shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Steering Recenter Issue

I was informed by my shop that "after putting the wheels on and getting alignment at slower speeds it feels a little funky in the steering. Nothing crazy but just as a precaution I reset all the steering angles and everything. It should get better once you put some miles on it, just lmk what you think when you get back in the car".

I been away at college, but my dad picked up the car this morning and he stated that when driving, the steering wheel took longer to recenter and needed to be manually turned back to straight now. I am running stickier tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sports) but dropped down to 245/265 (oem spec). The wheels are also, M2 specs: Vorsteiner V-FF 108 carbon graphite 19" (front) 19x9.5, 22 offset, (rear) 19x10.5, 34 offset. As well, I just had a alignment done after the wheels were put on. I'm not sure why this is happening but if anyone knows why this is please let me know so I can have the shop fix the issue !

Thanks, Shane
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 03:02 PM   #2
pablom2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

I have no idea why changing wheels and getting an alignment would affect the steering wheel returning to center?

Please look at the following thread and read the first post and then my post which is the last one, maybe they adjusted by mistake the steering rack bolt? Only thing I can think of that could affect the steering wheel returning to center.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1637057&page=8
      11-17-2021, 04:34 PM   #3
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

It's a difficult technical concept to explain, but to summarise, they F it U. Ask for the alignment printout.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 11:59 PM   #4
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
update : alignment was redone, but was not the issue causing the stiff turning.

after further examination, the shop had found out that my steering rack had to be completely replaced the car is working fine now and feels normal again
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 06:53 AM   #5
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Hmm... see my earlier comment.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 11:07 AM   #6
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Hmm... see my earlier comment.
I mean it's too late now it's installed already
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 02:11 PM   #7
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Perhaps the alignment was incorrectly done. Too much toe-in would cause the wheel not to return to center.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 03:41 PM   #8
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Perhaps the alignment was incorrectly done. Too much toe-in would cause the wheel not to return to center.
perhaps, but the actual steering rack supposedly need to be replaced. car is fixed now 👍
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 11:25 AM   #9
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneguags View Post
perhaps, but the actual steering rack supposedly need to be replaced. car is fixed now 👍
Interested in knowing what the reasoning was. You just had diff wheels/tires put on and the steering won't return to center? Things aren't adding up. Returning to center isn't the function of the steering rack, its in the geometry of the vehicle and the state of the alignment.
Appreciate 2
(K)1240.50
x233284.00
      12-29-2021, 06:43 PM   #10
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Interested in knowing what the reasoning was. You just had diff wheels/tires put on and the steering won't return to center? Things aren't adding up. Returning to center isn't the function of the steering rack, its in the geometry of the vehicle and the state of the alignment.
it was recentering still just not as fast. the steering felt way more stiffer due to the electrical steering not wanting to work. basically I was doing all the steering if that makes sense. the new steering rack did help so I'm assuming that was the issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 09:24 PM   #11
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
it was recentering still just not as fast. the steering felt way more stiffer due to the electrical steering not wanting to work. basically I was doing all the steering if that makes sense. the new steering rack did help so I'm assuming that was the issue.
Sounds like too much toe-in to me, but then again I didn't inspect and drive the vehicle so I can only tell from the symptoms.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 04:01 PM   #12
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Sounds like too much toe-in to me, but then again I didn't inspect and drive the vehicle so I can only tell from the symptoms.
yea maybe who knows, it's fixed tho so I'm not stressing over it
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 09:22 PM   #13
welshjohn
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

It's possible they removed caster when doing the wheel alignment or as I've done in the past when trying to remove steering wheel play, adjusted the steering rack pinion and went a little too tight. As it's fixed, the new steering rack would have the correct amount of pinion backlash.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 12:06 PM   #14
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshjohn View Post
It's possible they removed caster when doing the wheel alignment or as I've done in the past when trying to remove steering wheel play, adjusted the steering rack pinion and went a little too tight. As it's fixed, the new steering rack would have the correct amount of pinion backlash.
There is no caster or camber adjustment from the factory unless camber plates and/or adjustable tension or lower controls arms have been installed.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 02:34 PM   #15
welshjohn
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
There is no caster or camber adjustment from the factory unless camber plates and/or adjustable tension or lower controls arms have been installed.
Absolutely. Stock isn't adjustable. I've got Millway street on mine and they're awesome.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 03:31 PM   #16
D.Yooras
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 MY18

Though it looks like the origin of this thread is from last year, there is relevant information to leave here.

Steering center (aka return to center) is affected by many things but the relevant ones are

1) Wheels/tires - Changing wheel offsets affects scrub radius which influences many aspects of suspension, chief of which is return to center. Additionally, wider tires can make the center more numb and cause the car to wander due to their added leverage and rolling resistance. Though these affects are minor, they are worth noting.

2) Alignment - There are many aspects of alignment that can affect steering center (and pull) but toe is generally not one of them. Toe influences the severity of other problems that cause pulling or return to center, but toe itself does not directly affect either of those aspects. That said, toe in generally helps the influence the suspension back to center and can have a reducing affect on alignment related pulls. Toe out can cause the car to dart around and be little more unruly as well as increase the prevalence of other alignment related pulling.

3) Steering Rack - All modern BMWs use electric power steering (EPS). The EPS has a HUGE effect on all aspects of steering and handling in these cars. First off there is a steering angle sensor that tells every module in the car where you a pointing the steering wheel. Then you have torque sensors (both input from steering and input from external road forces) that measure input from both sides of the rack that vary the amount of type of assistance. Lastly, the steering rack as torque tables that are unique to that car which are calibrated upon fitting a new steering rack to a car. As a side note, there is an update for the EPS in cars build before 01/18 (possibly later as well) that helps with steering center and overall assist feel. In fact, that first thing I did to my car was update the DSC, EPS, and rear differential which had a noticeable positive affect on handling.

Overall there are even more aspects that affect steering on newer vehicles than older one but the three aspects above are the most noteworthy.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 01:18 PM   #17
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
it was fixed, it was something with the steering rack. I think a bolt needed to be fixed or something was loose. I forgot tbh it was awhile ago
Appreciate 0