BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > My thoughts on 2018 M2 LCI, coming from E90 M3 ZCP

04-16-2020, 05:50 PM   #1
psmalley92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, Macan S, 911 C2S

My thoughts on 2018 M2 LCI, coming from E90 M3 ZCP

Hi all-

I'm going to nerd out... because I can. Ha.

Just thought I would share my thoughts because I know many E9x M3 owners struggle with what is next. They are great cars and I feel like in 2020, hard to replace.

Background on myself, 27-year-old from Detroit, Michigan area. I now live in Charlotte, North Carolina and work in sports management. Grew up around American cars but always loved German cars. I've owned almost 40 cars, maybe 6 of those were actually worth owning, but I was young and dumb. As I've matured, I have learned that it cost more than I realized as a young man to buy and sell cars. The last 4 or 5 years. I've bought and sold far less cars.

Moving on...

For me, although the bank says I can spend much more, I've always struggled with spending much more than $40,000 - $45,000 on a car. So when I decided it was time to move on from my 135k mile E90 BMW ZCP Manual, I struggled to find a replacement for it. The only cars that really got my attention the way the E90 M3 does, is the latest generation E63 AMG, and to be honest, I think if I drove it I would love the power but miss a BMW chassis. The bigger issue is the price tag of those cars.

I test drove various cars including: F80 M3s (Wow, they are fast), F10 M5's (Wow, even faster), Lexus GS-F (amazingly underrated car), and so on. None of them really grabbed my attention and the example's of those cars I wanted were just a touch more than I wanted to spend.

I test drove an M2 and wasn't impressed AT all. It felt like my old F30 340i and 335i, maybe tuned, but it didn't feel like an M car to me. I looked at a few Porsche 991 911's. I really could only afford a base and all my Porsche friends said unless you can afford an S, don't get one. I drove an S, and it was amazing but it's just not in the cards yet, I will own one, one day.

I found a 2018 LCI M2 6-Speed in MG for a steal and decided it was the best I was going to do for now. I received the car two days ago and I'm happy to report, I was actually pretty wrong.

The car is more old school BMW than you think it is but you have to drive the car pretty hard to feel it. I will compare my 2011 BMW E90 M3 ZCP Manual and my 2018 F87 BMW M2 LCI Manual below.

Appearance (9/10): Subjective for sure. I actually think this pretty equal. They both make a statement. For a 9 year old car, the E90 still looks amazing but the M2 does have amazing presence for a small, sub $60k car. I could go both ways here. I do like the ZCP wheels on the M3 better than the stock 437m wheels on the M2, and I wish the M2 sat lower (I know the M2C does). But again, both cars look very good. Two of the best looking BMW's in the last 15-20 years IMO.

Chassis (9.5/10): I actually think Fxx series BMW's didn't (don't) get enough credit for how good they are (this includes me) because the engines aren't as special as the E9x chassis cars had. The N54 and S65 were amazing engines and the E9x was very good but the Fxx chassis is actually incredible and it took me getting a F87 M2 to feel it. At the limit, the M2 rotates in a way that no E9x I've ever been in does and it does it in a much less harsh way too. The M2 specifically rotates with the best of them. I will go as far to say that it changes directions instead of rotating, that doesn't really make sense but that's what it feels like. Yes, it's small than my M3 but it's not really that much lighter (3450 to 3700) but it feels quite a bit lighter than the numbers would suggest. In typical BMW fashion, the chassis is very balanced and predictable, more than you feel like it will be when you first set off in it.

Steering (7/10): This gap has closed from the early electric steering days but the E90 still wins because of course it does. With that being said the M2 doesn't make me think "Man, I miss the M3 steering." I don't really think about it unless I really thinking about it. The M2 has very precise steering. Both cars have INCREDIBLE turn in. Yes the M2 doesn't have nearly as good steering feel but it's as good as anything out there that's reasonable priced. It's better than expected for sure.

Engine (8/10): Well, I think we all know which one wins here. The S65 is going to go down as one of the greatest production motors ever built. It's so special. I will forever miss the S65. I do think the N55 in the M2 is actually a better power plant than you think it is at first. Above 4,000 RPM it feels NA and it pulls HARD to redline. I guess it does feel like a tuned 335i, but like a properly tuned 335i, that's not peaky, etc., which I think most tuned 335i's are a little rough in my experience. The N55 in the M2 is a better every day engine and honestly even when being pushed is better than the S65 UNTIL you get to 7/10s the limit. When being driven hard there are zero engines that feel like the S65. It's as special as just about any engine ever built.

Sound (9/10): You're probably thinking, "this is easy, S65 all day." Don't get me wrong, the S65 is the "better" sounding engine for sure. But the N55 is a great sounding motor and sounds very "vintage" "old school" BMW, it has a rasp I haven't heard from a BMW in a very long time. Whatever they did different with this application of the N55 exhaust wise worked. This thing sounds the business and is actually maybe my favorite part of the car besides the chassis. Stock for Stock the M2 sounds better in my mind. Put an exhaust the M3 and it's one of the best sounding cars ever built. My M3 has a AFE exhaust on it and it sounds awesome but stock it was just ok. All the OG M guys talk about how good this car sounds, mostly to try to have a reason not to get an S55 car but they aren't lying. The N55 in this thing sounds good. Good enough to NOT buy a M2C S55 if you have the budget? Nah, not even close but it's a good sounding car.

Transmission (5/10): I actually prefer the clutch and shifter feel in the E90 for whatever reason. The M2 feels more rubbery than the M3. Same with the clutch, the E90 clutch has more feel. M2 Transmission isn't terrible but it's just ok.

Brakes (7/10): Weak point on both cars. They both stop just ok. The pedal feel of the E90 goes along with the whole car, it feels more natural to me. The M2 brakes feel slightly overboosted but once you get use to it they are fine. The M2 stops great but I just wish they gave it "real M brakes." Oh no, I sound like one of those guys now.

Electronics (iDrive, Sound System, etc) (7/10): For it's time I think the E90 electronics were fine. and I would say the same for the M2. It's not groundbreaking that's for sure, and like the E90 when new, I would say the M2 is closer to being behind in this category than being ahead. But I feel like this has been a BMW problem for a long time. I've heard some of the BRAND NEW stuff is pretty good, but I don't have $100,000 to spend to find out, so the M2 is fine. One thing I do really like is having wireless Apple CarPlay, pretty nice feature. The M2 H/K sound system is very poor compared to the 16 Speaker 825 Watt BMW Individual system in the M3. But that system was the best I've ever heard, ever. The H/K isn't bad but it's not great and not anywhere as good as even a 335i or 340i H/K system. (360 watt 12 speaker vs 600 watt 16 speaker).

Interior (7/10): Personally I think the build quality of the M3 is better than the M2. Probably not by as much as I think it is, but regardless I just feel like it is. The materials feel more high quality. I imagine in a comparable F80, this is not the case. The M2 is well built but it doesn't feel as special inside as the E90 does, even today. The seats in the M3 are better and overall it feels much more premium. The M2 seats are ok, but really just 335i seats with a M badge on them. Seats are really the only thing I REALLY wish I had from a M2C.

Other Features (Lights, etc) (8/10): As I said before looks are so subjective and I think both cars look very good. My M3 had adaptive LED headlights, and so does my M2 despite not having the executive package (I got one of the weird cars that got them standard). The adaptive headlight technology in the new BMW's has improved and I think BMW lights are some of the best. Things like entry lighting, comfort access, etc are all fine on both cars. No complaints. I like the auto wipers (both cars have it). And with all that being said It is nice how much comes standard on the M2, most of the things I've talked about are not options on the M2, they are standard. My M2 is a true stripper, only option being paint. It didn't even have CarPlay from the factory. I paid for that after the fact through BMW ConnectedDrive.

Final Thoughts (8.5/10): If you read this far, you're a nerd like me, thank you for reading. The M2 is truly one of BMW's better efforts in a while. It's not perfect but it is very good and great a dual purpose car. If you can afford it, get a 991 911 C2S or C4S because it IS a much better car. They aren't in the same zip code. But under about $70k new or used, you can't do much better than a M2, especially with OG M2 value's dropping into the high 30s. The E90 will always be a more special car but it's aging and if you don't have deep pockets and a stomach for investing time and money into an older M car, the E90 will be a tough one. The E90 IS the "next" E39 M5. And everyone that sells there E90 or has will tell everyone they use to own one and they shouldn't have sold it. When they say that though, they forget why they sold it. Because they needed a car they could rely on day in and day out and create realistic budget around and high mileage, 10+ year old BMW's are not that. E90s will become second and third cars in the next 2-5 years and when I have room for another one, I'll buy one. But if you're looking for "what is next" the M2 is not a bad place to start, but make sure you don't judge it at below 7/10's. Because it doesn't feel special until you pass 7/10s. After that, it will impress you. Stock for stock is far more capable at the limit than the E90 M and you'll have to get over shift at 7k instead of 8400. It's the way it's going to be, maybe forever.

The two cars:
2011.5 BMW M3 ZCP Slicktop
Melbourne Red / Black & Gray Dakota Leather
Manual
Fully Loaded minus cold weather
$69,700 MSRP

2018 BMW M2
Manual
Metallic Mineral Grey / Black Dakota Leather
No other factory options
--- Does have Adaptive LED headlights (listed as standard on window sticker) and Apple CarPlay
$55,045 MSRP

Yikes, this was way long! Thanks for reading. Sorry for any typos or grammar errors.
Attached Images

Last edited by psmalley92; 04-17-2020 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 14
tranck499.00
DOMs335D220.50
krono1.50
velociti181.50
Fuji550i388.00
Fuller1216.50
ried791.50
admranger2981.50
Altra265.50
      04-16-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Welcome to Charlotte. Thanks for the review. Hopefully you were able to experience it before Covid set in.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2020, 07:45 PM   #3
psmalley92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Welcome to Charlotte. Thanks for the review. Hopefully you were able to experience it before Covid set in.
Thanks! I've actually lived in the area since June 2014. But just recently moved downtown. Love it here!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 08:06 PM   #4
drledford93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus RS (RIP), C43 AMG

Congrats! I've got an '18 LCI waiting for me down in RDU. Only slightly jealous here...lol
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 08:07 PM   #5
psmalley92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drledford93 View Post
Congrats! I've got an '18 LCI waiting for me down in RDU. Only slightly jealous here...lol
You will love it. Congrats on your new car!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 08:10 PM   #6
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

As an '18 MGM MT LCI owner myself, really enjoyed reading your write up.

I test drove a bunch of E90 M3's as it was the main competitor I was looking at when I finally decided to go with the M2. In the end, I didn't want to deal with the reliability issues a used E90 might have presented.

I wholeheartedly agree with pretty much everything you've called out, bar a couple of things...

Quote:
The N55 in this thing sounds good. Good enough to NOT buy a M2C S55 if you have the budget? Nah, not even close but it's a good sounding car.
This is super subjective, but for me, the N55's sound is absolutely a good enough reason not to go an S55 M2C. Like you said, it's one of the best features of the car, so why wouldn't it be? I just couldn't imagine driving a car with a note that sounds as average as the S55. The N55 with a catless system is pure sex - my favourite part of the car hands down and probably why I don't think I'll ever be able to part with it... just makes me smile and giggle too much.

Quote:
Above 4,000 RPM it feels NA and it pulls HARD to redline.
Hmm.. Gonna have to disagree with this one. I think it's fairly well observed that the stock N55 tails off pretty quickly after 5k. At the track, I often toy between pushing to redline (mostly for the thrill of the exhaust note) and shifting at 4-5k to keep in the powerband. The latter is much, much quicker.

But hey - nitpicks there... It truly is a great car - there's nothing out there I want for this type of money. I too hope a P car is in my future, but till then, this will do just fine!!

Glad you are enjoying your M2! Here's mine at the track.. man I can't wait to get out there.

Appreciate 1
      04-16-2020, 08:13 PM   #7
psmalley92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmac View Post
As an '18 MGM MT LCI owner myself, really enjoyed reading your write up.

I test drove a bunch of E90 M3's as it was the main competitor I was looking at when I finally decided to go with the M2. In the end, I didn't want to deal with the reliability issues a used E90 might have presented.

I wholeheartedly agree with pretty much everything you've called out, bar a couple of things...

This is super subjective, but for me, the N55's sound is absolutely a good enough reason not to go an S55 M2C. Like you said, it's one of the best features of the car, so why wouldn't it be? I just couldn't imagine driving a car with a note that sounds as average as the S55. The N55 with a catless system is pure sex - my favourite part of the car hands down and probably why I don't think I'll ever be able to part with it... just makes me smile and giggle too much.

Hmm.. Gonna have to disagree with this one. I think it's fairly well observed that the stock N55 tails off pretty quickly after 5k. At the track, I often toy between pushing to redline (mostly for the thrill of the exhaust note) and shifting at 4-5k to keep in the powerband. The latter is much, much quicker.

But hey - nitpicks there... It truly is a great car - there's nothing out there I want for this type of money. I too hope a P car is in my future, but till then, this will do just fine!!

Glad you are enjoying your M2! Here's mine at the track.. man I can't wait to get out there.

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe I feel like it pulls hard to redline because everyone talks about it like it doesn't. I feel like it pulls harder to redline then the N55 in my previous 335i's at least.

If you ever have a chance to own a S65 car, do it... talk about a motor that pulls to redline, it's intoxicating.

and great video! car sounds awesome!
Appreciate 1
dcmac438.50
      04-17-2020, 12:36 AM   #8
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Enjoyed the write up, thank you.

I have to agree with dcmac...after driving both an OG and M2C, the N55 exhaust note was the primary deciding factor in my purchase.

The car is the perfect balance for my driving needs and wants. Hope it is the same for you!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 07:20 AM   #9
psmalley92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy's Dodge View Post

I have to agree with dcmac...after driving both an OG and M2C, the N55 exhaust note was the primary deciding factor in my purchase.

The car is the perfect balance for my driving needs and wants. Hope it is the same for you!
Thank you for reading. I really have enjoyed it thus far!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 05:23 PM   #10
velociti
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Really interesting comparison. I had a tuned N55 135i and adored that motor, but didn't love how compromised the stock suspension and tires were having come from an E46 M3. So, I made the right call and picked up a low-mileage E90 M3 and just love it. Hands down my favorite car that I've owned, and to me (kids on the horizon but not here yet) it's a perfect daily. But I had been looking at a used OG M2, and if I had my druthers, would own one right alongside my E90 M3. I haven't driven one yet, but it seems like it's a perfect spiritual successor to the E46 M3, while sounding better and likely being more reliable than the M2 Comp. Really appreciate your perspectives!

But almost 40 cars before you're 28...? Wow, that's...a lot of money.
      04-17-2020, 05:42 PM   #11
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Interesting perception about the sound. I'm coming from a 435 (N55) and always thought it sounded just like every other BMW non-V8 that came out in the past few years: like crap!
The S55 doesn't sound great either but I guess sounds just like looks, are totally subjective.
      04-17-2020, 05:45 PM   #12
psmalley92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by velociti View Post
Really interesting comparison. I had a tuned N55 135i and adored that motor, but didn't love how compromised the stock suspension and tires were having come from an E46 M3. So, I made the right call and picked up a low-mileage E90 M3 and just love it. Hands down my favorite car that I've owned, and to me (kids on the horizon but not here yet) it's a perfect daily. But I had been looking at a used OG M2, and if I had my druthers, would own one right alongside my E90 M3. I haven't driven one yet, but it seems like it's a perfect spiritual successor to the E46 M3, while sounding better and likely being more reliable than the M2 Comp. Really appreciate your perspectives!

But almost 40 cars before you're 28...? Wow, that's...a lot of money.
E90 is the best BMW since the E39 in my opinion. I may end up keeping mine, who knows.

Yes and 40 isn't even being dramatic. Sad really. Ha
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 05:47 PM   #13
psmalley92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
Interesting perception about the sound. I'm coming from a 435 (N55) and always thought it sounded just like every other BMW non-V8 that came out in the past few years: like crap!
The S55 doesn't sound great either but I guess sounds just like looks, are totally subjective.
I agree that the N55 in other applications isn't anything special which is why I made a big deal about how good this car sounds. Whatever they did it worked. You also have to like that BMW rasp to like the sound of this car to a degree. It sounds WAY better than the S55 but the S55 is such a powerhouse, and feels MUCH more special.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 05:57 PM   #14
E90M3velocity
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Manual-Slicktop E90 M3

Nice, I'm actually considering selling my E90 for a M2.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 05:59 PM   #15
psmalley92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3velocity View Post
Nice, I'm actually considering selling my E90 for a M2.
The E90 is still a much more special car.

However, the M2 will not disappoint.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 06:35 PM   #16
E90M3velocity
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Manual-Slicktop E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmalley92 View Post
The E90 is still a much more special car.

However, the M2 will not disappoint.
It is when its not in limp mode which this past couple years really is souring the fun. When its running no doubt it is a great car, but it's happening often despite remedying based the issues. Always something with this car of mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 07:31 PM   #17
psmalley92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3velocity View Post
It is when its not in limp mode which this past couple years really is souring the fun. When its running no doubt it is a great car, but it's happening often despite remedying based the issues. Always something with this car of mine.
I have been extremely lucky with mine but at 135k miles I fear that luck may be running out.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 07:57 PM   #18
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Great review. The m2 does have a pretty great chassis and though I love a good hydraulic steering setup, I too have been pleasantly surprised by the steering in the car. You don’t get those wonderful feelings through your fingertips, but at no point does the lack of feeling actually sap your confidence. In other words it doesn’t get in the way.

As for the sound, I’m in the camp that feels like neither car sounds amazing. For me it’s the difference between “pretty good” and “not great.” I’m not deaf, anyone with working ears can tell the OG sounds better, but I think at the end of the day, a straight six will never sound amazing to me. The S55 on the other hand doesn’t sound good, but it’s not not nails on chalkboard either. Then again, I daily drove a 350z for over a decade so maybe I have an extraordinarily tolerant ear.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 08:04 PM   #19
psmalley92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Great review. The m2 does have a pretty great chassis and though I love a good hydraulic steering setup, I too have been pleasantly surprised by the steering in the car. You don’t get those wonderful feelings through your fingertips, but at no point does the lack of feeling actually sap your confidence. In other words it doesn’t get in the way.

As for the sound, I’m in the camp that feels like neither car sounds amazing. For me it’s the difference between “pretty good” and “not great.” I’m not deaf, anyone with working ears can tell the OG sounds better, but I think at the end of the day, a straight six will never sound amazing to me. The S55 on the other hand doesn’t sound good, but it’s not not nails on chalkboard either. Then again, I daily drove a 350z for over a decade so maybe I have an extraordinarily tolerant ear.
Thanks for the note.

I think it is so interesting that when 350z's were new most people liked how they sounded. I guess as they got cheaper and the people who bought them put less than desirable exhaust on them.

If I had an extra $20,000 to spend, I would buy a M2C, I do believe it's a better car. That doesn't make the OG M2, a bad car. For the price on used market, I don't know what else delivers the fun the OG M2 does.

Last edited by psmalley92; 04-17-2020 at 08:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2020, 08:45 PM   #20
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmalley92 View Post
Thanks for the note.

I think it is so interesting that when 350z's were new most people liked how they sounded. I guess as they got cheaper and the people who bought them put less than desirable exhaust on them.

If I had an extra $20,000 to spend, I would buy a M2C, I do believe it's a better car. That doesn't make the OG M2, a bad car. For the price on used market, I don't know what else delivers the fun the OG M2 does.
I have several years into my OG M2. With the M Performance exhaust the sound is fantastic and the best of any BMW I have ever owned. I have owned BMWs since 1971.

As a daily driver the M2C does not offer an improvement over the OG M2. On the track, you get a different story. Since I rarely track my M2, I see no reason to buy an M2C.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2020, 08:54 PM   #21
psmalley92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I have several years into my OG M2. With the M Performance exhaust the sound is fantastic and the best of any BMW I have ever owned. I have owned BMWs since 1971.

As a daily driver the M2C does not offer an improvement over the OG M2. On the track, you get a different story. Since I rarely track my M2, I see no reason to buy an M2C.
Glad to see a lifelong BMW guy feel the same way I do!
Appreciate 1
DanG10444.00
      04-17-2020, 09:12 PM   #22
panda-R
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy's Dodge View Post

You bought a car based on the exhaust note?
I get it it's the whole package but the exhaust note out weighing all the pros of the m2c?
Hey whatever floats your boat!
Appreciate 1