BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > First time reviewing BM3 logs - pointers needed

05-18-2020, 11:16 AM   #1
digimattic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 6MT LBB M2

First time reviewing BM3 logs - pointers needed

Hi there,

After some technical issues which needed sorting out, I managed to get out and log some time with my car running Stage 2, 93 Octane.

I see that there is some knocking detected, which is obviously cause for concern, but does not seem to be at full throttle or under load. Not sure how to interpret this. Is someone more knowledgeable able to take a look and see how these logs look? Is the timing okay? It seems to be to my beginners eyes, but there is a lot of data here!!

Many thanks!

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ec0...729b721306b894
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 12:03 PM   #2
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

This log is unreadable to me. There is too much noise. aka useless data that is getting in the way of diagnosing issues.

What you need to do is put car in DSC Off mode, start the log, then apply full throttle at ~2500rpm in 4th gear, continue logging until redline. Choose one gear and do not shift gears during the log.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 12:12 PM   #3
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

This log isn't showing any useful data. It looks like you just cruised down the streets in some stop and go?

You need to go from 2500RPM from 3rd gear all the way to redline and ideally into 4th gear and up to redline again.

Use Sport+ at a minimum or DSC completely off.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:11 PM   #4
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
This log isn't showing any useful data. It looks like you just cruised down the streets in some stop and go?

You need to go from 2500RPM from 3rd gear all the way to redline and ideally into 4th gear and up to redline again.

Reason I don't use 3rd is because my tires spin, and 2500rpm in 3rd gear is too slow for the highway.

I also suggest OP fix whatever is showing his gears incorrectly. 0 gear, 0.16 gear, and 1.45 gear do not exist. No idea why it's showing like that in the logs.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 12:15 PM   #5
digimattic
Private
Rep

Quote:

No - these were on a highway and were 4th or 5th gear pulls to redline. Do you guys stop and start the logging immediately before and after each pull?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 12:29 PM   #6
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimattic View Post
No - these were on a highway and were 4th or 5th gear pulls to redline. Do you guys stop and start the logging immediately before and after each pull?
I don't see any indication of you going to redline in that log. This is probably a bad capture.

For me yes I start my log before I do the pull and end it shortly after to keep things minimal. It's not necessary to do though. I just see no indication of you doing a pull in the log you posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 12:31 PM   #7
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The current version of BM3 has an autolog feature to start the log at a set pedal input level (set it to 75% or something high) and an auto cutoff for a specified number of seconds after liftoff
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 01:21 PM   #8
digimattic
Private
Rep

Quote:
I don't see any indication of you going to redline in that log. This is probably a bad capture.

For me yes I start my log before I do the pull and end it shortly after to keep things minimal. It's not necessary to do though. I just see no indication of you doing a pull in the log you posted.
Yeah - The log was strange because it doesn't appear to show that I was ever WOT, which I was 4 or 5 times.

Quote:
The current version of BM3 has an autolog feature to start the log at a set pedal input level (set it to 75% or something high) and an auto cutoff for a specified number of seconds after liftoff
That's very helpful! Thank you! It has been very hard to find decent open stretches of road, so I have been reluctant to turn it off an on manually for fear of missing my chance. This will be great.

I will try again when I get a chance and report back. Thanks very much for the assistance.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 12:12 AM   #9
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB - 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by digimattic View Post
Yeah - The log was strange because it doesn't appear to show that I was ever WOT, which I was 4 or 5 times.

That's very helpful! Thank you! It has been very hard to find decent open stretches of road, so I have been reluctant to turn it off an on manually for fear of missing my chance. This will be great.

I will try again when I get a chance and report back. Thanks very much for the assistance.
Any updates? I'm also from Toronto, looking to do an OTS BM3 tune. Just not sure about whether to start at stage 2 91 or stage 2 93. I've read that the gas in Canada isn't great, but that may just be data from Western Canada folks.

What mods do you have?

edit:
Did a search and found the following:
Quote:
Pure Turbos Inlet Pipe
FTP Charge and Boost Pipes
GFB DV+
Wagner EVO II Comp Intercooler
Nice mods!
Appreciate 0