BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Custom Drive Mode | Set Options Individually

11-23-2019, 05:35 PM   #1
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

Custom Drive Mode | Set Options Individually

Is there any way to set custom drive modes on the M2C?

I know you can set the M buttons, but I would like to be able to set the exhaust separately from the throttle response, separately from the auto rev matching .

Example:
Sport + exhaust
Sport throttle
No rev matching in MDM or full DSC On

I guess I could get this done through custom programming, but I'm surprised there aren't options like this in iDrive. Other cars I've driven have these options built in.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 07:17 PM   #2
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Nope, that would be a super confusing UX even if they offered it.
Appreciate 1
smknjoe234.00
      11-23-2019, 07:45 PM   #3
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks. That's what I thought.

On Audi/VW they have the presets similar to BMW, Normal, Eco, Race, etc...and then Custom.

You can set:
Steering
Throttle
Chassis (dampening)
Exhaust sound
DSC mode

Pretty simple really.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 04:35 AM   #4
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post

You can set:
Steering
Throttle
DSC mode
You can set the above to the M buttons

Only the M2CS has adaptive or variable damping

For whatever reason BMW wont let you adjust the exhaust or auto rev mathc separably.

I think the exhaust is a bit more complex than people think, my friend forces the valve closed using an app but it still opens the valves under full throttle.
      11-24-2019, 03:45 PM   #5
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yep. I'm aware of the static suspension. That was just an example.

I think you are correct about it being more complicated. At least with what's going on with the drive modes. For example, I notice the car runs warmer in Efficiency and Sport modes vs Sport +.

I guess holding the DSC button down is "technically" an auto rev match off button. I'll just have make sure I'm not driving like a moron when I do that. Easier said than done sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 04:54 PM   #6
mrdstr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 12 X5d

Garage List
If you adjust your timing, you can rev match no problem without any software override. It just requires that your rev match occur before you begin to enter the gate of the next gear. The nice part is if you under rev, the rev match will close the gap for you. Kind of like having a tutor. If you over rev, well, no help from rev match and you still have some technique to work on. In the old days of double declutch, you would perform the revmatch in the neutral gate. That is what i am currently doing. I may try adjusting my timing a bit to start the rev match as I begin to move out of the high gear. Not sure I love pausing in the neutral gate.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      11-24-2019, 05:10 PM   #7
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdstr View Post
If you adjust your timing, you can rev match no problem without any software override. It just requires that your rev match occur before you begin to enter the gate of the next gear. The nice part is if you under rev, the rev match will close the gap for you. Kind of like having a tutor. If you over rev, well, no help from rev match and you still have some technique to work on. In the old days of double declutch, you would perform the revmatch in the neutral gate. That is what i am currently doing. I may try adjusting my timing a bit to start the rev match as I begin to move out of the high gear. Not sure I love pausing in the neutral gate.
Good points. I used to rev match while still in the higher gear, but I've been practicing doing it as I go into the lower gear. Trying to see what gives me more accuracy/less rev drop.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 02:28 AM   #8
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
I think you are correct about it being more complicated. At least with what's going on with the drive modes. For example, I notice the car runs warmer in Efficiency and Sport modes vs Sport +.
I don't disagree with auto rev match, I think its dumb you can't do it separetly to the ESP. Although if you think about it a bad downshift can destabilise the car.

You are correct on the cooling. Sport + hold oil at 105C and the other modes at 115C.

This is done for efficiency vs. max cooling
      11-25-2019, 03:31 PM   #9
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdstr View Post
I do this, but it kind of bugs me when the car "corrects" me (which it does a lot since i haven't had it for that long.)

Usually i'm not giving it enough of a blip in neutral. I feel like NA cars always require smaller throttle blips for rev matching and after driving a 350Z for 13 years, my brain is always telling me to just barely tap the gas.

My first car was a Celica All-trac from 1988, which was very old school in its turbocharging. I remember making 4-3 downshifts on that thing and actually briefly flooring the gas to blip the throttle properly.

The M2 will just take some getting used to, but I do find the feature kind of obnoxious in the mean time.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134947.00
      11-25-2019, 07:46 PM   #10
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It definitely requires an adjustment period.

There are different ways of doing it for sure. Blipping at the "top" of 4th (before moving into neutral) seemed most natural to me for a long time but it also seemed slower or required more throttle to keep the revs up before I got into 3rd completely.

In my previous "fun car" I'd become quite adept at rev matching by blipping at the point just before letting up on the clutch and when I was already hitting/sliding into the 3rd gear. It felt more accurate, precise, and faster.

Turning DSC off completely is fine for now when I'm just putting around practicing. Not sure I'll do it while on a "spirited" drive.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50