BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Gym Talk! Daily gym related talk

03-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #243
Pinscher
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I wash an re-use all my supplement bottles and all my supplements come in bags which are poured back into the plastic container I bought.

Plus I'm only 200lbs or so, so I don't feel that I eat that much more food than a normal person.

In fact I think the "normal" for most of the population is fat and they consume way more food than I do.
That's awesome. I've never seen supplements in bags. I've likely made more waste than you!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 07:18 PM   #244
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinscher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I wash an re-use all my supplement bottles and all my supplements come in bags which are poured back into the plastic container I bought.

Plus I'm only 200lbs or so, so I don't feel that I eat that much more food than a normal person.

In fact I think the "normal" for most of the population is fat and they consume way more food than I do.
That's awesome. I've never seen supplements in bags. I've likely made more waste than you!
Next they'll be selling MILK in bags!!!
      03-13-2019, 07:22 PM   #245
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Next they'll be selling MILK in bags!!!
Novel idea.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 07:24 PM   #246
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinscher View Post
I'm cheap.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 09:37 PM   #247
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Anyone use a TENS unit for muscle stimulation, and for tense/injured muscles?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 09:39 PM   #248
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Jumper cables work faster, the smell lets you know youre getting a good burn
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      03-13-2019, 09:41 PM   #249
Mingwan
Major
Rep

I tried that for a while but my nipples couldn’t handle the clamps.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 11:56 PM   #250
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Jumper cables work faster, the smell lets you know youre getting a good burn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
I tried that for a while but my nipples couldn’t handle the clamps.
WTF?

On a side note had a pretty good shoulder workout!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 08:35 PM   #251
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Anyone use a TENS unit for muscle stimulation, and for tense/injured muscles?

hell yes - i had sciatica pain from a bulging disc for about a year- the tens unit was heaven. i tell everyone about them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
Mingwan1891.00
      03-18-2019, 08:57 PM   #252
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Can I use it to get jacked and watch TV all day?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 01:28 AM   #253
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Can I use it to get jacked and watch TV all day?
Only on Wednesday
      03-19-2019, 07:56 AM   #254
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Not that kind of jacked
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #255
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

crazy yesterday evening at the gym. this girl with white yoga pants decided to wear a neon orange thong! talk about look at me! I was looking so damn hard there were times I couldn't remember if I finished complete sets lol! ever try to fight yourself to concentrate on the workout only to fight with your damn eyes wanting to look over at her doing squats? you could hear a pin drop cause every dude stop working out just to stare and creep on her
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #256
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
crazy yesterday evening at the gym. this girl with white yoga pants decided to wear a neon orange thong! talk about look at me! I was looking so damn hard there were times I couldn't remember if I finished complete sets lol! ever try to fight yourself to concentrate on the workout only to fight with your damn eyes wanting to look over at her doing squats? you could hear a pin drop cause every dude stop working out just to stare and creep on her
attention whore.

she wants you to look, but then when you do, she complains about being ogled.

that shit annoys me.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #257
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

started to train at home with body weight only.. pretty practical and efficient..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 01:39 PM   #258
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

Newcomer to this thread and the gym.

I'm almost 27 and have been eating fast food for every meal, drinking 2-3 sodas per day and consuming way too much beer for the past 5 years. Somehow that only adds up to 155lbs on a 5'9" guy.

I've always been skinny and struggled to put weight on throughout high school (105lbs) and college (115lbs). No matter what I ate, how much I ate or what I did... I was a twig.

About 2-3 years ago I got my desk job and finally started to gain weight. I was delighted to see 135lbs on the scale and no longer see my ribs. But then I quickly hit 145lbs and noticed the only area gaining weight was my gut. Recently I tipped past 155lbs and my midsection was a lot bigger than the rest of my body. I was disgusted with myself and decided to do something about it a few weeks ago.

I stopped drinking soda, cold turkey. I drink nothing but water now. I emptied my sugary snack drawer at my desk. I started meal-prepping healthy meals for every lunch and dinner of the week. I stopped overeating during meals or pointlessly eating out of bordem. It wasn't until I did this that I realized how much I enjoyed eating, especially bad food. The first week sucked and I felt hungover every single day.

Fast-forward almost 3 weeks later and here we are. I'm down from 155lbs to 147lbs and the only thing I changed was my diet. I feel better. My pants got slightly looser but I still have a gut. I'm sure dieting alone won't get rid of it.

What are some things I can start doing at the gym to turn this fat belly into a fit core? I'm not looking to bulk up into a monster, but I would like to tone what I have and maybe turn some fat into muscle. Some abs and pecs would be cool too.

I have a $10/mo membership to the local 24/7 gym. Can someone give me a personalized routine? A schedule with tips/workouts to do, otherwise I won't stick to it. I'd like to go 2-3 times per week, but I don't know what the hell to do there. I'm too cheap to pay for a personal trainer. Back in my college days I tagged along with some of my friends and did some crunches and bench pressed, but it's safe to say I don't really know what I'm doing.
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #259
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful View Post
Newcomer to this thread and the gym.

I'm almost 27 and have been eating fast food for every meal, drinking 2-3 sodas per day and consuming way too much beer for the past 5 years. Somehow that only adds up to 155lbs on a 5'9" guy.

I've always been skinny and struggled to put weight on throughout high school (105lbs) and college (115lbs). No matter what I ate, how much I ate or what I did... I was a twig.

About 2-3 years ago I got my desk job and finally started to gain weight. I was delighted to see 135lbs on the scale and no longer see my ribs. But then I quickly hit 145lbs and noticed the only area gaining weight was my gut. Recently I tipped past 155lbs and my midsection was a lot bigger than the rest of my body. I was disgusted with myself and decided to do something about it a few weeks ago.

I stopped drinking soda, cold turkey. I drink nothing but water now. I emptied my sugary snack drawer at my desk. I started meal-prepping healthy meals for every lunch and dinner of the week. I stopped overeating during meals or pointlessly eating out of bordem. It wasn't until I did this that I realized how much I enjoyed eating, especially bad food. The first week sucked and I felt hungover every single day.

Fast-forward almost 3 weeks later and here we are. I'm down from 155lbs to 147lbs and the only thing I changed was my diet. I feel better. My pants got slightly looser but I still have a gut. I'm sure dieting alone won't get rid of it.

What are some things I can start doing at the gym to turn this fat belly into a fit core? I'm not looking to bulk up into a monster, but I would like to tone what I have and maybe turn some fat into muscle. Some abs and pecs would be cool too.

I have a $10/mo membership to the local 24/7 gym. Can someone give me a personalized routine? A schedule with tips/workouts to do, otherwise I won't stick to it. I'd like to go 2-3 times per week, but I don't know what the hell to do there. I'm too cheap to pay for a personal trainer. Back in my college days I tagged along with some of my friends and did some crunches and bench pressed, but it's safe to say I don't really know what I'm doing.

My first thoughts are, changing your diet is the best first move. There's an amazing variety of great healthy food. I stay away from artificial food coloring and those man made trans fats-partially hydrogenated oils.

Slowly going into an exercise program, the first thing is to learn to protect your spine and joints by not doing resistance exercises incorrectly. Also you don't need to have planned your workout in advance. Once you get to the gym figure out what you want to do that day, at this stage try to figure out which exercises you like doing.

Think about aerobic exercise, biking, running, swimming, jump rope - all things you can do in most gyms.

As for resistance training push-ups are a nice exercise, you can do them anywhere. But I would do a variety of free weight and machines for the first six-months. Learn to use them correctly, with appropriate weight and then think about how you may want to effect the look of your physique if that's what interest you. I would suggest that things like squats you do w/o weight at first and deadlifts I suggest you research on who and where you learn and get instructed on such an exercise.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2019, 04:56 PM   #260
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

-ful

If you are standing and holding weights for any exercise, do NOT lock your knees. Let your thighs be your shock absorbers, not your spine.

Start with the minimum weight on a machine/barbell/bar. IF you get done with your 12 reps and you didn't feel anything, you can always do another 12 with the next weight up. If you went too heavy to start and hurt yourself, it's not as easy to go down in weight and do another, because you are now injured more than what resistance training is supposed to do.

The only real competition is with yourself/your ego. My body/skills is different than yours. How much I can/can't lift isn't any indication how much YOU should lift. Listen to your body, it knows.

If you are standing and holding weights for any exercise, do NOT lock your knees. Let your thighs be your shock absorbers, not your spine. (yes, that was intentional)

YMMV, but welcome to the addiction that is healthy living
Appreciate 2
      03-19-2019, 05:32 PM   #261
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I will add that there's lots and lots of YouTube videos on workouts that will generally give you a better idea on what to do. Start with the basics
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2019, 06:21 PM   #262
Mingwan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel_Hunden View Post
attention whore.

that shit annoys me.
It’s ok to look unless you’re ugly
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 07:19 PM   #263
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I will add that there's lots and lots of YouTube videos on workouts that will generally give you a better idea on what to do. Start with the basics
Mark Rippetoe on YouTube is very good. Though if i were a novice and started watching Jeff Cavaliers vids i probably get turned off to lifting very quickly.

Also I always liked searching for the workout routines of F1 drivers, tennis players, soccer players - usually great coordination exercises.

Last edited by overcoil; 03-19-2019 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2019, 09:15 PM   #264
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel_Hunden View Post
attention whore.

that shit annoys me.
It’s ok to look unless you’re ugly
exactly. what matters is who looks
Appreciate 0