ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
I find it interesting that manufactures have to put that on for a tire that sticks out 1 cm (1/2 inch) where half the trucks in North Carolina have tires sticking out a foot with no mud flaps or anything.
USDOT requires all tires to be within the fender width or have mud flaps to prevent flying debris.
      03-12-2020, 11:11 AM   #244
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

I wonder if BMW will delay their MY21 launch with everything that is going on in the world. Still see plenty of M2C's on lots and can't imagine many people buying them now.
      03-12-2020, 01:24 PM   #245
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

The fender flares and associated laws are pretty clear in terms of requirement, e.g., dependent upon relationship of tires/tread to fender edge, and intended to protect other cars on the road from debris.

What I still do not understand is placement? Artemis photos show the typical fender flares seen with many 'sporty' cars. Aesthetically they do not bother me, however, they do not seem to serve the purpose intended. Namely placement seems sub optimal.

Anyone with insight I am lacking?

///AVM
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 03:17 PM   #246
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
The fender flares and associated laws are pretty clear in terms of requirement, e.g., dependent upon relationship of tires/tread to fender edge, and intended to protect other cars on the road from debris.

What I still do not understand is placement? Artemis photos show the typical fender flares seen with many 'sporty' cars. Aesthetically they do not bother me, however, they do not seem to serve the purpose intended. Namely placement seems sub optimal.

Anyone with insight I am lacking?

///AVM
Maybe it's a spray pattern thing that the Gnomes in Munich figured out? My Wife's Miata has something similar in a similar location.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 05:26 AM   #247
Mito21
Virile Driver
Spain
Rep
Drives: SO M2C / G20 330e

My new 2021 M2C was made on 7th March .. Anxious to know what are the new features ...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 06:12 AM   #248
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328Xi, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mito21 View Post
My new 2021 M2C was made on 7th March .. Anxious to know what are the new features ...
My production date is scheduled for the 13 week (3rd week in March) but BMW says its a 2020. Are you sure yours is a model year 21?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 07:58 AM   #249
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Mito

Have we not already been down this path? When previously questioned about your 2021 M2C, you relied:

As you can see in my post (#163), I have not said 2021 because I have not been told that. In Europe we do not talk of Model Years as in the US. There is a lot of time left for 2021. IMO my car is model year 2020, the year it will be manufactured.’

Now you are saying you purchased a ‘new 2021 M2C.’ So, again, do you have a sticker or purchase receipt indicating 2021 M2C build? How is it that Spain is selling and already building the next (2021) iteration of the M2C and the rest of the world is still awaiting BMW's announcement of the 2021 M2C release?

You also state, ‘Anxious to know what are the new features?’ How is it that you purchased a new vehicle for what equates to about 60-65K U.S. dollars and do not even know the features of the build?

///AVM

Last edited by ///AVM; 03-13-2020 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
Sarg33554.50
      03-13-2020, 09:02 AM   #250
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Now you are saying you purchased a ‘new 2021 M2C.’ So, again, do you have a sticker or purchase receipt indicating 2021 M2C build? How is it that Spain is selling and already building the next (2021) iteration of the M2C and the rest of the world is still awaiting BMW's announcement of the 2021 M2C release?

You also state, ‘Anxious to know what are the new features?’ How is it that you purchased a new vehicle for what equates to about 60-65K U.S. dollars and do not even know the features of the build?

///AVM
My thoughts exactly...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 11:48 AM   #251
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Although intuitive, I could be wrong in my assumption that the M2C and M2CS are being produced in the same plant with access to all the same parts bins?

Given the 21' iteration of the M2C and CS are reportedly the last of the F87 chassis, I have a hard time believing BMW is going to limit access to the parts bins?

I guess with the lack of insight or BMW release details, I am simply passing time with speculative thoughts.

///AVM

Last edited by ///AVM; 03-13-2020 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 03:54 PM   #252
Yak
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I saw my sales person yesterday. He said they will get one more allocation of the M2C as 2020 models before BMW switches over to building the M2CS as a 2021 model.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 10:47 AM   #253
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak View Post
I saw my sales person yesterday. He said they will get one more allocation of the M2C as 2020 models before BMW switches over to building the M2CS as a 2021 model.
Yak

Unless I misunderstand your post, your SA is suggesting there will be no 21' M2C, e.g., it will be replaced by the M2CS.

Respectfully, that goes against everything BMW has indicated to date, and I am more than skeptical of the information provided by your SA.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 12:03 PM   #254
Yak
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Yak

Unless I misunderstand your post, your SA is suggesting there will be no 21' M2C, e.g., it will be replaced by the M2CS.

Respectfully, that goes against everything BMW has indicated to date, and I am more than skeptical of the information provided by your SA.

///AVM
///AVM,

You understood my post perfectly. My SA posts on this forum, perhaps he’ll respond if I misunderstood him.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 12:59 PM   #255
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

If production gets pushed 3mo due to corona virus, then worldwide production may not start until June. Id be surprised if any are currently being produced. This would put some models built in 20 and some built in 21. Rather than split the model year they all could get a 21 designation so it doesn't matter when produced.

I have not read about anyone being contacted about their deliveries being pushed in Europe
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 01:03 PM   #256
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Someone mentioned on this board about delivery late April or early May for the CS.

Last edited by RPM33; 03-14-2020 at 06:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 09:30 AM   #257
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Competiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mito21 View Post
Nothing new. Some people have already picked up cars recently produced and all is the same except for the wheel trim.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 09:32 AM   #258
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Mito

Have we not already been down this path? When previously questioned about your 2021 M2C, you relied:

As you can see in my post (#163), I have not said 2021 because I have not been told that. In Europe we do not talk of Model Years as in the US. There is a lot of time left for 2021. IMO my car is model year 2020, the year it will be manufactured.’

///AVM
Adding to that post: we do speak Model Year in Europe. Most people just don't understand how it works.

There's no MY21 yet, as you correctly indicated.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 05:46 PM   #259
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

I periodically go to the BMW site and look at the M2C ‘Build Your Own.’ The Accessories have periodically changed over time.

As of today, I noticed you could option:

1. BMW M Performance Carbon Fiber Hood for $6,440
2. M Performance Carbon Fiber Side Panels for $5,000
3. M Performance Front Carbon Fiber Splitter for $1,690

Forgive me for not knowing how long these parts have been available to option out on the build site? I have not tinkered with the build in a while, but do not recall those options being available the last time I tinkered.

So, not even into the 21’ M2C release and BMW already making available options from the M2CS parts bin. Of course, at a premium. To my knowledge, the M2CS does not even come stock with carbon fiber side panels, so would not qualify as coming from the M2CS parts bin. . . which is weird because it seems BMW threw as many carbon fiber bits as possible at the M2CS?

At any rate, if the carbon fiber hood is an available option, what else is coming in 21’ with M2C? Carbon fiber roof? Adaptive suspension? . . . as from the outset of this thread, all just speculation, but not much more to do than overthink things during these crazy days.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 06:51 PM   #260
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
I periodically go to the BMW site and look at the M2C 'Build Your Own.' The Accessories have periodically changed over time.

Forgive me for not knowing how long these parts have been available to option out on the build site? I have not tinkered with the build in a while, but do not recall those options being available the last time I tinkered.

So, not even into the 21' M2C release and BMW already making available options from the M2CS parts bin. Of course, at a premium. To my knowledge, the M2CS does not even come stock with carbon fiber side panels, so would not qualify as coming from the M2CS parts bin. . . which is weird because it seems BMW threw as many carbon fiber bits as possible at the M2CS?

At any rate, if the carbon fiber hood is an available option, what else is coming in 21' with M2C? Carbon fiber roof? Adaptive suspension? . . . as from the outset of this thread, all just speculation, but not much more to do than overthink things during these crazy days.

///AVM
So these M performance parts have been around for awhile now. And unfortunately not new for MY21.

Also, there is a delineation between M performance parts and M OEM parts.

Now that factories are shutting down across auto brands, I really wonder if the announcement of the MY21 will be delayed until early Fall. Regardless, even if it is announced, I don't see many people jumping in line to buy due to the recession.
      03-17-2020, 06:56 PM   #261
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Quote:
I periodically go to the BMW site and look at the M2C 'Build Your Own.' The Accessories have periodically changed over time.

So, not even into the 21' M2C release and BMW already making available options from the M2CS parts bin. Of course, at a premium. To my knowledge, the M2CS does not even come stock with carbon fiber side panels, so would not qualify as coming from the M2CS parts bin. . . which is weird because it seems BMW threw as many carbon fiber bits as possible at the M2CS?

At any rate, if the carbon fiber hood is an available option, what else is coming in 21' with M2C? Carbon fiber roof? Adaptive suspension? . . . as from the outset of this thread, all just speculation, but not much more to do than overthink things during these crazy days.

///AVM
So these M performance parts have been around for awhile now. And unfortunately not new for MY21.

Also, there is a delineation between M performance parts and M OEM parts.

Now that factories are shutting down across auto brands, I really wonder if the announcement of the MY21 will be delayed until early Fall. Regardless, even if it is announced, I don't see many people jumping in line to buy due to the recession.
Thanks JC

I guess I was not up to date in knowing just how long those options have been available on the Build Site.

I did not think they were new for 21'M2C, as they are available for the current 20'. I just considered it a sign of possible things to come in the 21' release.

Admittedly, I got too much time on my hands right now.🤣

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 07:35 PM   #262
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:

///AVM
These are not factory options

They are port and/or dealer installed
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 07:47 PM   #263
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBoss302 View Post
Quote:

///AVM
Quote:

///AVM
These are not factory options

They are port and/or dealer installed
VT

How come they are on the Build Site as Accessory options available in the build?

I guess I don't understand the importance of distinguishing where the parts are installed? They are build options that the buyer can select and purchase, and the vehicle will arrive with items installed at time of delivery.

I mean, for example, if adaptive suspension is listed as an accessory option with 21' M2C build, what would it matter if suspension were installed at factory or port?

No cynicism on my part. I just do not understand the importance of distinguishing whether parts installed at factory or port?

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 05:22 AM   #264
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
VT

How come they are on the Build Site as Accessory options available in the build?

I guess I don't understand the importance of distinguishing where the parts are installed? They are build options that the buyer can select and purchase, and the vehicle will arrive with items installed at time of delivery.

I mean, for example, if adaptive suspension is listed as an accessory option with 21' M2C build, what would it matter if suspension were installed at factory or port?

No cynicism on my part. I just do not understand the importance of distinguishing whether parts installed at factory or port?

///AVM
Adaptive suspension would have to be a factory installation due to its complexity. It won't come though.

Ultimately the difference between a factory build or port is that the factory build is the one which defines the MY. What's done at the port is just the installement of M Performance parts, which have nothing to do with the MY'y build. The parts you mentioned are not just outrageously expensive, they're also available since the launch of the M2C (and in part of the original M2).
Appreciate 0