BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Turner Motorsport Carbon Intake?

01-25-2019, 12:58 AM   #1
ecitizen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Turner Motorsport Carbon Intake?

Another intake thread! I couldn't find much about this one on the forum or elsewhere. Anyone have a Turner Motorsport intake installed? The matte version looks good.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...-335i/?pdk=AQQ

Appreciate 1
BAN_M2C4154.50
      01-26-2019, 04:09 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Not familiar with it, post your feedback OP if you decide to go with this intake

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 05:29 AM   #3
M2C AW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Alpine White

The heat shield supplied on the Turner looks to be a nice piece. Some of the other manufacturers intakes do not include a similar shield...the filter is open to the engine compartment.
It would be nice to see some logs showing how much the shield actually helps IATs under various conditions.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 02:34 PM   #4
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Looks really nice, I may pick one up but would be good to know if it has any CEL issues
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      01-30-2019, 11:58 PM   #5
ecitizen
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosely View Post
Looks really nice, I may pick one up but would be good to know if it has any CEL issues
Did you get one? Curious what you think or anyone who has installed it.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 12:42 AM   #6
ecitizen
First Lieutenant
Rep

I finally gave in and purchased one. Installed it tonight and everything fit and looks great. Drove a little bit and sounds awesome and so far no CEL. However, I haven't driven it that much. I'll circle back here after a few days with more thoughts. Hard to say if any intake is worth the money but I'm going to give it a go. 30 day return policy if I'm not satisfied so will see. I always wonder whether an open intake will bring more garbage into the motor vs a closed one? Turner does make a cover but you would have to remove the brace.

In the meantime, here's a quick pic:

Appreciate 3
      02-12-2019, 03:03 AM   #7
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Looks great!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 03:09 AM   #8
M2C AW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Alpine White

Looks great!
I opted for the Dinan piece. That’s nice also, but does require that the corner brace be trimmed for the super-sized enclosed filter box. I can see why someone could have a problem with that...but I was ok with it. Factory quiet and no CELS btw.
I wonder if the carbon tube is a better (or worse) insulator than the oe plastic ?
Either has to be better than an aluminum intake tube.
Thanks for posting.

Last edited by M2C AW; 02-12-2019 at 03:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 04:50 AM   #9
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Open intakes are a fast track to a dirty engine bay. I've used my fair share on numerous cars and it's always the case without a good heat shield or enclosure.

Although you could check clearance to see if that heat shield makes some sort of contact with the hood. If it does, it shouldn't get too bad.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 02:35 PM   #10
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Good that there are other intake options now but Dinan makes the best intake for this vehicle..

I know this forum is infested with Dinan haters but their fit and finish on par with BMW standards and more important than everything else; No CEL light! Which will guarantee happen with any open intake due to the sensitive MAF sensor mapping.

When the MAF senses an abundance of air as with an open intake, which is not inline with the factory parameters, it sets off a "plausibility" error code.

https://boostedforums.net/showthread...r-Plausibility

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=950230
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #11
ecitizen
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Good that there are other intake options now but Dinan makes the best intake for this vehicle..

I know this forum is infested with Dinan haters but their fit and finish on par with BMW standards and more important than everything else; No CEL light! Which will guarantee happen with any open intake due to the sensitive MAF sensor mapping.

When the MAF senses an abundance of air as with an open intake, which is not inline with the factory parameters, it sets off a "plausibility" error code.

https://boostedforums.net/showthread...r-Plausibility

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=950230
No CEL as of yet on mine and sounds fantastic. Will keep everyone posted. I like the Dinan one too but am partial to the matte carbon look.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 05:30 PM   #12
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Not true. The Eventuri and CTS intakes don't throw CEL codes.

And the Dinan requires you to modify or remove a brace...
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2019, 05:57 PM   #13
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
Quote:

Not true. The Eventuri and CTS intakes don't throw CEL codes.

And the Dinan requires you to modify or remove a brace...
Eventuri yes, I know it's doesn't throw a CEL, since it's practically a close set-up anyways and I can't speak for CTS intakes.

You believe what you want, it's your car. But before you doubt me, you should educate yourself on the subject.

Factually, an open intake does cause a CEL due to MAF sensing a surge of air not prevalent to the stock mapping, so the vehicle throws a code because it assumes there is a defect in the system. It's not that they're essentially a bad product, it's just the nature of open intakes on BMWs.

I went cheap before, got an open intake and my first WOT I had a CEL. I contacted the manufacturer and he said "you need a tune"

After some research, I learned that BMW MAF sensor is sensitive to open air intakes. The only way around a CEL is a tune to disable the MAF sensor.

Any close setup will mimic a stock air flow, thus no CEL.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 09:09 PM   #14
ecitizen
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Eventuri yes, I know it's doesn't throw a CEL, since it's practically a close set-up anyways and I can't speak for CTS intakes.

You believe what you want, it's your car. But before you doubt me, you should educate yourself on the subject.

Factually, an open intake does cause a CEL due to MAF sensing a surge of air not prevalent to the stock mapping, so the vehicle throws a code because it assumes there is a defect in the system. It's not that they're essentially a bad product, it's just the nature of open intakes on BMWs.

I went cheap before, got an open intake and my first WOT I had a CEL. I contacted the manufacturer and he said "you need a tune"

After some research, I learned that BMW MAF sensor is sensitive to open air intakes. The only way around a CEL is a tune to disable the MAF sensor.

Mine is an open intake and have not had a CEL to date. Running great so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 06:09 PM   #15
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the helpful advice.

Let me add to your research - the CTS intake, which is an open intake, has now done 8000km on my car and not thrown a CEL.

I previously ran a BMS open intake on my F10 535i and that also did not throw a CEL. But I note that the BMS intake for the M2 does - so go figure.

So not all open intakes are the same.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9099.00
      03-27-2020, 07:13 PM   #16
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecitizen View Post
Hi ecitizen, I'm doing research on intakes and have narrowed it down to CTS and Turner, wondering if you have gotten a CEL since you've installed it?

CTS is cheaper but the Turner looks much better. CTS does claim more HP gains, but I figure they would be nearly the same given that they are both open air? Perhaps the piping is larger on CTS?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 11:50 PM   #17
ecitizen
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
Quote:
Hi ecitizen, I'm doing research on intakes and have narrowed it down to CTS and Turner, wondering if you have gotten a CEL since you've installed it?

CTS is cheaper but the Turner looks much better. CTS does claim more HP gains, but I figure they would be nearly the same given that they are both open air? Perhaps the piping is larger on CTS?
In the end I sold it and went with Dinan. Those open intakes let off a whistle sound at lower RPMs that I didn't like. Dinan is closer to stock but breathes a bit more. The Turner one is a great deal and really well built if you do want open. Sounds great spooling up and blowing off but just didn't like the whistle noise. And no CEL at all.
Appreciate 1
eeyang92318.50
      03-28-2020, 09:34 AM   #18
prat7728
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Tons of compliments on sound. Looks great too.
5 months. No CEL
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
eeyang92318.50
      03-29-2020, 02:39 AM   #19
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
In the end I sold it and went with Dinan. Those open intakes let off a whistle sound at lower RPMs that I didn't like. Dinan is closer to stock but breathes a bit more. The Turner one is a great deal and really well built if you do want open. Sounds great spooling up and blowing off but just didn't like the whistle noise. And no CEL at all.
Great to hear there is no CEL, that is the biggest sticking point for me (and steered me away from BMS). I'm guessing the whistling noise is subjective, but since my M2 is my "half"-DD car (other being a super noisy na miata), I hopefully won't be too bothered by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prat7728 View Post
Tons of compliments on sound. Looks great too.
5 months. No CEL
Looks amazing!

Thank you both for your feedback
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2020, 08:21 AM   #20
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Why do you think that the Dinan or any of these breath better than stock?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #21
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

I just installed the Turner open intake on Friday of last week and it does sound really good. However, as a few have said, you get a "blowing over a bottle" sound in low RPM. I notice it between 2-2.5k RPM under light load. This is my daily driver and I'm still debating whether I keep it. Overall, I think it sounds incredible and makes excellent noises. I have some sound clips on my Instagram @jonnyoh24
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2020, 01:55 PM   #22
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

no Dinan in Uk?

Edit found this:
https://mp-uk.com/shop-all/bmw/2-ser...or-bmw-f87-m2/

ouch!
Appreciate 0