BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Wireless Charging - Max Phone Size?

09-14-2018, 02:38 PM   #23
articulatedsphinx
meow
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Ugh, mine will have wireless charging but I have a wallet case and a metal card. Maybe I'll try it with the cable for a while until I get annoyed.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #24
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I've had an 8 and. 7Plus so I know :-

7/8 regular
FITS

7/8 Plus
DOES NOR FIT

Estimating then:-

XR
I would hope fits even with a case?
Is it the same as last years X can people confirm please?
      09-14-2018, 05:21 PM   #25
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Okay, guys, I did the mod today. Good news and bad news.

Good news: I was able to follow each of our hero's SteveC90's instructions step by step and was able to remove the bottom bracket successfully! So, now, my coming iPhone XS Max Super Ultra Monster phone will fit in the cradle

Bad news: Unfortunately, I think I pulled too hard on the cables at some point during the process and something must have come loose... because now the inductive charging simply no longer works

So... you know... you take the good with the bad.

To make some lemonade out of the lemons: I've put in a short USB cable into the armrest, the phone will charge faster with USB, and now there's a nice, secure cradle in which to hold my phone when driving.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #26
SteveC90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW m2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
Okay, guys, I did the mod today. Good news and bad news.

Good news: I was able to follow each of our hero's SteveC90's instructions step by step and was able to remove the bottom bracket successfully! So, now, my coming iPhone XS Max Super Ultra Monster phone will fit in the cradle

Bad news: Unfortunately, I think I pulled too hard on the cables at some point during the process and something must have come loose... because now the inductive charging simply no longer works

So... you know... you take the good with the bad.

To make some lemonade out of the lemons: I've put in a short USB cable into the armrest, the phone will charge faster with USB, and now there's a nice, secure cradle in which to hold my phone when driving.

☹ That's a bummer. You could check that the power connection didn't come loose by removing the rear air vents behind the armrest.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 08:06 PM   #27
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC90 View Post
☹ That's a bummer. You could check that the power connection didn't come loose by removing the rear air vents behind the armrest.
Ha, ha! I'd do that, which would result in some other line coming loose, and pretty soon, attempted fix after attempted fix would end up with me trying to replace my engine!

No, honestly, I really don't mind that much at all. I just wanted a spot I could put my gigantic phone, while charging, without it slip sliding around. And I couldn't put it in the cradle because of that damn bottom bracket. My main goal was simply to remove that bottom bracket, so mission accomplished. Cherry on top would have been if the inductive charging unit still worked. But, that's a "nice to have" not a "must have" for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 10:52 PM   #28
SteveC90
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW m2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Ha, ha! I'd do that, which would result in some other line coming loose, and pretty soon, attempted fix after attempted fix would end up with me trying to replace my engine!

No, honestly, I really don't mind that much at all. I just wanted a spot I could put my gigantic phone, while charging, without it slip sliding around. And I couldn't put it in the cradle because of that damn bottom bracket. My main goal was simply to remove that bottom bracket, so mission accomplished. Cherry on top would have been if the inductive charging unit still worked. But, that's a "nice to have" not a "must have" for me.
Oh did you just remove the lower bracket without adding another bracket? If you just removed the bracket, then the inductive charger will not power on since it needs the lower bracket to be pulled back to activate it. Weird how it works that way. Just FYI
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 12:30 AM   #29
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh did you just remove the lower bracket without adding another bracket? If you just removed the bracket, then the inductive charger will not power on since it needs the lower bracket to be pulled back to activate it. Weird how it works that way. Just FYI
Oh! Man, you really are a savior!

Yeah, I just removed the lower bracket without adding another. I don't have a 3D printer, so not sure how I'm going to make myself another one. Any suggestions?

By the way, I owe you some scotch, man!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 06:06 PM   #30
mdrury
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Admittedly I've only got an iPhone 7 plus to hand at the moment but, encouraged by you guys' exploration of the topic so far I want to try another tack or two:

1.What if we looked at trimming the rubber inserts at the forward hook as well as within the rear bar that also activates charging? Anyone tried this so far?

2. In my MY2017, the sliding bar does not appear to reach the end of its rearmost travel and so maybe there's some "relief" we could apply there?

I just want to get any available intel before I try performing the surgery myself....
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 01:30 PM   #31
articulatedsphinx
meow
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Question about the wireless charging location in the M2C... the Spec guide I have says it's "smartphone holder at the front, in front of the cupholders" but from what I'm seeing in some posts that doesn't seem to be the case and it appears to be in the centre console?

This is the Australian spec sheet.

Could someone clarify?

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #32
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by articulatedsphinx View Post
Question about the wireless charging location in the M2C... the Spec guide I have says it's "smartphone holder at the front, in front of the cupholders" but from what I'm seeing in some posts that doesn't seem to be the case and it appears to be in the centre console?

This is the Australian spec sheet.

Could someone clarify?

This is interesting, if true that's a shift if the wireless charge to that location ... and the end of size issues with the slider!
      09-21-2018, 06:14 PM   #33
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
This is interesting, if true that's a shift if the wireless charge to that location ... and the end of size issues with the slider!
Unfortunately, the size issue remains in the M2C.

1. There's a small space in front of the cup holders that would could fit a tiny iPhone 4. You can plug in your 2012 iPhone 4 via USB in that spot.

2. The main inductive charging spot is in the armrest area. And that bottom slider is still the issue.

As stated earlier in the thread, the only way to get extra room is to perform surgery as per SteveC90's instructions.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 05:37 PM   #34
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
hi cptobvious. I got your message and am happy to share how I removed the charger cradle and disassembled it to remove the bottom bracket. All you really need is a pry tool and a T6 screwdriver.

1) Use the pry tool to lift the charging cradle from the front. Once the front is lifted, you can simple lift the entire cradle out of the armrest.
2) There are four clips (2 on each side) holding the bottom to the charger. I just used a flat head screwdriver to pop them out and then remove the charger.
3) Now the trickiest part, disassembling the charger. For this, I stuck a blade (pry tool was a bit thick) in the open space where the bracket moves and pushed down to separate the top and bottom halves.
4) Now you have access to the two t6 screws that hold the bottom bracket in place.

Below are pictures I just took of the step by step process. Let me know if I can be of more help.

BTW, with this mod i can fit my massive Note 9 on here.

Gentlemen (and I use the term loosely), SteveC90 is a frickin' genius!

I followed his original instructions for removing the cradle and removing the bottom bracket, which worked wonderfully. But, then, the inductive charging no longer worked, as apparently, you need a bottom bracket to get the slider to slide, which then activates the charging.

This is where the man, the myth, the legend, Mr. SteveC90 stepped in and saved my butt. I didn't have a 3D printer or anything like that, he actually sent me one fo the bottom brackets he designed, and voila!

Inductive charging is now working on my iPhone XS Max.

In the meantime, I am sending Mr. SteveC90 a bottle of Japanese whiskey as a small token of my appreciation!

Anyway, it works, if you're wiling to perform some minor surgery on your new baby.
Appreciate 7
Davil6333.50
CSBM52695.50
nomoracin758.00
fullstack337.50
      09-22-2018, 07:07 PM   #35
SteveC90
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW m2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
hi cptobvious. I got your message and am happy to share how I removed the charger cradle and disassembled it to remove the bottom bracket. All you really need is a pry tool and a T6 screwdriver.

1) Use the pry tool to lift the charging cradle from the front. Once the front is lifted, you can simple lift the entire cradle out of the armrest.
2) There are four clips (2 on each side) holding the bottom to the charger. I just used a flat head screwdriver to pop them out and then remove the charger.
3) Now the trickiest part, disassembling the charger. For this, I stuck a blade (pry tool was a bit thick) in the open space where the bracket moves and pushed down to separate the top and bottom halves.
4) Now you have access to the two t6 screws that hold the bottom bracket in place.

Below are pictures I just took of the step by step process. Let me know if I can be of more help.

BTW, with this mod i can fit my massive Note 9 on here.

Gentlemen (and I use the term loosely), SteveC90 is a frickin' genius!

I followed his original instructions for removing the cradle and removing the bottom bracket, which worked wonderfully. But, then, the inductive charging no longer worked, as apparently, you need a bottom bracket to get the slider to slide, which then activates the charging.

This is where the man, the myth, the legend, Mr. SteveC90 stepped in and saved my butt. I didn't have a 3D printer or anything like that, he actually sent me one fo the bottom brackets he designed, and voila!

Inductive charging is now working on my iPhone XS Max.

In the meantime, I am sending Mr. SteveC90 a bottle of Japanese whiskey as a small token of my appreciation!

Anyway, it works, if you're wiling to perform some minor surgery on your new baby.
Fantastic! Glad that someone was able to benefit from my modification. Always happy to be of assistance. (Looking forward to trying out that Japanese Whiskey)
Appreciate 6
      09-28-2018, 03:15 AM   #36
drrawle
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Fantastic! Glad that someone was able to benefit from my modification. Always happy to be of assistance. (Looking forward to trying out that Japanese Whiskey)

SteveC90 maybe you should come up with a price for these so you can send them out? I will be desperate for one once I pick up my M4 this afternoon as I have an XS Max
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 01:00 PM   #37
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Wondering if anyone has had heat issues while charging their phone in the center console? My iphone xs gets extremely hot (to the point where the cpu is so throttled the phone is nearly unresponsive). When I take it out, I can't hold it for too long without burning myself.

To be fair, I've only tried it once so far - I recently installed carplay and no longer need my external phone cradle for google maps.

EDIT:

My solution in the meantime is to simply keep the phone in my pocket, which is pretty convenient.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 01:17 PM   #38
SteveC90
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW m2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrawle View Post
SteveC90 maybe you should come up with a price for these so you can send them out? I will be desperate for one once I pick up my M4 this afternoon as I have an XS Max
I will gladly print some and ship them out for those who want it. If anyone is interested, please PM me.

PS - Hope you are enjoying your M4!

EDIT: No longer shipping this part myself. Instead you can purchase it at this link: https://www.shapeways.com/product/XY...ionId=70892401

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by SteveC90; 10-25-2018 at 12:25 AM..
Appreciate 4
cptobvious2531.50
HOT M80.50
mezzyk0.00
      10-01-2018, 06:17 PM   #39
SD08
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 comp

can anyone 3d print one and send it to me?
trying to fit my XS MAX

Paypal and venmo available
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 06:58 PM   #40
SteveC90
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW m2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD08 View Post
can anyone 3d print one and send it to me?
trying to fit my XS MAX

Paypal and venmo available
I can send you one. PM me.
Appreciate 1
rocke29105.50
      10-10-2018, 03:23 PM   #41
rocke29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 M/T

I have a Note 9 arriving Friday, 10/12 and would love to have wireless charging. SteveC90 - do you have pics of your Note 9 in the car?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #42
SteveC90
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW m2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocke29 View Post
I have a Note 9 arriving Friday, 10/12 and would love to have wireless charging. SteveC90 - do you have pics of your Note 9 in the car?

Thanks in advance.
Here it is with a Spigen case:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
TProfit81.50
      10-13-2018, 02:33 PM   #43
Protatomonster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Kia Stinger 2018

Will an iPhone X with a case fit?