BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > S55 Crankshaft/Flywheel Locking Pin Location (need help!)

01-02-2022, 01:54 AM   #1
Bass_Masterson
RIP E39
Rep
Drives: 95 T/A, 08 GL450, 20 M2C 6MT

S55 Crankshaft/Flywheel Locking Pin Location (need help!)

I'm in the middle of doing a crank hub job on my M2 Competition (I'll do a write up once this is all done), and my engine does not have the hole to insert the flywheel locking pin to lock the crank at TDC. I have looked everywhere and every source (none from official service info, though) I find says it should be near the bell housing under/behind the J-pipe. I have found photos and videos of the pin in place. My engine just has blank aluminum in that spot. I have spent about 3 hours poking around my engine, to no avail. Is there another way to time the crank? I am using a friend of a friend's shop, so I really need to get this done and out of his way.
My car is a 2020 with M6 transmission. I am very perplexed there is no hole for the pin. Please let me know if you've heard of this before!

Realized I posted this in the wrong section. I'll post in the maintenance/service section, too.

Last edited by Bass_Masterson; 01-02-2022 at 08:07 AM..
Appreciate 0