BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Rear turn indicator failure

View Poll Results: Have your M2C rear indicator units failed?
Yes 135 63.68%
No 77 36.32%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

07-17-2020, 08:17 AM   #45
LuNguyen
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

My 2018 built competition had the warm monitoring active. I got the error recently and have coded it out for now. If that fails I might try Poochie's grounding solution.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 12:47 PM   #46
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Can you add a third option to the poll?

"I don't know: I'm a real BMW driver and don't use indicators.."
Appreciate 4
Poffman493.00
M2 CCO1050.00
      07-18-2020, 06:02 PM   #47
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

My warm check for the indicators was on. It was off for every other "warm check". I turned it off today, so we'll see if I get any more alerts.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 10:44 PM   #48
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
My warm check for the indicators was on. It was off for every other "warm check". I turned it off today, so we'll see if I get any more alerts.
Nice, I suspected that the bulb-check was causing this issue but one of your fellow members claim that the "warm check" was off for the M2C, so I took them at their word.

I didn't have a M2C or LCI to test the theory, so assume he was correct.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26015813

My "warm checks" has been off since day one, when I did this retrofit and I never, not even once, had any issue with rapid-flashing.
Appreciate 1
MASHCT544.50
      07-18-2020, 10:48 PM   #49
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Nice, I suspected that the bulb-check was causing this issue but one of your fellow members claim that the "warm check" was off for the M2C, so I took them at their word.

My "warm checks" has been off since day one, when I did this retrofit and I never, not even once had an issue with rapid-flashing.
Mine was an early build. Could have something to do with it. Or, this might be something they mess up from time to time. Of course, my drive home after I made the change was all left turns, so I have no idea if it helped yet.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      07-18-2020, 11:03 PM   #50
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Quote:

My "warm checks" has been off since day one, when I did this retrofit and I never, not even once had an issue with rapid-flashing.
Mine was an early build. Could have something to do with it. Or, this might be something they mess up from time to time. Of course, my drive home after I made the change was all left turns, so I have no idea if it helped yet.
Thank you for your feedback. I strongly suspect that you won't have this issue anymore.
After another month or so, can you please update this thread on your findings.

I really want to get to the bottom of this issue, however, I'm at the mercy of individual users here, for their accurate trial & error data, so your contribution would be helpful. Or else, threads like these will pop up, every other month.

There are only so many pieces that make this system operate properly, process of elimination is the only way to root out this problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 09:03 AM   #51
oln08
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2

Dec 2018 built M2C here.
Been having this left rear signal malfunctions intermittently, mostly the first 10 minutes of every drive then it'll go away for the rest of the day.
Complained to the dealer, found a fault when they scanned but physically found nothing on inspection so they didn't replace anything.
My warm check was on. It's been 2 days since i turned it off and I have not gotten the fault again. Will report back if it comes up again.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      07-19-2020, 10:36 AM   #52
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Thank you for your feedback. I strongly suspect that you won't have this issue anymore.

I really want to get to the bottom of this issue, however, I'm at the mercy of individual users here, for their accurate trial & error data, so your contribution would be helpful. Or else, threads like these will pop up, every other month.

There are only so many pieces that make this system operate properly, process of elimination is the only way to root out this problem.

Poochie is our very own alchemical genius. Attached is photo of Poochie working away late into the evening hunting down answers to all of our questions on all things BMW.

I just coded out the rear indicator warm monitor as well. Will let you know results over time!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Poochie9099.00
MASHCT544.50
      07-19-2020, 10:43 AM   #53
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
Quote:

Poochie is our very own alchemical genius. Attached is photo of Poochie working away late into the evening hunting down answers to all of our questions on all things BMW.

I just coded out the rear indicator warm monitor as well. Will let you know results over time!
😂😂😂

That photo literally made me LOL..

Nah, I'm really just a nerd like that, it's more for my own personal benefit than yours..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 10:43 AM   #54
Poochie
United_States
Rep

My car is in for service and the dealer gave me a brand new X2 loaner car, with just 150 miles on the odometer (build date 03/2020) and in typical BMW fashion, it has the identical rapid-flashing turn signal issue, that everyone seems to be experiencing with the M2LCI/M2C.

I coded out the front & rear turn signal 'bulb-checks' and let it sit for awhile, which have seems to definitely level out this aforementioned error, thus far..

Let's see if it holds.. 🤞🏼
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 11:07 PM   #55
desertking
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: C43 AMG / Porsche Caynneu

Mine is left light and it is not always appear problematic. This is quite annoying though.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #56
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
😂😂😂

That photo literally made me LOL..

Nah, I'm really just a nerd like that, it's more for my own personal benefit than yours..

Poochie, dude, ever since I coded out the rear indicator warm monitoring, no more issues whatsoever with my rear left turn indicator.

Time will tell, but for the time being, I'm notching this as a provisional win on your belt.

You are truly the Rain Man of BMW.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      07-23-2020, 04:32 PM   #57
19x
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

What is the purpose of the warm checks?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 05:21 PM   #58
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19x View Post
What is the purpose of the warm checks?

The "bulb check" circuit in these vehicles was a holdover from when BMW used incandescent lights, which was implemented to detect what it believes to be a burn out light bulb.

Same as the rapid turn signal flashing rate is increased, from the data it receives from the "bulb outage check" system, incidentally, notifying the driver that there is a potential issue.

It works by monitoring the current flow, so when there is less of a power drawn, the system assumes that said bulb is blown, as it was designed to.

This system causes a problem when the bulb check is active and fitted with LEDs, since it was originally designed for the power draw detection of incandescent bulbs only. LEDs uses far less current than incandescent lights, so the system activates and causes the rapid flashing.

The bulb check system doesn't distinguish between LED or incandescent bulbs power draw, however, in BMW's infinite wisdom, decided to leave the "warm bulb check" active with their LED setup, making the system assume that there an incandescent bulb outage, when it in fact the LEDs are fine, just merely using less current, by nature.

Coding out the 'bulb check' completely eliminates this issue because the system is not longer checking for a potentially blown out lighting, with a typical incandescent higher amperage draw, hence, no error.

As I stated previously, I have a new loaner car, first driver and on the very first day, I instantly encountered this infamous rapid flashing turn signal error.

I coded out the bulb check and the issue hasn't return in over 6 days and counting, so I can personally vouch that this is indeed a permanent solution to this error.
Appreciate 9
19x459.50
cptobvious2531.50
CSBM52695.50
Altra265.50
Aim.F32301.50
AndrewC198910903.50
MASHCT544.50
      07-23-2020, 07:18 PM   #59
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
The "bulb check" circuit in these vehicles was a holdover from when BMW used incandescent lights, which was implemented to detect what it believes to be a burn out light bulb.

Same as the rapid turn signal flashing rate is increased, from the data it receives from the "bulb outage check" system, incidentally, notifying the driver that there is a potential issue.

It works by monitoring the current flow, so when there is less of a power drawn, the system assumes that said bulb is blown, as it was designed to.

This system causes a problem when the bulb check is active and fitted with LEDs, since it was originally designed for the power draw detection of incandescent bulbs only. LEDs uses far less current than incandescent lights, so the system activates and causes the rapid flashing.

The bulb check system doesn't distinguish between LED or incandescent bulbs power draw, however, in BMW's infinite wisdom, decided to leave the "warm bulb check" active with their LED setup, making the system assume that there an incandescent bulb outage, when it in fact the LEDs are fine, just merely using less current, by nature.

Coding out the 'bulb check' completely eliminates this issue because the system is not longer checking for a potentially blown out lighting, with a typical incandescent higher amperage draw, hence, no error.

As I stated previously, I have a new loaner car, first driver and on the very first day, I instantly encountered this infamous rapid flashing turn signal error.

I coded out the bulb check and the issue hasn't return in over 6 days and counting, so I can personally vouch that this is indeed a permanent solution to this error.
Great info Poochie and thank you for actively sharing your knowledge.

I just started having this issue a few weeks ago after having the car for just over a year with zero issue. 9/2018 production date M2C. It is intermittent but comes and goes on the same drive without an ignition cycle.

I wonder how the system can detect a failed LED bulb with or even without the "warm" check?

I do have Bimmercode and will give it a shot tomorrow or Saturday and report back.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      07-23-2020, 07:41 PM   #60
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
Great info Poochie and thank you for actively sharing your knowledge.

I just started having this issue a few weeks ago after having the car for just over a year with zero issue. 9/2018 production date M2C. It is intermittent but comes and goes on the same drive without an ignition cycle.

I wonder how the system can detect a failed LED bulb with or even without the "warm" check?

I do have Bimmercode and will give it a shot tomorrow or Saturday and report back.
No problem.. It's my privilege to be able share and bounce data off you guys, that's actually in the field..

And I traced back the lighting system's circuitry and concluded that it's kind of rudimentary in its construction & modus operandi.

Meaning, there is no specific sensor monitoring an outage of each light/LED, it's more so just the Body/Front Control module monitoring the direct flow current, which based on its set algorithm, it indirectly triggers an error (or not).

The only drawback of disabling the bulb check, is that system will no longer warn you, regardless if the lighting is working or not.

All you're doing is essentially going old-school and shutting off the check monitors, which is not a loss anyways, since by nature, LEDs obviously can't properly be monitored by BMW's archaic, direct current check and LEDs have a very long shelf-life; they'll probably outlast the vehicle, unlike incandescent bulb, which has a tendency to eventually burn out, essentially rending the bulb check system for LEDs, moot.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 08:46 PM   #61
shadow135i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Garage List
Funny I just came upon this thread.

I had this happen for the very first time on my left rear indicator today when I left work. I have a March '19 build MY2020 M2C with about 15k miles. I would vote yes in the poll but they never work on my Android app for some reason.

I would code it out like others have mentioned but I'm still with the locked DME software. Dang it...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 09:32 PM   #62
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
No problem.. It's my privilege to be able share and bounce data off you guys, that's actually in the field..

And I traced back the lighting system's circuitry and concluded that it's kind of rudimentary in its construction & modus operandi.

Meaning, there is no specific sensor monitoring an outage of each light/LED, it's more so just the Body/Front Control module monitoring the direct flow current, which based on its set algorithm, it indirectly triggers an error (or not).

The only drawback of disabling the bulb check, is that system will no longer warn you, regardless if the lighting is working or not.

All you're doing is essentially going old-school and shutting off the check monitors, which is not a loss anyways, since by nature, LEDs obviously can't properly be monitored by BMW's archaic, direct current check and LEDs have a very long shelf-life; they'll probably outlast the vehicle, unlike incandescent bulb, which has a tendency to eventually burn out, essentially rending the bulb check system for LEDs, moot.
Thanks for that. I wonder why the presumed fix from dealer, at least from one member here, is a harness repair? I know someone else asked, but there must be some reason they are not just recoding. I am of course assuming, correctly I think, that BMW is aware of the issue because the issued a TSB/TIS.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 10:28 PM   #63
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

I haven't had a error since I turned off the check. When the car goes in for it's second annual service, I may turn it back on and report the problem. Just to see what they do.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 11:35 PM   #64
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
Quote:

Thanks for that. I wonder why the presumed fix from dealer, at least from one member here, is a harness repair? I know someone else asked, but there must be some reason they are not just recoding. I am of course assuming, correctly I think, that BMW is aware of the issue because the issued a TSB/TIS.
There is no official fix for this issue, decoding the bulb checks is the only viable solution and it remaining active is the actual cause of this error.

The TSB currently available only applies to the pre-LCI, non-LED taillights (see below). You can plug in your VIN and see for yourself.

https://www.automd.com/tsb/bmw_m/

BMW AG is not going to download the Bimmercode APP, ApplePay $30 and then remove everyone's bulb check. For them to officially correct this particular issues, the changes would have implement into a full iLevel software revision, as they don't do individuals lines of coding changes, on an official franchise dealer-level.

So unless it's a federally-mandated recall, I sincerely doubt they're going invest the resources to developing a fix & then update the software of every owner's vehicle, just to address this non critical issue.

My guess is they'll just sweep it under the rug, until the models affected with this issue is eventually phased out of production. 🤫
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Got f1?679.50
      07-24-2020, 09:45 AM   #65
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

I'm actually fine with the rapid rear turn signal. I feel it's a more aggressive and noticeable warning to the vehicle behind me that I'm about to cut them off. Always safety first with BMW
Appreciate 2
HSM2C17.00
MASHCT544.50
      07-25-2020, 02:53 AM   #66
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

I have M2C built 08/2018.

Have this issue. The dealer is replacing both rear lights.
I told them it will not work and we better code as explained on this forum. They refused to do so and plan to change both rear lights
Appreciate 0