BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Dealer messed up customs papers - twice - car delayed

09-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #1
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Dealer messed up customs papers - twice - car delayed

Hi guys.

I'm in sort of a unique situation and I'm looking for some advice.

I ordered my M2 the day allocations were released and got week 28. Once the VIN was created the full amount of the car was due, so I put down a downpayment and financed the rest. The reason why I had to do this was it's a factory direct sale. The car headed to Bremerhaven and got on a boat. The car finally arrived September 4th to the port.

I'm participating in BMW Mil sales. I'm tax exempt and I get about a 10% discount. I'm currently living overseas and the car I bought is US spec. Since I'm tax exempt I'm only allowed one personal vehicle (understandable) so I sold my prior car before the BMW hit the port. In the meantime I'm in a rental car, at my own expense.

Now - I received the papers Tuesday, Sept 4. I go on Sept 5 (Wednesday) to get the customs papers stamped (so I get my tax exemption and can import the car) only to come to find out that the import papers don't match the invoice amount (dealer was doing multiple import papers at once, fudged the numbers). So I take it to customs the following day (thursday) once I got the revised paper. Well it was too close to closing time so they said to come back the following day to pick it up (Friday). I get the papers to the dealer Friday at lunchtime. Dealer says he will send the papers Monday to the customs office at the port (this is being sent electronically btw) and when I inquired as to why he couldn't send them the same day he said he had other papers he had to work up. Whatever.

Now it's Monday. I get a text from the dealer saying that it didn't clear customs yet and it would clear Tuesday (tomorrow). I then get a phone call an hour later saying that the country of origin on the paperwork is wrong and that my paperwork must now be restamped. Oh but now Monday is over so the earliest this can happen is Tuesday morning...

On top of all of this, the dealer insists that it takes BMW a minimum of 7 days to process the car once it passes through customs. That means I was supposed to get the car this Thursday, and now the very earliest I can get it is next Tuesday.

Meanwhile I am making payments on a car not in my possession (two so far), the bank is asking for my title and threatening me to increase my interest rate to 26% if I don't comply ASAP, I'm paying money every day to be in a rental car, and my dealer has zero incentive to release the car to me because the car is already paid in full.

What would you do in this situation?? I'm literally at a loss for words at this point. The dealer has no incentive to get the car to me, I'm paying every day to rent a car, and I'm on the verge of having my interest rate spike due to not having a title yet. What recourse do I have with this dealer?

Oh and to add insult to injury, even though I told the dealer I didn't want the car washed before delivery and I don't want holes drilled for the license plate (korean plates are euro style, being drilled on a US spec bumper, last person who had this happen ended up with 10 holes in their bumper and it looked terrible) the response was "we can't change or make any requests to how BMW processes cars at the port."

I will never, ever do this process again. Sorry for venting!
      09-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #2
BOhio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i

Pardon my French, but your dealer sounds like a douchebag. Is the dealer in Korea, where I presume you will be driving your car? If so, tell them 개똥 같은 소리
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 01:56 PM   #3
F87 M2
Rep
Drives: BMW

Regardless of what country you're in or the type of car deal you've received, these issues need to be brought to the attention of upper management. Unfortunately, being a patient customer does nothing to light a fire in someone who is incompetent or lackadaisical.

Hopefully, a new contact person will be assigned to see things through. Be tactful, but firm, in your requests. Once things are going the right way, I would again make the request to not wash the car or drill the front license plate at the time of delivery.

As for the bank, provide a trail that you've been working with the dealership to resolve and expedite the process. Worst case scenario, you can refinance with another financial institution and still get a decent interest rate.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #4
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Is your dealership in Korea or the US?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 04:45 PM   #5
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87 M2 View Post
Regardless of what country you're in or the type of car deal you've received, these issues need to be brought to the attention of upper management. Unfortunately, being a patient customer does nothing to light a fire in someone who is incompetent or lackadaisical.

Hopefully, a new contact person will be assigned to see things through. Be tactful, but firm, in your requests. Once things are going the right way, I would again make the request to not wash the car or drill the front license plate at the time of delivery.

As for the bank, provide a trail that you've been working with the dealership to resolve and expedite the process. Worst case scenario, you can refinance with another financial institution and still get a decent interest rate.

Good luck!
In regards to the bank, they've been very understanding up to this point. Of course refinancing is always an option but when I refinance it will be as a used car at a higher rate than the 2.5% I'm paying now.... Why should I be penalized for the mistake of others?

I have to drop my customs paper off at his office today so I'll be asking who his supervisor is and escalating the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Is your dealership in Korea or the US?
Dealer is in Korea, but they're in the niche market of bmw mil sales.
      09-11-2018, 07:14 AM   #6
twboy1999
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 honda accord

I would complain to BMW korea
      09-11-2018, 06:43 PM   #7
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Pm me your sales guy from Kolon motors. My M2 had the holes drilled but another guy I'm friends with was able to get them not drill the holes. I ended up modding the Korean bracket to use the holes ( 6 of them...) they drilled for the US bracket mount. I also had lackluster results once my car came into customs but eventually got my car.

If youre using NFCU, then ask your Kolon motors rep for a memo with the BMW letter head stating the delays with customs / your car.

Let me know if you have any other questions or need dealer support in Seoul. I do not use Kolon motors anymore....
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 06:45 PM   #8
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Small update for those interested...

I initially went to get my papers signed yesterday morning but come to find out they needed the original packet which was at the port, so my dealer went and picked them up during his lunch break, I picked them up from him, got my amended customs papers signed by my customs agent and took them immediately over to my dealer. I asked him if he was going to customs that same day and he said yes, but then he started with some excuse that "oh they have so many cars right now it is taking a long time so we are still on track." By this point I was just really upset so I just said "whatever" and walked out. He tried following me but I told him I didn't want to talk to him. I haven't heard the status since.

I did however send him a lengthy email and copied who I am thinking is his supervisor as well as the person in charge of their social media pages, outlining all the issues and delays and informing them of all of the problems. I never received a response, but I did notice that my dealer was acting completely different and trying to be the "good guy." I also reached out to the dealer chain on social media asking for the supervisors contact information but interestingly enough I still haven't heard back... I plan on going with my girlfriend to their main office in Seoul over the weekend to file a complaint there as well. Unfortunately I'm not fluent in Korean so I need help with communications a lot of the time...

Anywho, I'm hoping it clears customs today then it's 5 working days until I can take delivery.
      09-12-2018, 06:33 PM   #9
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Update: Thanks to CoffeeLife's help I was able to get in touch with the manager, and interestingly enough my license plate holes are no longer an issue, I have a delivery date, and my car cleared customs!

I get to pick up the car on Tuesday when it's dropped off at the showroom.

Things are looking up!
      09-17-2018, 07:52 PM   #10
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
Update: Thanks to CoffeeLife's help I was able to get in touch with the manager, and interestingly enough my license plate holes are no longer an issue, I have a delivery date, and my car cleared customs!

I get to pick up the car on Tuesday when it's dropped off at the showroom.

Things are looking up!
Great news!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 08:03 PM   #11
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Great news!
T minus 3 hours to pickup...
      10-10-2018, 03:15 PM   #12
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
I totally understand your situation and I hope you got to pick up your car today!

My experience was similarly frustrating for a different reason which resulted in a two and a half month delay in getting my car. From my perspective, BMW Military Sales is a joke.

I'll save you the details but the highlights are that I ordered a US specification Long Beach Blue M2 through the 'main' BMW Military Sales dealer in Germany in Dec 16. I paid full MSRP plus the destination charge which is supposed to cover fright costs for transporting the car from the US port to the US dealer...in the US! I paid 10% when I ordered it in Dec 16 and paid for it in full in March 17 for a mid April deliver at the Welt in Munich (destination charge?!?). I sold my daily driver, booked non-refundable flights, hotels etc., and eight (8) days before the delivery date, my service rep sends me the finally paperwork I would need to take delivery at the Welt...of a Mineral Gray M2.

They offered to perform my Break-In Service for free if I would take the MG car...FYI, the 1200 mile Break-In Service is free for everyone EXCEPT Military Sales customers outside the US.

I declined their offer and they (one of the largest BMW Dealers groups in Germany) was able to 'pull some strings' and get my LBB M2 rescheduled for production at the end of June. Work commitments meant I could not take delivery until the end of July so I owned the car 6 days before I had to make my 5th payment! Not to mention, I had to buy another car to get to work! The Dealer's mistake cost me about $5K and the sales manager wouldn't even return my phone calls or e-mails.

I called BMW NA but the 'Geniuses' don't know anything about the Military Sales program and keep confusing it with the USAA Military Sales program they support. I hope your Connected Drive features work, mine don't, and don't get me started on the navigation!

Bottom line, don't let the dealer's incompetence spoil the experience, drive your new M2 and enjoy it!
      10-10-2018, 06:56 PM   #13
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmurf View Post
I totally understand your situation and I hope you got to pick up your car today!

My experience was similarly frustrating for a different reason which resulted in a two and a half month delay in getting my car. From my perspective, BMW Military Sales is a joke.

I'll save you the details but the highlights are that I ordered a US specification Long Beach Blue M2 through the 'main' BMW Military Sales dealer in Germany in Dec 16. I paid full MSRP plus the destination charge which is supposed to cover fright costs for transporting the car from the US port to the US dealer...in the US! I paid 10% when I ordered it in Dec 16 and paid for it in full in March 17 for a mid April deliver at the Welt in Munich (destination charge?!?). I sold my daily driver, booked non-refundable flights, hotels etc., and eight (8) days before the delivery date, my service rep sends me the finally paperwork I would need to take delivery at the Welt...of a Mineral Gray M2.

They offered to perform my Break-In Service for free if I would take the MG car...FYI, the 1200 mile Break-In Service is free for everyone EXCEPT Military Sales customers outside the US.

I declined their offer and they (one of the largest BMW Dealers groups in Germany) was able to 'pull some strings' and get my LBB M2 rescheduled for production at the end of June. Work commitments meant I could not take delivery until the end of July so I owned the car 6 days before I had to make my 5th payment! Not to mention, I had to buy another car to get to work! The Dealer's mistake cost me about $5K and the sales manager wouldn't even return my phone calls or e-mails.

I called BMW NA but the 'Geniuses' don't know anything about the Military Sales program and keep confusing it with the USAA Military Sales program they support. I hope your Connected Drive features work, mine don't, and don't get me started on the navigation!

Bottom line, don't let the dealer's incompetence spoil the experience, drive your new M2 and enjoy it!
Eesh you definitely take the cake then. I ended up getting the car 14 days after it hit the port, which wasn't the end of the world but it definitely goes to show that once you've paid the car in full the dealer has zero incentive to deliver the car to you.

For my 1200 mile service I had an independent shop do it because BMW Korea is soooo caught up with the Diesel recalls that I couldn't get in until the end of the month. I didn't know that the break in service isn't free for MSP.

Additionally, ConnectedDrive is, well, not connected. I'm currently trying to figure out a solution, I think I may pay a guy at a BMW dealership under the table to connect it for me or at least flash the Korean system on there so I can use CarPlay (I really need the navigation) because just like you my navigation is also disconnected. Apparently dealers in Korea are forbidden from doing any coding on BMW's so they never want to do it but we'll see if I can get them to. Like I said I want to stop using my phone for maps and want it integrated... Once I get all that done I'll be good to go hahaha