BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Any idea what the residuals are on the M2

06-21-2016, 01:40 AM   #1
Johnny utah
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP MGM S/O

Any idea what the residuals are on the M2

10k yr
36 months
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 01:55 AM   #2
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Have to spec one up on the BMW site then see. The UK finance bit of the site allows this. Pretty sure it's oddly not great, less than 50%!
      06-21-2016, 02:22 AM   #3
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 -17, i3 REX -17

Less than 50%? If you buy it you can probably sell it for over 60% after three years. Perhaps even more.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 06:16 AM   #4
San79y
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
Less than 50%? If you buy it you can probably sell it for over 60% after three years. Perhaps even more.
Totally agree with this. The standard depreciation calculator that people use does not apply to cars like this which means you can get a good finance deal as your car will be worth a lot more than their prediction. I don't think it will be 1M style where they are all now more than list price, but way better than the 50% quotes.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 06:50 AM   #5
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by San79y View Post
Totally agree with this. The standard depreciation calculator that people use does not apply to cars like this which means you can get a good finance deal as your car will be worth a lot more than their prediction. I don't think it will be 1M style where they are all now more than list price, but way better than the 50% quotes.
I guess it all depends on supply.I remember the M4 scenario where in the first year it was not dissimilar to that for the M2,a generalized frenzy,people asking over msrp,waiting lists and now you're tripping over the things.

I do note that the GFV for the M2( in the UK at least) if you go down the finance route isn't very special.

A sign of things to come once the market has settled down perhaps...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 07:46 AM   #6
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Lease residuals and money factor remain the same in June (as in May).

Current lease residuals and money factor for 36 month lease on an M2:

47% - 15k miles
49% - 12k miles
50% - 10k miles
Money factor is .00138

Got this from the post on lease rates from the pricing and ordering page.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 07:58 AM   #7
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives View Post
I guess it all depends on supply.I remember the M4 scenario where in the first year it was not dissimilar to that for the M2,a generalized frenzy,people asking over msrp,waiting lists and now you're tripping over the things.

I do note that the GFV for the M2( in the UK at least) if you go down the finance route isn't very special.

A sign of things to come once the market has settled down perhaps...
I don't know the british market but here there's no way you would get an M2 at 50% after 3 years. A decent M2 will cost £50k here. Would you be able to buy it for £25k after three years?

That's what you will have to pay for a three year old M135i with around 35000 miles on the clock over here. I think the M2 will be at £5-10k above that. Which means a 60-70% residual.

Obviously it will be worse if you just hand it in to the dealer. But I'd still expect around 55% at the very least.

I think it will benefit hugely from being the cheapest and most affordable M car. Especially in the slightly longer run.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 08:00 AM   #8
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Well, that's just bad IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Lease residuals and money factor remain the same in June (as in May).

Current lease residuals and money factor for 36 month lease on an M2:

47% - 15k miles
49% - 12k miles
50% - 10k miles
Money factor is .00138

Got this from the post on lease rates from the pricing and ordering page.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 08:44 AM   #9
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
I don't know the british market but here there's no way you would get an M2 at 50% after 3 years. A decent M2 will cost £50k here. Would you be able to buy it for £25k after three years?

That's what you will have to pay for a three year old M135i with around 35000 miles on the clock over here. I think the M2 will be at £5-10k above that. Which means a 60-70% residual.

Obviously it will be worse if you just hand it in to the dealer. But I'd still expect around 55% at the very least.

I think it will benefit hugely from being the cheapest and most affordable M car. Especially in the slightly longer run.
Like I said a bit of a guess.I know the cost of living in the Scandinavian countries is higher than over here in the UK for example, which probably goes a good way to keeping the used value higher for you.

If production does ramp up and discounts become the norm, then this will have an impact as well,as will original National quota playing a part,so the smaller the allocation the rarer it is per country capita ?

The M135i for example can easily be had with ~ 18% discount over here and a 3yr old example like the one you have noted is approximately £17/18K (asking),so well under with discount.With the exception of the 1M in recent times I'm of the opinion that BMW don't hold value too well at least compared to Audi over a 3yr span.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 09:27 AM   #10
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Well, that's certainly a nicer way of saying that we are poor. ;-) However, you can't compare Sweden with Norway and Denmark because they have ridiculous taxes on cars. In Denmark a new M2 is £97k PLUS extras. In Norway the prices start at £70k. While here in Sweden they start at £42k. So yeah, sucks being a car enthusiast in Denmark and Norway for sure. Although Norwegians are rich in general... Oil in the North Sea...

Here the usual discount is 6-8% if you buy it normally yourself or 10% if you buy it as a company. I have my own business and can get the 10%. Perhaps even 11-12% if I really push it.

I actually bought two BMW F31s (one 330d and one 335d) at http://www.bmwtaxfree.co.uk/export-s...n=introduction and got good discounts. Back in 2013 when the GBP was cheap.

Collected them in Ashford and drove them all the way here to Sweden. Roughly 2000 km.

Well, too bad you have the steering wheel to the right... In mainland Europe the used car prices are closer to eachother thanks to the possibilities of importing/exporting. It's rather common here to import from Germany (and even Italy) and a used car in Germany is usually cheaper than here but not by much. Really depends on the exchange rates between SEK and EUR if it's at all profitable. Right now it's not. But there are more cars to choose from and if you want a special colour and stuff you can still do it.

I guess it's more difficult to sell a British RHD car to another country. (Japan, Australia, India, South Africa...?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives View Post
Like I said a bit of a guess.I know the cost of living in the Scandinavian countries is higher than over here in the UK for example, which probably goes a good way to keeping the used value higher for you.

If production does ramp up and discounts become the norm, then this will have an impact as well,as will original National quota playing a part,so the smaller the allocation the rarer it is per country capita ?

The M135i for example can easily be had with ~ 18% discount over here and a 3yr old example like the one you have noted is approximately £17/18K (asking),so well under with discount.With the exception of the 1M in recent times I'm of the opinion that BMW don't hold value too well at least compared to Audi over a 3yr span.
Appreciate 0