BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Noelle Performance review

Closed Thread

01-24-2020, 02:39 AM   #89
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnx View Post
Can anyone pls expand on this back dating thing, what exactly is it?
You update (or more correctly backdate) the DME (your cars main computer) to an older version that is hackable unlike the current version which is not hackable.

Its like installing an older version of the same software on your computer. You may loose some bug fixes but no major functionality.

EDIT: from the Dinan tune thread it seems all they do is backdate the bootloader so any other software updates etc will still be present and unaffected.

shoei Guess you dont own a phone with a stop watch to time some 0-60 or 10-60 or whatevers and compare? LMAO.

Last edited by Megator; 01-24-2020 at 03:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
gnx751.50
      01-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #90
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Comp F83

Very interesting thread. I heard about this tune at a local CCA event this past weekend...and Noelle is in my backyard. The guy owned many BMWs and stated the same exact verbiage as the OP. 600hp only from tune. but also tunes DCT and Diff. Claimed the tuner was ex-BMW and is who BMW uses for their tunes (?) and thus is fully warranty covered. NO dyno work. Said he had a N55 135i with 500hp and this was considerably faster and thus his butt dyno confirms.

I'm sorry but this feels very snake oil. There is no way a tune adds 200hp without upgrades to exhaust, cats, IC, cooling etc. And reliably...what type of boost are they running to add 50% HP. And think the engine is bulletproof to handle.

I agree with those posted that BMW will certainly not cover, then Noelle will claim the failure was not due to their tune. Stuck in the middle with a paperweight.

Someone on a FB group is doing a before/after dyno run in Mid Feb, I will report those results.

My fav comment was how one oil was better than another by appearance.
Appreciate 2
shoei7778.00
      01-24-2020, 11:08 AM   #91
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Butt Dyno and Eyeball oil analysis. Good stuff Noelle

Appreciate 3
pz6193274.00
shoei7778.00
      01-24-2020, 11:50 AM   #92
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

I'm just sitting here in the cheap seats with a bowl of popcorn, but I have to say that it's a pass..... no, a HARD pass..... for me for any tuner that doesn't produce clear, *reproducible* analytics on their tuning/product.

And yes, I'll be in the market so I'm watching this with great interest.

Anybody can say "We used unicorns and rainbows in our secret-special-proprietary way and were able to go from 400 hp to 600 hp without a single change to any component-- and we did it on pump gas."

Ok. Great! That's amazing! Put me in line! And, do you accept the souls of leprechaun's or unicorn pelts instead of credit cards?

Seriously-- what manufacturer goes through all of the time and effort to develop a product/tune for an expensive vehicle but never, ever puts it on a dyno or releases charted hp/tq results?

Even further, how does an "authorized dealer" install the tune without ever putting it on a dyno? They're easy to find, and relatively inexpensive-- certainly in comparison to what the tune costs.

If it was my car, I'd want to see clear, analytic results-- if for no other reason to know what I'm paying for (leaving aside such things like hp/tq shifts, flat spots, peakiness, etc).

It makes no sense, so color me confused.

But, for the moment (and I suspect moving forward), Noelle's off of my list of tunes to consider for my M2C.

R.
Appreciate 3
      01-24-2020, 12:26 PM   #93
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep

obviously a dyno was used to create the tune

so....................
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 04:02 PM   #94
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanGA View Post

so....................
They posted it some time ago... It looked like it was done in crayon by a 7 year old child...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 04:09 PM   #95
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Very interesting thread. I heard about this tune at a local CCA event this past weekend...and Noelle is in my backyard. The guy owned many BMWs and stated the same exact verbiage as the OP. 600hp only from tune. but also tunes DCT and Diff. Claimed the tuner was ex-BMW and is who BMW uses for their tunes (?) and thus is fully warranty covered. NO dyno work. Said he had a N55 135i with 500hp and this was considerably faster and thus his butt dyno confirms.

I'm sorry but this feels very snake oil. There is no way a tune adds 200hp without upgrades to exhaust, cats, IC, cooling etc. And reliably...what type of boost are they running to add 50% HP. And think the engine is bulletproof to handle.

I agree with those posted that BMW will certainly not cover, then Noelle will claim the failure was not due to their tune. Stuck in the middle with a paperweight.

Someone on a FB group is doing a before/after dyno run in Mid Feb, I will report those results.

My fav comment was how one oil was better than another by appearance.
Must be Noelle's slogan...

"Butt Dyno"
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 04:14 PM   #96
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnx View Post
Can anyone pls expand on this back dating thing, what exactly is it?
You update (or more correctly backdate) the DME (your cars main computer) to an older version that is hackable unlike the current version which is not hackable.

Its like installing an older version of the same software on your computer. You may loose some bug fixes but no major functionality.

EDIT: from the Dinan tune thread it seems all they do is backdate the bootloader so any other software updates etc will still be present and unaffected.

shoei Guess you dont own a phone with a stop watch to time some 0-60 or 10-60 or whatevers and compare? LMAO.
What are you babbling about? I have a draggy, and even if I didn't, what would I compare with? A fictional car with a fictional tune with no slips, draggy or dyno?

How many accounts do you have anyways?
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2020, 06:28 PM   #97
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

Problem is, Noelle has already tarnished their image amongst forum members with this whole fiasco. Even if they do produce a dyno graph, I would take it with a grain of salt. At this point it would require multiple independent dynos for me to believe anything about this tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 06:48 PM   #98
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by filet.M2c View Post
Problem is, Noelle has already tarnished their image amongst forum members with this whole fiasco. Even if they do produce a dyno graph, I would take it with a grain of salt. At this point it would require multiple independent dynos for me to believe anything about this tune.
And video evidence of said vehicle... Showing the draggy / track slips and anything else...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 09:57 PM   #99
NOS4A2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
I don't really get the response, I know it was purely on my end from the passengers seat but I figured it was worth atleast posting.

As someone doing research for options on their car I'd love to some independent/audited data on it myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:09 PM   #100
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:

so....................
Not obvious. Have you ever heard of road tuning? It's a thing and much more common than dyno tuning.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:38 PM   #101
NOS4A2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

At this rate mods should just lock the thread and re-open when there's data to back up?

Back to waiting for a convenient tuning option that's closer to me to spring up.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 11:55 PM   #102
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Not obvious. Have you ever heard of road tuning? It's a thing and much more common than dyno tuning.
Yes. Noelle famous butt dyno
Appreciate 1
shoei7778.00
      01-25-2020, 12:40 AM   #103
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What? I'm very anti-Noelle here (which you would know if you read my posts in this thread). The point of my comment is that tuning a car does not require a dyno. As long as you have logging ability road tuning happens all the time. Just go on F80 threads, E90 threads, etc. and you will see what I mean. In fact I road tuned every car I had (including a 500hp Evo X which didn't see a dyno until 4 months after my road tune) until about 6 years ago.

Thus, your assumption that they obviously had to have used a dyno when creating the tune because how could they tune is an incorrect assumption.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 02:32 AM   #104
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What? I'm very anti-Noelle here (which you would know if you read my posts in this thread). The point of my comment is that tuning a car does not require a dyno. As long as you have logging ability road tuning happens all the time. Just go on F80 threads, E90 threads, etc. and you will see what I mean. In fact I road tuned every car I had (including a 500hp Evo X which didn't see a dyno until 4 months after my road tune) until about 6 years ago.

Thus, your assumption that they obviously had to have used a dyno when creating the tune because how could they tune is an incorrect assumption.
I feel like having dyno results is a key component before releasing a tune / piggy to the masses... I'm talking before they release the tune... The people want to know before diving into it, no? That's my thought process on it at least, but I could be wrong...

That shit is forever engrained in me... "With a purchase of Noelle, get a free limited offer on your own butt dyno..."
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 10:07 AM   #105
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yes. But they are advertising specific HP results. Should have very clear before and after detailed results. The car. Same dyno. Specific modifications.
More data gives more credibility.
Appreciate 1
BruceM983.00
      01-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #106
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes. But they are advertising specific HP results. Should have very clear before and after detailed results. The car. Same dyno. Specific modifications.
More data gives more credibility.
100% agree, again if you read my other posts. My point is that your assumption that tuning can only happen with a dyno is incorrect.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 06:45 PM   #107
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

Well I have now had the car on the dyno twice and it’s making over 500 to the wheels. With 15% drivetrain loss it is indeed making claims.

It’s also faster 60-130 than an f90 m5 via dragy times. Believe it or not. I don’t really care

Best 3k I’ve ever spent. I’ll say it again.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 07:10 PM   #108
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbossman View Post
Well I have now had the car on the dyno twice and it’s making over 500 to the wheels. With 15% drivetrain loss it is indeed making claims.

It’s also faster 60-130 than an f90 m5 via dragy times. Believe it or not. I don’t really care

Best 3k I’ve ever spent. I’ll say it again.
Any chance you can post the dyno graphs?

I'm not doubting the claims, just curious to see what the power and torque curves look like
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 07:59 PM   #109
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBoss302 View Post
Any chance you can post the dyno graphs?

I'm not doubting the claims, just curious to see what the power and torque curves look like
They’ve sent me the graphs via email but not seeing it. I’ll have to ask them for it.

The way the car pulls up top is just insane compared to stock. The gentleman that posted before was a passenger on local roads and didn’t feel anything outside of 3rd gear. 4-6th is where you really feel what a real difference it makes. I’ve roll raced several stock and tuned f10/12/13 as well as stock and tuned f90s.

Everyone has been impressed. It’s very impressive for an otherwise stock, minus exhaust, M2C.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 08:07 PM   #110
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
Butt Dyno and Eyeball oil analysis. Good stuff Noelle

Lol...My main hobby is building belt fed machine gun kits. In fact I have some which cost more than this car. It’s pretty common knowledge what kind of oil will perform under high heat when you’ve tested lubrication to absolute extremes. Don’t really need more then your eyeballs and a bit in the fingers to tell.

Anyone comparing the stock oil the the liquimoly, while being asked which they would prefer in their car would choose the latter.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread