BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Screwed Over by BMW of Asheville

05-17-2016, 06:53 PM   #1
alterrain
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BSM M2

Screwed Over by BMW of Asheville

I contacted BMW of Asheville last Sunday noticing a new LBB listing and got a call back that it was available Monday morning. They took a 2k deposit to secure it and I started to fill out finance documents, email copies of my license, etc. everything was progressing fine. Today I didn't receive any calls which I thought was pretty odd, so I called trying to get ahold of my salesman and eventually got a call back saying they want to sell to a local instead of me (CA resident) even though I was the first to contact them about it. This has been a mix of highs and lows, such a disappointing day for me... Not a dealership that keeps their word.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2016, 07:47 PM   #2
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by alterrain View Post
I contacted BMW of Asheville last Sunday noticing a new LBB listing and got a call back that it was available Monday morning. They took a 2k deposit to secure it and I started to fill out finance documents, email copies of my license, etc. everything was progressing fine. Today I didn't receive any calls which I thought was pretty odd, so I called trying to get ahold of my salesman and eventually got a call back saying they want to sell to a local instead of me (CA resident) even though I was the first to contact them about it. This has been a mix of highs and lows, such a disappointing day for me... Not a dealership that keeps their word.
It's ok. Let them have their little victory. They need it. Sorry bastards.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2016, 08:04 PM   #3
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Yep, heard that one before. They want to sell it to a local to reward a past customer and/or keep the service dollars coming in after the sale. Remember, that's where they make the big bucks. Sorry to hear, and none of this helps you now. But if they are willing to do that after taking your money and promising you the car, there's a good chance you avoided an overall lousy transaction and more wasted time with them down the road...

Best of luck with another one.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2016, 08:33 PM   #4
Vitacura
Ich Liebe mein BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M240i CV, 23 X1

That was after they took a deposit? Sorry to hear, what a bummer!
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2016, 09:05 PM   #5
turboadam
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Comp Pkg

do you have a signed contract?
If yes, if you have the inclination, take them to court.
If the shoe was on the other foot, they would threatening that.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 07:20 AM   #6
Shankska
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Agreed. sorry to hear that man

2019 F87 M2C, Long Beach Blue, Exec, 6MT
2016 F87 M2 - Sold 9/2018
2014 F22 M235i - Sold 5/2016.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 07:23 AM   #7
her02k
Private
Rep
Drives: 997 turbo

Quote:
What was the story with that car? Was it a demo or customer car that someone backed out on?
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 07:48 AM   #8
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

That sucks.

For me, this whole process was stressful. I thought the car was never secured until I drove it off the lot. I had monies down, signed buyers orders, email after email stating my position in line...I never felt secure.

I still never got the exact car I wanted and the way I wanted.

I hope you can source another car soon.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 08:40 AM   #9
alterrain
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitacura View Post
That was after they took a deposit? Sorry to hear, what a bummer!
Yep, after a deposit... The search continues as my local dealer has no idea when it will get any allocation
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 08:42 AM   #10
alterrain
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboadam View Post
If yes, if you have the inclination, take them to court.
If the shoe was on the other foot, they would threatening that.
Good point, but unfortunately no... everything was done very fast over the phone on Monday. Something I need to keep in mind next time, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #11
alterrain
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by her02k View Post
What was the story with that car? Was it a demo or customer car that someone backed out on?
It was a demo that the GM was driving around (dealer plates). Nobody on their wait list wanted that color so it was available for purchase... but not to everyone apparently, thanks GM
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 09:03 AM   #12
alterrain
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miiipilot View Post
That sucks.

For me, this whole process was stressful. I thought the car was never secured until I drove it off the lot. I had monies down, signed buyers orders, email after email stating my position in line...I never felt secure.

I appreciate it, glad you secured one... I could imagine how stressful that could've been for you. I'm still pretty down but I don't want to pass up another M2 so the search continues (along with being on wait lists)...

I'll just be on the lookout, a girl on her search for an M2
Appreciate 2
      05-18-2016, 09:46 AM   #13
Rogue_fxdl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 / '11 325is/89 325is

I recently test drove that car. Can I ask you how much they were asking and I believe it has about 1200 miles now? I've ordered a BSM/DC-T
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 12:00 PM   #14
ForkLiter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 M Sport

Quote:
Thanks for making us aware. Don't forget to provide feedback on their Google review and Yelp...even FB.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 01:43 PM   #15
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by alterrain
Quote:
Originally Posted by miiipilot View Post
That sucks.

I appreciate it, glad you secured one... I could imagine how stressful that could've been for you. I'm still pretty down but I don't want to pass up another M2 so the search continues (along with being on wait lists)...

I'll just be on the lookout, a girl on her search for an M2
keep us posted. if I hear of any cars, I'll pass it along
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 09:48 PM   #16
turboadam
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Comp Pkg

Isn't it interesting that even a "prestige" dealership turn into scumbags when a buck is to be made. They really are no different to a second hand car dealer.
Appreciate 2
      05-19-2016, 08:04 AM   #17
alterrain
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue_fxdl View Post
I recently test drove that car. Can I ask you how much they were asking and I believe it has about 1200 miles now? I've ordered a BSM/DC-T
They were asking MSRP 57,375 ... good luck with your order, BSM is definitely stunning.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #18
alterrain
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Wanted to share some new developments... I wrote a letter to BMW North America (venting my frustrations) and got a voicemail today from the Executive Offices at BMW North America saying the CEO, Mr. Willisch, shared my letter and to call them back, unfortunately I have to wait until Monday to do so (eastern time)!!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 10:15 AM   #19
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboadam View Post
Best to have one; but, not legally necessary. Verbal contracts are real and enforceable if certain conditions are met. See this:http://thelawdictionary.org/article/...gally-binding/

It seems to me that if the dealer took possession of your money then you have a strong case. That action is clear intent on the part of both parties.
Court action would be a hassle, for sure. Particularly since you are out of state. The dealer knows all this. He's banking on the fact you are not likely to accept the legal course.
Scare him a little bit. Make your feelings known to the SM and include your conclusion the dealership violated a contractual arrangement. Argue that simply excusing themselves out of that contract by claiming a better customer came along is, from a legal standpoint, laughable. You should demand to know when their next allocation will be available.
IMO, at the very least, you have some leverage here. Why not try to use it?

Just read your update: Good for you!!
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2016, 09:39 AM   #20
spotshooter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

OP, how did BMW NA respond to your letter?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 08:37 PM   #21
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
1,735 views and counting...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 08:06 PM   #22
alterrain
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

BMW NA called my local dealer and spoke with a sales manager, now that dealership is actually more motivated to snag me an M2 whenever they get an allocation. Before this all happened the dealer told me they had no "official" wait list nor were taking deposits. The sales manager will call me when they receive any info. BMW NA is still very responsive and looking to help out, I have to call them back tomorrow about any findings with the California/region representative (not sure that is the correct title lol).
Appreciate 1