BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M2C suspension: better than the one of the OG M2?

01-20-2019, 05:45 PM   #23
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Rear subframe and rear diff mount is common part no for OGm2 and m2 Comp so doubt that's the reason why m2c feels more tied down that OGm2.
Except not when the OG M2 was in production. From now on, they are only producing the M2C part numbers, so any replacement parts sold for the OG M2 will receive the updated P/N instead (i.e. notice how the change over was the month the OG M2 was no longer in production).
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 06:18 PM   #24
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

150 extra pounds will also make the M2C feel different.
VisualEcho6629.00
      01-20-2019, 06:22 PM   #25
Inuyasha
“One finds limits by pushing them”
Rep
Drives: M2C

Let me tell you, there is definitely a difference in ride quality between the 2 cars over bumps. The M2C is much improved, the ride more comfortable and composed. I noticed this the first time I saw a bump coming, cringing for it with one eye closed, hitting it, then opening my eyes like, "thats all!?" Something has indeed changed!

I can see why others say its less jumpy, because to me the shocks go over bumps in a much more controlled manner. The damping could have been changed, whether it be rebound/compression, fluid weight, or spring rate... its a pleasent and welcome surprise, especially living in NYC (Pothole haven).

The OG M2 was jarring over single bumps, like the whole car would bounce up, "thump, thump" and it was really bad over ripples of bumps, "boing boing boing" especially at speed. The M2C will soak up the same bumps, less cabin noise and movement... I kid you not, there is a difference, and whatever it is, it's a welcome change. I was on the verge of upgrading the suspension for a softer ride, now I won't have to, its that much of a change to me.

Rejoice all!
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8709.00
      01-20-2019, 06:30 PM   #26
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuyasha View Post
Let me tell you, there is definitely a difference in ride quality between the 2 cars over bumps. The M2C is much improved, the ride more comfortable and composed. I noticed this the first time I saw a bump coming, cringing for it with one eye closed, hitting it, then opening my eyes like, "thats all!?" Something has indeed changed!

I can see why others say its less jumpy, because to me the shocks go over bumps in a much more controlled manner. The damping could have been changed, whether it be rebound/compression, fluid weight, or spring rate... its a pleasent and welcome surprise, especially living in NYC (Pothole haven).

The OG M2 was jarring over single bumps, like the whole car would bounce up, "thump, thump" and it was really bad over ripples of bumps, "boing boing boing" especially at speed. The M2C will soak up the same bumps, less cabin noise and movement... I kid you not, there is a difference, and whatever it is, it's a welcome change. I was on the verge of upgrading the suspension for a softer ride, now I won't have to, its that much of a change to me.

Rejoice all!
My 2018 LCI does not feel like this at all. It's firm but controlled. Sounds like you are describing an EVO or something.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 06:55 PM   #27
Inuyasha
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
My 2018 LCI does not feel like this at all. It's firm but controlled. Sounds like you are describing an EVO or something.
I know what you're talking about... like driving a civic with straight rate springs or something... M2 is not that bad, and for those of you who are looking to buy a used M2, and if you live in a city with smooth roads/moderate bumps, no worries, its really good. I'm just happier cause the M2C doesn't jam my back as much.

I could of not complained with my M2, if I lived in NJ, CT, or FL, no real issues cause those roads are much better... but NYC sucks monkey's balls for roads. I have to drive upstate for a smooth cruise (bear mountain). Now, I almost don't mind driving around the city' bumpy streets.

Some say the difference of ride quality is weight based... which I kinda doubt because with passengers in the OG, it felt the same. If you say, it depends on where the weight is, lets say the wheels maybe? Then I am not changing to lighter wheels in case it ruins this plusher ride over these mean streets
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 07:49 PM   #28
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Found the OG to have some rear chatter over road imperfections like frost heaves. Swapped out OEM suspension with a set of Ohlins R&T and retro fitted the F80 aluminum/carbon fiber strut brace combo...problem solved. Point and shoot now.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 10:13 PM   #29
aWanderlustSeoul
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition HS

I agree that I also feel that the ride quality is better in the M2C or it's completely in my head and placebo.

Before I purchased the M2C, I test drove a couple of 2018 M2 LCIs at a local dealer. For me the ride quality was less comfortable and more bouncy anytime I drove on imperfect roads and went over potholes. The client advisor was riding in the passenger side so the extra weight did not seem to be factor.

I never got to test drive the M2C before I bought mine but I assumed it was going to be more stiff/harsh but surprisingly it seems more comfortable. I drove my M2C over the same local route as I did when I did the dealer M2 test drives and overall seemed better.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 10:20 PM   #30
windnsea00
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuyasha View Post

Rejoice all!
I agree with this exactly, especially hitting a pothole. I am not sure if the M2C uses the dual disc clutch from the M3 but I like how it engages, the engine is more rev happy and way more responsive. They tuned the boost to not hit so hard down low like my past 2015 M3, it actually reminds me of a S54 how it winds out, a boosted one that is.
      01-21-2019, 04:15 PM   #31
Io
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI DCT LBB

Thanks to all for your answers. So it's seems that BMW did a good work on improving the suspension of the car, which was the weakest point of the OG M2. And that no one really knows what this work was
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 05:11 PM   #32
quenotte
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: F87N M2 Competition

You plan to sell your M2B for a M2C?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 05:16 PM   #33
twboy1999
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 honda accord

had 2016 and now a m2c

feel pretty much the same except the turn in

the suspension feels great for a stock car.
      01-22-2019, 07:01 AM   #34
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Didn’t BMW replace the rubber bushings in one of the trailing arms/links in the rear with the equivalent of spherical bushings? This change would be enough to “calm” the rear end over bad roads by providing more articulation. And we all know that a change in the rear suspension greatly impacts the entire behavior.
Appreciate 1
Saanen180.50
      01-22-2019, 05:48 PM   #35
Inuyasha
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
Didn’t BMW replace the rubber bushings in one of the trailing arms/links in the rear with the equivalent of spherical bushings? This change would be enough to “calm” the rear end over bad roads by providing more articulation. And we all know that a change in the rear suspension greatly impacts the entire behavior.
Someone with an OG M2 swap out the parts to give it a test? Dosent sound too pricey?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 02:29 AM   #36
KristianS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Mineral Grey

M2C rose joints

Hi all,
Been a while since I've been on the forum. Has anyone fitted the rear M2C rose jointed arms to their OGM2? Seems about the only thing they did to the rear suspension that differs from the OG car. Should be a simple retrofit?
Thanks
Kris
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 07:44 AM   #37
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

I thought that the rose joints were debunked in the end?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 11:33 AM   #38
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristianS View Post
Hi all,
Been a while since I've been on the forum. Has anyone fitted the rear M2C rose jointed arms to their OGM2? Seems about the only thing they did to the rear suspension that differs from the OG car. Should be a simple retrofit?
Thanks
Kris
That didn't actually happen. The M2 and the M2C share the exact same suspension components - they have the same part#'s on realoem.com

edit - here's the links from last time I posted this

OG M2

M2C

Last edited by CTSean; 03-15-2020 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 02:54 PM   #39
KristianS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Mineral Grey

Ah ok! Just the front strut brace and steering software that’s different then? Funny how all the magazines (in UK anyway) reported the rose jointed suspension!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 09:23 AM   #40
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

I thought there was more bracing beyond the carbon strut in the front end. Lending to the "better" feel of the 2c.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 09:49 AM   #41
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
I thought there was more bracing beyond the carbon strut in the front end. Lending to the "better" feel of the 2c.
Sort of - CFRP brace mounts to a far more robust alloy brace (used on M2c/M3/M4) instead of 2 simpler strut bars between top mounts and firewall of OGM2 (and lesser F2x and F3x models). I have both braces fitted to my car and ran with just alloy brace for awhile and it alone does help front end responsiveness compared to standard.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 2
qnet679.00
      03-16-2020, 08:46 PM   #42
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Quote:
Sort of - CFRP brace mounts to a far more robust alloy brace (used on M2c/M3/M4) instead of 2 simpler strut bars between top mounts and firewall of OGM2 9and lesser F2x and F3x models). I have both braces fitted to my car and ran with just alloy brace for awhile and it alone does help front end responsiveness compared to standard.
Agreed. It always looked like that back brace was doing most of the job and the carbon one, while maybe still effective; is there for mostly looks.

I wonder if there is just a regular aftermarket brace, for the OG M2; that mounts directly to the strut towers like other cars. That will be my next search
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 01:56 AM   #43
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Sort of - CFRP brace mounts to a far more robust alloy brace (used on M2c/M3/M4) instead of 2 simpler strut bars between top mounts and firewall of OGM2 9and lesser F2x and F3x models). I have both braces fitted to my car and ran with just alloy brace for awhile and it alone does help front end responsiveness compared to standard.
Agreed. It always looked like that back brace was doing most of the job and the carbon one, while maybe still effective; is there for mostly looks.

I wonder if there is just a regular aftermarket brace, for the OG M2; that mounts directly to the strut towers like other cars. That will be my next search
There are plenty of aftermarket options for m2 that mount between both strut tops over the engine cover.

Anything that fits a 5 bolt M235i/M240i will fit an OGM2.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 10:37 PM   #44
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
There are plenty of aftermarket options for m2 that mount between both strut tops over the engine cover.

Anything that fits a 5 bolt M235i/M240i will fit an OGM2.
Whilst that's true, the M2C / M3 / M4 aluminium part bolts to the strut tops, the bulkhead and the fenders, which is more than most aftermarket options might.

I have just finished doing the install of that myself, and the difference is pretty huge. I can now feel things through the steering that I couldn't before, and the ride is massively improved.

The parts for the aluminium section alone aren't that bad... about ~$200 for the main brace, about about $100 in fixings that need to be replaced rather than reused. The most expensive part is the strut top hats. You might be able to get these used, but they're a bearing, and I opted to buy new. That runs to about $300 for the pair, so maybe $600 ~ $700 all in.

The CFRP part is more expensive, but can also be found used if you're patient. It is held on with 6 bolts, so easy to add once you find one.

One thing that does add to the cost, is if you want to buy all of the trim pieces to tidy up the install. You'll need to replace the plastic side covers on the bulkhead, the plastic side strips that go on the top of the fenders (wings), the rubber covers over the strut tops and the plastic at the base of the windshield. There's probably about $300 in parts there alone, but you could modify the stock parts to get them to fit partially. These parts can also be found on the used market, but they're a bit harder to find because each part isn't that expensive on its own.

A wrecked M3 / M4 would allow you to take most of the parts off in one go, and you'd probably get a deal if you could find one.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1760.50