BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M Performance Exhaust - Pairing Process

09-03-2019, 03:29 PM   #23
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

Dirtboy,

Thanks for confirming the pairing process. Do you happen to know if the module shows any indication of power (e.g. LED etc.) ?

Thanks,
Monika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtboy View Post
I lost connection to mine and from what I read online you have to press and hold the remote button for 15-20 seconds while holding it right next to the module in the trunk. Do this while the module is on. Worked for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 03:33 PM   #24
Nikkize
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
I lost connection to mine and from what I read online you have to press and hold the remote button for 15-20 seconds while holding it right next to the module in the trunk. Do this while the module is on. Worked for me.
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 06:46 PM   #25
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, F97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Monika View Post
Dirtboy,

Thanks for confirming the pairing process. Do you happen to know if the module shows any indication of power (e.g. LED etc.) ?

Thanks,
Monika
Yeah there's a red LED on top that lights up when it's turned on. It flashes when the valves are activated.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 11:56 AM   #26
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

For clarity, are your referring (lights to indicate it's powered on) to the controller or the module (black box with on/off switch) that's located in the trunk. I remember reading that the controller does flash to indicate your in track mode and continues to flash until the valves are closed.

I'm just trying to figure out when the module in the trunk is turned on, does it have any LED indicated it's active. As you can see, my controller works (blinks red when pressed 2x) but I believe the module in the trunk has no power even though the switch is in the ON position. Our dealer (at this point) is just guessing and it's sooo time consuming to keep taking it back to them.

Thanks so much for your help.
Monika

Quote:
Yeah there's a red LED on top that lights up when it's turned on. It flashes when the valves are activated.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 06:17 PM   #27
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For clarity, are your referring (lights to indicate it's powered on) to the controller or the module (black box with on/off switch) that's located in the trunk. I remember reading that the controller does flash to indicate your in track mode and continues to flash until the valves are closed.

I'm just trying to figure out when the module in the trunk is turned on, does it have any LED indicated it's active. As you can see, my controller works (blinks red when pressed 2x) but I believe the module in the trunk has no power even though the switch is in the ON position. Our dealer (at this point) is just guessing and it's sooo time consuming to keep taking it back to them.

Thanks so much for your help.
Monika
Yeah I'm talking about the module in the trunk. When the car is on (and the module switch is on), there should be a solid red LED illuminated on the top of the module. This LED flashes when you activate the flaps. You should check and make sure all the wires to the module are connected, including the ones that go into the fuse box in the trunk. It might not be getting power.
Appreciate 1
///Monika186.50
      09-04-2019, 10:00 PM   #28
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you SO much !!! This is exactly the information I needed.

Quote:
Yeah I'm talking about the module in the trunk. When the car is on (and the module switch is on), there should be a solid red LED illuminated on the top of the module. This LED flashes when you activate the flaps. You should check and make sure all the wires to the module are connected, including the ones that go into the fuse box in the trunk. It might not be getting power.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 05:20 PM   #29
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you SO much !!! This is exactly the information I needed.
No prob. Let us know if you get it sorted.
Appreciate 1
///Monika186.50
      09-06-2019, 11:51 AM   #30
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm going to have my husbands brother come by tomorrow morning and check the wiring and test all the connections. I'll definitely report back. SO hoping we can get this fixed w/o taking it back (again) to the dealer...

Quote:
No prob. Let us know if you get it sorted.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 11:00 AM   #31
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I have great news. My husbands brother stopped by this morning and brought his Megohmmeter (??) to check all the electrical connections (VDC). So here are the fuse locations that were checked.

F137 (G): Indicated 15-16 VDC.
F145 (R): Indicated 0

He pulled the red wire (F145) and the blue 15amp fuse. Reseated the fuse and the wire. The clip end actually looks like a small scissor clamp. He used the probe end and pressed the connector all the way until it was "fully" seated. He said it has to really be seated well so either use a slim probe or a small rigid wire to fully seat it. We did notice when he did this that you could hear the actuators click. He then re-checked the voltage (DC).

F137 (G): Indicated 15 VDC.
F145 (R): Indicated 15 VDC.

He mentioned that there is a 'reset' or 'learn' button just left of the LED on the module (good to know). We took the controller and gave it two quick presses and sure enough the valves opened up and the module LED was blinking (as well as the controller). SO awesome !

I'll post some pics when I get a chance. Just so excited we could get this fixed. My husband will be SO happy when he gets back. Big thanks to Dirtboy for confirming the LED and suggesting that all the wires be checked.

Many thanks,
Monika
Attached Images

Last edited by ///Monika; 09-10-2019 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 2
MASHCT541.50
      09-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #32
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Added photos in hopes that this helps someone in the future with their install/troubleshooting.

Monika
Appreciate 1
MASHCT541.50
      09-11-2019, 11:33 AM   #33
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM240 View Post
Does anyone know how to pair a used Bluetooth remote with the MPE (already installed)? Just bought a lightly used M2 (unbelievable spec!) and bought a remote off someone on here and my local dealer was kind of clueless when I first asked about pairing it. I haven’t taken delivery yet as still waiting on title but very interested in getting my ducks in a row.
I’ve read you can reset ECU in trunk with a pen but not exactly sure how to pair
See here (MPE Pairing thread: see here):
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
Hold down the button for about 10-15 seconds close to the controller box in the trunk.
Should re-pair right up
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
Try this:
Replace the battery first on the bluetooth controller
then:
While the switch is off in the trunk, hold down the remote for roughly 5 seconds, continue holding it then flip the switch on in the trunk. after 5 seconds release the button...
Then: double press the remote and see what happens
And in case you did the 'MPE hack' (permanently open or closed valves: see here): no re-pairing required after plugging the grey plug back into the MPE module.
      10-05-2019, 06:14 PM   #34
Nhock2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB

Thank you so much!

Quote:
I have great news. My husbands brother stopped by this morning and brought his Megohmmeter (??) to check all the electrical connections (VDC). So here are the fuse locations that were checked.

He pulled the red wire (F145) and the blue 15amp fuse. Reseated the fuse and the wire. The clip end actually looks like a small scissor clamp. He used the probe end and pressed the connector all the way until it was "fully" seated. He said it has to really be seated well so either use a slim probe or a small rigid wire to fully seat it. We did notice when he did this that you could hear the actuators click. He then re-checked the voltage (DC).

He mentioned that there is a 'reset' or 'learn' button just left of the LED on the module (good to know). We took the controller and gave it two quick presses and sure enough the valves opened up and the module LED was blinking (as well as the controller). SO awesome !

I'll post some pics when I get a chance. Just so excited we could get this fixed. My husband will be SO happy when he gets back. Big thanks to Dirtboy for confirming the LED and suggesting that all the wires be checked.

Many thanks,
Monika

Monika and Dirtboy,

Thanks so much for the pics and process of how to pair the BMW M2 performance exhaust. I was at a complete loss, as was my dealer.

When I checked the controller in the trunk I found that the "blue" fuse was out and not connected. I simply pushed the fuse down and my system immediately.

It great to have forums like this to help!

Nhock2
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 06:30 PM   #35
Deleted-User
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Does anyone happen to have a part numbers for the control module and the MPE Bluetooth remote?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 05:49 PM   #36
FiveDirtyFive
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 OG 6MT M2

Quote:

Many thanks,
Monika
Hey Monika, I just installed the MPE and am having the same issue you had regarding the valves and the bluetooth controller. Will be checking the connections again, but should the led light be always on? Or does the LED only turn on when the bluetooth is paired and the button is pressed?
Also, how did you use the learn button on the module to pair the controller?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 10:33 PM   #37
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

Just paired a used bluetooth controller to exhaust

Howdy!

I am not 100% sure of what I did to get this to pair. I can tell you for sure, just pressing the button on the controller for any amount of time near/next to the module in the trunk is not the solution (at least if you're using a used controller).

My guess is you have to clear any prior pairing in the module & the controller. I am only going to go over things I did that made something happen either in the controller or with the car.

One think I noticed very quickly is the (recessed, very small) reset button to the left of the red LED on the module. (Folks in this thread mention that reset button.)

I pressed and held that reset button waiting to see if anything indicated the module was ready to pair - flashing LED, for example.

What happened in my car is the car beeped twice & the trunk light blinked once. So then I thought maybe that cleared the module, so let's try pressing & holding the controller button.

The car beeped again & the trunk light blinked. I thought this meant the units were paired, but when I pressed the button, I did not hear the flaps open.

I pressed the reset button on the module once - nothing. Then twice, quickly - the LED started flashing. This suggested to me the module was in pairing mode. No idea if that was the case or not - but hey, my garage door opener LED flashes when it's ready to pair to the car so, what the hell - mebbe I'm right.

Next, I held the controller near the module & pressed the button. I heard the flaps open. (What I can't remember is how long I held the button down.) Once the flaps opened, the red LED on the module flashed (I know when the flaps are activated, that module LED flashes).

The LED ring on the controller glowed steadily, then faded to off. This suggested to me "successful pairing". Sure enough, now when I pressed the controller button the LED ring on the controller would flash quickly (which indicates it's sending the signal) and then the gates to the seventh level of hell opened, and I shit my britches.

I had no idea that exhaust was that loud.

So I don't know exactly what I did that worked - but I think to pair, you need to press that little reset button.
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 01:59 PM   #38
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Official steps to pair a MPE remote:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
mtoosexy723.00
      01-26-2022, 05:12 PM   #39
M2RAW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 BASE

Is anyone have other process to pair? I bought new remote and tried to pait with the bmw instructions and still wont work. Also tried holding it for 10-15 seconds with the module on and still nothing. Any help?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 12:28 AM   #40
Zeese
a coffee drinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT (LBB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2RAW View Post
Is anyone have other process to pair? I bought new remote and tried to pait with the bmw instructions and still wont work. Also tried holding it for 10-15 seconds with the module on and still nothing. Any help?
This post has some version info.
This thread, I think, mentions checking the fuse (make sure it is seated) and the wiring. Isn't there mention of a reset button too?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 02:07 AM   #41
berserkr
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
1997 BMW M3 sedan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
For future reference: Updated pairing instructions can be found at the end of this thread: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1905093
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 05:09 PM   #42
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

I have an M2C, but I can't even find a Bluetooth module in the trunk : Port installed MPE.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 07:58 AM   #43
ArjandeV
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i F20

Everytime I start my car I need to repair the remote, today I received my replacement remote, but same problem, so luckily can send it back. Now it's either the module, not remembering the pairing after shutdown, and there is something faulty there, or maybe its because it loses its power and the wiring is wrong? Anyone here got an idea?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 11:14 PM   #44
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
still funny "x" years later >)
I say this at work sometimes and my 25-y.o's dont understand the reference

Me and my wife use it a few times a year...

Or how about when you don't know what some piece of hardware is...
"Is it a snow cone maker?"