BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Apple Carplay topics

01-07-2017, 03:18 AM   #177
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Manual

Personally think the money spent on CarPlay wasn't worth it.

Only decent app I use is Radioplayer. I like listening to talk sport via dab radio in the uk. Sometimes I can't get hold of it via certain routes. Works fine via CarPlay.

Perhaps when more apps e.g. Waze is available I might get my money's worth.
      01-07-2017, 03:34 AM   #178
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Its BMW's fault for charging so much and forcing you to get Option 609 and Connected Drive just to be able to pay $300 to get it.

Look at VW that includes CarPlay for free in the entry level Golf. Then its great, you get "free" navigation, phone and music with your car.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2017, 08:12 AM   #179
OLO-M2
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

Thanks !
Am under ID5 unfortunately. I don't think that an upgrade would be possible ...?
Am not interested in CarPlay but in mirroring (view the actual screen of my phone). With CarPlay you can only run some basic apple apps and certainly no video ;-(
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 12:41 AM   #180
M2Forever
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2 2017

Hi Dabozo,

Can you so kindly share the steps that BMWCanada took to enable CarPlay on your car? My dealership is having trouble activating it on my car. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
We hope you are enjoying your experience as the owner of a new 2017 BMW M2. On behalf of BMW Canada and your BMW Retailer, we are pleased to announce that your vehicle’s ConnectedDrive® Services has been updated with Apple CarPlay™ preparation (6CP). As you may recall, the software for this feature was unavailable at the time you took delivery of your vehicle.

Available as part of BMW ConnectedDrive, Apple CarPlay seamlessly integrates your iPhone® to BMW’s touch input, iDrive or voice control systems, depending on the vehicle’s equipment. In order to utilize Apple CarPlay services in your vehicle, you will need to re-pair your iPhone with your BMW and follow these steps below.

We thank you for choosing BMW and we hope you enjoy The Ultimate Driving Experience® as you continue on the road ahead.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 06:16 AM   #181
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Forever View Post
Hi Dabozo,

Can you so kindly share the steps that BMWCanada took to enable CarPlay on your car? My dealership is having trouble activating it on my car. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
We hope you are enjoying your experience as the owner of a new 2017 BMW M2. On behalf of BMW Canada and your BMW Retailer, we are pleased to announce that your vehicle’s ConnectedDrive® Services has been updated with Apple CarPlay™ preparation (6CP). As you may recall, the software for this feature was unavailable at the time you took delivery of your vehicle.

Available as part of BMW ConnectedDrive, Apple CarPlay seamlessly integrates your iPhone® to BMW’s touch input, iDrive or voice control systems, depending on the vehicle’s equipment. In order to utilize Apple CarPlay services in your vehicle, you will need to re-pair your iPhone with your BMW and follow these steps below.

We thank you for choosing BMW and we hope you enjoy The Ultimate Driving Experience® as you continue on the road ahead.
Disconnect iPhone. Reconnect iPhone.

Instructions on car display will ask to connect iPhone with CarPlay.
      01-21-2017, 10:48 AM   #182
egalutan
Rep
Drives: Corvette 2000 Hardtop

Apple car play

My 2017 M2 which was built October 15 2016 came in with the Apple Car Play and it was all set up by my dealer when I took deliver last Dec 23, 2016. They provided me all the info and set up and I spent with them an hour to learn it. I did order the 2017 M2 with all the options available in Canada for the M2 except the sunroof which I am not fun of. It also had the touch screen function.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 11:47 AM   #183
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalutan View Post
It also had the touch screen function.
This is false.
Appreciate 1
ric124452.00
      01-22-2017, 06:31 PM   #184
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Forever View Post
Hi Dabozo,

sorry but i think i accidentally pm'd you my response...just follow those steps in my message. but as benzima mentions, disconnecting and reconnecting your phone from your car is essential.

that being said, i should add that i too am having issues getting it to stay connected. mind you, ive had limited time with it since the car is mostly in the garage for the winter but ya, some issues for sure...hopefully once im able to spend more time on it, ill get it sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 01:10 PM   #185
Prollig
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Apple Car Play Issues

So a couple days in already the Apple Car Play is less than stellar. Anyone else experiencing issues? The audio (podcasts) drop A LOT. Whenever I switch driving modes it pauses the audio, gotta go in and un pause. Sometimes you press on it and the screen is just blank. Maybe there is an update?

Also I switched to the Idrive mode for nav/audio/phone calls and through bluetooth the audio was also a little buggy. I will be listening to a podcast and then it just drops and starts playing the first song in my audio library. Weird.

And this is obvious, but you can't play audio through apple car play and use BMW navigation at the same time? You have to use Apple maps if you're using carplay audio correct?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 02:12 PM   #186
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prollig View Post
So a couple days in already the Apple Car Play is less than stellar. Anyone else experiencing issues? The audio (podcasts) drop A LOT. Whenever I switch driving modes it pauses the audio, gotta go in and un pause. Sometimes you press on it and the screen is just blank. Maybe there is an update?

Also I switched to the Idrive mode for nav/audio/phone calls and through bluetooth the audio was also a little buggy. I will be listening to a podcast and then it just drops and starts playing the first song in my audio library. Weird.

And this is obvious, but you can't play audio through apple car play and use BMW navigation at the same time? You have to use Apple maps if you're using carplay audio correct?
You can listen to CarPlay and use BMW nav, RTM there is mention if you switch nav you cannot switchback or something but think only for that session.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 12:23 PM   #187
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Quote:

i was successfully using spotify through carplay and google maps at the same time...the music would quiet down for the voice navigation aswell.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 05:42 PM   #188
Prollig
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Alright I'll keep at it. Main complaint while listening to podcasts in carplay through bluetooth on the iphone 7, it will just pause every 10 minutes or so. I take my phone out and unpause. I have repaired and am using BMW idrive system for now.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 06:58 PM   #189
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Alright I'll keep at it. Main complaint while listening to podcasts in carplay through bluetooth on the iphone 7, it will just pause every 10 minutes or so. I take my phone out and unpause. I have repaired and am using BMW idrive system for now.
If you are using CarPlay it is using WiFi to stream everything not BT, BT is only used for the initial handshake.

Did you download the podcast or are you streaming? If the latter, might be poor reception?

Oh, BTW which iOS are you using 9 or 10?

Edit: It was really bothering me why the Apple Support docs and the media didn't really explain how CarPlay uses Wifi and Bluetooth. So finally my OCD kicked in enough for me to go digging a bit for my own knowledge. Guessing 99% of you won't care but here is the info anyway.

When using the USB port...

https://developer.apple.com/videos/p.../722/?time=273

How wireless works... (aka Wifi + Bluetooth)

https://developer.apple.com/videos/p.../722/?time=913

Bluetooth is used for discovery and the initial connection. Once the Wi-Fi credentials are sent to the iPhone over Bluetooth, Wi-Fi is connected, Bluetooth is disconnected, and all subsequent CarPlay communication is over Wi-Fi. During the CarPlay session, all audio, including phone call audio and video, is transmitted over Wi-Fi as well as the control protocol. CarPlay requires a Wi-Fi certified AP, and 5 gigahertz is recommended. Note that high throughput, 25 megabits per second, is required.

The Bluetooth subsystem needs to support the communication protocol. Wireless CarPlay offers a convenient comfortable user experience, and we're excited to see your vehicles that support it.

Last edited by omasou; 08-05-2019 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 8
BAN_M2C4178.00
Destroya371.00
ried791.50
Sleslie40.00
ewohar21.50
ZPrime611.50
      01-26-2017, 11:47 PM   #190
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep

Great post. Interesting that, in practice, USB hands over to WiFi seamlessly when you unplug the iPhone from the head unit. The NBT Evo screen doesn't skip a beat.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 02:14 PM   #191
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
What version of iOS? What iDevice?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 06:33 PM   #192
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

iphone 6s running 10.0.2
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 09:20 PM   #193
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep

Any reason why you haven't updated to iOS 10.1?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 09:47 PM   #194
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
Any reason why you haven't updated to iOS 10.1?
With each successive upgrade the performance of my phone seems to degrade. Say what you will about Steve Jobs being an asshole, but that guy knew how to get a quality product delivered. Apple's software has been on a steady decline ever since he died.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 12:04 AM   #195
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well, iOS 10.2.1 is out now, so you're several releases behind. I haven't noticed any slowing due to software updates on my 6S Plus.

Hopefully the new release resolves the issue if you do decide to update.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 10:12 AM   #196
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
Well, iOS 10.2.1 is out now, so you're several releases behind. I haven't noticed any slowing due to software updates on my 6S Plus.

Hopefully the new release resolves the issue if you do decide to update.
Yeah, probably should add that to the list of stuff to do. I cringe every time I update.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 10:21 AM   #197
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
You know if you try to raise a support call with either Apple or BMW the first thing they do is tell you to upgrade....
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 10:22 AM   #198
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
I suspect this is a bug with iOS and not with Carplay, but, it was too aggravating not to share. Here's the setup:

1) Driving and playing music from my phone, through Carplay.
2) Get a call from a friend. Accept the call, have conversation, park car.
3) End call and immediately shut car off, before Carplay can revert back to the music playing.
4) Result: Nothing obvious for about 10 seconds until I'm out of the car and walking into a store. Then, iPhone resumes playing the song I was listening to, prior to the phone call, at full volume, through the phone. Volume control will not work. Closed the music app in the phone and it's STILL playing! Double clicked the home button and shut down ALL apps. Music still blasting out my phone at full volume. People now staring. Shut the screen off, music still playing. Getting embarrassed. Had to hard reboot the phone to get it to shut up!
If there is a next time try, double-clicking home button and swipe music app to kill the process.
Appreciate 0