BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Future Classic license plate bracket

10-06-2020, 11:24 AM   #1
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Future Classic license plate bracket

I purchased this slimline license plate bracket from Future Classic recently: https://futureclassic.us/products/fu...se-plate-frame

I wanted a bracket that was slim, made out of billet aluminum, and sturdy. Much to my disappointment, when I went to install it, it won't fit the standard IL license plate. The bracket is too small - in both length and width - by a few millimeters. I'm not sure if the plate grew in size (quite possible) and they never adjusted the size of the bracket they sell.

I sent multiple emails to them about this issue and heard no response. Is this common? - Their website doesn't list a phone number either. I filled out the contact-us form, as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 12:40 PM   #2
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

weird since the pictures they had on the site were cars with IL plates.
Appreciate 1
HODLM363.50
      10-06-2020, 01:13 PM   #3
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PUTT View Post
weird since the pictures they had on the site were cars with IL plates.
Yes, but the IL plates they have in the photos are not standard IL plates. Those are specialty plates.

I'm guessing they didn't test-fit the bracket with the latest plates. And that's ok. I just reached out to them several times to see if they can remedy this, but frankly I'm a little put off by their lack of response regarding this matter.

I also texted them several times using their website's "chat now" feature, only to be left stranded with no response after I explained the issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
MikeM5
Future Classic
Philippines
Rep
Drives: BMW / Porsche

Chiming in here, not sure why our e-mails are not reaching you but we've responded twice (once after receipt of your e-mail yesterday and again today). Sorry for the difficulties you're having—putting a plate frame on should certainly not yield any frustration. Please see the following as our latest e-mail response to you (11:17AM):

Hi Maciej,

We sent you an e-mail yesterday in response. Please see below:

Hi Maciej! Thanks for the message. Sorry for the difficulty—the plate should actually sit flush with the frame, not reside within it. Here is a photo album illustrating how it should mount:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikem5...57715890899478

For clarity, I will post some photos here for reference. We have installed this plate frame on a plethora of IL plates—both standard and specialty for years. We will be happy to compare measurements of your plate versus any of the cars at our immediate disposal to help remedy your issue. The current series of IL plates appears to be unchanged since January 1, 2017: 12 in x 6 in so please verify that your new plate does indeed conform to these measurements.

Pictured installed with a standard IL plate (Old)

Pictured installed with a specialty IL plate

Pictured installed with a standard IL plate (New)

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Melbourne E90 M3 | Jet Black E46 M3 | Techno E36 M3 | 997.2 C2S | 958 Cayenne GTS

Last edited by MikeM5; 10-06-2020 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #5
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM5 View Post
Chiming in here, not sure why our e-mails are not reaching you but we've responded twice (once after receipt of your e-mail yesterday and again today). Sorry for the difficulties you're having—putting a plate frame on should certainly not yield any frustration. Please see the following as our latest e-mail response to you (11:17AM):

Hi Maciej,

We sent you an e-mail yesterday in response. Please see below:

Hi Maciej! Thanks for the message. Sorry for the difficulty—the plate should actually sit flush with the frame, not reside within it. Here is a photo album illustrating how it should mount:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikem5...57715890899478

For clarity, I will post some photos here for reference. We have installed this plate frame on a plethora of IL plates—both standard and specialty for years. We will be happy to compare measurements of your plate versus any of the cars at our immediate disposal to help remedy your issue. The current series of IL plates appears to be unchanged since January 1, 2017: 12 in x 6 in so please verify that your new plate does indeed conform to these measurements.

[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...0212dfbc_b.jpg[/IMG]
Pictured installed with a standard IL plate (Old)

[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...1ac1cd8a_b.jpg[/IMG]
Pictured installed with a specialty IL plate

[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...101668ce_b.jpg[/IMG]
Pictured installed with a standard IL plate (New)

If you need further assistance, please let us know.
I did not receive a single email response. I suspect something is wrong on your end in that regard. I checked spam. Nothing there either.

Anyway, I appreciate your feedback. It is not immediately obvious that the plate is suppose to sit flush with the bracket given the design. The website description of the bracket doesn't mention this anywhere either.

Additionally, the screws I received don't work with the stock rear plate mount.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 03:00 PM   #6
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by j23 View Post
I did not receive a single email response. I suspect something is wrong on your end in that regard. I checked spam. Nothing there either.

Anyway, I appreciate your feedback. It is not immediately obvious that the plate is suppose to sit flush with the bracket given the design. The website description of the bracket doesn't mention this anywhere either.

I bought the same license plate frame from Future Classic and have had similar issues

As you noted, the screws don't work with the stock rear plate mount

I e-mailed Future Classic on 9/25/2020 about the issue

Unfortunately, like you, I never received a reply and as you mentioned before they don't list a phone number to contact

Here is a copy of the text in the e-mail I sent

"Dear Future Classic

I'm hoping you might be able to help me

I purchased a Slimline Aluminum Plate Frame + Hardware Kit in Hyper Black for my 2020 BMW M2 Competition a few months ago

Order # 1556

Unfortunately, I don’t think the hardware kit (which appears to be M5 x 10mm machine screws) is going to work with my factory license plate holder which is made entirely of thin plastic

I believe I will need tapping screws to secure the license plate frame to the holder

Is there any chance you can supply me with some black tapping screws of a similar size?

I would be extremely grateful for any assistance you can provide

Kind regards

George"
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 03:25 PM   #7
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020M2Competition View Post
Quote:

I bought the same license plate frame from Future Classic and have had similar issues

Unfortunately, like you, I never received a reply and as you mentioned before they don't list a phone number to contact

"Dear Future Classic

I purchased a Slimline Aluminum Plate Frame + Hardware Kit in Hyper Black for my 2020 BMW M2 Competition a few months ago

Order # 1556

Unfortunately, I don't think the hardware kit (which appears to be M5 x 10mm machine screws) is going to work with my factory license plate holder which is made entirely of thin plastic

I believe I will need tapping screws to secure the license plate frame to the holder

Is there any chance you can supply me with some black tapping screws of a similar size?

Kind regards

George"
Man, I'm glad I'm not alone. I contacted them 4 times since last week. Twice via email. Once via contact us form. Once via website chat. They responded to the chat today asking what I need help with. I wrote back... 4 hours later, no response.

As for the plate, I just went to install it on the rear. I can't believe I'm saying this, but this bracket is impossible to install.

It is the most confusing and weirdest design I have ever come across. If you want to install the way they recommend, it means that one of the screws will have to be longer and under great tension. It's hard to explain, unless one sees this in person. And the screws they provided don't fit at all. The stock screws are too short for them to work in one of the holes.

I'm very disappointed in this bracket. I mean this shouldn't be rocket science. I'm stuck with an $80 bracket that's unusable. There's no way they used the stock screws for this. They won't grab the threads in one of the holes. Physically impossible. The included screws don't work at all. Plate description on the website says nothing about how this bracket works. One can only assume it's a normal everyday license plate bracket, but it's not.
Appreciate 1
StephGOD218.50
      10-06-2020, 03:53 PM   #8
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
You guys paid $80 for that?
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 04:06 PM   #9
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandt51 View Post
Unfortunately. I should have gone for a BMW slimline frame at 1/4th the cost. Lesson learned.

Open to suggestions on plate frames if you got any...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 04:38 PM   #10
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
$93.06 to be exact ($79.00 frame + $14.06 shipping)

Basically a $100 paperweight right now
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 05:01 PM   #11
ADDONE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M40i 2019 X5 2021 M2C

Quote:
Quote:

Did you pay with a credit card?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 05:07 PM   #12
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately. I should have gone for a BMW slimline frame at 1/4th the cost. Lesson learned.

I have the BMW slimline frame

A few of things I don't like about it

It uses plastic spacers between the stock plate mount and the license plate so the plate is not as flush with the trunk as before

The hardware hiders are also plastic and prone to break

You will need to use them or washers because the head diameter of the hardware is not large enough to secure the frame

It rattles when I close the trunk (although I might be able to get rid of this by tweaking the frame and/or license plate a bit)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 05:07 PM   #13
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Same here.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 06:03 PM   #14
MikeM5
Future Classic
Philippines
Rep

Quote:

"Dear Future Classic

Order # 1556

Unfortunately, I don’t think the hardware kit (which appears to be M5 x 10mm machine screws) is going to work with my factory license plate holder which is made entirely of thin plastic

Kind regards

George"
Very strange. We didn't receive any communication from you either. Our hardware was sourced after referencing hardware recommended by a local BMW dealership. They are M5x0.8 screws FWIW. I will have to touch base with the dealership again to see if there has been a revision since to a self-tapping variant. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

George, please shoot me a PM to get your the screws you need. Will have to sort out our online chat / e-mail issues.

Melbourne E90 M3 | Jet Black E46 M3 | Techno E36 M3 | 997.2 C2S | 958 Cayenne GTS
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2020, 06:08 PM   #15
MikeM5
Future Classic
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Man, I'm glad I'm not alone. I contacted them 4 times since last week. Twice via email. Once via contact us form. Once via website chat. They responded to the chat today asking what I need help with. I wrote back... 4 hours later, no response.

As for the plate, I just went to install it on the rear. I can't believe I'm saying this, but this bracket is impossible to install.

It is the most confusing and weirdest design I have ever come across. If you want to install the way they recommend, it means that one of the screws will have to be longer and under great tension. It's hard to explain, unless one sees this in person. And the screws they provided don't fit at all. The stock screws are too short for them to work in one of the holes.

I'm very disappointed in this bracket. I mean this shouldn't be rocket science. I'm stuck with an $80 bracket that's unusable. There's no way they used the stock screws for this. They won't grab the threads in one of the holes. Physically impossible. The included screws don't work at all. Plate description on the website says nothing about how this bracket works. One can only assume it's a normal everyday license plate bracket, but it's not.

We used this particular design to accommodate for some vintage models (both BMW and otherwise) that have a protruding trunk lock which does not allow us to achieve the thin perimeter that we wanted without mounting the frame as such.

They've been a popular choice for several marques, but apparently the new BMW crowd would very much appreciate another design specifically designed to accommodate the plate within the frame. Thanks for the feedback.

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 06:20 PM   #16
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Very strange. We didn't receive any communication from you either. Our hardware was sourced after referencing hardware recommended by a local BMW dealership. They are M5x0.8 screws FWIW. I will have to touch base with the dealership again to see if there has been a revision since to a self-tapping variant. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

George, please shoot me a PM to get your the screws you need. Will have to sort out our online chat / e-mail issues.
You're probably using the wrong hardware without realizing that not every BMW rear plate mount is the same. Some BMW mounts have metal screw inlets, like this: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...SABEgIJaPD_BwE

Others (like the OEM M2 Competition mount) don't have these: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/51139448724/
As a result, your hardware won't work. You need to send out tapping screws that cut into the plastic. That's how OE BMW plate screws look that came with my car. But because the OE BMW tapping screws are relatively short and the plastic they dig into is flimsy, it is not physically possible to mount your frame to our mount using either the provided screws or the OE tapping screws. Go try it on an M2C and see for yourself. At least one or two of the OE screws won't fasten your frame to the mount because at least one corner is too far apart from the plate due to the "flush" design.

Quote:

We used this particular design to accommodate for some vintage models (both BMW and otherwise) that have a protruding trunk lock which does not allow us to achieve the thin perimeter that we wanted without mounting the frame as such.

They've been a popular choice for several marques, but apparently the new BMW crowd would very much appreciate another design specifically designed to accommodate the plate within the frame. Thanks for the feedback.
It's not about the plate being within the frame. The frame and screws that you sent are impossible to mount on M2C. See above.
Appreciate 1
StephGOD218.50
      10-06-2020, 06:26 PM   #17
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

PM sent
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 06:38 PM   #18
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:

I can recommend a Los Angeles Lakers license plate frame. However, you’ll get cut off. A lot. Also, you can forget about people letting you in to merge.
Appreciate 2
      10-07-2020, 01:46 AM   #19
StephGOD
KYHOMPB
United_States
Rep
Drives: Only BMW's Ja

Garage List
2020 M2C  [0.00]
2017 M3 Comp  [0.00]
2011 135i  [0.00]
FWIW I had the same exact issue(s) with my frame as well a few months back & their communication was really lacking. Ended up just trimming my plate to make it sit flush inside the frame like it should've been designed to do in the first place IMO. With that said, glad to see MikeM5 is stepping in and trying to make things right at least. PM headed your way as I need a set of the correct screws as well if at all possible.

Last edited by StephGOD; 10-09-2020 at 11:52 PM..
Appreciate 3
j23654.50
MikeM5261.00
      10-07-2020, 07:41 PM   #20
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

I almost bought one cause the etching looked cool before I realized. 80$ for a black license plate frame? oh no!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 09:02 AM   #21
MikeM5
Future Classic
Philippines
Rep

Just wanted to update everyone with our plans to ensure the M2C community gets sorted:

What I will do is order some new plate frame hardware (self tapping) from the dealer and then verify the length / pitch required for the new bracket—there is no definitive screw as noted by BMW. We are amidst a testing program for some E9X and F8X product, so please bear with us for a week or so as we are trying to take advantage of the nice Chicago weather before winter barrels down upon us.

The bracket changeover occurred on 01/19. That said, both P/Ns strangely have the exact same application lists:

https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/parts/i...0607/appliance

https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/parts/i...8724/appliance

Because of this, there wouldn't have been any way we could've known about the switchover to self tapping unless BMW released some sort of bulletin for such a small part, which they wouldn't. That said, we will be putting in the work to ensure we source the self tapping variant in anodized form and then adding a dropdown for users wherein you can select the right hardware type for your needs.

Affected users will certainly get these new units at a discount once they are available to help quell some of the frustrations that we did not foresee. We feel bad that M2C owners have been so heavily inconvenienced by this and it's painful to see our reputation for excellence tarnished by screws. Nevertheless, we consider our hardware offering to be a really nice icing on the cake with our beautifully machined / hand-brushed frame and we will get a hardware type dropdown implemented as soon as possible.

Thank you all for your support and help!

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 09:19 AM   #22
CKr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1998 E36 M3

Mike, appreciate the update. I was affected by this too. I got around it by slightly drilling out the backing plate holes, which allowed me to use the screws included in the FC frame kit. It feels sturdy, but I'm sure self-tapping screws would be the way to go.

Edit: Mike, I purchased my frame through IND in June of this year and originally emailed them about the included hardware. They replied, CCing info@futur..., but it doesn't look like I ever got a response. Just another data point for you in case it helps track down any issues on your end.
Appreciate 1
MikeM5261.00