BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M2C suspension: better than the one of the OG M2?

03-22-2020, 06:46 PM   #45
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Got a CF strut, aluminium brace, reinforcement rings and screws off a wrecked M4 on eBay for £360 that's a record low though.

Funny today I put the stock steel brace into storage and laughed at it as I picked it up, it's a disgrace.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 06:47 PM   #46
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Got a CF strut, aluminium brace, reinforcement rings and screws off a wrecked M4 on eBay for £360 that's a record low though.

Funny today I put the stock steel brace into storage and laughed at it as I picked it up, it's a disgrace.
Wow! I paid more than that for the CF part alone! Lucky you.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 12:43 AM   #47
KristianS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Mineral Grey

Thanks for all the replies.
Is there a ‘how to’ anywhere on the M2C/ M3/ M4 strut assembly install? Do you need to do much modifying?
Cheers
Kris
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 12:53 AM   #48
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristianS View Post
Thanks for all the replies.
Is there a ‘how to’ anywhere on the M2C/ M3/ M4 strut assembly install? Do you need to do much modifying?
Cheers
Kris
There is an entire thread on it in the Suspension sub-forum.

You don't need to do any modifying because you can replace everything with OEM parts. If you want to scrimp on parts it is possible to modify some of the OG trim pieces to get them to fit around the brace, but it's not an elegant solution.

Everything you need to know is in the Suspension sub-forum thread, including a full parts list for the OG M2 with all bolts, torque settings etc.

CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 03:29 PM   #49
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

I scrimped! Garage cut my parts. Doesnt bother me but it might some. Even with what I paid and scrimping it was basically a grand all in to get parts and install.

As before though highly recommended and no doubt fooled the journos into thinking the suspension tuning had been changed. You can certainly feel the front suspension actually working now.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 01:53 AM   #50
KristianS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Mineral Grey

Thanks chaps, will check this out!
I guess no one has done a comparison between this and just a strut brace. And, I presume BMW would have just used a strut brace if they thought that was the answer!
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 06:43 PM   #51
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

For the record - about the M2C suspension:
  • physically the suspension of the M2, M2 LCI and M2 Competition is identical; BMW M did experiment with spring and damper rates, but in the end decided to keep the set-up of the M2 / M2 LCI;
  • software of the control electronics was recalibrated; especially fine-tuning of steering software in order to decrease the level of roll under turn-in.
Explanation for the difference in feeling M2 versus M2C:
  • increased weight of the M2C front end (S55 engine + cooling peripherals) (total weight difference between M2 and M2C is 55 kg (complete car));
  • CF strut brace inside the M2C (bulkhead strut & CFRP strut);
  • recalibrated steering software.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
Slipped up and found this... interesting!
(https://carbuzz.com/cars/bmw/m2)

“The M2 Competition tilts the focus more towards race track performance so we have increased the amount of content from the M3/M4 models,” explained Dirk Häcker, BMW M’s VP of Engineering. Given that the bodyshell and front and rear inner structure was already modified to accept the M3/M4 suspension and wide rubber no further work was required here apart from stiffening the front end.
“Since the track is identical to the M3/M4 carbon-fiber engine compartment brace bolted straight in. This significantly reduces torsional flex in the engine compartment ‘box’ and keeps the front suspension geometry closer to spec under load,” he said. “We experimented with variations of the M2 spring and damper rates but found that with the improved front-end stiffness the original settings were ideal,” explained Peter Schmid, Project Manager for Driving Dynamics. “This is the first time ever in my career that this has happened, and all we needed, in the end, was some software recalibration of the control electronics.”

Well.. that should settle it. We can all go look at the photos section now, as this debate will surely end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
Oh, more interesting information here...
(https://drivetribe.com/p/the-bmw-m2-...Q8i12t-CD2dViQ)

On the subject of weight balance, the M2C’s balance between the front and rear has shifted slightly to the front. The main reason is of course the engine, but this is not the complete story when it comes to the subject of handling. To explain the true story of what was changed, I sat down with the chief engineer of BMW M at Ascari to run down the list of mechanical changes to the setup of the car allowing us to analyze the sheer brilliance of its new handling characteristics.

First of all, the Germans added a series of parts to the car but didn’t touch the spring rates or the suspension struts. With regards to the suspension hardware nothing was changed. A new front strut brace (combination of a bulkhead strut & CFRP strut) from the M3/M4 allows for a much improved stiffness, a noticeable more precise turn-in and better balance at high speed. The front has a tendency of communicating its lower amount of understeer better to the driver allowing yourself to minimize it where you can. The rear bushings for the suspension mounting points keep the rear better in line with the direction of the front.

In order to ensure extremely precise wheel location, play-free ball joints are used to transmit transverse forces, similarly to the base M2. The longitudinal forces passing through the chassis are transmitted into the torque struts directly via special elastomer bearings, which simultaneously deliver the desired rolling comfort. A noticeable difference is the decreased level of roll under turn-in, one of the M2’s noticeable flaws. According to the chief engineer, the steering software was finetuned to allow for a more precise turn-in using less lock on the steering wheel and therefore producing less roll.

Sheer brilliance of the M2 Competition is encompassed by another software change. The Germans tuned the MDM and oh good lord they have done a super job, it is the tasteful cherry on the chubby cake. Based on the M3/M4 CS MDM software, the engineers have developed a set up that allows you to lean on the traction of the rears and your steering lock in an immensely smooth, safe and non-intrusive way. The more open nature of the available playing room at the rear remembered me of the times I drove a E46 M3 (My M benchmark) aggressively. It is so lovely balanced and offers so much more sideslip that it becomes a challenging and playful game between you as a driver and the MDM who will win. In the end, it is an addictive game with the M2C in Sport Plus trying to lure you in with a rewarding present you cannot refuse, while you also know it will tell you “until here and no further” when you become too greedy.

The ability to lean on this open window within its suspension set up and not on its available powerband is what I want to see in a M car. I don’t need tons of horsepower, I need sheer brilliance through my hands on the wheel and my butt in the seat, and that is exactly what this car is able to do. The level in which it puts a M smile on your face and lets you scream of joy behind the wheel is an experience I do not often have any more behind the wheel of a car. Subsequently, it also lets you completely forget the worries about its chubbiness.
Let's compare the press materials of the M2 and M2C (see the manuals sticky here (M2) and here (M2C)):

Press materials M2 (2015):
"Lightweight design and precise wheel location.
The basic requirement for top-level driving dynamics is a high level of rigidity and a low axle system weight. That’s why the BMW M GmbH engineers have referred back to the lightweight aluminium front and rear axles of the BMW M3/M4 models for the new BMW M2 Coupe. For example, just the control arms, wheel carriers, axle subframes and stiffening plate of the double-joint spring-strut front axle weigh five kilograms less than would be the case with a conventional steel construction. Further weight savings are provided by the aluminium suspension struts and tubular anti-roll bar.
In order to ensure extremely precise wheel location, play-free ball joints are used to transmit transverse forces. The stiffening plate and additional bolted connection between the axle subframe and the body sills, which increases the stiffness of the front-end structure, also has a positive influence here. The longitudinal forces passing through the suspension are transmitted into the torque struts directly via special elastomer bearings, and this delivers the desired rolling comfort at the same time.
All the control arms and wheel carriers of the new BMW M2’s five-link rear axle are made from forged aluminium, which reduces the unsprung masses of the wheel-locating components by around three kilograms compared to a steel construction. In addition, a racing-derived rigid connection, dispensing with rubber bushings, is used to fix the lightweight steel grid-type rear axle subframe to the body. This further improves wheel location and tracking stability. The axle kinematics – which govern the movement of the wheels under compression according to the arrangement of the control arms – are likewise tuned to deliver the precise wheel location familiar from M cars.
[...]
- Suspension, front: Aluminium double-joint spring strut axle in lightweight construction with M-specific elastokinematics
- Suspension, rear: Aluminium five-link axle in lightweight construction with M-specific elastokinematics"
Press materials M2 Competition (2018):
"Increased front-end rigidity for greater steering precision.
The engine compartment conceals the most striking component: the CFRP high-precision strut from the BMW M3/M4. This one-piece component is made from extremely light, yet high-strength, carbon fibre and weighs in at just 1.5 kg. Together with the bulkhead strut from the M4, it significantly increases front section rigidity to improve steering behaviour and precision.
The high-performance chassis refers back to the lightweight aluminium construction of the front and rear axles from the BMW M3/M4. In order to ensure extremely precise wheel location, play-free ball joints are used to transmit transverse forces. The longitudinal forces passing through the chassis are transmitted into the torque struts directly via special elastomer bearings, which simultaneously delivers the desired rolling comfort. All the control arms and wheel carriers of the new five-link rear axle are made from forged aluminium. In addition, a racing-derived rigid connection, dispensing with rubber bushings, is used to fix the lightweight steel grid-type rear axle subframe to the body. This further improves wheel location and tracking stability.
BMW M engineers have adjusted the characteristic curves of the electromechanical power steering to improve performance and increase front section rigidity. The integrated Servotronic function with M-specific characteristics controls the level of steering assistance electronically according to the car’s speed and the settings made with Drivelogic, which allow drivers to adjust power steering assistance at any time to their personal preferences.
[...]
- Suspension, front: Lightweight aluminium double-joint tiebar spring strut axle with M-specific elastokinematics
- Suspension, rear: Lightweight aluminium five-link axle with M-specific elastokinematics"
FWIW, here's what former BMW M boss Frank van Meel said about the M2C suspension in an interview (published last April) with forum fellow MR. (source: here and here):
"MR: In what way did you listen to the existing customer base and included their remarks in this new car?
FvM: We have most definitely taken notice of what the current customer base and community has shared with us. We looked at where we could improve the package for the M2 Competition. The main change following comments was adding the M mirrors. The majority of the customers wondered why they were missing on the base M2 Coupé and therefore we added them. They are the same mirrors used on the M3 and M4 models. Other changes such as the new M Sports seats, M sports brake kit and the tweaked suspension will also be greatly appreciated by the customer base. Especially those would like to have that additional performance, a key asset of the Competition range.
MR: How did you separate the M2 Competition from the base M4 and made sure the price tag did not increase too much?
FvM: Interesting question. Pricing will be revealed mid-May so I cannot comment on the exact price levels of the M2 Competition yet, but I can ensure you that we looked thoroughly into positioning the vehicle between the outgoing M2 LCI and the base M4. This is the main reason why we didn’t add a carbon fiber roof, adaptive suspension or ceramic brakes to the M2 Competition. We really wanted to make sure that the M2 differentiates itself from its bigger brother both on specification level and price tag. The base price will not increase drastically!"
BMW M head of development Dirk Häcker mentioned "changed spring and damper tuning" and that chassis revisions provide the M2C with "significantly improved response and more progressive on-the-limit characteristics" than the original M2 (Autocar UK magazine article published last Spring: see here):

FIDDIE12.00
      04-14-2020, 08:39 AM   #52
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
For the record - about the M2C suspension:
So the conclusion is nothing changed except the brace and the EPS, DSC, and differential software, yes?

If they tweaked any rates it would be a rev to the existing part number. The statement about steering software change is accurate I'm sure, but it seems physically impossible for it to reduce body roll.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 01:13 PM   #53
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Having both (me M2C and my bro OG M2), I can say that the difference in EPS and DSC sw is very noticeable, the steer feedback is more natural, the MDM mode allows more slip and the car is more confident and controllable on power slidings. Hard to say how much difference make the strut brace and the big brakes since he doesn't allow me to push his car
Appreciate 1
CSBM52716.50
      04-15-2020, 03:11 AM   #54
aerobat
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RS4_ View Post
Having both (me M2C and my bro OG M2), I can say that the difference in EPS and DSC sw is very noticeable, the steer feedback is more natural, the MDM mode allows more slip and the car is more confident and controllable on power slidings. Hard to say how much difference make the strut brace and the big brakes since he doesn't allow me to push his car
It is possible to reconfigure OG M2 to M2c in this respect with the Thor software. Very simple and you can decide for your self what is the difference.
On the same car, nothing else changed.
Previous: BMW M2 DCT M Performance Suspension/Stage2, Porsche 993 Carrera 2S, Porsche 993 Carrera 2, Porsche 964 Carrera 2 Cab,Mazda RX8, Porsche 930 Turbo, BMW M3 E36, BMW M3 E30, BMW M5 E34, BMW 325iM Coupe
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 07:36 AM   #55
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RS4_ View Post
It is possible to reconfigure OG M2 to M2c in this respect with the Thor software. Very simple and you can decide for your self what is the difference.
On the same car, nothing else changed.
Agreed but with latest istep on my 1gen m2 there's no discernible difference EPS feel/response compared to Thor M2Comp EPS reflash.

Hence, I've used Thor to flash Comp MDM and GTS MDiff settings only. All good 👍

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 09:31 PM   #56
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Agreed but with latest istep on my 1gen m2 there's no discernible difference EPS feel/response compared to Thor M2Comp EPS reflash.

Hence, I've used Thor to flash Comp MDM and GTS MDiff settings only. All good ��
It's possible the M2C steering changes made it into the standard M2 firmware in the latest updates. People thought the M3/M4 ZCP had the power delivery changes, but it seems like it's all M3/M4s past a certain software revision.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 11:22 AM   #57
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
It's possible the M2C steering changes made it into the standard M2 firmware in the latest updates. People thought the M3/M4 ZCP had the power delivery changes, but it seems like it's all M3/M4s past a certain software revision.
It did. I updated my I-Step a few months to add support for full screen CarPlay. After doing that there were new options for EPS and DSC.

The DSC option for F87GTS was the most beneficial in my opinion. I was running Euro F82GTS before, and while great most of the time, it had a tendency to cut power on tight turns way too early, even in MDM mode. The Euro F87GTS option solves that whilst still allowing quite a bit of sideways action in MDM mode.

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 11:35 AM   #58
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
It did. I updated my I-Step a few months to add support for full screen CarPlay. After doing that there were new options for EPS and DSC.

The DSC option for F87GTS was the most beneficial in my opinion. I was running Euro F82GTS before, and while great most of the time, it had a tendency to cut power on tight turns way too early, even in MDM mode. The Euro F87GTS option solves that whilst still allowing quite a bit of sideways action in MDM mode.
Did you do it at the dealer ? Did they charge you ? Also would you say F87gts is more or less permissive than F82gts at the limit ?

thx
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 12:11 PM   #59
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
Did you do it at the dealer ? Did they charge you ? Also would you say F87gts is more or less permissive than F82gts at the limit ?

thx
I did it myself at home with E-Sys and a large server PSU configured to output a stable 13.8v at up to 47 Amps. It took about 90 minutes if I remember correctly, but wasn't particularly difficult.

I think I either started or contributed to a thread about the process at the time.

The F87GTS setting feels pretty much identical to the F82GTS one, but without the negative side effects. The F82GTS is pretty great, but it bothered me a lot by kicking in really early when going round those spiral on or off ramps from a freeway, the F87GTS setting doesn't do that.

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 09:07 AM   #60
KevM3UK
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

And dont forget the comp has thicker anti roll bars too!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 09:24 AM   #61
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM3UK View Post
Huh ??
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 09:58 AM   #62
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Err... No, 31352284762 is the part number for the front; same part for the M2, M2C and M4 Convertible.

33557853266 is the part number for the rear; same part for the M2, M2C, M3 and M4.
Appreciate 2
M Fifty844.00
AndrewC198910910.50
      04-17-2020, 06:18 PM   #63
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

M2C has 'competition' badge on the back, redistributed weight helps.
Appreciate 6
chris7197331.50
D22M21372.50
gsrbri559.50
AndrewC198910910.50
      04-18-2020, 02:17 AM   #64
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Trollin' or bullsh1ttin' ?

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 11:48 AM   #65
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
I guess you meant the new front strut brace (combination of a bulkhead strut & CFRP strut).
      04-18-2020, 12:36 PM   #66
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Have you not heard that it has 'rose bushes' fitted to both ends? The front has a climbing rose to improve cornering, while the rear has a bush rose to improve traction...

Last edited by M Fifty; 04-19-2020 at 03:32 AM.. Reason: spelling it 'it' and 'has'
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1774.00