BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > DIY Brake Duct Project

06-01-2021, 08:43 PM   #177
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I don't think I was clear about the ducting. I was planning to do what eric_rebo did with the Minimania pickup and a hose to the Burkhart dust shield
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 03:14 AM   #178
Talx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
M2Comp R has ducting as follows

Front - 3 duct paths top/oem/bottom

[img]https://images.hgmsites.net/hug/2020...00710721_h.jpg[/img]

Top and bottom add-ons can be seen in this photo..

[img]https://images.hgmsites.net/hug/2020...00710733_h.jpg[/img]

Rear - looks like a scoop fitted - seen just poking out from behind rear rotor in the photo below...

[img]https://images.hgmsites.net/hug/2020...00710719_h.jpg[/img]
Where are these pics from! I am in the process of fabing something up for my M2C. See the 2NH thread.
[img]https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1565270314[/img]

Hey Megator, this is exactly what I have been looking for. If you make them I'm interested in at least 3 kits for myself. ��

What can we do to promote this?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 03:20 AM   #179
Talx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

i was thinking of trying to use the Verus Engineering Brake Cooling Kit for the Mk5 Toyota Supra on a M2C

looks like the carbon duct will bolt up to the M2C duct in the wheel housing, i measured the supra to be 55mm width and 88 mm height.
Need to confirm M2C duct outlet size, but if it works this will clear the wheel on full lock.

Appreciate 1
      08-06-2021, 01:47 AM   #180
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talx View Post
[img]https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1565270314[/img]

Hey Megator, this is exactly what I have been looking for. If you make them I'm interested in at least 3 kits for myself. ��

What can we do to promote this?
Hey dude, I didn't end up going that way as there is 0 space once the wheels are turned.

The M2 CS racing uses these duct but in combo with a chopped up inner fender liner and steering rack limiters.

The rack limiters are not so handy on a street car lol.

You can see that in the supra design above as well, the duct needed to be squeezed into a pancake to clear the wheel and maintain the cross sectional area.

In the end I went with an under arm scoop and APs, so far I have never had fade.
      08-06-2021, 02:39 AM   #181
MrLizzzard
Private
Rep
Drives: m2

Quote:
Hey dude, I didn't end up going that way as there is 0 space once the wheels are turned.

The M2 CS racing uses these duct but in combo with a chopped up inner fender liner and steering rack limiters.

The rack limiters are not so handy on a street car lol.

You can see that in the supra design above as well, the duct needed to be squeezed into a pancake to clear the wheel and maintain the cross sectional area.

In the end I went with an under arm scoop and APs, so far I have never had fade.

Hey Megator, which under arm scoop did you go for and which pads are you using? Im suffering a little fade at the moment
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 11:49 AM   #182
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLizzzard View Post
Hey Megator, which under arm scoop did you go for and which pads are you using? Im suffering a little fade at the moment
My own design and Pagid RSL 29, its a great all around pad and pretty tough.

I have APs up front now (same pads) and its really an amazing upgrade. Up there with really sticky tires.

08-07-2021, 12:11 PM   #183
MrLizzzard
Private
Rep

Quote:
My own design and Pagid RSL 29, its a great all around pad and pretty tough.

I have APs up front now (same pads) and its really an amazing upgrade. Up there with really sticky tires.

I have the AP's up front and also using the 25mm RSL29 pads - the tires im using are crap though so thats probably overwhelming them
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 02:08 AM   #184
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I have the AP's up front and also using the 25mm RSL29 pads - the tires im using are crap though so thats probably overwhelming them
What do you mean by overwhelming them? Your braking is limited by the tires, the worse their grip is the less they will stress the braking system

This is why slicks stress the car a lot more.

1) Braking technique, are you stomping on them at the last moment and gently releasing? or riding the brakes to the braking point?

2) Software optimization, the car does a bunch of brake BS that helps with normal street driving (think pre engaging the brakes or ramping up brake pressure to help in an emergency brake situtation) which can introduce fade. I had this turned off by @daap1193 and the brakes are really great and linear now.
      08-16-2021, 10:52 AM   #185
MrLizzzard
Private
Rep

Quote:
What do you mean by overwhelming them? Your braking is limited by the tires, the worse their grip is the less they will stress the braking system

1) Braking technique, are you stomping on them at the last moment and gently releasing? or riding the brakes to the braking point?

2) Software optimization, the car does a bunch of brake BS that helps with normal street driving (think pre engaging the brakes or ramping up brake pressure to help in an emergency brake situtation) which can introduce fade. I had this turned off by @daap1193 and the brakes are really great and linear now.
That's what i mean, overwhelming the tyres, not the brakes.

I do brake quite hard but im used to modulating a race car on slicks with no abs so although im definitely open to improving still and my technique is quite hard, it is progressive.

On your second point, that is really interesting - is it possible to turn off some of the BS without stopping the ABS from working??
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 03:02 AM   #186
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's what i mean, overwhelming the tyres, not the brakes.

I do brake quite hard but im used to modulating a race car on slicks with no abs so although im definitely open to improving still and my technique is quite hard, it is progressive.

On your second point, that is really interesting - is it possible to turn off some of the BS without stopping the ABS from working??
I still don't understand point 1 unless you mean you are constantly going into ABS. If you are constantly going into ABS, I think you need to remodulate your brain to change braking points and pressures.

Having said that my second point makes this hard because every brake moment the pedal will feel (slightly) different. For example of the car thinks you could be braking harder for the "emergency stop" you are doing, it'll add pressure you may not want.

Yes it is possible to turn all of that off and keep ABS. That is how my car is. If you can get someone with ESYS that can plug into your car I can show you how.
      08-18-2021, 01:42 PM   #187
MrLizzzard
Private
Rep

Quote:
I still don't understand point 1 unless you mean you are constantly going into ABS. If you are constantly going into ABS, I think you need to remodulate your brain to change braking points and pressures.

Having said that my second point makes this hard because every brake moment the pedal will feel (slightly) different. For example of the car thinks you could be braking harder for the "emergency stop" you are doing, it'll add pressure you may not want.

Yes it is possible to turn all of that off and keep ABS. That is how my car is. If you can get someone with ESYS that can plug into your car I can show you how.
That would be great - i have a copy of esys, when im back with the car ill have a goose and pm you if that's ok.

What's weird is the front right seems to be snatching/locking a little like the ABS cant keep up on that corner, im not really trail braking (though it is a clockwise circuit)... be interesting to try it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 03:01 PM   #188
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That would be great - i have a copy of esys, when im back with the car ill have a goose and pm you if that's ok.

What's weird is the front right seems to be snatching/locking a little like the ABS cant keep up on that corner, im not really trail braking (though it is a clockwise circuit)... be interesting to try it.
Sounds like air in the calliper? The APs are a PIA to bleed. I did em 3 times with lots of vonkontsteking on them before all the air was out.
      11-18-2021, 01:03 PM   #189
Toxic-mp
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2C/M4CS

THis is my break duct

1-3 is old one,4-10 is new.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
DrKevM52269.00
      11-18-2021, 05:31 PM   #190
Robbyjai
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

wow there are some serious brake duct chopping and hacking going on... why are people not just buying brake duct kits ?? would be less destructive than hacking away at all your bits and pieces ? the BMW m2c comes with factory ducts that goes straight into the wheel well.. and all you need to buy is an adapter and the backing plates to bolt onto the brakes to channel cold air into the brakes ? why are people doing this extreme mods?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 05:51 PM   #191
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyjai View Post
wow there are some serious brake duct chopping and hacking going on... why are people not just buying brake duct kits ?? would be less destructive than hacking away at all your bits and pieces ? the BMW m2c comes with factory ducts that goes straight into the wheel well.. and all you need to buy is an adapter and the backing plates to bolt onto the brakes to channel cold air into the brakes ? why are people doing this extreme mods?
You're adorable
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 09:04 PM   #192
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

This company makes a ducting kit for the m2 comp. Looks kinda legit. Anyone wants to bite the bullet? https://www.speedengineering.de/prod...g-bmw-m2c-set/
Attached Images

11-18-2021, 09:41 PM   #193
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
This company makes a ducting kit for the m2 comp. Looks kinda legit. Anyone wants to bite the bullet? https://www.speedengineering.de/prod...g-bmw-m2c-set/
I have the speeding engineering brake cooling kit on my car.

Works well and no rubbing!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Fabb227.50
      11-20-2021, 05:37 AM   #194
Robbyjai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
this is the company i used for my brake ducting also. i run the identical set up
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 05:39 AM   #195
Robbyjai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
You're adorable
nothing constructive to add ???? theres a hell of a lot of hacking and chopping away at the brake duct areas for ghetto solutions when off the shelf products work really well.. and i track the living fk out of my car and i dont have issues

so how exactly is your comment constructive or even anything useful
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 09:30 AM   #196
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyjai View Post
nothing constructive to add ???? theres a hell of a lot of hacking and chopping away at the brake duct areas for ghetto solutions when off the shelf products work really well.. and i track the living fk out of my car and i dont have issues

so how exactly is your comment constructive or even anything useful
The OG M2 did not have any brake ducting which would bring air from the front of the car, the off-the-shelf solutions for the original M2 are not that common. DrKevM5 has tried several of the original duct solutions, as I recall the sales & support on them was pretty awful with missing bits which usually required hacking things together.

Maybe the options for M2Cs these days are pretty decent but for the original M2 there is no space for easily routing ducts from the bumper so a lot of experimenting with scoops has been required. This thread started in 2017, there's been tons of development since then.
Appreciate 2
DrKevM52269.00
      11-21-2021, 06:51 AM   #197
LLB-M2
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (N55)

Hi,

somebody tried to weld a tube at the origine protection plate? I know it its Aluminium. At the company we have some proffessional welders, only had to bring them a 60mm tube an the plates. But i read some Aluminium alloys are not able to be well weld...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 06:35 AM   #198
Robbyjai
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux2005 View Post
The OG M2 did not have any brake ducting which would bring air from the front of the car, the off-the-shelf solutions for the original M2 are not that common. DrKevM5 has tried several of the original duct solutions, as I recall the sales & support on them was pretty awful with missing bits which usually required hacking things together.

Maybe the options for M2Cs these days are pretty decent but for the original M2 there is no space for easily routing ducts from the bumper so a lot of experimenting with scoops has been required. This thread started in 2017, there's been tons of development since then.

thanks for helpful response and allows me to understand why some of these builds are like that.. didnt realise OG M2 didnt have air dams at the front to duct air to brakes

thanks appreciate
Appreciate 0