BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2C 2019 vs 2020 ECU differences?

01-30-2020, 03:03 AM   #1
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M2 Comp

M2C 2019 vs 2020 ECU differences?

Hello,

I don't own an M2 (hopefully soon) and don't post much either, but been lurking around the M2 forums on the daily. I found some 2019 models sitting around some dealers near by and anticipating it would be easier to close a deal on those instead of the 2020 models, even some used 2019 M2C I'm keeping an eye on.

Anyways, I wasn't able to find a specific thread on this topic but came across vague comments about the 2019's being easier to tune in comparison to the 2020 models. Something about the new cars having constant updates being done via cloud, making tunes like BM3 unattainable. Not sure what the details are so can someone please shed some light on what a fellow potential M2 owner who plans to tinker with the S55 should look out for between 2019 and 2020 models?

Thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 03:34 AM   #2
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

The ECU are the same amongst each model year but software after 03/2019 has a different bootloader than the prior software iterations.

A bootloader or BIOS is a piece of code that runs the vehicle's operating system, upon startup.
Think of when you start a Windows laptop, that program that gets everything up and running is the bootloader.

On older software versions, prior to when it was changed, tuners was able to hack into that gateway and then run their own software i.e. a tune.

Since BMW changed the bootloader, tuners are no longer able to use that backdoor to add their own data, thus, unable to flash tune the ECU.

Until someone finds another way to manipulate the new bootloader, flash tuning is on the back-burner.

You can still use a piggyback tune like Dinan or JB4 but no flash tunes for vehicles built after 03/2019.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2020, 04:24 AM   #3
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The ECU are the same amongst each model year but software after 03/2019 has a different bootloader than the prior software iterations.

A bootloader or BIOS is a piece of code that runs the vehicle's operating system, upon startup.
Think of when you start a Windows laptop, that program that gets everything up and running is the bootloader.

On older software versions, prior to when it was changed, tuners was able to hack into that gateway and then run their own software i.e. a tune.

Since BMW changed the bootloader, tuners are no longer able to use that backdoor to add their own data, thus, unable to flash tune the ECU.

Until someone finds another way to manipulate the new bootloader, flash tuning is on the back-burner.

You can still you a piggyback tune like Dinan or JB4 but no flash tunes for vehicles built after 03/2019.
That makes complete sense. Thank you for the quick, informative response.

Is there any way to identify the software versions without looking at the build date? Just curious.

Also, not to get too nerdy, it sparks my curiosity if the BIOS can be accessed, similar to how a windows computer, and boot the BIOS off a pre 03/2019 M2 up on cars post 03/2019. Basically similar to how one can boot a windows computer off a flash drive or CD-ROM BIOS instead of the built-in hard drive. If that makes any sense.

Thank you again
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      01-30-2020, 07:49 AM   #4
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Actually you can still tune the cars with the newer boot loader. You just have to send the DME in to get unlocked. Then you can flash away to your hearts content.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
ChrisK4449.00
      01-30-2020, 08:34 AM   #5
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntzUntzUntz View Post
Is there any way to identify the software versions without looking at the build date? Just curious.
Yep, sure is. Just plug a USB into the port in the center console, scroll thru the iDrive and go to the profile section, and export that. Take the flash drive to your comp, and plug it in, and then open the file in a text editor. If the iStep version is F20-19-03-XXX or later, it is locked. Not sure how relevant this is for a car you are TRYING to buy, but you could give it a shot.

Here is the actual guide on how to do it. LINK TO iSTEP GUIDE
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      01-30-2020, 09:49 AM   #6
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
That makes complete sense. Thank you for the quick, informative response.

Also, not to get too nerdy, it sparks my curiosity if the BIOS can be accessed, similar to how a windows computer, and boot the BIOS off a pre 03/2019 M2 up on cars post 03/2019. Basically similar to how one can boot a windows computer off a flash drive or CD-ROM BIOS instead of the built-in hard drive. If that makes any sense.

Thank you again
You cannot do that.

My understanding is that the old bootloader is unlockable. Once it's unlocked, you can modify tune values among other things.

With computers, you cannot run a BIOS off of a USB drive. But you can run an operating system off of a USB drive. I'm assuming the reason you cannot do this with our cars is because the BMW bootloader does a key check to make sure the OS is genuine. The reason I make this assumption is because that is what standard practice is elsewhere. What happens is a hash is taken of the OS, then the bootloader is programmed to only run an OS with that hash. If you modify the OS, then the hash output is different, so the bootloader won't run this... If the bootloader is unlocked, then that security check can be turned off. That's at least how Android, iOS, router firmware I've messed with, and Windows 10 works.

Also, there isn't a place to plug a USB drive in to read. You would have to replace the nand on the pcb or interface with the DME another way.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 01-30-2020 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
akkando5863.00
      01-30-2020, 01:47 PM   #7
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Hello,

I don't own an M2 (hopefully soon) and don't post much either, but been lurking around the M2 forums on the daily. I found some 2019 models sitting around some dealers near by and anticipating it would be easier to close a deal on those instead of the 2020 models, even some used 2019 M2C I'm keeping an eye on.

Anyways, I wasn't able to find a specific thread on this topic but came across vague comments about the 2019's being easier to tune in comparison to the 2020 models. Something about the new cars having constant updates being done via cloud, making tunes like BM3 unattainable. Not sure what the details are so can someone please shed some light on what a fellow potential M2 owner who plans to tinker with the S55 should look out for between 2019 and 2020 models?

Thank you in advance
According to my 50 state locate there are only 2 2019's that have not been "punched" Both Alpine White DCT's. One's in TX and the other in OK.

Any other 2019's that have been used as Exec Demo's etc I can't "see" in the locater software.
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 03:28 PM   #8
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:

If you have the Bimmercode APP, you can load it up, go to where I circled and it would show you your software version. That's the easiest and quickest way, in my opinion.

The "7-13" under i-Level represents the year and month of your software, you can extrapolate from there.

As far as the BIOS/Tuning issue goes, from what I understand, they haven't yet found a way to penetrate the gateway, from the OBD2 port, unless as someone mentioned, you remove the ECU and send it away to get bench flash.

I don't like the idea of an aftermarket flash tune, so I have a Dinan stage 1 piggyback tune. It's picks up the slack within the factory map and if I want to go back stock, I can use the bypass APP or disconnect it in 10 mins.

I prefer this reversible concept, over flashing the factory mapping but that's just me. So I'm not too up on the tuning market but I get the gist of the issue.

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
ChrisK4449.00
///M TOWN16075.50