01-20-2020, 01:20 PM   #67
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
Dear god don't get a DCT. Please say not ain't so.
I know, I've driven nothing but manuals my entire life except for a 1 year window when I regrettably got rid of my S2000 for an 08 328xi and hated every minute of it. I've always preferred manuals but after test driving an S3 and RS3, the automatics these days are more like automatic manuals. For me, it will also help with fuel economy.

With my usage of the car, I do not go to the track or do any mountain driving. I drive back and forth to work and drive spiritedly when the opportunity presents itself. Figured with the DCT, I can enjoy my coffee in the morning and enjoy my time in traffic a bit more. In my BRZ its a bit of a struggle dealing with NJ roads and a manual, while trying not to spill my coffee in the morning. I'm not 100% sold on the DCT yet, but I am 45% considering it. Once I do a test drive that will be the true answer.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 06:45 PM   #68
Ewc
Rep
Drives: Mini Clubman JCW

Maybe consider a 230 manual if you’re concerned about fuel economy? Reviews say it feels lighter and more nimble than a 235/240. 0-60 in about 5.0 seconds isn’t bad and the economy should be great.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...mparison-test/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
I know, I've driven nothing but manuals my entire life except for a 1 year window when I regrettably got rid of my S2000 for an 08 328xi and hated every minute of it. I've always preferred manuals but after test driving an S3 and RS3, the automatics these days are more like automatic manuals. For me, it will also help with fuel economy.

With my usage of the car, I do not go to the track or do any mountain driving. I drive back and forth to work and drive spiritedly when the opportunity presents itself. Figured with the DCT, I can enjoy my coffee in the morning and enjoy my time in traffic a bit more. In my BRZ its a bit of a struggle dealing with NJ roads and a manual, while trying not to spill my coffee in the morning. I'm not 100% sold on the DCT yet, but I am 45% considering it. Once I do a test drive that will be the true answer.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 03:29 AM   #69
horan116
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
My electric car is completely paid for by the fuel costs I save not driving my M as a daily.

And it totally offsets my carbon footprint.

You will absolutely love the M2.
This... my i3 lease is basically free since it has become my commuter car and currently access to free electric charging is fairly abundant at the moment. Pretending that gas mileage will be good in an M2 is laughable... the car is simply to much fun to drive "spiritedly". I average roughly 19 mpg total.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 08:08 AM   #70
RocketTR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by horan116 View Post
This... my i3 lease is basically free .....
So you're saying that the money you save on fuel (free electricity) offsets your lease payment, your insurance coverage, and whatever maintenance costs for your i3? Somehow I find that very hard to believe. Getting a second car to save money never really works. You can't save more money in fuel than than you spend for everything else. It's just not possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 08:23 AM   #71
RocketTR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post

My personal opinion is that having an m2 does not give anyone a free card to pollute the environment. I try to be as considerate as possible and not drive full throttle to every stop light. I also have the possibility to go by bicycle to work which I have to do every day all year long no matter the weather so that I can use my car with good conscience when I get feel for driving it.

I also don't bash those who don't fully agree with my personal philosophy because I feel for what I feel for and not everyone is the same. Only thing that I can't fully understand is people saying that they don't want to use auto start/stop because it feels weird or something...I can't think of anything more egoistic (car wise) than polluting the air while standing still because it is totally unnecessary and that it "feels weird/strange" is not an excuse in my opinion.

Peace out!
I think a lot of guys don't want the extra wear and tear associated with the constant start/stop cycling of the engine.

The other thing to question is just how much "extra" pollution is being created by not using start/stop systems. Modern cars are better than ever at minimizing pollution, so any benefits are minimal. Maybe collectively it will make a significant difference, but not so much when you start looking at the minority of drivers who actively turn off their start/stop systems.

Hell, I switched from a gasoline lawn mower to a battery electric lawn mower last year, so I far more than offset my carbon footprint for not using start/stop at all. The EPA says that one hour of lawn mower operation pollutes the air equal to 11 passengers cars being driven for 1 hour. So when you think about the small amount of time, on average, that your car engine is shut off using start/stop, then it's clear that there's a huge difference here.

If your main concern is the environment, then there are lots of other choices other than conventional gasoline engine cars. Plug-in hybrids are a much better choice. Or better yet--full electric.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      01-23-2020, 08:34 AM   #72
horan116
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketTR View Post
Quote:
So you're saying that the money you save on fuel (free electricity) offsets your lease payment, your insurance coverage, and whatever maintenance costs for your i3? Somehow I find that very hard to believe. Getting a second car to save money never really works. You can't save more money in fuel than than you spend for everything else. It's just not possible.
I average roughly $238 a month in fuel on the M2 as a daily. My i3 lease is 202 a month plus 50 a month in insurance. The $14 or so dollars could be depreciation saved which is probably more. Not to mention the EV rebate of $1500 for just leasing the car.

I never have charged the car at home and only filled up the range extended (2.2 gallons) 4 times. The math works out really well. Living in an area when the M2 is off the road for 3-4 months the math works extremely well in the winter. Of course with both cars on the road it hurts the other way a little.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 09:26 PM   #73
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketTR View Post
Quote:
If I recall there were some crazy lease deals on these things.

https://insideevs.com/features/33781...112-per-month/
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 12:54 PM   #74
DGR TSR
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp; 2015 M235i Coupe

Northern California. First 1000 miles. M2C DCT. 27-29 freeway; 24-25 two lane; 21-22 urban. The weight of your right foot dramatically affects mpg.

Last edited by DGR TSR; 02-16-2020 at 12:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 07:59 PM   #75
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR TSR View Post
Northern California. First 1000 miles. M2C DCT. 27-29 freeway; 24-25 two lane; 22-24 urban. The weight of your right foot dramatically affects mpg.
That's crazy gas milage for California gas.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 02:02 PM   #76
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Not looking to tune, but considering this would be my daily and I drive 100 miles a day or 24k a year, I'd consider this a problem.
I have 42,000 miles and 27 track days on my OG M2. Not a single problem. Don't tune your car to 450 plus HP and you will not have an issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 09:00 PM   #77
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Can anyone else weigh in on the highway fuel economy of the M2? This is with a light foot and not beating on it. Hoping to be able to stretch a tank 2.5/3 days of work. If I can get at least 26 mpg I think I am going M2 over M240i/S3.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 09:35 PM   #78
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
Can anyone else weigh in on the highway fuel economy of the M2? This is with a light foot and not beating on it. Hoping to be able to stretch a tank 2.5/3 days of work. If I can get at least 26 mpg I think I am going M2 over M240i/S3.
I feel like there is no way you are going to be able to enjoy the M2...sounds like you are going to be stressing yourself out on a daily basis trying to achieve optimal gas mileage...which means you'll be focusing on something the car wasn't built to achieve, which will lead to constant disappointment and frustration.

Good luck in your decision.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      02-19-2020, 09:53 PM   #79
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Not really, lol, it's not that big of a thing. But it would be nice to know that I can make it 3 days without refueling if I am gentle on the gas, which I usually am to and from work.

I'm not really concerned about the cost of fuel, it's how many stops at the gas station.
Appreciate 0