BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2 Competition Owner Initial Impressions / Review

08-11-2018, 06:34 AM   #67
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Cant you use the bimmercode app to turn off ASD? I remember it working in my M2.
In my M3 I unplugged the ASD module in the trunk.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 08:05 AM   #68
SoCalS2k
Major
Rep
Drives: S2K!

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [8.50]
Awesome car and congrats but don't ever get rid of the s2k !
Appreciate 2
      08-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #69
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurbo311 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
Man tons of s2000 owners around here... Me too!

Awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyE12345 View Post
I still have the s2000, if I really get the itch to jump in a manual and hit the mountains the s2000 is awesome for that. IMO one of the best manual gearboxes out there.
Another S2000 owner. I had an 06 that I regretted selling so I picked up an 08 a few years ago. I debated going DCT with the M2 because I knew I'd always have the S2000 in the garage with a manual but I decided to stick with a manual in my 2018. So that makes two cars the wife cant drive

As you said, you cant really compare the two cars, very different but both awesome and the M2 feels lighter than it is. The M2 is an easier manual to drive in traffic compared to the S2000 imo. Maybe that's bc the M2 is new and the S2k is 10 years old with 70k+ miles and still on the original clutch?

Congrats on the new ride!
I found S2K very easy to get into gear. Engages 1st a lot faster in traffic. So shifting and operating the clutch was very natural and linear. Finding the next gear in the shift pattern is easy, slides right in. The problem with driving it in traffic is that in gear if you are not very conscious of your throttle application and current gear at low rpms you will either stall or not have a lot of torque available to execute sudden maneuvers because frankly there is none at the lower part of the rev range. I even managed to stall the damn thing in reverse due to not enough throttle! I don't have any of these same challenges in either my 128i or Z4M and I'm willing to bet no way you'd have it in an M2 or M2C either (probably more the opposite; have to be careful not to give too much throttle ).

As for visibility in traffic I do remember that because the seats weren't adjustable up/down and I'm on the shorter side I might have had trouble seeing over the hood and around the car. Either way for multiple reasons the S2000 is NOT a comfortable car period esp in traffic. Any BMW has it completely beaten here.

While I enjoyed revving that four wheeled motorbike as soon as traffic opened up and classically snap oversteering it around sudden corners it was just too uncomfortable for me to ever want to ever use it as a daily. Thought about splitting the $$ for a good used one with my cousin and turning it into a weekend project car though. Respect all car guys and gals who own and love them but for me the Z4 is more balanced comfort/performance wise for daily driving.

Should add the example I drove reportedly had a new clutch installed recently before I drove it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #70
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

awesome! glad I went with ordering one instead of getting the old m2
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #71
MartyE12345
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp AW, S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianFields View Post
Hope to see you at Cars and Coffee in Layfayette next month! Send me a PM in you're interested in doing a cruise with some F80s in Colorado!
I’ve been to that cars and coffee, I believe it’s on the first Saturday of every month, I have a wedding to go to on September 1st on the east coast unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 01:57 PM   #72
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
+1 gpw ap2
BTW, my ap2 is GPW as well. 2006 was the only year white with black interior (not a fan of the red). A lotta love for the s2000 on this forum.
Yea, my last like 10-12 cars have all been white. Haha.

Out of all the cars I've ever owned (all under like $50k), the only car that I wished that I never sold was my s2k.

...probably because I wasn't really ready to sell it yet, but somebody offered me 5k over what I paid after owning it for 2-3 yrs (I put maybe 30k miles on it) already, so I did. (I had never "made money" on a car before, so I thought it was a no brainer choice.)

...my 2000 ITR was fun too. Mine was black, but maybe if I had a white one, then I would still have it today. Haha. (But I do still have a little '94 eg hb (white) with an ITR motor, so fulfills my vtec need). Hehe

Anyway, looking forward now and I can't wait for my m2c (AW in stick)!!! Oh, why did I choose ED??? LOL
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2018, 02:42 PM   #73
V-Eight
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 G80 Comp.Xdrive

As everyone who owns the DCT tell us, the garbox is amazing in manual mode, but is garbage in auto/traffic mode.
I think this is the reason why the upcoming M3 will have the ZF. I have it in my M140i, and is perfect both in auto mode and in manual.

But, as far as the M2C, I can guess that the best choice is to opt for the manual gerabox with this car at this point.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 04:14 PM   #74
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Just a Porsche

"I purchased the DCT mostly because I want my wife to be able to drive it. "

Manual is old and its like saying that we should all go back to candle light. Lets be honest DCT is faster, better and much more pleasant to drive.

I am glad that your wife has good influence on you. One less manual.
Don't forget to get the GTS flash it will make the DCT insanely quick.

Nice set of wheels man, jealous of the brakes.

Quote:
Hello All,

I had just picked up my M2C on Friday from Bill Jacobs near Chicago. This is my first BMW I have ever owned. Recently, I have been driving a 2015 WRX Manual in the winter and my 2006 S2000 Manual over the summer. I purchased the DCT mostly because I want my wife to be able to drive it.

Driving Impressions:

First I must preface that 99% of the driving I have done in the car was driving it back from Chicago to Denver. I could really tell the car has some heft to it (especially compared to the s2000). It’s hard to explain but it feels like a pretty heavy car to me but it’s not noticeable in the corners or in terms of handling. It’s rough to compare the handling to the s2000 due to the weight difference and it’s not a fair comparison to the WRX either because it was AWD. I really like how it handles and you can really throw it into the corners. The car accelerates really hard. I put it in sport plus and got on it a few times, nothing crazy since it’s still in break in, but I was blown away by how fast it is. The 2015 WRX isn’t a slouch, it probably does 0 to 60 in right around 5 seconds and I had a cobb tune which may have brought it done .1 or .2 seconds. This is on a different level (that is probably an obvious statement though)

I was also surprised how much the brakes bite. They are really nice and have some serious stopping power. I think I just need to get used to the pedal feel and initial bite.

The exhaust seems to be a hot topic. I thought it sounded really nice but wasn’t blown away. I haven’t driven in sport plus too much just because I was on the highway. It didn’t really crackle and pop as much I was expecting. Overall I’m pretty happy with.

Update August 10, 2018:

After driving the car for a few more days, I’m still pleased with the exhaust. I never really owned a car that cracked and popped like this, it’s not too intrusive and isn’t as frequent as I was expecting. The one thing I will say is I do not like the ASD, I think I am going to purchase the bypass harness and eliminate that. I don’t think it has anything to do with the M2C, I just don’t think I’d enjoy it in any car.

I know a the car is known for having a harsh or stiff ride, for a car that has 19 inch rims with Michelin PSS, I thought the car rode nice and would be fine for a daily driver. I’m sure it doesn’t ride like a 7 series but I thought it was pretty good.

I have been driving manuals for a long time and the s2000 is known to have an amazing manual. Going to the DCT, I was impressed how quick and crisp it shifts its almost instantaneous. I will miss the “control” with the manual and the engagement. But it’s pretty crazy how fast the DCT shifts.

Update 10Aug2018: Now that I have been driving the car around town a little bit more, I will say I am a bit disappointed in using the DCT in auto mode (especially comfort/efficient) The transmission seems so confused resulting in a somewhat clunky experience. I’m sure this is a result of the car short shifting and trying to obtain optimal mileage. I don’t think I will be leaving the car in “Auto” mode, I think I will drive this car with the paddles in “manual mode”. I am still pleased with this experience, as I said before I will still miss the feeling of a manual but you can’t argue with the quickness and results of the DCT. (But I am sure people will haha)

In terms of all the iDrive/Navigation type stuff and features, I feel like I have a lot to learn. I’m not old and I’m pretty tech savvy but it’s just a lot to get used to.

Overall, I’m really happy with the car. I think after the break in and the more I drive it I will have some more insights on the car. I will probably never get rid of my s2000 and absolutely love that car. But I don’t think I can make a logical comparison between the two. They are two very different styles and very different cars. Each great in their own right.

If anyone has any specific questions about the car or driving impressions please let me know.

Update 10Aug2018: Car is going in for breakin service in the next few hours, I will keep you guys update on the driving feel afterwards and launch control. Cheers

Attachment 1878453

Attachment 1878454

Attachment 1878422

Attachment 1878423

Attachment 1878424
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 04:28 PM   #75
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Eight View Post
As everyone who owns the DCT tell us, the garbox is amazing in manual mode, but is garbage in auto/traffic mode.
I think this is the reason why the upcoming M3 will have the ZF. I have it in my M140i, and is perfect both in auto mode and in manual.

But, as far as the M2C, I can guess that the best choice is to opt for the manual gerabox with this car at this point.
My 2 cents.

I have owned two DCT cars.

1) e92 M3
2) f87 M2

The e92 M3's DCT in auto was hit or miss. When I got the M2, I was delighted at the auto mode improvements. I then got a DCT software update 4 months later and presto - the M2 was dam near perfect in auto mode.

Here is the problem in my opinion -> Everyone calls it an automatic, so I think most people expect it to be smooth like one - the DCT wants to be driven in manual mode. It's just not an automatic. It can shift like one when you need it, but it prefers to be shifted manually.
      08-11-2018, 10:35 PM   #76
PaulAZ
Rep
Drives: Tecoma

What is ASD?

[QUOTE=MartyE12345;23552115]Hello All,

"The one thing I will say is I do not like the ASD, I think I am going to purchase the bypass harness and eliminate that. I don’t think it has anything to do with the M2C, I just don’t think I’d enjoy it in any car."

What is ASD? My only issue with most forums is that the use of acronyms is like another language. I have to stop and search the web each time one is used. Many times I don't find the translation or fail to find one that accuratly describes. So, please explain the ASD. Tks Paul
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 10:44 PM   #77
MartyE12345
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=PaulAZ;23580537]
Quote:
Hello All,

"The one thing I will say is I do not like the ASD, I think I am going to purchase the bypass harness and eliminate that. I don’t think it has anything to do with the M2C, I just don’t think I’d enjoy it in any car."

What is ASD? My only issue with most forums is that the use of acronyms is like another language. I have to stop and search the web each time one is used. Many times I don't find the translation or fail to find one that accuratly describes. So, please explain the ASD. Tks Paul
I think it stands for Active Sound Design, it’s the fake exhaust noises pumped into the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 10:48 PM   #78
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Eight View Post

The DCT manual mode performance for outweigh any of the quirks in auto mode. I've yet to drive a ZF that compares to DCT. Heard the F90 ZF is very good though. There is a reason the big dogs(Ferrari, McLaren, Porsche, etc) are sticking with dual clutch.
Appreciate 1
Nkc1600.50
      08-11-2018, 11:24 PM   #79
Inline
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Zcp

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [10.00]
Not to thread jack but that dealer brought back some good memories of when I picked up my first m
Attached Images

ChrisK4449.00
qnet681.50
      08-11-2018, 11:26 PM   #80
MartyE12345
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inline View Post
Not to thread jack but that's dealer brought back some good memories of when I picked up my first m
That’s a good looking M.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      08-12-2018, 12:41 AM   #81
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

I thought you don't need a bypass harness anymore if you just use Carly and disable the ASD?
      08-12-2018, 12:51 AM   #82
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inline View Post
Not to thread jack but that dealer brought back some good memories of when I picked up my first m
359M are nice looking wheels still, despite the weight.

If I got an M2C I would consider buying 4 front 359M 9" wheels to use as 19" snows running 245/35/19 all around. I think the offsets work.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 08:00 AM   #83
PaulAZ
Rep
Drives: Tecoma

do-it-your-self-er-types

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
I thought you don't need a bypass harness anymore if you just use Carly and disable the ASD?
This is a good question. Can the Active Sound Design (ASD) be removed by programming with an OBD (On Board Diagnostics) program and/or installing a bypass harness?

This is what I found:
I believe that a special wiring harness is needed to be installed in the trunk space of the car to help bypass the noise, I haven't found any evidence that OBD programs can delete this stupid feature, but I am probably wrong about this. However the OBD systems appear to be essential for the owner/mechanic do-it-your-self-er-types.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1202389

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1253955
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 09:15 AM   #84
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
This is a good question. Can the Active Sound Design (ASD) be removed by programming with an OBD (On Board Diagnostics) program and/or installing a bypass harness?

This is what I found:
I believe that a special wiring harness is needed to be installed in the trunk space of the car to help bypass the noise, I haven't found any evidence that OBD programs can delete this stupid feature, but I am probably wrong about this. However the OBD systems appear to be essential for the owner/mechanic do-it-your-self-er-types.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1202389

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1253955
BimmerCode. Much easier than installing the harness...plus you can code out some other annoying things like warnings on idrive and the horrible seat belt gongs. Worked on my OG M2...can't see why it wouldn't work on M2C...it's still an F series.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #85
AGM2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post
congrats!
congrats!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #86
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
BimmerCode. Much easier than installing the harness...plus you can code out some other annoying things like warnings on idrive and the horrible seat belt gongs. Worked on my OG M2...can't see why it wouldn't work on M2C...it's still an F series.
Also Carly can code out ASD. It's very user friendly. Basically anyone with limited computer skills can use it to customize many features.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 12:04 PM   #87
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
Also Carly can code out ASD. It's very user friendly. Basically anyone with limited computer skills can use it to customize many features.
What is Carly?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 12:08 PM   #88
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

https://www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/

I've used the Carly App on my car. It is really easy. The app won't let you change any coding without doing a backup first so if you don't like the result, you just restore the backup
Appreciate 1
StLuis51457.50