BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > COVID-19 therapy: a long drive in our cars is just what the doctor orders!

03-30-2020, 03:15 PM   #177
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Well, now it's better than ever to make that trek.. Nowadays, CT to Queens would run you less than hour of travel, give or take.
https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavi...7ay-story.html
I actually live close to Corona, Queens (yes, I'm serious) by the mall but sometimes alternate to my girlfriend place by 104th St @ Madison Ave, in Manhattan.
I was driving around in Brooklyn the day I saw the spectators in the park. And literally just a few mins a go:
One positive is they didn't tear down the yellow police tape when sneaking in. The other 'positive' is what their tests results will be when they're screened for covid.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 05:40 PM   #178
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Quote:
Well, now it's better than ever to make that trek.. Nowadays, CT to Queens would run you less than hour of travel, give or take.
https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavi...7ay-story.html
I actually live close to Corona, Queens (yes, I'm serious) by the mall but sometimes alternate to my girlfriend place by 104th St @ Madison Ave, in Manhattan.
I was driving around in Brooklyn the day I saw the spectators in the park. And literally just a few mins a go:
One positive is they didn't tear down the yellow police tape when sneaking in. The other 'positive' is what their tests results will be when they're screened for covid.
Yep, people fail to understand the virus can live on surfaces for days.

I was out grabbing some food at Costco (in queens) and surprised there were still lines during the early afternoon. Unfortunately, I didn't se any M2Cs in the parking lot
      03-30-2020, 07:02 PM   #179
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Went a solo mountain cruise over the weekend. Pretty much only enthusiasts were out there.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Kankles1484.50
Sarg33554.50
      03-30-2020, 07:19 PM   #180
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I wish we could go on a long drive. We are in a stay at home except to go to the doctor, drug store or grocery store.
Appreciate 1
MMMBRAP975.50
      03-30-2020, 07:31 PM   #181
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Guys, I think I'm losing it, lol.

I can't keep living like this. Other than going for weekend drives (when it's not freaking raining on weekends), my entire life routine is just off (as I'm sure everyone's is), and cabin fever is becoming a constant irritation.

I just realized today I can't even go get a haircut for god knows when.

How are you guys holding up with this crap. There's only so many times I can go walk the dog, go for a hike, go for a drive, and get groceries.

My dog is literally giving me the "PLEASE STOP TAKING ME FOR WALKS" face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post

I was out grabbing some food at Costco (in queens) and surprised there were still lines during the early afternoon. Unfortunately, I didn't se any M2Cs in the parking lot
Rego Park Costco? Man great to see so many Queens peeps here!
Appreciate 2
DanG10568.50
Poochie9103.00
      03-30-2020, 07:40 PM   #182
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBRAP View Post

I can't keep living like this. Other than going for weekend drives (when it's not freaking raining on weekends), my entire life routine is just off (as I'm sure everyone's is), and cabin fever is becoming a constant irritation.

How are you guys holding up with this crap. There's only so many times I can go walk the dog, go for a hike, go for a drive, and get groceries.

Quote:

Haha not quite, Costco on Vernon in LIC.

I too I'm so bored as well. Just bought a Pelaton to keep me exercising. Also thinking of buying a Xbox so I can play F1... FYI not a previous gamer at all. Feels like I'm spending more these days, guess I'm doing my part to keep the economy rolling 😂
      03-30-2020, 08:16 PM   #183
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:

Our lockdown started at 8PM today and I pulled into the garage with the M2C at 7:59 PM after an hour drive.

That was the one thing I enjoyed at the end of the work day, working from home thanks to Covid. Luckily I live in a area where I can still do my daily jog and walk the dog without coming across too many people, so there's that, but not driving the M aimlessly or just getting in a car and going somewhere is going to suck! Now life is really about to suck.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
MMMBRAP975.50
      03-30-2020, 08:22 PM   #184
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Likewise:

Name:  Disobedience.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  36.2 KB
MMMBRAP975.50
      03-30-2020, 09:49 PM   #185
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haha not quite, Costco on Vernon in LIC.

I too I'm so bored as well. Just bought a Pelaton to keep me exercising. Also thinking of buying a Xbox so I can play F1... FYI not a previous gamer at all. Feels like I'm spending more these days, guess I'm doing my part to keep the economy rolling ��
LOL we're all buying all this stuff because of COVID. I also feel like I'm spending more, so I've been doing my best to curb that itch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Our lockdown started at 8PM today and I pulled into the garage with the M2C at 7:59 PM after an hour drive.

That was the one thing I enjoyed at the end of the work day, working from home thanks to Covid. Luckily I live in a area where I can still do my daily jog and walk the dog without coming across too many people, so there's that, but not driving the M aimlessly or just getting in a car and going somewhere is going to suck! Now life is really about to suck.
Man I should count that blessing at least. CT has not (yet) ordered a full lockdown so I'm still able to drive the M aimlessly. I miss the days when I'd go for a long drive and stop by a local coffee shop to sip on some cold brew and just look at my car, lmao.

What's pretty crazy is even once this is all "over", the concern is a potential "flare up", where it basically just takes ONE person to infect a bunch of people all over again. FFS!
Appreciate 1
FreeDarko217.00
      03-30-2020, 10:31 PM   #186
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Coronavirus leaves California freeways empty, police warn of uptick in drivers speeding over 100 mph

https://www.foxnews.com/us/coronavir...patrol-100-mph
It's interesting...I've commented to my wife that the few times I've been on Denver highways over the last two weeks, I've seen or been in involved in more near accidents than the last few years combined.

No question that the lack of traffic has seemingly given drivers a false sense of entitlement to do whatever they want.

Be safe out there!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 11:25 PM   #187
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Went a solo mountain cruise over the weekend. Pretty much only enthusiasts were out there.
Love that Palomar Mtn. drive
Appreciate 1
pz6193277.00
      03-30-2020, 11:31 PM   #188
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

A lot of reckless assholes out there, that turn the US highways into the Autobahn..

Or so I've heard.. 🙃
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Kankles1484.50
      03-30-2020, 11:36 PM   #189
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
LOL we're all buying all this stuff because of COVID. I also feel like I'm spending more, so I've been doing my best to curb that itch.

Man I should count that blessing at least. CT has not (yet) ordered a full lockdown so I'm still able to drive the M aimlessly. I miss the days when I'd go for a long drive and stop by a local coffee shop to sip on some cold brew and just look at my car, lmao.

What's pretty crazy is even once this is all "over", the concern is a potential "flare up", where it basically just takes ONE person to infect a bunch of people all over again. FFS!
The only reason it will seem "over" and the numbers dropping is because of the social distancing. Which is just to get the hospitals more prepared and not overloaded even more. Personally, people should be doing things to boost their immunity during the downtime, as well. Daily multivitamin, eating more fruits/veg/meats/brown rice, cutting back on the sugars/complex carbs(bread, pasta), stop smoking and drinking alcohol, etc. A healthy immune system will help decrease the severity and duration when you get sick.

I'm not particularly sure there is an immunity to it yet. I know there are reported people getting it twice. Which I think has to do with the virus mutating to target different receptors. A few weeks ago I was seeing the research say it targets the ACE-2 receptor, but has mutated to target 35 other receptors in different strains. I mention that it was a few weeks ago, because I don't know what the latest research is showing. But if it targets different receptors, bouncing between which it can find to infect, and mutating to target different onces, I'm not sure if/how a vaccine or immunity will work. I'm not a Dr, so don't take that as me saying "a vaccine won't work" but take it as a warning to be careful in getting back to normal after you perceive it to be over.

I was thinking today that I will start getting back to a normal life after hospitals show me they can handle me if I get sick. However, that may be a stupid decision if there isn't a vaccine or immunity to it. I could let my guard down, get sick thinking that it will be okay, then find out that I'm stuck with it for life.

It could be like HIV/AIDS, where there is no cure and can be spread without you being symptomatic. From the research side of it, there are papers showing pieces of HIV were spliced into SARS, which would be congruent with this behavior.

Time will tell. Practice utmost safety until there is evidence you are clearly safe to catch it.
Appreciate 1
MMMBRAP975.50
      03-31-2020, 01:11 AM   #190
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Likewise:

Attachment 2271925
I guess some counties needs to take India's approach, by using corporal punishment, as a deterrent of curfew violators :

Appreciate 1
chris7197331.50
      03-31-2020, 04:51 AM   #191
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

Quote:

You can borrow my dog...She is a 5 year old Brittany and has an endless supply of energy. I am literally giving her the "PLEASE STOP ASKING TO GO FOR WALKS " face daily. lol

Current: 2021 X3M
Gone but not forgotten: 2020 M2C LBB MT
Appreciate 2
MMMBRAP975.50
Poochie9103.00
      03-31-2020, 08:26 AM   #192
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
The only reason it will seem "over" and the numbers dropping is because of the social distancing. Which is just to get the hospitals more prepared and not overloaded even more. Personally, people should be doing things to boost their immunity during the downtime, as well. Daily multivitamin, eating more fruits/veg/meats/brown rice, cutting back on the sugars/complex carbs(bread, pasta), stop smoking and drinking alcohol, etc. A healthy immune system will help decrease the severity and duration when you get sick.

I'm not particularly sure there is an immunity to it yet. I know there are reported people getting it twice. Which I think has to do with the virus mutating to target different receptors. A few weeks ago I was seeing the research say it targets the ACE-2 receptor, but has mutated to target 35 other receptors in different strains. I mention that it was a few weeks ago, because I don't know what the latest research is showing. But if it targets different receptors, bouncing between which it can find to infect, and mutating to target different onces, I'm not sure if/how a vaccine or immunity will work. I'm not a Dr, so don't take that as me saying "a vaccine won't work" but take it as a warning to be careful in getting back to normal after you perceive it to be over.

I was thinking today that I will start getting back to a normal life after hospitals show me they can handle me if I get sick. However, that may be a stupid decision if there isn't a vaccine or immunity to it. I could let my guard down, get sick thinking that it will be okay, then find out that I'm stuck with it for life.

It could be like HIV/AIDS, where there is no cure and can be spread without you being symptomatic. From the research side of it, there are papers showing pieces of HIV were spliced into SARS, which would be congruent with this behavior.

Time will tell. Practice utmost safety until there is evidence you are clearly safe to catch it.
This is correct, we aren't really gonna be out of this for a year or so until treatments and vaccines are developed. All these measures are only in place to slow the exponential growth of the virus. I'm not really sure how we even go back to normal until then, because spread happens as soon as people resume their normal lives. Anyway, I've got to figure out what essential means so I can at least go out in the M once in a while (but the wife may kill me)
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 10:03 AM   #193
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
This is correct, we aren't really gonna be out of this for a year or so until treatments and vaccines are developed. All these measures are only in place to slow the exponential growth of the virus. I'm not really sure how we even go back to normal until then, because spread happens as soon as people resume their normal lives. Anyway, I've got to figure out what essential means so I can at least go out in the M once in a while (but the wife may kill me)
I've been thinking after about a year, will we even know what "normal" is anymore. I imagine a year later, we would all be (the responsible ones anyway) so use to social distancing that being at a "normal" distance will probably seem really odd, or we'd have to break the 6 ft social distance habit we're now all getting used to.

I had a thought this morning when I woke up that we're redefining what normal is right now.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 10:15 AM   #194
JCZ5
Major
Rep

People also forget the various subsequent "waves" we will be faced after the initial pandemic.

This is currently faced with Asian countries where they were suppose to be recovering. It will definitely be a year of this, for good or bad.
      03-31-2020, 10:24 AM   #195
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
I've been thinking after about a year, will we even know what "normal" is anymore. I imagine a year later, we would all be (the responsible ones anyway) so use to social distancing that being at a "normal" distance will probably seem really odd, or we'd have to break the 6 ft social distance habit we're now all getting used to.

I had a thought this morning when I woke up that we're redefining what normal is right now.
Humans are social beings, and we will go back to our social ways. However, I think the economy and society's behavior may shift. I know my clients are already starting to talk about the new normal of working from home, and how in the future non-customer facing and routine taskers can work from home, saving them real estate costs. This would also be great for our overtaxed infrastructure and environment.

I also grudgingly got my first grocery delivery today, because I love being out, touching feeling my own produce and going to the grocery stores. But it wasnt so bad, stuff just showed up, I kept working. Think of how much we have reduced our carbon footprint recently (I'll keep my M2C purchase 3 months ago out of this). I think society and behavior will certainly shift for the better

I miss eating out. I love food and its the highlight of my day when I can grab a meal at my favorite places, or try a new one. That part sucks, and a lot of the smaller places will not come out of the other end of this.

Its going to be painful for a lot of folks, probably some pain felt by 90% or more, the longer it goes. Maybe it's the reset this planet needed?
Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
MMMBRAP975.50
      03-31-2020, 10:44 AM   #196
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

I'm already in contact with urban dictionary to include gloveless handshaking to the definition of rawdogging. Normalization from the bottom up lol.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 03-31-2020 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2020, 11:10 AM   #197
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Went for a quick drive down the coast. Was pretty shocked how many people were at the beach. In fact, there was an electronic traffic sign that said “Beach closed, practice social distancing” with about 50 people next to it.
Yea, I drove by one of the bike trails the other day and it was more packed than I've ever seen it. What happened was it was our first warm day this year, which enticed everyone to get out to enjoy the day. More-so because they've been couped inside for a couple weeks and don't have work. Even the streets of our city had a bunch more people than usual on them, walking dogs and walking around. Our mayor did nothing about it. Only thing she talks about on her twitter is promoting different take-out restaurants. Which I think is stupid and pointless, which I won't get into now... Also, we had our St. Patrick's Day parade canceled, but all the bars stayed opened and all the college kids and others decided to continue the parade and spend the day out drinking anyway. Our mayor did nothing. As far as I can tell she's not even organizing medical supplies for us, but leaving that up to the hospitals to handle. She's ~27yrs old and birthed her first kid, as a single mother, the first month she took office. So she has a child to pay attention to, on top of being mayor.

Outside of complaining about my mayor... I think it's dumb stores run on limited hours. It ends up crowding the stores more during the hours they are open, exposing more people to infection risk.
27 as mayor🤮

I'm 26 and run my own business(barley) but I know damn well I could not run a whole city!

That's wild that she got elected.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 12:43 PM   #198
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
27 as mayor��

I'm 26 and run my own business(barley) but I know damn well I could not run a whole city!

That's wild that she got elected.
She ran under the "I'm a family person, for the hard working single mothers" campaign. And my city has become overrun with socialist progressives and "do-it-all wonderwomen"

Oh, I just remembered an important part. Our previous mayor resigned. His home was raided by the FBI and 24hrs later he plead guilty to extorting and bribing business looking to work in the city. So we had a mad rush of people quickly campaigning to take over.
Appreciate 0