BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > The G42 as the hints of what to come for the G87?

11-18-2021, 09:39 AM   #1
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
The G42 as the hints of what to come for the G87?

Ok not purely an "///M" but.. this also is a preview of where BMW is taking the G87 when it arrives.

That said, the M240 shouldn't just live in the shadow of it's coming bigger brother as this really is a great car and a substantial update to the platform. Actually Joe Achilles was wildly complimentary of this in his recent review as well and noted a few places where it is likely superior to his M!

BMW Seattle let me know they had a brand new M240i xdrive just off the truck, so I hustled down to get hands on immediately.

This is the brand new 2nd generation of the 2 series, and the G42 doesn't disappoint. All of the new technology with the digital cockpit, updated suspension and the incredibly potent B58 motor. If you are not familiar with that engine, it is really amazing and powers a wide variety of cars even including the new Supra!

For the tuner and enthusiast crowd, the B58 has an unbelievable amount of headroom in power and torque if you want to take it that direction.

Hands on, the M240 was really fun, quick and impressive in rear wheel bias even with the xdrive system. It is very much a worthy successor to the F22, and improves in almost every area.

Check it out if you get a chance, I have a suspicion that these are going to be wildly popular.

(oh and yeah.. the new 'thundernight metallic' purple is gorgeous, as they have one, it just wasn't prepped yet)

Now no DOUBT there will be a ton of differences when the G87 lands, with interior, exterior and performance changes.

That said, if this is a hint of what is to come, I am already getting excited about the G87, plus.. S58 I assume in that frame? Its going to be NUTS.

'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 2
baege1328.00
///M TOWN16075.50
      11-19-2021, 06:53 AM   #2
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
Ok not purely an "///M" but.. this also is a preview of where BMW is taking the G87 when it arrives.

That said, the M240 shouldn't just live in the shadow of it's coming bigger brother as this really is a great car and a substantial update to the platform. Actually Joe Achilles was wildly complimentary of this in his recent review as well and noted a few places where it is likely superior to his M!

BMW Seattle let me know they had a brand new M240i xdrive just off the truck, so I hustled down to get hands on immediately.

This is the brand new 2nd generation of the 2 series, and the G42 doesn't disappoint. All of the new technology with the digital cockpit, updated suspension and the incredibly potent B58 motor. If you are not familiar with that engine, it is really amazing and powers a wide variety of cars even including the new Supra!

For the tuner and enthusiast crowd, the B58 has an unbelievable amount of headroom in power and torque if you want to take it that direction.

Hands on, the M240 was really fun, quick and impressive in rear wheel bias even with the xdrive system. It is very much a worthy successor to the F22, and improves in almost every area.

Check it out if you get a chance, I have a suspicion that these are going to be wildly popular.

(oh and yeah.. the new 'thundernight metallic' purple is gorgeous, as they have one, it just wasn't prepped yet)

Now no DOUBT there will be a ton of differences when the G87 lands, with interior, exterior and performance changes.

That said, if this is a hint of what is to come, I am already getting excited about the G87, plus.. S58 I assume in that frame? Its going to be NUTS.

how does it feel size wise compared to your M2?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 08:14 AM   #3
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post

how does it feel size wise compared to your M2?
It feels similar in cabin dimensions, and the backend looks a little wider. That likely is visual design differences but maybe slightly wider.

I took some pics of the 2nd one they had, but literally just off the truck. I really love that purple!
Attached Images

'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 1
baege1328.00
      11-21-2021, 12:00 PM   #4
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

No doubt that the G87 will be an amazing vehicle and hopefully will also get the M X-drive system like the G80/82.
However, I am also hoping they redesign that rear end but we all know that will not happen.

I like the G80/82 front, I don’t love it. I hate the G22 front completely.
I hate the G42 rear, no way I’d be able to take it…
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 08:18 AM   #5
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

A new M240 in the Thundernight color came to O'Fest Forever and ran a few autocross laps. I got a good look at it but didn't ask questions. I think he was a BMW NA rep.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-24-2021, 06:08 PM   #6
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M2C View Post
No doubt that the G87 will be an amazing vehicle and hopefully will also get the M X-drive system like the G80/82.
However, I am also hoping they redesign that rear end but we all know that will not happen.

I like the G80/82 front, I don't love it. I hate the G22 front completely.
I hate the G42 rear, no way I'd be able to take it…
The G87 M2 will not have MxDrive

So if you want xDrive this is your car
      12-03-2021, 11:41 AM   #7
Navy Davy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

If the new G87 M2 has xdrive I'll definitely consider parting with my F87 M2C. Might be worth waiting for later years to see if they make it an option tho.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 11:33 AM   #8
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
The G87 might someday be available with AWD, but in that configuration IT WILL NOT HAVE A MANUAL TRANSMISSION. I would bet against it!

NO BMW for US consumption will come with AWD & a MT from this point on.

I doubt it will ever get configured this way since the M3 & M4 already come with AWD and BMW doesn't want the cars competing with each other.

Last, I'm not interested in a close to 4000lb M3 or M4 or a G87 M2 with AWD since it will also be up the there weight wise.

I think the F87 is the last of the magic M cars.....
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 09:57 PM   #9
Navy Davy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
The G87 might someday be available with AWD, but in that configuration IT WILL NOT HAVE A MANUAL TRANSMISSION. I would bet against it!

NO BMW for US consumption will come with AWD & a MT from this point on.

I doubt it will ever get configured this way since the M3 & M4 already come with AWD and BMW doesn't want the cars competing with each other.

Last, I'm not interested in a close to 4000lb M3 or M4 or a G87 M2 with AWD since it will also be up the there weight wise.

I think the F87 is the last of the magic M cars.....
Either way it's a win win for me. Either the new G87 M2 comes out with xdrive and 6 MT and I get it or I keep one of the last true M cars, which will hopefully appreciate given all this.
Appreciate 1