BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA > Bad Experience with Parkview BMW

10-12-2021, 07:11 PM   #1
anderson87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

I want to give my experience I had with Parkview BMW in Toronto so others can be aware if they are thinking about using them for service or already do use them. This is my experience and although with an M3 I wouldn't trust them with an M2 if I owned one either.

I have a 2016 M3 and I had a differential leak where I took it to them for service just prior to warranty ending. It was determined the rear passenger axle seal was leaking and they corrected it for me as well as a few other items. All went well.

About a month later I notice oil drops under the differential again so back to Parkview I go due to the above recent service. It was determined that the differential cover gasket was leaking and they needed to remove the cover and reseal it with liquid gasket. Again all went well no complaints.

I had no issues with the car until May 2021 when I noticed the rear differential was leaking oil drops on my driveway. I crawled under the car as far as I could (without lifting it up) and noticed it coming from the passenger side right near the axle again. I called Parkview and advised them which they said they can diagnose it for $87.50 and if found to be the same items they fixed it will fall under the 2 year repair warranty at no cost or they will advise the issue and the cost if it's something else.

They found the diff pan had become porous and needed to be replaced for $1400 plus tax. I told them I disagree with this as I have never heard of aluminum becoming porous unless cracked or punctured. I advised to leave the car as is and I will get it fixed elsewhere which came at less than half the cost.

I ended up getting the car repaired at a independent shop who specializes in BMW's and specifically M cars. The issue I have is when I picked up the car they asked me if anyone had done work on the rear end of this car which the answer was yes that Parkview replaced the axle seal and also resealed the cover about a year ago. Note - No other shops have ever done any work on the rear end of this car. The shop pointed out that it appeared either a tool slipped or someone used a tool against the aluminum pan to pry against which is right beside where the axle seal work was done. There was a very small indent in the pan creating a hole where oil very slowly seeped out and eventually started to leave drops on the driveway. Where this is located makes it impossible for road debris to damage it. Attached is photos which show it's not damage from a rock or something off the road.

Parkview advised because I didn't get it repaired by them they can't assist even though I brought it to them originally for the diagnostic. If I paid the $1400 I would have never heard about it and since I went elsewhere they can't stand behind the issue. I have raised this with BMW Canada who has reached out to the dealer but will not do anything further and stands behind the dealer. Attaching photos to this so you can see the text from Parkview who points out the exact same spot the damage is. Also part of the invoice mentioning the aluminum becoming "porous" which is a new one to me.

The dealer has offered a $350 store credit to me which is about 60% of what I am out of pocket but I'm not looking to ever service my car there or buy parts (I get discounts on parts through friends).

I just find it baffling both the dealer and BMW Canada wouldn't just make it right for the $5-600 it is and cover it as a one off mess up. It is disappointing BMW Canada doesn't at some point get involved when it's more than just hear say since I have the old pan and photos as backup. My ask was they reimburse the $100 diagnostic and the roughly $500 bill from the independent shop.

This dealer will never get any business from me in the future although I'm sure they could don't care.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 09:55 PM   #2
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB - 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
That's really rough. Thank you for sharing. If you don't mind me asking, which indy shop did you end up going to? RMP?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 06:11 AM   #3
Scrape
Car Guy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Wow. Sorry to hear that. I find most dealerships are useless nowadays hence why I do most of the work myself or take it to a reputable shop.
      10-13-2021, 08:15 AM   #4
mrexcuse
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tiguan, M2 Comp, 330 Touring

Thank you for sharing - it is good to spread this type of information out. Post it everywhere you can. Leave reviews online etc.

Good luck with the fight with BMW corporate.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 08:22 AM   #5
anderson87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Yes RMP fixed it and back to no issues.
Appreciate 1
gphung193.50
      10-20-2021, 06:09 PM   #6
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

LOL that darn porous aluminium.
      10-21-2021, 07:51 AM   #7
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

There was another member who while back went in for an oil change at Parkview under the maintenance plan but they never changed the oil.

The thread is somewhere in the F30 section.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 03:06 PM   #8
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2 Competition

Garage List
Not to throw Parkview under the bus even more, but for someone who used to work for BMW Canada, the Parkview service department was easily the worst dealer in the country that I had to work with. I haven't personally taken a car there to get serviced, but from a management and organization standpoint, every other dealer across the country was better (again, for service, not from a sales or parts perspective)

BMW Autohaus and Toronto were much better, but I think the best BMW service centre in the general area is Richmond Hill service (even though it's a bit of a hike from central Toronto). Just my opinion obviously....
      10-23-2021, 04:10 PM   #9
01ON19
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Isn't Parkview the same owners now as BMW Toronto?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 07:42 PM   #10
2+3=5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuck View Post
Yes and Grand River
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 04:19 PM   #11
01ON19
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I'm not saying this didn't happen but how would you find out about this if there is no dipstick and you just assumed they did what they said?

Here is what I think is the thread referred to:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...light=Parkview

I'm not defending Parkview, but this was a while ago and the service manager guy from then is no longer there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDarko View Post
There was another member who while back went in for an oil change at Parkview under the maintenance plan but they never changed the oil.

The thread is somewhere in the F30 section.

Last edited by 01ON19; 10-24-2021 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 07:54 PM   #12
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuck View Post
I didn't have a great service experience at BMW Toronto last time I went.. go figure