01-27-2024, 07:38 AM   #1
MinionM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 // 2020 M2CS

Roof Replacement / Value Impact / Warranty

Hello all,

Just a thought for discussion - now that many of us are going to start falling outside of the factory warranty (Mine just ended), and assuming a handful of roofs have the possibility to still “bubble” or “fail” as we’ve seen on more than a few cars.

Do we think:

A) A car that has had its roof replaced under warranty has LESS/MORE/NEUTRAL value in a resale scenario.

B) Should we be MORE concerned about roof failure now, since the cost to fix/replace will be out of pocket?

C) If a roof does “fail” or develop the “bubble” outside of warranty, do we think BMW will still cover it since there have been a handful of cases?

Thoughts? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Current Garage:
2012 M3 ZCP, Mineral White, DCT: Track Build
2020 M2CS, Misano Blue, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 07:54 AM   #2
bruiser135msport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2 CS & Bmw E21 320i

Bmw Warranty and Consumer Law

Hi see my my previous post on another post Extended Bmw Warranty

I don’t know anything about consumer warranties in Europe or elsewhere in the world but here in Australia they have changed consumer laws regarding their expiry and coverage.

Depending on the value of the goods an expressed warranty does not expire at the end of manufacturer warranty .
Basically here in Australia the item must be of sufficient quality and free of defects after the warranty .

So if you take a BMW M2 Cs and it’s value/cost (new) at sale in Australia :

just because bmw states a 3 year warranty (now five years in Australia from 2023 from memory with new Bmw cars sold) the consumer warranty does not expire on the BMW stated three year or five year date .

Many new car dealers here don’t (or won’t) explain what the difference between Manufacturer Warranty and implied Federal Consumer Warranty.

Long story short Bmw here in Australia “are on the hook” for any roof manufacturing fault well after the stated Manufacture Warranty expiry !

Cheers
Bruce
Appreciate 1
MinionM3492.00
      01-29-2024, 10:49 PM   #3
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

BMW should step up if something happens, but I somehow doubt they will. Either the cost or supply chain dictated that they installed cosmetically defective roofs to start with. You could assume if they wouldn't spend the money to get it right during production they won't be giving them away via goodwill if they can help it.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 05:02 AM   #4
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

I think the biggest issue for us is the limited nature of the CS - the “class” of potential folks across the globe to band together and sue BMW to force them to address it is likely too small to threaten them in any significant way. That said, with so many documented issues out there, and this being a “flagship” model for BMW enthusiasts, I sincerely hope they do the right thing here time…the evidence is there to prove we’re right, only question is, how will they handle it? Only time will tell.

My advice would be to go to a BMW dealer before your warranty expires and express some concern about the roof and get that on the record. Then if something comes up on the future at least you have something on the record you can point to prior to expiration.

Regarding value - also no clue. I see arguments in either direction…some may want all original, others maybe not…no idea there either. But it doesn’t feel like these issues are universal, so comes down to odds of an issue I think…if 90%, I think worth more with oem teplacement. If only 10-20%, maybe original worth more. TBD.
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4033.00
      02-01-2024, 04:09 AM   #5
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
I doubt that this issue affects more than 5% of the total production , but BMW should handle this issue accordingly. Chances are if the issue has not happened yet , its more difficult to happen later because materials have already got stronger together.
MinionM3492.00
      02-01-2024, 12:33 PM   #6
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

I do not think a replacement roof will decrease the value of the car if it is oem and the workmanship is on point. Obviously would suck if it happened but not something I would be worried about and keep me from enjoying the car. I do not think BMW will do anything about it outside of warranty.
Appreciate 2
M3R12168.50
MinionM3492.00
      02-04-2024, 06:24 PM   #7
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
I do not think a replacement roof will decrease the value of the car if it is oem and the workmanship is on point. Obviously would suck if it happened but not something I would be worried about and keep me from enjoying the car. I do not think BMW will do anything about it outside of warranty.
Is this under the 3yr/36kmi portion of warranty or is there a longer warranty for structural components?
      02-05-2024, 06:46 AM   #8
NYNick
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 74 tii 78 SC 20 M2CS

I'm going full on ballistic missile war mode if this happens to my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 08:06 AM   #9
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

My hope is that they'll add some form of extended warranty like Porsche did with engine issues. Honestly, as long as I don't have to pay anything out of pocket, and the work is done right. I could care less. It adds to the story of the M2CS. My suspicion is that over time it will happen to a lot of us. I've been sure to have them note a perceived defect in my roof so that I have something on file from well within the warranty period. I would suggest everyone do the same.

Oh and they provide a rental car.
Appreciate 1
Jimjamz4581.50
      02-08-2024, 09:24 PM   #10
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Has anyone isolated vin numbers to see if the problematic roofs are grouped together during a specific build period?
Appreciate 2
MinionM3492.00
F87EVO4033.00