to me.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...rs-america-16/
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 08:21 PM   #19
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 08:24 PM   #20
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 10:37 PM   #21
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Looked into the RS America, seems to fit me really well. What would you say this one will go for? It's local to me.

The RS America is a really great car, but it's getting harder (although by no means impossible) to find a nice one these days without spending over $100K

The one you listed has 3 out of the 4 factory options, but is missing (IMHO) the most important one (the LSD)

It's hard to say what effect the engine mods will have on it's value (most collector's tend to prefer them to be as original as possible) but you will probably enjoy the extra power and this one supposedly comes with the original parts

Anyhow, it's already @ $75,000 with 7 days to go on the auction (also keep in mind that BAT charges a 5% fee to the buyer (up to $5,000 max) on top of the winning bid

Still, it appears to be a nice looking car with relatively low miles

Also, you can use the search feature on BAT to compare and see how others have done

https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/911-rs-america/

Nevertheless, in the end, only you can decide what it's worth to you (obviously)
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 08:59 AM   #22
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What is pricing like?

That's a very nice example that will bring over $100k. A driver quality RS America might be had for low $80s. I believe last I checked there were a few listed in the Hemmings classifieds.
Appreciate 0