BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS Underbody Shots

01-07-2021, 10:25 PM   #45
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I've gotta say that the AA EL midpipe with stock exhaust sounds great on the F80 cars. I really don't want to cut my exhaust, but for the price, this would bring a lot of satisfaction.

Keep us posted on the install.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 11:26 PM   #46
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Yeh, I’m thinking the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 06:11 AM   #47
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
With the different tips for the CS being welded on from the factory that alone could be a source of a different part number even without internal changes. I'm curious if the resonator and other part numbers match up too.
Yeah if it was otherwise identical that would definitely result in a different part number...good point! I did check the cat part number, and it is different than the M2C (assuming I checked the right part!)...the front most cat.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 12:10 PM   #48
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Other than the exhaust, what improvement do you see in underbody over the n55 m2?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 12:51 PM   #49
Mospeada
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M

theres nothing special about this underbody vs m2c. m2cs = some CF bits and pieces here and there, with M4C engine tune

whereas m3/m4 cs = magnesium oil pan with extra 0.5L oil capacity, cf drive shaft, different engine and DCT tune, and exceptional cooling, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 01:00 PM   #50
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mospeada View Post
theres nothing special about this underbody vs m2c. m2cs = some CF bits and pieces here and there, with M4C engine tune

whereas m3/m4 cs = magnesium oil pan with extra 0.5L oil capacity, cf drive shaft, different engine and DCT tune, and exceptional cooling, etc.
I believe this is a mixture of accuracy.

As far as the CS versus M2C - so far there do not appear to be any underbody differences. Back to the N55 M2, those differences have been debated between M2C and N55 M2 in other areas so I won't cover that.

There are several sources that have said there is more cooling on the CS than the M2C, but nobody has seen parts or anything to confirm that.

As far as this comment on the M3/M4 CS. yes on the Magnesium pan an capacity, the CF driveshaft was pulled over from the early days of the M3/M4 F80's, so that was not really "new". The M2 CS has a different engine and diff tune as well, and the supposed additional cooling. Not sure what the "etc" is. The M2 CS is carrying the integral carbon roof that wasn't even on the M3/M4 CS, plus adaptive dampers from the M3/M4's that was not on any M2.

Each bit is what it is, and the cars are what they are. The CS models are all slight iterations, and have done well for improving over their stablemates.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 2
      01-08-2021, 01:09 PM   #51
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

I thought they stopped making the CF driveshafts a few years ago due to them breaking?
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2021, 01:15 PM   #52
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
I thought they stopped making the CF driveshafts a few years ago due to them breaking?
That's my understanding (stopped making/using them). I also hadn't heard they were on the M3/M4 CS, but I'm assuming he is correct with what he put forward. Not worth challenging things I'm not confident around.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2021, 01:16 PM   #53
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
I believe it was because the larger OPF on Euro cars meant they had to go to a steel driveshaft as those are smaller in diameter versus the CF driveshaft.
Appreciate 2
      01-08-2021, 02:23 PM   #54
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
That's my understanding (stopped making/using them). I also hadn't heard they were on the M3/M4 CS, but I'm assuming he is correct with what he put forward. Not worth challenging things I'm not confident around.
WoW, this is a rarity for the internet; someone actually humbling themself and admitting they don't have all the answers, instead of just merely pulling it out off their ___ and stating such as fact.

BTW, the F8X CS does retain the carbon fiber driveshaft, BMW stays they eliminated on newer standard M4s due to "emissions" (pause for &#128580, yet kept it on the same model year GTS and future year CS.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24987504
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2616.50
      01-08-2021, 02:30 PM   #55
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm curious if the part number on the muffler can matches or not. Baffling could be different inside. 1-830-8-747-994
I'm thinking of calling a parts department before i change to see what the part numbers are on all parts of the exhaust system. If its unique to the CS, i'm tempted to leave it, as i'd be buying more and more into the hype that there are horsepower gains from the exhaust. If its not, i'll replace with an Akrapovic. Or if someone does a dyno before and after the akrapovic slip-on only.

Anyone who says the M2 CS stock exhaust sounds good, i'm sorry, you need to get your ears checked. Its awful, both in OPF and non-OPF.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 02:53 PM   #56
M2C_PLUS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M Comp  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Quote:
The equal length midpipes is one thing I made consider down the road. Need to look at it more, but if I can do it without cutting, and it takes off a bit of the rasp while leaving the rest of the character there I'd be all over it.
I'm in this same boat. I don't see a way around cutting the factory system. Options could be

A: Cut the factory exhaust at the weld on the superior end of the y-pipes. Weld on flange at the y-pipe and make a custom connector pipes to the AA midpipe. This way you could reweld on the factory exhaust to the y pipes down the road at the factory weld location. Probably only noticeable to those that would really care. Is this dishonest if not mentioned upon sale?

B: Replace the entire system to preserve the factory exhaust in unmolested form.

I think this will be a down the road bridge for me. The first bridge will be the auto Solutions ssk. I have to decide after more seat time of the shifter leaves me wanting, or if I'm blissfully ignorant and am happy as is.
I've thought about the EL mid pipe for awhile now. While I have not spent any time in my car yet to judge for myself I'm just going off of that S55 dueling 3 cylinder sound that I just don't enjoy.

Not to derail, but I have an HMS full exhaust (mid pipe and rear) on my 1M and it sounds in-freaking-credible!! Absolutely love it. If I do replace the rear on the CS it'll have to be stainless, I'm not a fan of the tinny sound that titanium gives.

That does sound good, I have a 1M also. Any links to that exhaust? Running Decats too?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 02:55 PM   #57
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Is the rear subframe of the M2 bolted directly to the chassis like the F80? Just curious how similar the F gen cars are for this engineering element.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 03:09 PM   #58
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Quote:
I'm curious if the part number on the muffler can matches or not. Baffling could be different inside. 1-830-8-747-994
I'm thinking of calling a parts department before i change to see what the part numbers are on all parts of the exhaust system. If its unique to the CS, i'm tempted to leave it, as i'd be buying more and more into the hype that there are horsepower gains from the exhaust. If its not, i'll replace with an Akrapovic. Or if someone does a dyno before and after the akrapovic slip-on only.

Anyone who says the M2 CS stock exhaust sounds good, i'm sorry, you need to get your ears checked. Its awful, both in OPF and non-OPF.
From what I understand, you really don't gain any kind of power, in any form, from a cat-back exhaust, unless original piping had a "scavenging" lost, due to a poor design flow, to begin with.

And from what I see, it's the same exact exhaust as the "C" - minus the tips and maybe less sound deadening..

I would be skeptical if anyone claims any power gains going from a fully-functioning stock exhaust, to aftermarket, regardless of the model.

I don't really care what my BMW sounds like, just give me any aural feedback, without the pops & burbles - I just loath the attention those sounds attracts and they are antithetical to the sophistication BMWs are suppose to commandeer..
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2021, 03:29 PM   #59
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
Is the rear subframe of the M2 bolted directly to the chassis like the F80? Just curious how similar the F gen cars are for this engineering element.
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 03:29 PM   #60
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
From what I understand, you really don't gain any kind of power, in any form, from a cat-back exhaust, unless original piping had a "scavenging" lost, due to a poor design flow, to begin with.

And from what I see, it's the same exact exhaust as the "C" - minus the tips and maybe less sound deadening..

I would be skeptical if anyone claims any power gains going from a fully-functioning stock exhaust, to aftermarket, regardless of the model.

I don't really care what my BMW sounds like, just give me any aural feedback, without the pops & burbles - I just loath the attention those sounds attracts and they are antithetical to the sophistication BMWs are suppose to commandeer..
Chris Harris (and i'm admittedly acknowledging he probably had no idea what he was saying) said the following in Top Gear Mag that make me skeptical about changing the exhaust:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 05:10 PM   #61
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSean View Post
Definitely standard M2. This guy uploaded an "undercarriage walkaround" a bunch of years ago and you can see the same machined aluminum part at 2:33

Thanks for sharing nice garage.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 09:15 PM   #62
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:

Yes aftermarket exhausts are a bit like using clothes pegs and football cards on your bicycle spokes to get a cool sound. I liked doing this when I was 10.

Apparently less obnoxious firecracker noises on the CS. I'm looking forward to this if true. I'll know soon and report back.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      01-08-2021, 10:00 PM   #63
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
I assume nothing new to see here, but I figured I'd share the photos I took after I rinsed off the salt on the lift.

I did not have an M2 before, so I was really impressed at all the bracing and attention to detail for rigidity that is in place on these things!
Beautiful car!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 10:07 PM   #64
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:

Apparently less obnoxious firecracker noises on the CS. I'm looking forward to this if true. I'll know soon and report back.
From the couple of reviews I saw so far, the CS does not have that obnoxiously loud pop and burbles, of which BMW had seem to turn up the volume to 11 on, within the last couple of years. Seems that the CS has even less of that cacophony, even more so than the current Competition model.

I assume this because of the new Euro noise ordinance, for the newer model years, that has trickled down to all current vehicles. However, I believe, Australia, where you reside, vehicles doesn't come with an OPF. So you'll get the unbridled exhaust..

I welcome the scale back on overrun bubbles fad but I get why some that crave attention might be disappointed by this but honestly, it wasn't doing you any favors; trust me, the average person observing your car drive by is not charmed by you new Bimmer sounding like a old misfiring carburetor engine.

Anyways, you lucky dog - I'm looking forward to your CS review..
Appreciate 1
Davil6485.50
      01-09-2021, 01:20 AM   #65
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
I assume nothing new to see here, but I figured I'd share the photos I took after I rinsed off the salt on the lift.

I did not have an M2 before, so I was really impressed at all the bracing and attention to detail for rigidity that is in place on these things!
Nice M2.
What were you cleaning the car with? Any issues with the dirt residue on the garage floor, or do you hose/squeegee it out?

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 01:38 AM   #66
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:

From the couple of reviews I saw so far, the CS does not have that obnoxiously loud pop and burbles, of which BMW had seem to turn up the volume to 11 on, within the last couple of years. Seems that the CS has even less of that cacophony, even more so than the current Competition model.

I assume this because of the new Euro noise ordinance, for the newer model years, that has trickled down to all current vehicles. However, I believe, Australia, where you reside, vehicles doesn't come with an OPF. So you'll get the unbridled exhaust..

I welcome the scale back on overrun bubbles fad but I get why some that crave attention might be disappointed by this but honestly, it wasn't doing you any favors; trust me, the average person observing your car drive by is not charmed by you new Bimmer sounding like a old misfiring carburetor engine.

Anyways, you lucky dog - I'm looking forward to your CS review..
Mine has zero pop and burbles.
Appreciate 2
CSBM52716.50
Poochie9103.00