BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Litchfield Bilstein Coilover review/general thread

08-24-2021, 06:36 AM   #45
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Update went for a spirited drive with new damper settings.
Back end is planted now like stock and gives a combination of excellent grip but allowing slip still if you are a hooligan at low speeds.

Road compliance and tyre contact is still improved (Vs stock) and still there.
NVH from certain tarmacs is unchanged (anticipated this woild be the case but worth mentioning). The car is livelier than when it was on softer settings, for some more fun.

Front end float is much improved but I still feel it, now and then. Especially when transitioning from having the car loaded in one direction then changing (e..g left curve then right curve) I feel a transient float sensation I was never aware of on stock suspension.

So you have a split second moment of disconcerting floating.

Now to my eyes this could be three main factors.

1) I'm more critical than before of the car as I've sunk money into aftermarket suspension.

2) rubbish in rubbish out, I need to learn how to drive

3) the suspension technically IS better than stock but now I am noticing a limitation further down the chain of the rollbars/chassis/steering EPS

As to whether I'd do it again probably not. I've gained some daily comfort with less crashing but have more large distance fatigue due to NVH not present with stock suspension. I've never changed car suspension before and have always wanted to, so in some ways I'd have done it anyway as a one off experience in my hobby.

The car is more stable when on it and looks better as is lowered but a set of springs can do that at 1/3rd the price.

I wouldn't use transformative and such buzz words, you could easily argue the differences are night and day (what I mean is they are easy to discern) but in my case with my driving style not better in all circumstances.

As above I have a driver training day coming up, it will be reassuring to have someone knowledgeable see what he thinks.

TLDR stock suspension isn't really that bad, I say this with CF retrofit and PS4S only though. No brace and MPSS a different story.

Unless you perceive your stock suspension in whatever car you own to be really bad I'd try to find peace with what you like about the stock and leave it.

Telling it how I see it, not going to blow smoke up a products' a$$ just because I bought it!

Last edited by 3t3p; 08-25-2021 at 05:21 PM..
Appreciate 4
FaRKle!3994.50
Kattanah136.00
chris7197273.00
krm347.00
      09-10-2021, 10:07 AM   #46
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

I went to 8 up front and just drove 4.5 hrs albeit full car (prev seats and glass coffee tables) on boring motorway.

I think the car feels more keyed in now front to back.

Oh and it has 10 position settings not 12. I have photos.

The passenger side shock seemed out of adjustment by 1 Vs the right. I reset them to zero then started from scratch and felt that the passenger side was different.

Sometimes the clicks are singular and sometimes a quick double click sensation.

Will see how car is tomorrow on driving course day.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 10:31 AM   #47
Billy_BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Good to hear you’re experimenting with the settings to get the most out of the car. It’s a slippery slope and once you start seeing the potential of a good suspension system, you’ll quickly have higher expectations when you drive/change to other cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 04:35 AM   #48
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Alright back from driving course, very good, intense, head swimming and have a seatbelt bruise for proof haha.

Comments from my instructor.

We did wet skid pan exercise, going round and round in a circle holding constant steer then applying smooth power to push away from the circle. He said the grip level was far higher than expected. Caveat is when in easing power to get back to the circle that it took far longer than a stock M2, of which he has a lot of familiarity just recently and in the past. Think he said he was an M power driver prev.

Other thing he commented in is lift off steering seemed to be slower than a stock car when we were using that technique.

He thinks it did 'ok' on the high speed ring which is deliberately undulated at 130mph. Tbh I was anxious about this as people report the stock car is squirrelly at this speed and above. It felt ok to me, undulations were sure felt but the car tracked well and was not getting unsettled. I felt confident to do a few 2 mile circuits at 130-135mph though it was intense!

For context I was driving peripheral vision only, constantly looking at distant apex, was not allowed to look at lane markings. There was a Bentley SUV and a prototype camo car on the same time but it wasn't busy.

Also got to 140-145mph on a straight and had no problems there. Traction was great I thought and got there much faster than I thought I would!

Main thing for me is I did not notice any floating again nor did he. He politely said it may well have been my driving beforehand.

8 at the front is firmer but still comfortable, only certain impacts are now approaching harsh into the cabin but no jarring like stock.

After yesterday I still think the rear is absolutely perfect more grip than stock but still playful. Going to leave it.

I may go back to 7 again on the front.

Noise wasn't too bad no harmonics sure some patches of tarmac were noisier than stock but nothing obscene. Wonder if things are settling further.

Overall he didn't think anything was wrong per se with the aftermarket suspension. We had a chat and we both agreed leaving cars stock generally better unless there's a very big deficiency you're trying to correct. It was rare in his experience for a mod to make a better improvement.

Last edited by 3t3p; 09-12-2021 at 05:53 AM..
Appreciate 2
chris7197273.00
Bee Pee1737.50
      09-13-2021, 02:33 AM   #49
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Overall he didn't think anything was wrong per se with the aftermarket suspension. We had a chat and we both agreed leaving cars stock generally better unless there's a very big deficiency you're trying to correct. It was rare in his experience for a mod to make a better improvement.
Reads like you had a fun but insightful day at M'brook.

Ref yr last sentence above, mods can detract from oem but factory setups are compromise - being as many things to as many customers as possible. TBH, yr instructors comment is subjective, w/o having a std car on the day to compare with.

One of the reasons I went with OEM c/overs as BMW gave you settings to work from for both road and circuit. Having driven my car long enough on same roads (and a couple of tracks) before and after suspension upgrade, the standard setup is left wanting compared OEM c/over no question.
      09-13-2021, 06:21 AM   #50
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
Have you tried other coil over suspensions?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 09:19 AM   #51
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

No never changed suspension on a car before.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 11:18 AM   #52
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I don’t think I’ve kept the original suspension on many cars, usually Bilstein, KW or other. When you are used to dialling it in it doesn’t take too long and then you tend to tweak between settings until you come to a landing. I’m quite a bit stiffer than the starting position on my Litchfield AST. I’d like some roll bars, but I’ll wait to see what moving to 255/275’s provides before. Much happier now with the negative camber arms and stock top mounts
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 02:10 AM   #53
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera2RS View Post
Much happier now with the negative camber arms and stock top mounts
What brand of lower control arms did you go for and what geometry are you running F&R ?
      09-22-2021, 06:13 AM   #54
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
What brand of lower control arms did you go for and what geometry are you running F&R ?
Just the negative camber hubs stock arms, I’m 595 height at the back and 600 front, I seem to come out with 8 degrees of caster and 3 minutes of toe at the. Front, 6 at the back 2.05 degrees rear camber and 2.25 front

I haven’t looked at the arms. I’d like to add roll bars at some point
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 09:43 AM   #55
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera2RS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Just the negative camber hubs stock arms, I'm 595 height at the back and 600 front, I seem to come out with 8 degrees of caster and 3 minutes of toe at the. Front, 6 at the back 2.05 degrees rear camber and 2.25 front

I haven't looked at the arms. I'd like to add roll bars at some point
yes same oem front hardware as my og m2 cw MPerf coilovers.

Also got -2.25 front camber ✅
      09-23-2021, 09:34 AM   #56
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Well going to 8 stiffness at front has not corrected anything, perhaps worse on the sweeping on ramp curve with expansion joint bumps.

Car is up and down, it's like it's too stiff on initial compression stroke and then too slow to return back to normal.

Need to go back to 7 on front, maybe even try 6 but worried if rear is at a 4 then am braking litchfieldmotors advice to have a difference of 3-4 between front and back?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 11:10 AM   #57
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Well going to 8 stiffness at front has not corrected anything, perhaps worse on the sweeping on ramp curve with expansion joint bumps.

Car is up and down, it's like it's too stiff on initial compression stroke and then too slow to return back to normal.

Need to go back to 7 on front, maybe even try 6 but worried if rear is at a 4 then am braking litchfieldmotors advice to have a difference of 3-4 between front and back?
Sounds like you really just need to get the dampers dyno'd, and have someone run it through a suspension model to really be able to explain/calculate what you feel and where optimal is.

Unfortunately, not the easiest thing.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
325smg11.00
      09-23-2021, 07:03 PM   #58
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
The advice is a base starting point. The goal is to have the ability to drive faster via grip, control, balance etc and with more confidence than the oem setup. If you cannot dial that in then the problem either lies with the damper design/setup or you (not being rude).

So do what feels right, the knobs are there to be adjusted and land on what feels right for your style and roads. Follow a pragmatic approach to testing so you can feel what each change is altering.

As Farkle has mentioned data on the setup will help but then you need to ask yourself is if investing the time for removal, analysis and consultation, is this the right base to start with.

Anyway good luck and hope you find the sweet spot.

It's a shame Litchfield doesn't provide the specs as part of the sale.
      09-24-2021, 05:43 PM   #59
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

I was worried that if front and rear are too similar the balance of the car is upset, perhaps dangerously so?

I'm tempted to try 6 at the front and stay 4 on the rear.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 04:04 PM   #60
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Adjusted the front to 6 rear still at 4 will see how that goes on the way to the container ship tomorrow! Next time I see her will be over two months in NZ!

Might try 6F 3R next, that might be nice thinking about it. I'm thinking cushier than stock but still taught.

All I know is 2R was ridiculous float fest esp power out of a corner the rear of the car felt like jelly!

Edit: 6 up front was nice on the motorway, comfortable and good natured. Will have to test on some twisties.

Last edited by 3t3p; 10-01-2021 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 05:06 AM   #61
Burnie37
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Lichfield Bilstein Pss10 coilovers

My M2C also has the Litchfield Bilstein setup and its night and day better when compared to the stock setup. I have left mine as per Litchfields settings as not noticing any downsides to what they have setup. Not a cheap upgrade at just shy of £3k fitted and aligned, but worth the outlay in my view.
Now with pictures
Attached Images

Last edited by Burnie37; 10-25-2021 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: Add pictures
Appreciate 2
      10-25-2021, 05:38 PM   #62
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnie37 View Post
My M2C also has the Litchfield Bilstein setup and its night and day better when compared to the stock setup. I have left mine as per Litchfields settings as not noticing any downsides to what they have setup. Not a cheap upgrade at just shy of £3k fitted and aligned, but worth the outlay in my view.
Now with pictures
Do you know the settings? It is expensive AF!

Try flooring it leaving a corner as you feel able, my car was a total squish fest at 2 on the rear. Highly imprecise in feel and unpleasant.

Going to 4 is OEM firmness broadly speaking and much better with improved traction.

Been on a motorway with rough tarmac yet?

Adjusting rears...only way I can see is to lie down and scooch under the car!?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 07:57 AM   #63
Burnie37
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Mine looks to be 4 rear and 7 front and 2.3 bar tire pressure all around. No not noticed any squish on booting it and it seems really stable and "planted" on the road.
It's never going near a track, so as is, I find it firm riding, but compliant if running over an uneven road.Not sure if there is any difference between the suspension on an M2 and M2C.
Monkey Harris of Top Gear loved it on his M2C and I tend to agree with him. It sounds like you're not sure about it on your car?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 09:03 PM   #64
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

I was at 4R 7F but last setting I put it on was 4R6F.

I'm sure if I went to stock suspension I'd notice it was different, I just don't think it's £3000 different and depending on road surface can be noisier.

Nice not to have quite the crashing into the cabin though. 8 up front will pretty much give you that crashing albeit still rounder than stock but is arguably too stiff for the road.

Yes no squish fest with 4 at the back, why mine was set so soft at 2 and 5 I don't know?!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 04:37 AM   #65
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

I've been in NZ five months roughly and have had the car here for a couple.

So glad I brought the M2 here, some great emptier than UK roads.

I left the car 4R 6F and think this is the sweet spot tbh.

Daily comfort is great, no crashing.

On spirited drives loads of grip and car feels balanced.
The longer I drive on the suspension the more I understand it's sophistication. Why?
Because I both forget it is there, just enjoying a supple compliant ride but also in situations that I'd pucker up on base suspension the car deals with the drama then settles so well.

For the road at least I'm leaving it set like that I have had no negatives.

Now to find a track...
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2022, 03:18 AM   #66
RJE Tyre Man
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition E46 M3

Litchfield Nitron

Has anyone experienced knocking from all 4 corners when going over sunken drains or speed bumps with the Litchfield Nitron suspension kit? I have Nitron fitted to a 2020 M2 Comp which has a unpleasant knock when fully compressed or extended on any of the 4 corners. Litchfield are super helpful and will sort, however any feedback from previous Nitron installation's on M2 Comp would help
Appreciate 0