BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Wife needs new car BMW X3 30i vs Porsche Macan

04-14-2024, 06:37 AM   #1
Condorll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Wife needs new car BMW X3 30i vs Porsche Macan

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Yes she has car fever this spring. Wants to trade in her 2017 Acura RDX (V6 290hp 0-60 6 seconds) for a CPO 2022-23 X3 30i or CPO 2022-23 Macan (base 4cyl). She doesn't like the X3 40i, too hot to handle for her, so we are staying with the 4 cyl turbo engines. We test drove both yesterday and found the BMW engine smoother, faster and more responsive? BMW also has HUD which the Macan doesn't. Love the Macan cockpit though, seating position feels like a sports car, not an SAV like the X3.

Anyone have any comments, experience with comparing these two cars with the base 4 cyl engines? Hard for us to judge on a 15 minute test drive, but leaning towards the BMW X3 even though I would love to have a Porsche in the garage next to my 2023 X5!

All comments appreciated!

Last edited by Condorll; 04-14-2024 at 06:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 07:07 AM   #2
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
I've not driven a G01 X3 but own a Macan. A couple of factors in the X3's favor are (1) Porsche service prices are insanely high at the dealership and (2) rear seat room in the Macan is considerably less -- if you have kids, test-fit before you buy.
Condorll202.00
heavyD^23688.50
      04-14-2024, 07:30 AM   #3
335i54n
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e39 m5

x3, smoother dd, bigger, cheaper to maintain, better infotainment-like all u said. unless you have air suspension and can appreciate the handling (for a high premium), bmw is leaps above what audi, mb and porsche (suv/vw shared parts) imo. subjectively with the bxx engines (passed toyota qdr) and 8hp, bmw has the best powertrain imo and always been tops in infotainment. how old is the 4cyl ea888 now even if it on it 4th redesign iirc and their new ground up 6cyl had big teething problems and had to drop displacement (3.0 to 2.9) for higher hp version to handle the extra boost.
Appreciate 1
Condorll202.00
      04-14-2024, 09:09 AM   #4
Condorll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i54n View Post
x3, smoother dd, bigger, cheaper to maintain, better infotainment-like all u said. unless you have air suspension and can appreciate the handling (for a high premium), bmw is leaps above what audi, mb and porsche (suv/vw shared parts) imo. subjectively with the bxx engines (passed toyota qdr) and 8hp, bmw has the best powertrain imo and always been tops in infotainment. how old is the 4cyl ea888 now even if it on it 4th redesign iirc and their new ground up 6cyl had big teething problems and had to drop displacement (3.0 to 2.9) for higher hp version to handle the extra boost.
Thanks, I had no idea the Macan had a VW engine!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 12:03 PM   #5
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condorll View Post
She doesn't like the X3 40i, too hot to handle for her, …

All comments appreciated!
Here are a few thoughts.

I didn’t test drive the Porsche when I was shopping for my M40i. A friend who owns a Panamera suggested the Macan, but opined that the 4 is “wheezy.”

But if your wife finds the M40i too hot, then the four cylinder Macan might be a good fit.

I read an article in the Wall Street Journal that suggests that the Macan may appreciate in value. That said, I doubt that the four cylinder will be a big part of that.

I’m a bit surprised by her comment about the M40i. I find my M40i quite docile in Comfort or Eco Pro modes with a gentle right foot. Perhaps the ride is a bit less cushy than the 30i, but I find it easy to drive in routine driving, and I can get impressive gas mileage for what it is, especially when droning on the highway. With part throttle I get smooth results that would require stomping on the accelerator in the 30i.

That said, if she doesn’t feel any need for the extra HP, you can save money and get a bit better gas mileage by going with the 30i.

Also, to put things in context, that 30i will out-drag (stock) muscle cars from the ‘70s and ‘80s. Probably out-handle them as well. It is not a slow vehicle. It’s merely the least-fast G01 X3.

If she’d prefer comfort and a cushy ride, a Volvo or Audi might be a better fit. Or Lexus. Etc.
Llarry15304.00
      04-14-2024, 12:19 PM   #6
JimmyTheHand
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3 on order, Porsche Macan

I switched from an X3 (F25) to a Macan SD, both were pre-face lift models so a while ago.

One thing that I thought after a short period of use was Porsche spent more time trying to make the switches look "pretty" than thinking about people using while driving, even after owning it for 6 years I still have to look or feel and count to confirm I'm hitting right button - something I never had to do on the BMWs after a few weeks. From what I see on the face-lifted Macan there are some improvements, but I'd spend time checking that before buying another one.

If you want something to throw around on the road then the Macan is hard to beat for similar size and type, but I found when snow/grease on the road more likely to kick the tail out than the couple of BMW X-Drives vehicles I've had.

Then there is servicing costs - I'd suggest doing homework.

I've an IX3 on order through a company scheme (probably keep the Macan as well for now) - The electric Macan wasn't on the scheme when I ordered, but I think I'll wait a while and let others sort the bugs.

Both are nice places to sit and drive
Appreciate 2
Condorll202.00
Llarry15304.00
      04-14-2024, 02:08 PM   #7
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

In addition to what I wrote earlier, also check out how comfortable the two of you find the seats.

Some people do not find the X3 seats comfortable. There are multiple threads on this topic herein.

It took me some dialing in to get the seating position right, but now I find the seat comfortable: not quite as good as my previous BMW or VAG products, but still good.
      04-14-2024, 07:29 PM   #8
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condorll View Post
Thanks, I had no idea the Macan had a VW engine!
It consists of a lot of VW parts.
Appreciate 0