BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Spotify Issues?

04-18-2020, 10:40 AM   #1
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Spotify Issues?

Not sure if this has been addressed already, but lately Spotify doesn't even show up on my screen anymore, and my music is routed through convention BT settings.

I unpaired/paired my phone a few times.......and nothing. The app is just gone from iDrive.

Anyone experiencing this?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 11:03 AM   #2
Kohner86
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Happens to me a lot, I've found rebooting the phone and turning the car on/off a few times helps.
Appreciate 1
MMMBRAP975.50
      04-23-2020, 03:06 PM   #3
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
The Spotify integration is really shaky.. I gave up last year and use the Music Collection 99 percent of the time.. Otherwise Bluetooth..

Saw recently that the Spotify disappeared for me too..
Appreciate 1
MMMBRAP975.50
      04-23-2020, 04:46 PM   #4
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80M3 - M2 comp ETA 14.10.2019

This is where BMW is lacking ca 400 years on Audi......
it works with me in ca 30% of the occasions.
Thought we arrived in 2020 ?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 05:00 PM   #5
Kohner86
Private
Rep

As someone who works is software, BMW (like all car makers) really suck at making good software. The amount of resources that go into developing a good navigation/music etc... system is immense, and the car makers cannot complete with what tech companies like Google/apple put out.

IMO BMW has an engineering culture problem where they feel the software is an after thought, they think people buy the car for the driving itself, missing that good software is a huge part of the modern driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 03:34 PM   #6
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

This was an issue since mid / late 2018.

I read then that android Spotify version 8.4.77.779 was the last version that worked fully with BMW of our generation.

So i just got the install file of that version for android, manually installed it on my phone and stick with it, DON'T update it.

Still works great in the M2C..But using direct BT as a single source is easier IMO as often the car calls up both at startup and simultaneously plays different direct BT music and Spotify BT music at the same time overlayed.. WTF!

Well odd time or two it has disappeared I have to remove the phone from the car device list, reconnect and it comes back.

Problem is a lot of people put their phone on auto-update but the many devices we connect to are not updating... if it aint broke....i dont use auto update ever.

Spotify et al dont give a flying f##k about maintaining BMW integration.

Last edited by doughboy; 04-30-2020 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 02:28 AM   #7
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
It's true that Spotify are mostly to blame because like you say it worked pretty well a few years ago. The software in the car doesn't change by itself but Spotify updates all the time.

So, its too bad that they don't maintain that backwards compatibility,its really nice to have that type of integration in the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 07:23 AM   #8
Kohner86
Private
Rep

I've been using this with pretty good success:
https://github.com/hufman/AndroidAutoIdrive

It's kind of a pain to setup (you need to be tech savvy) but the Spotify integration is WAY better than the native one.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 05:40 PM   #9
Altra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 AW M2

My Idrive stopped seeing the Spotify option a couple weeks ago after Spotify updated itself to the latest version (8.5.68.904).

If you're on android, you can go here and pick up an older version:
https://spotify.en.uptodown.com/android/versions

For me, Spotify integration works on version: 8.5.66.1002.
I'm using a Galaxy Note 10+. July security patch.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 12:56 AM   #10
Ribosome
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 | 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altra View Post
My Idrive stopped seeing the Spotify option a couple weeks ago after Spotify updated itself to the latest version (8.5.68.904).

If you're on android, you can go here and pick up an older version:
https://spotify.en.uptodown.com/android/versions

For me, Spotify integration works on version: 8.5.66.1002.
I'm using a Galaxy Note 10+. July security patch.
This didn't work for me

I had spotify work with my S9+ when I bought my car in October. It lasted maybe a month before it stopped showing up. I've tried rebooting the phone, installing the previous version that worked, and had the dealer update idrive. I've just given up and mount my phone in front of the vents and change songs from there and stream via bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 05:33 PM   #11
Altra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 AW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribosome View Post
This didn't work for me

I had spotify work with my S9+ when I bought my car in October. It lasted maybe a month before it stopped showing up. I've tried rebooting the phone, installing the previous version that worked, and had the dealer update idrive. I've just given up and mount my phone in front of the vents and change songs from there and stream via bluetooth
Ah bummer. Do you have the BMW Connected app running? Sometimes my idrive doesn't see spotify unless I open the connected app first, then start the car.

I admit this integration is wonky at best. HTH
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 06:51 AM   #12
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Does using apple carplay resolve the Spotify issues? Spotify works maybe 20% of the times with idrive, was wondering if it's works all ok with carplay which I'm considering buying.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 11:08 AM   #13
perzonal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
Does using apple carplay resolve the Spotify issues? Spotify works maybe 20% of the times with idrive, was wondering if it's works all ok with carplay which I'm considering buying.
Im using Spotify via Carplay and have no issues at all
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 08:43 PM   #14
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perzonal View Post
Quote:
Is your car just using Bluetooth? Or both Bluetooth and wifi?

I'm considering installing the wifi antenna in the car to get better connectivity.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 10:13 AM   #15
perzonal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm considering installing the wifi antenna in the car to get better connectivity.
Sorry for the late answer. Using Carplay it is via Wifi while using it via the idrive it's via bluetooth.

For Carplay, if you don't have the antenna already I highly suggest that you get it. It is cheap, easy to plug in and gives you so much better coverage. Without it Carplay more or less needed the mobile as close as posible to the headunit.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 02:21 PM   #16
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry for the late answer. Using Carplay it is via Wifi while using it via the idrive it's via bluetooth.

For Carplay, if you don't have the antenna already I highly suggest that you get it. It is cheap, easy to plug in and gives you so much better coverage. Without it Carplay more or less needed the mobile as close as posible to the headunit.
No problems - thanks for the reply.

Turns out I already had the antenna and I did get carplay from kubax86 .

Spotify and phone connectivity works great now with carplay - so much of an improvement than playing off the head unit via bluetooth.
Appreciate 0