BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Underwhelmed M2C

06-02-2020, 01:33 PM   #45
ROBM2C
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C , DATSUN 260z, Porche

@ed1118

Did you drive the car with all the nannies off ?

Last edited by ROBM2C; 06-03-2020 at 07:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 03:12 PM   #46
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBM2C View Post
Did you drive the car with all the nannies off ?
That's a great way to wreck it.
ried791.50
devo755.00
Germanauto9698.00
      06-03-2020, 11:52 AM   #47
Picoschu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 03 E39 M5, 01 325iT, 17 328dxT

Personally I think you will only get that "Wow" factor on the track.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 02:24 PM   #48
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Not sure of the type of drive you had and how much of an opportunity you had to push the car, but when I test drove mine I was underwhelmed too. Moving her around on roads with traffic and stop and go, yielded nothing but second thoughts like "Is this what I just put a deposit down for?" I think you have to truly spend time with the car to understand its capabilities and limits. I think most M2 owners will agree, that the M2 begs to be pushed hard and and driven hard, and thats where you achieve maximum enjoyment. I've got almost 3000 miles and I still learning and getting to enjoy this car every day.

I also think there is so much more character and personality in an M car that you dont find in the regular BMW lineup, despite what the numbers say on paper. The M car is an experience.
This is the "it" factor in my eyes that makes a car special. It's just a feeling that you know when you've find it.
Appreciate 1
tranck500.50
      06-03-2020, 02:40 PM   #49
stulio2181
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Not sure of the type of drive you had and how much of an opportunity you had to push the car, but when I test drove mine I was underwhelmed too. Moving her around on roads with traffic and stop and go, yielded nothing but second thoughts like "Is this what I just put a deposit down for?" I think you have to truly spend time with the car to understand its capabilities and limits. I think most M2 owners will agree, that the M2 begs to be pushed hard and and driven hard, and thats where you achieve maximum enjoyment. I've got almost 3000 miles and I still learning and getting to enjoy this car every day.

I also think there is so much more character and personality in an M car that you dont find in the regular BMW lineup, despite what the numbers say on paper. The M car is an experience.
This is the "it" factor in my eyes that makes a car special. It's just a feeling that you know when you've find it.
Couldn't agree more. It's tough to get a feel for this car in a test drive. Once I got enough miles behind my '18 and learned to push the limits, the light bulb went off. Then I did a track day instruction, all nannies off, and holy shit. Such a well balanced and fun ride.
Appreciate 1
tranck500.50
      06-03-2020, 03:22 PM   #50
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stulio2181 View Post
Couldn't agree more. It's tough to get a feel for this car in a test drive. Once I got enough miles behind my '18 and learned to push the limits, the light bulb went off. Then I did a track day instruction, all nannies off, and holy shit. Such a well balanced and fun ride.
I kindly disagree. I knew right away that my 18 was special. Didn’t hurt that the dealer let me have a 38 mile test drive. It was mine before the day was done.
Appreciate 2
tranck500.50
ried791.50
      06-03-2020, 04:38 PM   #51
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

It only took me a 10 minute test drive to see how much more engaging to drive it was, tight and planted and especially how it felt and rotated in the corners compared to my modded 435i. I didn't even care about acceleration, even though the M2 still felt faster, I just wanted to know HOW IT MAKES ME FEEL when I drive it.

If somebody was underwhelmed, they either had ridiculous expectations or this just isn't the car for them. Simple as that!

P.S. I do think test driving the car in Sport Plus is a must, otherwise you may feel like the car is a bit laggy and not very responsive since Efficient and even Sport do change throttle mapping considerably for obvious reasons.
      06-03-2020, 06:50 PM   #52
Aversion
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '16 Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stulio2181 View Post
I kindly disagree. I knew right away that my 18 was special. Didn’t hurt that the dealer let me have a 38 mile test drive. It was mine before the day was done.
My experience was similar. I had done a lot of research and formed what I believe were realistic expectations prior. I test drove my car for 15 minutes and was very comfortable and excited about it. I've been slowly taking my time to get to know it and it keeps getting better each time I drive it (which isn't much right now unfortunately due to the state of the country). So I've just been cleaning it and chanting "my precious" in a low tone in the garage...
Appreciate 5
DanG10583.00
ewohar21.50
cptobvious2531.50
admranger2984.50
dmboone254972.00
      06-04-2020, 01:13 PM   #53
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

I won't read through all the posts, because everyone has their own unique experiences. I will just say I agree agree with those at the beginning of the thread, that you have to spend more time with the car.

I had a similar experience when I first test drove a M2, coming from a slightly modified M235i. It didn't wow me, when driving it with the dealer sitting next to me. It wasn't until I drove one on the track, during the PCD that I really felt the difference, and loved it.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2020, 04:35 PM   #54
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Driving tests are usually extremely lame. If you pootle around town in a sports car it tells you nothing.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 05:30 PM   #55
JggyM2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Driving tests are usually extremely lame. If you pootle around town in a sports car it tells you nothing.
Yeah it's like lugging a Ferrari on the streets at 35mph and wondering what a sports car is for. Yake it on the track or a nice highway strip to enjoy the sheeeet out of it.
      06-28-2020, 10:21 PM   #56
Corry El
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Test driving my 2018 told me one important thing: the stiff ride is generally tolerable to me on the crappy local roads (in northern NJ). That had been a concern of mine just reading about the M2. With dealer in the car on heavily trafficked roads there was no way I was going to learn how fun the it might be on open winding roads, let alone what it could do at a track. But I wasn't worried about that. And the car turned out as fun as I imagined in those situations once I got to them.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      06-29-2020, 12:22 PM   #57
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I’m 6’3 and actually prefer the higher seats. I don’t even lower them to the floor- in fact, I’m probably closer to the top height than I am to the bottom. I find that I end up in a really bad ergonomic position sitting low, with my knees pulled up closer to my chest rather than having my upper leg parallel to the floor. Because it’s a 6MT, moving back further doesn’t really work as you can’t get the clutch in easily.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 01:39 PM   #58
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasnub View Post
I’m 6’3 and actually prefer the higher seats. I don’t even lower them to the floor- in fact, I’m probably closer to the top height than I am to the bottom. I find that I end up in a really bad ergonomic position sitting low, with my knees pulled up closer to my chest rather than having my upper leg parallel to the floor. Because it’s a 6MT, moving back further doesn’t really work as you can’t get the clutch in easily.
In fact the BMW recommended seating position is with your head about 2-3" from the top. Just enough room for a helmet
This gives better visibility and car control. The seating position isn't perfect in the M2C but I can adjust it for control and long term comfort at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 07:35 AM   #59
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

late to the game, and not sure if the OP has actually bought one, but I will add to the theme of a couple of 15 minute test drives don't allow you to really understand the car and the smiles per mile it offers

I was coming from an m240i (and a 2016 cayman S before that) and I test drove the M2C twice, one DCT and one 6mt.

both times I walked away "meh" but I bought it anyways because I didn't really see any other options for a manual car out there

even my drive home from the dealership in my new car was "meh" and i was kinda like "well another dumb move" .

Well as time has gone on, I have come to love this car, even more so after break in. I am not a track guy, but spirited drives around town make me realize how much fun this car is. The m treatment shows itself in so many ways, turn in, handling, sound (yes it does sound good from INSIDE the car), engine character and response.

like my cayman S this is a car that just leaves you wanting more, it's the right size with incredible power and handling

I too was underwhelmed after the test drives, when I drove home in m240i, thinking "the m2c is too similar to make it worth the move"

but it totally was worth the move, it feeds my passion for cars in a way the m240i never did, it truly is a driver's car and I am very glad I got one!
Appreciate 4
///AVM2528.00
BigKutta3896.50
tranck500.50
      08-11-2020, 05:58 PM   #60
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

can't remember how exactly I got to this thread, but I'm definitely curious what exactly people are expecting and where the gap is between expectations and reality.

please forgive me being a layman, but are you expecting to spin the tires out in second and third gear? Have no idea if previous M cars are capable. My 2020 M2C is a manual - only time I've ever gotten wheel spin was 1st gear, and not on purpose. Jamming on the gas in second or third gear even at high RPMs doesn't do it. My understanding is that this is something cars like a Viper / Corvette can do. Not that I want to do this, but is this something people are longing for?!

Is it not feeling the pinned back in your seat during a hard pull? Because on that one, that happens to me anytime I want on a spirited drive. High 2nd or 3rd gear, and this thing pulls like crazy.

I really had a good opportunity to push this car at my second track day with it, and I'm just curious what exactly they are expecting the car to do that it can't...?!?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 06:08 PM   #61
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
late to the game, and not sure if the OP has actually bought one, but I will add to the theme of a couple of 15 minute test drives don't allow you to really understand the car and the smiles per mile it offers

I was coming from an m240i (and a 2016 cayman S before that) and I test drove the M2C twice, one DCT and one 6mt.

both times I walked away "meh" but I bought it anyways because I didn't really see any other options for a manual car out there

even my drive home from the dealership in my new car was "meh" and i was kinda like "well another dumb move" .

Well as time has gone on, I have come to love this car, even more so after break in. I am not a track guy, but spirited drives around town make me realize how much fun this car is. The m treatment shows itself in so many ways, turn in, handling, sound (yes it does sound good from INSIDE the car), engine character and response.

like my cayman S this is a car that just leaves you wanting more, it's the right size with incredible power and handling

I too was underwhelmed after the test drives, when I drove home in m240i, thinking "the m2c is too similar to make it worth the move"

but it totally was worth the move, it feeds my passion for cars in a way the m240i never did, it truly is a driver's car and I am very glad I got one!
I have never properly driven a porsche before, other than a silly event in Nantucket where we got to drive one on a road at about 55 miles an hour. I think if it anytime over the next year I'm feeling like my eyes are wandering, I owe it to myself to do a proper test drive with a 718 and a 911 just to feel the difference....

i've heard so much about the manual gearshift experience, but I'm mostly curious about how the lower horsepower of say a 300 hp 718 T, GTS 4.0 @ 394 hp, or 718 GT4 @ 414 hp, will feel against the M2C.

And then of course the comparison to a 991 carrera @ 379 hp. I know it's about more than just horsepower, but I just need to feel the difference in low end torque vs blah blah blah
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 09:24 PM   #62
magha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 AW 6 spd

On the track is where the m2 really shines and gives that wow factor!! I went from a FBO N54 135 to an LCI after having ridden in one on the track right after having driven my 135 on the same track. The diff was like night and day!

Was my aha M is for real moment. The M-differential more than makes up for the electric steering IMO

18 M2 6 Spd AW - VRSF DP / CP & Race FMIC, ER TIC & GFB DV+ with BM3 Stage 2
Retired 09 135 JB4 G5 ISO w/BEF, N54 Tuning Performance DPs, BMS DCI, ER Charge Pipe
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2020, 04:44 AM   #63
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed1118 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
Were you driving in Efficient? If so it feels supper sluggish in that mode, especially coming from a tuned N54 which creates boost really early. Once tuned and put in Sports + there's no chance you wont be impressed.
I think it might be the drive mode!
Yes - i think so too especially if the car was in eco/comfort - which to my memory does start in this mode as default
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 05:35 PM   #64
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsterino View Post
please forgive me being a layman, but are you expecting to spin the tires out in second and third gear? Have no idea if previous M cars are capable. My 2020 M2C is a manual - only time I've ever gotten wheel spin was 1st gear, and not on purpose. Jamming on the gas in second or third gear even at high RPMs doesn't do it. My understanding is that this is something cars like a Viper / Corvette can do. Not that I want to do this, but is this something people are longing for?!
I dunno, the other day I was driving with the windows down and the sunroof open. I rolled onto the throttle in Sport + at around 4K RPM in 2nd gear....and heard something I did not expect: squeaking tires. Now, i did not feel the rear end move around, but I also didn't expect to hear the tires struggling for grip since it's not like I jumped on the gas, just rolled into it. It was a dry, relatively well paved road.

And yes, it's not like that was a rolling burnout or anything, but this car is...pretty fast.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2020, 09:29 PM   #65
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Quote:
I dunno, the other day I was driving with the windows down and the sunroof open. I rolled onto the throttle in Sport + at around 4K RPM in 2nd gear....and heard something I did not expect: squeaking tires. Now, i did not feel the rear end move around, but I also didn't expect to hear the tires struggling for grip since it's not like I jumped on the gas, just rolled into it. It was a dry, relatively well paved road.

And yes, it's not like that was a rolling burnout or anything, but this car is...pretty fast.
manual?

interesting. honestly - I still have a healthy fear of this beast and generally don't push on public roads. may have to test again in a safe place :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 11:20 PM   #66
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
manual?

interesting. honestly - I still have a healthy fear of this beast and generally don't push on public roads. may have to test again in a safe place :-)
Yeah, i was probably being a little irresponsible for public roads, but nobody was around and it was just a quick pull to hear the car before going back down to the speed limit. I am indeed in a manual transmission car. I believe i was in MDM mode, definitely in sport plus. I think that part of the road is concrete, so that may be why i was hearing the tires when they're normally pretty quiet.
Appreciate 1