BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Vrsf 6.5 fmic

02-19-2024, 01:03 PM   #1
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Vrsf 6.5 fmic

Hey everyone! My chargepipe blew up so I ordered a 6.5 inch VRSF FMIC and chargepipe. The 6.5” was recommended to me by the shop that will be installing the parts for me but after some research I’m starting to have second thoughts. I’ve read that the 6.5” increases turbo lag significantly and requires removal of the front brace to make. Is this true? Should I cancel the 6.5” and get a 5” instead? I live in SoCal so it does get hot out here.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 01:41 PM   #2
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
Hey everyone! My chargepipe blew up so I ordered a 6.5 inch VRSF FMIC and chargepipe. The 6.5” was recommended to me by the shop that will be installing the parts for me but after some research I’m starting to have second thoughts. I’ve read that the 6.5” increases turbo lag significantly and requires removal of the front brace to make. Is this true? Should I cancel the 6.5” and get a 5” instead? I live in SoCal so it does get hot out here.
There are 2 VRSF 6.5” intercoolers. The measurement is in regards to the depth, which some of the biggest Intercoolers are actually 7.5” (Wagner Evo 3 I believe) Stock is about 4” to 4.5” in depth. Frontal area on Intercoolers actually is more beneficial than depth. I last heard the depth is about 1/4 as effective as frontal area, so trying to find a deeper/thicker core really isn’t going to be best for performance.

The issues with big Intercoolers is the height - the VRSF Competition model is 8” high - the Race is 11” high. The extra height on the Race model causes contact with the chassis brace on the M2, and requires the brace being trimmed, shimmed (doubt this works) or replaced with the M235i version. There is no turbo lag on with either model. I have the Race Version on my M235i, and I have zero turbo lag. I’ve even swapped back to the “Stock tune” (MHD stage 0 running 8psi) and there was none.

For what it’s worth, I see IATs as low as 5F over ambient, and another member here saw 2F over ambient on a Pure750. I don’t believe there is a better Intercooler on the F chassis bar none. I would, regardless of Intercooler, recommend wrapping the charge pipe in gold heat reflecting tape. Also consider upgrading your inlet and diverter valve for more power and better throttle response.

Last edited by AmuroRay; 02-19-2024 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: Format
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2024, 01:41 PM   #3
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

I don't think there will be any turbo lag because the m2 runs quite a bit of boost from the factory - pretty much at the level when lag any lag introduced disappears on the m235i.

Yes you'll have to remove the front brace and replace it with the m235i v brace. Imo you should just go for the race version at that point, especially if you're going through all the trouble with removing the brace.
      02-23-2024, 12:23 PM   #4
hk235
Rep
Drives: M235i

FWIW I have the 6.5" Competition on my M235i and experience no lag. It was surprisingly easy to install, took all of 10 mins after the car was jacked up.
Appreciate 1