BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Underwhelmed M2C

05-19-2020, 01:56 PM   #23
ed1118
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
Were you driving in Efficient? If so it feels supper sluggish in that mode, especially coming from a tuned N54 which creates boost really early. Once tuned and put in Sports + there's no chance you wont be impressed.
I think it might be the drive mode!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 02:00 PM   #24
Hankdoll
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2/M3/4/5

OP, you're in socal. For a few hundred bucks you can go out to thermal (palm springs) and do the bmw performance driving school. I did this a couple times. Lots of fun and you can drive an M2C on a proper track. The car is really fast and extremely capable. You can also try some others (M3 / M4 / M5 comps) for comparison. Spoiler, they're all fast.
      05-19-2020, 02:25 PM   #25
ed1118
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankdoll View Post
OP, you're in socal. For a few hundred bucks you can go out to thermal (palm springs) and do the bmw performance driving school. I did this a couple times. Lots of fun and you can drive an M2C on a proper track. The car is really fast and extremely capable. You can also try some others (M3 / M4 / M5 comps) for comparison. Spoiler, they're all fast.
Thanks for the info! Definitely need to try it.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 03:17 PM   #26
kyrocks
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Touring

I wanted a sporty daily driver that could hold a couple kids and 2 sets of golf clubs in back. I drove the M5, M4, M3, and M2. I have had 2 E46 M3s and an E92 M3 in the past. After an 11 year hiatus from BMW I decided to give it a shot again. I didn't like the direction they have headed and their M cars are just not the same. Heavy cars for the masses now.

The M5 was fast, roomy, and luxurious, but the price (even with a large discount) was too much for a DD. The M4 (both coupé and cabriolet) were boats. They did not feel like traditional M cars. Felt heavy and big. Trunk was tiny and could barely fit one set of golf clubs. The M3 was better. I preferred 2 doors, but four doors would be better for my kids. Styling was okay.

I wasn't considering an M2. I thought they were too small. Then I walked by it and the size was perfect. The trunk was large compared to M4. It looked pretty sporty. The drive was WAY better than the M4 and it reminded me of my E46 days. I drove the manual and DCT. Both were good. Manual was a little rubbery compared to my other manual transmission cars. The back end was light and controllable with acceleration and the car was actually FUN. This was the car for me after driving quite a few others. I chose DCT because it was going to be my DD and I have 3 other manual cars. I now have 600 miles on it and am thrilled with it. It brings me back to my younger years with the E46. It does sporty daily driving for a driver and 3 passengers extremely well.
Appreciate 6
F87EVO4004.00
///AVM2528.00
admranger2981.50
dmboone254970.50
devo755.00
      05-19-2020, 04:00 PM   #27
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrocks View Post
I wanted a sporty daily driver that could hold a couple kids and 2 sets of golf clubs in back. I drove the M5, M4, M3, and M2. I have had 2 E46 M3s and an E92 M3 in the past. After an 11 year hiatus from BMW I decided to give it a shot again. I didn't like the direction they have headed and their M cars are just not the same. Heavy cars for the masses now.

The M5 was fast, roomy, and luxurious, but the price (even with a large discount) was too much for a DD. The M4 (both coupé and cabriolet) were boats. They did not feel like traditional M cars. Felt heavy and big. Trunk was tiny and could barely fit one set of golf clubs. The M3 was better. I preferred 2 doors, but four doors would be better for my kids. Styling was okay.

I wasn't considering an M2. I thought they were too small. Then I walked by it and the size was perfect. The trunk was large compared to M4. It looked pretty sporty. The drive was WAY better than the M4 and it reminded me of my E46 days. I drove the manual and DCT. Both were good. Manual was a little rubbery compared to my other manual transmission cars. The back end was light and controllable with acceleration and the car was actually FUN. This was the car for me after driving quite a few others. I chose DCT because it was going to be my DD and I have 3 other manual cars. I now have 600 miles on it and am thrilled with it. It brings me back to my younger years with the E46. It does sporty daily driving for a driver and 3 passengers extremely well.
Happy to hear all that my friend ! I was sure that you will love the car ! Amazing driving experience , compact Cars like this are rare these days ! You made the right desicion , and i wish you infinite miles with joy ! Back to good old days now !
      05-19-2020, 04:12 PM   #28
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

In some ways, the M2c doesn't feel as immediately "sports car like" as a lot of cars out there with similar levels of performance. I know some people complain about ride quality, but to me it rides just fine and it honestly feels like a very normal car when i'm driving it around normally.

But it really transforms when its time to boogie. The engine feels pretty torquey, but rev it out and you'll find it actually loves operating higher up in the powerband. The fine-but-not-great ride quality reveals a chassis that's super eager to change direction with shockingly small amounts of body roll. Cleanly cutting back and forth through sweepers is pretty magical in this car.

And then there's the other side of the car, the dirty side. Treat the thing like you're a 17 year old who finally bought the used Camaro you've been saving up for all summer long; and the car will make you laugh out loud. It somehow does all the stupid shit a muscle car will do with way more focus and precision, and yet it feels just as raw and edgy.

Its a little bit of a weird car though, people see it drifting and doing burnouts and stuff and assume it's always on, like a lotus or that one friend who doesn't know how to modulate his voice in the library. But really it's not like that. It's very much a normal car until you ask it to be something else, at which point it will happily oblige.
Appreciate 7
///AVM2528.00
Davil6333.50
SeanWRT3179.00
ewohar21.50
hlm2c289.50
      05-19-2020, 04:15 PM   #29
ed1118
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
In some ways, the M2c doesn't feel as immediately "sports car like" as a lot of cars out there with similar levels of performance. I know some people complain about ride quality, but to me it rides just fine and it honestly feels like a very normal car when i'm driving it around normally.

But it really transforms when its time to boogie. The engine feels pretty torquey, but rev it out and you'll find it actually loves operating higher up in the powerband. The fine-but-not-great ride quality reveals a chassis that's super eager to change direction with shockingly small amounts of body roll. Cleanly cutting back and forth through sweepers is pretty magical in this car.

And then there's the other side of the car, the dirty side. Treat the thing like you're a 17 year old who finally bought the used Camaro you've been saving up for all summer long; and the car will make you laugh out loud. It somehow does all the stupid shit a muscle car will do with way more focus and precision, and yet it somehow feels just as raw and edgy.

Its a little bit of a weird car though, people see it drifting and doing burnouts and stuff and assume it's always on, like a lotus or that one friend who doesn't know how to modulate his voice so he can talk quietly. But really its not like that. Its very much a normal car until you ask it to be something else, at which point it will happily oblige.
Yes. This is the answer I was looking for!! I concur with you pretty much.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 04:17 PM   #30
ed1118
Rep

Quote:

Would you choose the manual if not considering any other factors?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 04:52 PM   #31
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Moflow summed up my thoughts best.

Frankly it's what I would expect out of a BMW. It's not a track car. It's not a daily driver. It's both of those things at once, while also being a lot of other things in between. And therein lies it's beauty to me.
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4004.00
      05-19-2020, 08:17 PM   #32
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed1118 View Post
Hi all. Hope everyone is safe and sound. Went to test drive the M2C few days ago and it didn't really "WOW" me. Coming from E92 335i. I had a high expectation for M2C. It looks great in hockenheim silver. The turning and steering feels relatively same. ......
I'm confused - the steering feels the same? That doesn't make sense - the E92 steering should feel very different. Much more effort, no on center dead spot - does you car have active steering by chance?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 08:59 PM   #33
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I had an FBO E92 335i that I ran on E85... it made 450 whp and similar tq... ran an 11.9@120 1/4... extremely fast car. Pound for pound, it was waaaay faster than my M2C...

...still it was a piece of shit compared to the m2c. It was unreliable, had a completely unfit suspension built around runflats, floated around corners and had 0 durability. It comes down to what you want, there are far cheaper straight line cars... if you want a car that can do it all, the M2C is it.
      05-19-2020, 09:08 PM   #34
kyrocks
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Touring

Quote:
Quote:

Would you choose the manual if not considering any other factors?
Honestly, I don't know. I prefer manual on all my cars because that's me. BMW manuals are, in my opinion, rubbery feeling and less precise. I still think as a pure car enthusiast though the manual is the more fun option. I am enjoying the DCT on this car and it was the right choice for me. If it was my only car I would have probably got the manual.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 12:52 AM   #35
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Turn off DSC, put transmission and engine into D3 and shift manually if it is DCT and voila, you have your ultimate driving machine.

I thought the ride was pretty stiff even compared to E92 M3 ZCP. Great car, I just wished it had better ergonomics and goodies that came with a base M4 back in 2014.
      05-20-2020, 01:36 AM   #36
scflaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: M135I, Macan S, G26 i4M50

The 335i Feels faster probably because of the turbo lag. I had a Modified E93 335i and the m2c is much faster than it. I agree with the seats being too high, the seating position in the 335i felt much sportier.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 11:49 AM   #37
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

This car really doesn't feel as heavy to me as many in here suggest. (Street only car)

Stock this thing out performs every single modified car I've ever had especially in the corners.

Like where is everyone feeling the weight? I don't get that complaint.

Yeah the numbers are there but it doesn't seem to matter for the streets.

Yes the seating is too high though.

Edit: just went for a drive and I can feel the heft when rowing gears
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 12:06 PM   #38
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Yes. I definitely need to experience the M2C more.
It is crucial that you remember to test drive it in Sport or Sport+ mode.
Comfort (default) mode, while smooth for sure, will not impress you.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 08:52 PM   #39
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
I'm confused - the steering feels the same? That doesn't make sense - the E92 steering should feel very different. Much more effort, no on center dead spot - does you car have active steering by chance?
I wouldn't be surprised. I never thought the steering was anything to write home about on the standard E9x cars. Artificially heavy and weird compared to Z4M or E46 M3 ZCP. I guess it's not the same at all, but I don't know that the E92 335 steering is light years better.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 09:45 PM   #40
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised. I never thought the steering was anything to write home about on the standard E9x cars. Artificially heavy and weird compared to Z4M or E46 M3 ZCP. I guess it's not the same at all, but I don't know that the E92 335 steering is light years better.
I don't think it was artificially heavy - probably heavy cause it needed more boost - reminds me of the X5s/X6s at the time.

But seriously, once you were driving, the heaviness was gone and it was just about perfect. Nobody has ever said that of the BMW electric units.

I'm actually excited to have my 16 year-old drive my M3 and 1M back to back. I want him to see what "it used to be like". To me, it is night and day.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 02:59 AM   #41
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
stick with a 335i or the g series 330 if you're a the seat has to be low guy.
Can you elaborate on this? Being a tall guy and test drove M2c one time and I was particularly bummed by the seat height even though I lowered it all the way down. Will an aftermarket seat fix this or is the platform limitation?
      05-31-2020, 05:36 AM   #42
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
Quote:
Can you elaborate on this? Being a tall guy and test drove M2c one time and I was particularly bummed by the seat height even though I lowered it all the way down. Will an aftermarket seat fix this or is the platform limitation?
Not that I'm aware of.

All aftermarket seats are high too because they're off the shelf design and require support/adapter to fit BMW. It is the support/adapter that adds height by a lot.
      06-01-2020, 03:46 PM   #43
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
Quote:
Not that I'm aware of.

All aftermarket seats are high too because they're off the shelf design and require support/adapter to fit BMW. It is the support/adapter that adds height by a lot.
Nobody has a seat/bracket combo that lowers our driving position?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 06:29 PM   #44
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
I had to drive two m2's before I bought mine.

The second time I drove it, I took it home and parked it in my garage.