BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions First time lease return

02-28-2020, 11:25 AM   #1
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
First time lease return

Hi all,

I will be returning a 540i in June. I have never leased before and want to get some insight as to what to expect. The car will be returned well under mileage. it is pristine with the exception of (red face ) one wheel was curbed. Has original tires (except one - not the result of the curb) and no major work done.

I may purchase or lease another BMW. Wondering how to handle this. And what am I going to be dinged for the wheel?

Would probably make the change tomorrow if they want to waive the rest of the lease and put me in a new X5 or X7. Well assuming the market doesn't tank too much more.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 11:57 AM   #2
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
Hi all,

I will be returning a 540i in June. I have never leased before and want to get some insight as to what to expect. The car will be returned well under mileage. it is pristine with the exception of (red face ) one wheel was curbed. Has original tires (except one - not the result of the curb) and no major work done.

I may purchase or lease another BMW. Wondering how to handle this. And what am I going to be dinged for the wheel?

Would probably make the change tomorrow if they want to waive the rest of the lease and put me in a new X5 or X7. Well assuming the market doesn't tank too much more.
How bad is the curb rash? If it’s a huge rash, there are chances they might charge you for it. If it isn’t that big, they probably won’t do anything. In the BMWs we have returned, we’ve never had any rashes or scratches so I can’t say for sure. But in my last A4, there was a rash that was 2 inches long but they didn’t say anything about it since the rest of the car was perfect. I’m assuming BMW might be similar. If you’re worried, you can take it to a rim shop and ask them to fix it. Should be less than $100 to fix it. Or you can go in early and ask the dealer their opinion. If they say there’s a chance you can be dinged, ask them how much they’ll charge to fix it and then shop around and get it fixed. You have more than enough time to get it fixed.
Also, if you plan on buying another BMW, they might go easy on you since you’re a prospective customer and they don’t want to lose you to another brand.

With regards to your tyre. Was it a RFT? If so, does the replacement have the BMW star on it? I’ve read about bmw making a fuss when the tyre doesn’t have a star, even if it’s the same brand and model as the rest of the tyres on the car. Also, they will check tread level. I can’t remember the exact cut off (4/32?). But if it is below the cutoff, they’ll ding you for replacement tyres.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 12:07 PM   #3
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Thanks. I think I'll have an inspection soon so I have time. On the tire I called the dealership before replacing it and asked since it was a different brand name but identical RFT specs and they said no problem.

We shall see.

Likely will get another BMW but not sure new or used lease or buy so I don't want to be locked into one of those choices.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 12:18 PM   #4
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I think I'll have an inspection soon so I have time. On the tire I called the dealership before replacing it and asked since it was a different brand name but identical RFT specs and they said no problem.

We shall see.

Likely will get another BMW but not sure new or used lease or buy so I don't want to be locked into one of those choices.
Ah ok. If the dealership gave you the all clear on the tyres, that’s fine.
When you take the car in for inspection, ask them to do an unofficial inspection first. Or else, they might note it in the system and if they say there are a lot of things that need to be charged or if you want to get it fixed from outside and you want to take it to another dealership for an inspection, they won’t be able to since the first dealer already marked it in the system that it has been inspected.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 12:41 PM   #5
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Ah ok. If the dealership gave you the all clear on the tyres, that’s fine.
When you take the car in for inspection, ask them to do an unofficial inspection first. Or else, they might note it in the system and if they say there are a lot of things that need to be charged or if you want to get it fixed from outside and you want to take it to another dealership for an inspection, they won’t be able to since the first dealer already marked it in the system that it has been inspected.
Unofficial inspection. Good advice. Thanks.
\
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 12:52 PM   #6
quick6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M6,BMW M340i

If you end up doing a deal, they won't hassle you at all and if you are under the lease mileage, you'll receive a check in the mail. Just bring the car in cleaned up.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 01:14 PM   #7
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by quick6 View Post
If you end up doing a deal, they won't hassle you at all and if you are under the lease mileage, you'll receive a check in the mail. Just bring the car in cleaned up.
Would love it. Think I'll swing by Sunday and see what they tell me.
]
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 01:34 PM   #8
Josh-PA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2, n55 e88, B58 G05

There is an under miles credit in the lease terms. I'm not sure whether you'll actually get a check (quick6 might know that better), but you can definitely apply it towards any damage / wear fees on the car. You will also have a lot more flexibility if you tie the turn in to a new car. I've only leased once. I picked up a 335GT off swap-a-lease for a year and was shocked how easy my turn in was. I did not buy/lease another car when I turned mine in, but was under mileage. The process took 15 minutes.

Kudos to Ottos BMW in PA for making that process waaaayyyy more painless than I was expecting.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 01:50 PM   #9
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-PA View Post
There is an under miles credit in the lease terms. .
Really? I've never heard of this
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 02:13 PM   #10
quick6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M6,BMW M340i

For sure, last two cars that we turned in received checks from BMW financial for under mileage!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 02:17 PM   #11
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Is this under miles credit from BMWFS? I’m positive my SA didn’t mention anything about it. I returned my Audi with 10k miles less than the allotted 30k and got nothing back from AFS. Hopefully my experience with BMW is better.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 07:48 AM   #12
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I'll certainly reply here if I get any credit. I didn't know there was supposed to be one so it would be a nice surprise. If they offset the damage the idiot that curbed there wheel did I'm good.

PS - in further defense of the curbing I was seriously jet lagged and it was a new car to me. And I'm not as young as I once was. And it was at the gym at 5:30 AM and my shoe was untied and the sun was in my eyes.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 07:59 AM   #13
Josh-PA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2, n55 e88, B58 G05

Quote:
I'll certainly reply here if I get any credit. I didn't know there was supposed to be one so it would be a nice surprise. If they offset the damage the idiot that curbed there wheel did I'm good.

PS - in further defense of the curbing I was seriously jet lagged and it was a new car to me. And I'm not as young as I once was. And it was at the gym at 5:30 AM and my shoe was untied and the sun was in my eyes.
Here's a screen grab of a page from my lease turn in doc. Note the comment. I think it was also disclosed in the pre-lease turn in packet that BMWFS sends out. Having said that, I've heard horror stories, I thikn it is very much dealership dependent.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 08:55 AM   #14
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-PA View Post
Here's a screen grab of a page from my lease turn in doc. Note the comment. I think it was also disclosed in the pre-lease turn in packet that BMWFS sends out. Having said that, I've heard horror stories, I thikn it is very much dealership dependent.
Thanks Josh. I need to dig up my paperwork and see what's in there. I noticed on the BMW webpage that if you go into another BMW lease they waive the disposition fee and give a discount on the new lease.

I expect to be treated well by the dealer. My dealer is Penske here in Arizona. Over the years between his various dealerships (Porsche, BMW, Mercedes) I think I've bought about 7 cars although some of the Mercedes were from before Penske owned that dealership. Bet they have the records though. My guess is they want to maintain me as a happy customer. I hope so.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 09:11 AM   #15
mffarrell
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i Porsche 911 turbo

UNUSED MILEAGE LOYALTY PROGRAM

"The Unused Mileage Loyalty Program is designed to reward customers who have not used all of their contracted miles. A credit for unused miles will be applied to the customers' new account, regardless if there is an outstanding balance on the previous account. A credit for unused miles will be applied to the customer's new account and is available to offset any outstanding liabilities during the account term, including monthly payments.

The calculated percentage of unused contractual mileage will not include mileage purchased in excess of the standard 15,000 miles per year. This portion of unused mileage will continue to be refunded to the customer as outlined in Section 15 of the lease contract.

The program excludes refunding any mileage purchased after lease inception using the Mileage Adjustment Program. Any balance remaining from the Mileage Adjustment purchase will continue to be applied to Excess Wear and Tear or other outstanding charges from the previous account including the disposition fee and remaining receivables."

The Unused Mileage Loyalty Program credits offered are below:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 05:30 PM   #16
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I visited BMW dealer today. Did an "informal" inspection with the lease return guy. He checked tire tread depth and didn't seem to notice or care about curb on one wheel. Cool.

I asked about return under miles and bennies if I get another BMW. he said if I lease another BMW the miles credit is applied to my first lease payment. And well as they waive the return cost of $350.

Leaning to a new X5 so we'll see when we are closer to June
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      03-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #17
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I visited BMW dealer today. Did an "informal" inspection with the lease return guy. He checked tire tread depth and didn't seem to notice or care about curb on one wheel. Cool.

I asked about return under miles and bennies if I get another BMW. he said if I lease another BMW the miles credit is applied to my first lease payment. And well as they waive the return cost of $350.

Leaning to a new X5 so we'll see when we are closer to June
That’s nice. And most manufacturers waive the disposition fee and give a discount on a new car of the same brand. I had that offer when I turned in my A4. But I didn’t get another A4 because I wanted the B9.5 and it wasn’t out then.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0